True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

I am attempting to make soap this weekend for the 1st time and wondered if anyone has a particular tip or advise for a novice soap maker? I have all of the ingredients in a kit I purchased at Lehman's and I have a scale. Any suggestions??

Thanks for the help.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mag!

There are so many resources on the web that will tell you how to make soap and the safety procedures. Go to Google and put in soap making. The best place that I know of is Miller's Soap. The one recommendation I would make is to read, read , read to make sure you have all the steps down before you make the soap. And make sure you have protective eye wear, face mask, and rubber gloves. Once you feel comfortable with the procedures then just go for it!

The first time I made soap with Missy I broke out in a cold sweat when I got ready to pour the lye into the water. I was so scared of the lye. Now I'm not afraid of it anymore but have a respect for it and am very careful. That is probably the most important thing.

Let us know how your soap turns out!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  02:06:03 AM  Show Profile
http://thymeforewe.com/handmade_soap.html
You can skip the recipe and go to the instructions.

The first time I made soap the kids could have starved, the phone could ring off the hook, heck, the world could have come to and end...as long as nobody entered the kitchen or distracted me. I'd read a book that said "never stop stirring" and I took that to heart. The best thing you can do is relax, take a deep breath , be careful and have fun.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  05:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Mag,
Miller site is great, that's where I started...
http://millersoap.com/
Once you saponify you will be hooked!!!!
Enjoy!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  07:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mag- the best advice I can give- other than reading the above sites is to get one of the those hand blenders from walmart. They are a godsend! (You know the kind that you use to mix powders into liquids or make gravies and such with) without those you have to stir quite a bit to get "Trace". Usually I get trace in less than 3-5 minutes with a stick blender whereas with manual stirring you can be there for a while! Just watch out for splashes but don't be afraid of it either.

I will make a confession that I DO NOT want you to follow. I never wear safety gear. I don't wear rubber gloves or eye protection. Now this is stupid because even though I haven't been injured yet- I don't really want to go blind. However the point I DO want to make is- lye isn't the scariest think on the planet. It is easily dealt with if you get a little on the skin (just wash it off). I have gotten battery acid on me before and that was much much much much worse. I have seen pictures of people making soap on the internet where it looks like they are going in to a Quarentine Zone! LOL You don't have to go that far but I would suggest at least eye goggles and rubber gloves if you have sensitive skin.

Have lots of fun- I am teaching my crafting group how to make soap this weekend too.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Mag - I also found a link to a thread that we had here a while back that has some information that might be helpful to you: [http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=789]. I've never made soap, myself - it's always been one of those things that seems so complicated... I think, however, after reading a lot of these posts that sometime this winter I might just dare.....

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Mag I have been thining about trying soapmaking too. Let me know how it turns out.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  05:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bump

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Soap making advise please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page