True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  3:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,
She seems to be doing well. Still healing but working her way back to feeling good again.
I am with you on the Facebook down time. I have to do that for my mental health. I can't be bombarded with things like that so I don't get on much anymore.

We took the plunge and bought a Sleep Number bed today. It won't be delivered until the beginning of July. They have great reviews and my chiropractor recommended them. Hopefully it will be a help to my back troubles. We were fortunate they were having a sale so that was an unexpected surprise. We went in knowing which one we were looking for and that helped tremendously. The salesman only showed us what we asked to see. Not pushy at all thankfully.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  9:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Denise,, let us know how you like your new bed... I have heard good things about the Sleep Number bed,,

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  04:58:20 AM  Show Profile
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks Grace. It won't be delivered till the 3rd.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  05:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
Peggy/ Denise-

Yes - I actually divorced Facebook officially 2 weeks ago. Now they are trying really hard to not let me leave.... You can come back for 30 days - your stuff will still be here!! LOL - No thanks. It started out innocently enough - as an easy way to keep up with family and friends. What's it's become however is a cesspool of people who feel they are entitled to an opinion on everything voicing it to a bunch of people who have their own opinions - neither side (name the issue - it's all the same) actually trying to understand the other. Where people who are supposed to help anchor our faith in all that is good feel free to spew anger and hate. I did not like : a- how I felt after reading FB - I was just angry b- how much of my day/week/ life it was actually stealing me, etc - for so little benefit. I left (or am trying to leave once my 30 days are up!)

Re zoom - It works well on explorer and chrome. Im not sure the device you're using - but the zoom app works great on ios devices (vs using safari) Hope that heps!

In laughter & hope,
~D
Farmgirl Sister #8125
It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever. -Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  11:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, My Porchies...we all seem to be sick of Facebook. I peruse in the background just because I want to keep up on grandkid pictures and
events but I am tired of all the other insanity.

Denise...I need a new bed too, so let me know what you think of it after about a month of really testing it out.

D~I closed my FB account for about 6 years one time and when I decided to try it out again...my account had never actually gone away. Once
they have you ... I guess they have you forever. They even told me the same thing they did you...but don't believe it. Once you sign up...unless
they want to get rid of you...you will always have an active account.

I have a MacBook Pro...but it came with Safari on it. Which is what I use all the time and like it very much. But when I went to set up a FB Chat room
they wouldn't let us on unless we used google chrome. So I downloaded it just to use for the Chat Room. But I discovered how to enable Safari so
that you could come into the chat room. So, hopefully I won't need to use Zoom at all now.

Well, I hope and pray that the African Sand Storm misses hitting where ever you are currently living!! It doesn't look like it will hit the West Coast at
all. So it will miss me.

Have a Lovely Weekend and doing something that you ENJOY!!

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
Aug 2018-Farmgirl of the Month

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2020 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Denise - we've had a sleep number for years. Best purchase we ever made. I love that Hubby & I can each adjust for our own comfort. I'm a soft/squishy bed person and he needs extra firm for his bad back. Problem solved! Well worth the investment. I have a friend who had her for many years when the pump went out - it was out of warranty but Sleep Number sent her one for free. I love when a good product has great customer service!

Rainy day here again. Supposed to be thunderstorms all weekend.

I haven't broken up with Facebook yet but I have blocked certain people from seeing what they post. Some are family. I don't have the mental energy to spend on their posts. I do like to see my friends & family from back north postings though. So I'm not all together ready to break free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2020 :  12:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
Sisters of the Porch! Happy Monday!
I must say - now you have me looking at Sleep Number beds. Very pricey, but I'm in if worth it. Not sure they can overcome the 18 lb orange cat that stomps on my head at 5a every day - but I'm willing to give it a shot :)

In laughter & hope,
~D
Farmgirl Sister #8125
It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever. -Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2020 :  12:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Happy Monday! I slept in a sleep number bed in a hotel and didn't like it. Another hotel had memory foam and that was great for me and my back so we got one. We love it and it seems the cats do too as I am constantly fighting for space with them. I have yet to find a pillow I really like.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  08:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Dealing with 2 plumbing issues today. Our hot water heater pressure valve is leaking. That one hubby can fix. The other issue is there appears to be a leak under my kitchen cabinets. Hubby went in the crawl space and thinks he sees the problem. He will need a plumber to help him with that. I just pray it's not an expensive fix.

I don't get to sit on the porch today. I get to play "plumbers assistant".

