Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 "Bangin' on the Pots and Pans" - RACKET!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Bangin' on the Pots and Pans" - RACKET!! Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  1:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
That is what my hubby is calling the racket the belly dump trucks that have been going by our house are making. My goodness! We live on a county gravel road and it is 8/10 of a mile from our house to the south end of the gravel before it turns into paved road, and 1.9 miles to the other end to the paved state highway, so almost three miles of gravel road

About three weeks ago, the county road dept. started grading, scraping out bar ditches, upgrading culverts, etc., up and down our road . . up and down our road. Did I say up and down our road? They use a water truck to spray water all over it first and during the course of the work, which is good, because it keeps the dust down and makes it easier to work the road. Sometimes that guy makes the road into a mud bog . . Okay, so it's better.

Starting last Monday and for four days, belly dump trucks rolled by our house constantly all day, going south. The county was hauling in tons and tons of road material to rework and improve the road, which is good. It's been needing it for a long time. They made it only about 1 3/4 miles down the road in those four days.

This afternoon, they are RIGHT HERE! The racket the dumps make when they shake out the last of the road material is awful. My cat decided she did NOT want to go outside. And then the earth shaking rumble of the equipment they are using to spread out, roll out and work the road material makes the house vibrate!

Okay, it may sound like I'm complaining! I am grateful for the work they are doing, especially since it's been a while and winter is coming. There have been five belly dumps rolling by, four of them taking it cautious and slow, but one of them thinks this is an interstate or race track! Good grief! Thank goodness they are using the water truck regularly to keep the road damp and the dust down! Otherwise we would have choked out from the dust. Anyway, I'll be glad when they are not RIGHT HERE!

This morning the rural water company (domestic water for the area) set a water tap for the next door neighbors who just purchased some land. So, they were making racket with the backhoe for a while . . . and creating a bottleneck in the road with their equipment for the road dept. equipment. Kind of a nervewracking morning around here.

Thanks for listening!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 24 2015 2:15:27 PM

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7447 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7447 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  1:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Listening and I share your painful hearing. Not lately, but have been around noisy equipment like that.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  3:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I think they're done for the day . . whew! They'll be back tomorrow and start it all over again. Only got a few hundred yards past our driveway today. Peace . . . ahhhhh!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  6:33:34 PM  Show Profile
CJ, I've always thought it is amazing the "noise pollution" we have even in the country.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
They're back!!! At 7:15 AM this morning, the belly dumps started dumping right where they left off yesterday . . .just a few hundred yards past my driveway. And, then the grader and roller started smoothing it out with their annoying back up beepers!

Well, soon they'll be on down the road to the next section. Yes, I'm grateful for the work they're doing! But I will be soooo glad when they're done and we can have our country peace and quiet back!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  11:35:59 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay, I am sure all this racket is getting old! Hopefully, the work will finish up soon and you can have some peace and quiet back again! I don't envy you one bit but unfortunately there is no other way to get the road done. Hang-in there and let us know when it is all done and you can hear yourself think again!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, I know Winnie . . . trying to be patient! They have moved on down the road, but the dump trucks are still coming by, this time they're loaded. The advantage to them being loaded is that they don't drive by as fast!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
This morning while on my walk, I passed the area where they were working. The dumps were out getting another load, the grader, roller and water truck were parked. I spoke with the grader driver, who was a perfect gentleman. I thanked him for the work on the road and told him we were all ready for the noise to stop. He understood! Said they'd finish today and that this work on this stretch of road has been on the county's to do list for FOUR YEARS!!!!
Alas and alack, they are about 1/4 mile from finishing because it started pouring rain and making it such a mess they had to stop. Won't take them long to finish and they're about 2/3 mile down the road now from us.

Soon they'll be done!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7447 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7447 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  7:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Crossing my fingers you get peace and quiet soon, CeeJay.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  11:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, they aren't able to finish due to the rain, but since they work a 4-day week, it'll probably be Monday before they're back to finish!
Meanwhile, less noise, but one section of road is still a mess! I know, I know . . be patient, they'll get it!
The part that's finished is nice though!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7447 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7447 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So sorry you are going through the noise, but I bet the nice new street will be welcome when they are done.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's okay, Linda. No noise today because they're not working on it. Probably will be quiet until Monday! And, you're right, the road surface is MUCH IMPROVED! Country gravel roads in this country take a lot of abuse! Winter/wet weather only makes it worse!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  12:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
They are finishing up the other end of the road today! The road surface is really nice now! We'll see how it holds up through the winter!
Thanks for listening to me "carry on" about this! The quiet is AWESOME!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  4:26:27 PM  Show Profile
I just caught up with this, CJ! I guess they call this kind of thing the price we pay for a little more convenience! Around here it happens pretty frequently, this paying up for some better road conditions! I'm sorry you share this annoyance, even deep in the country, but it sounds like you got through it relatively unscathed:) Meanwhile, how's your kitty doing??

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13579 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13579 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  4:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
They're done! Hallelujah! The road is in great condition! YAY! I'm grateful for that, yes I am!
It was inconvenient, but we'll be glad for the better road conditions in the long run!
My kitty is doing wonderful!! She's such a sweetie and a joy! Thanks for asking about her!
Whew . . . end of this "episode"!
Thanks for listening and understanding girls!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7447 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7447 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  5:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
YEE HAW!! Glad the noise is over and the road to town is newly smoothed.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919
August 2015 FGOTM

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Bangin' on the Pots and Pans" - RACKET!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page