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Deb,
I have only read good things about them. We went with the i8. It has a cooling thing. The temperpedic bed gets hot and doesn't let you keep a steady temperature. This one does. Really hoping it helps with my back most of all. I will let you all know.

I have been continuing to declutter. There is no feeling like the freedom of having less stuff! I love each room I get done. I only have two rooms left and they are easy rooms. Seems the more I get rid of the more I want to let go of. I actually go around looking for stuff. Lol.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 30 2020 09:39:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  10:09:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Porch-Buds, I enjoy decluttering too. It really is a refresher, quite liberating! It's true, I go round looking for more stuff to get rid of too. Its funny. We are having Summer weather now. High 80's. More like N.E. Ohio in Summer. No A/C but fans are doing their job beautifully, pulling cold are out of basement, up the stairs, up the other stairs and keeping this old 100 y.o. house quite comfy. The black window shades($5.00 at dollar store) do a great job too. Made of special construction-weight paper, but WONDERFUL!
Judith, forget pillow... use cat! hahahahahaha I have a Coop pillow. I like it a lot. You get 2 extra bags of filling with it. You can stuff it for your level of comfort. It's great so far. Had it for 2 years.
Well, make it a Great day Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"We are a hardy bunch of mixed-breed mutts....a little Hillbilly, a little Indian, a little Irish/Welsh.....BUT a Whole Lotta GOD!!!"
"I used to toast marshmallows over my birthday cake. Now I can roast a ham."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  11:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, My Porchiess...I see we are still talking about sleep # beds. I love my bed frame so all I need is a new box springs and mattress. I know a lot
of Mattress stores are having big sales right now but...until I get rid of all the boxes from my down-sizing...NObody could walk around my bed to
put them on the frame. So, I have to wait. None of our thrift shops, goodwill, or any place is open to take boxes of stuff yet. I have no basement
to store them in...just my bedroom.

Well, do any of you have 4th of July plans? I might be with my kids...early in the day but I have to be home to hold my dog for the hours of the
fire-works. People have been shooting them off early here since last weekend. You can get a hefty fine if you get caught. I live in the County
not the City and we are the only place in Vancouver that can lawfully set them off. I would be happy to not have them at all...except for the 2 big
River Displays that Vancouver and Portland do each year (except this year) due to social-distancing.

Our Governor just mandated that we all have to wear masks outside now unless you have a health issue that prohibits you wearing one. Does
Breathing Count???? I don't wear one outside nor do I plan to. I can't breathe in those stupid things. I have tried paper and cloth. If I have to
go into a store then, of course, I have to wear one.

I spent last Saturday with the Grandkids and parents...we had such a great day. I helped Savannah put a lego-car together and watched Elijah
put together a Train. Then mom and dad went and got us Asian Food and we pigged out on that! It was sooooo Good. Then we cleared the
table and Savannah wanted me to put her girlie make-up on her because she always puts too much on. After that, she ran and got into her
Princess Costume and I did a Photo Shoot of her. She just learned to twirl...so we did some shots of that and then some just sitting. I got some
really good pictures of Miss Photo Genic. She is getting so big and so grown up. And so Sassy too!! lol ~ Then the whole Family played board-
games. 3 were kids games and 1 adult game last. Have any of you played UpWords? We have had it for years but Shane found a newer version
which is made cheaply and not as nice as the old tiles etc. But we still had a blast playing it!!

It was supposed to rain yesterday but it didn't...so I got a 3 and 1/2 mile walk in last night. It was low 70's and perfect weather for a comfortable
walk.

Well, Gils that is my catch-up...hope you all have a fabulous day!!!

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 30 2020 11:35:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  12:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy -- The cats consider me their pillow. I often wake up to find the cat in the middle of the pillow with his head on mine. M favorite pillow was a thin one; my kids called it my potato chip. It finally got so thin as to be almost non-existent.
No July fourth plans here; just staying home and soaking the yard and house so no illegal fireworks start a fire. They have been shooting them off all week. The town has cancelled all holiday events including fireworks.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2020 :  03:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, our thrift stores opened for donations only. Then last week opened for business. I would not be able to wear a mask outside. I have trouble breathing with one on as it is. It's tough to wear them inside. Our governor cancelled inside dining but he himself as done it.
Too many things being changed on a whim here. Hospitals are hurting because of not having enough people being able to be cared for all this time. Emergency surgeries only.
And now China has a swine flu thing going on they want make into a pandemic.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2020 :  6:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Why do all or most of these viruses seem to start in China? At least for a while there is no travel so maybe that will help keep it away from us for now. In some ways we were a lot better off 150 years ago when it took a long time to get anywhere and you either recovered or died before getting to your destination. Maybe we need to reinstate Ellis Island and Angel Island and the other quarantine ports.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2020 :  9:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I agree Judith. When we were stationed in Hawaii they quarantined any animals you were taking in for 6 weeks and you weren't allowed to take plants to the island.
I think we should do more of our own manufacturing here in the states again and stop getting our stuff from China. Imagine the jobs that would be made available. Unemployment would be non existent. Or fairly close to it.

They scheduled our time frame for delivery for 3-7pm on Friday. I told JT it will most likely happen when we sit down to eat. lol
At least we have plenty of time to get the old set out of here. Should be a fairly easy set up for them once they get it up the stairs.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  01:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Denise -- I can't agree more. I know it is cheaper for things to be made in China. It would cost more to manufacture here but hopefully the quality would be better. I try to buy things not made in China but most the time there just isn't a choice.

Everything here is closed down again, thank heavens.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  06:43:12 AM  Show Profile
I do the same Judith. We need to support our own country and get out from underneath our debt to China.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  06:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
I'm with you ladies. Our supply chains have been too reliant on cheap Chinese labor and favorable shipping costs to save a 'literal buck' on products. My hope is that the virus has caused an awakening of companies who use sole-sourced products (usually from China) in their supply chains. When they could not get that product any more - their operations stopped. We need more American manufacturing, and we need easier ways to highlight Made in America products. I've been after big retailers like Amazon, Tractor Supply, and Home Depot to have a check box search feature on their web sites for USA products - but no luck so far. Guessing they do not want to piss off the 'global consumer' (tho they could easily do the same in other countries for their products). Feel free to join me in the gentle harassment. The consumer dollar eventually wins out :)

In laughter & hope,
~D
Farmgirl Sister #8125
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile
I have also been after Amazon to show the country of origin on the items they sell. No luck there but sometimes checking the questions and answers will answer that question. Sometimes for non-Amazon products I email and ask if there is an email address. My son and DH also have the same problem on eBay. Too much cheap crap coming from China. I want a bumper sticker that says "Ban Chinese Imports".

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  11:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey, My Porchies...I am so with you on the China Stuff!! I can't even tell you how many pairs of Sandals I order only to find out after I have paid that
they are coming out of China. When they arrive they stink to high heaven and NEVER FIT! They are not adjustable, nor the quality they have shown.
They must think all Americans have feet as wide as Elephants. Then once you can't use them...the return cost is rediculous and so I just throw them
in a thrift box. So, I try everything I can to find out where they are coming from first. That isn't always easy as they use a lot of names for their
business that sounds American. They even made a city over there called USA...so they can say "Made in The USA" It makes me so angry. Plus I
do not want to support them at all. Their stuff is cheap junk!

Love, Hugs, and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Member since Feb. 2010

Go to Top of Page

BeckyT
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Rebecca
Byhalia Ms
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  12:07:11 PM  Show Profile
That kinda makes me mad about the city called USA. That’s really snicky.

Trust Jesus
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Japan did the same thing after WWII -- named a town USA

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  06:04:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!

Happy 4th of July! We don't really have any plans. We may go down to a neighbors for social distancing fireworks off his dock. Funny thing we've come to realize here. Fireworks are legal, but last night was the first night we heard & saw them - and they quit at 10pm. When we lived in Chicago fireworks are illegal - people would be blowing them off for 2 weeks all night long.

I agree - bring manufacturing back to the US. What makes me really angry is that they send chickens over there to be processed and then shipped back! Makes me want to get my own chickens all the more.

Judy - A coop pillow?! I just checked them out. I might have to order one. They have a cool side pillow. I need something like that.

We had to have our pressure valve replaced for the water coming into the house. Plumber said we were very lucky that we only blew one connection - it could have been very, very bad. It was money we weren't prepared to spend but glad to pay it since the outcome could have been devastating.

Have a happy 4th and stay safe!

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

ChikinsR4dinner
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

D
Walhalla SC
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ChikinsR4dinner a Yahoo! Message
Maybe an idea for another conversation line (broken out by categories to make things easier to find) - a list of USA products/producers. Here's a list to get you started (https://blog.cheapism.com/products-made-in-usa-16283/#slide=22) Not sure that I'm ready for the Steinway piano - but will keep practicing LOL

In laughter & hope,
~D
Farmgirl Sister #8125
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 26 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Come Sit on the Porch Awhile Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page