True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  05:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Have fun with your new canner Michele.
Going to pick up another 25lb box of peaches today. Going to split it with my daughter.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 05 2022 4:43:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  06:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, let us know how you like it. Would work better for me in my Yellow Rose Cottage than having to use a hot plate.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2022 :  5:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Trial run with the canner was today. So simple to use. i do like it. I had three jars not seal though. I did try canning hamburger, sausage and sloppy joes. And I used new lids my son had paid me back with. They are alot heavier and a thick blue rubber on them. Not sure if they were the problem. There was no siphoning. I wanted to try the different meats to see how they taste. Then if we like them I will do more to have on the shelf for quick meals.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2022 :  6:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, I'm glad your test run was a success because I am seriously thinking about getting one.

I've never seen lids with thick blue rubber, but I have had sealing failures when I used off brands. Now days I stick with Ball lids, and they are never on sale.

Great idea to can the different meats to see what you like and possible don't like. Did you put up pints or quarts?

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 06 2022 6:03:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  03:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I did all pints. 7 small mouth jars fit and 5 quarts fit in the canner. Ball lids are the ones I like also. Or I get a no name brand at a Mennonite store that work really well. I did whip the rims with vinegar, as the book you sent instructed. I followed those recipes also. Except my big screw up of timing for quarts and not pints. I don't know where my brain was. But for my elevation I was only 10 minutes over.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  03:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Michele is that just a canner or pressure canner. I thought you said something about doing meat? I always thought you had to do meat in a pressure canner.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 07 2022 03:53:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  03:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I think I'd like to get a vacuum sealer. Anyone have any advice on those? Would really like to get the thing to seal jars for dry goods.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  07:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I have been wiping jar rims with white vinegar for over 30 years. At an estate sale I found a 1950s Kerr Canning Book that said to do it. It was more of a pamphlet than book, but it has some good hints and recipes.

I placed orders for 3 canners this morning. One for my sister here in Paris, her daughter in Oregon, and for me. I'm the only one who has Amazon Prime.

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  09:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I have a food saver and love it. You would not believe all the things I use it for. Example: If I am shipping a book or magazine to a friend, I vacuum pack it so the pages won't get bent. If my DH is working on something that has nuts and bolts, I vacuum pack the small items, so they won't get lost.

I freeze my tomatoes in 2 cup containers and then when they are frozen, I vacuum pack them or my zucchini that has been shredded, same process.

The possibilities are endless

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  09:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Just took more zucchini out of the dehydrator. Making zucchini flour. Have made 8 cups so far. Parsley just put in the dehydrator. Have made 13 oz of mixed pepper flakes. That poor dehydrator never gets turned off in the summer LOL

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  09:18:18 AM  Show Profile
Thersea, I am interested in how you make the flour.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2022 :  09:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Does the food saver also do jars?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  04:59:33 AM  Show Profile
The presto 12 qt precise digital pressure canner, is a pressure canner, or you can do pints in hot water bath. You can get smaller sizes too. Hope you like your canner Sara. I have had a couple food savers. they work great, and yes you can do jars. Mine just died over the winter and we got a new one. Avid Amour A100 I think it is. A bit more costly. We did use it on venison bacon and it worked great. Oh also recently chicken. We are happy with it so far. It does do jars also.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Denise, yes the food saver will do jars... they have an attachment to it. Here a link. https://www.foodsaver.com/parts-accessories/jar-bottle-sealers/?gclid=CjwKCAjw6MKXBhA5EiwANWLODHwVphR2IPEYZu9mYpDJYBBS8Ueslv3rO61C3R0_8yC3U58mGAlrHxoCwT4QAvD_BwE

Sara, Check out this site for how to make the flour. https://www.homesteadinginohio.com/2022/07/how-to-make-zucchini-flour.html#:~:text=How%20to%20Make%20Zucchini%20Flour%201%20Step%20%231.,zucchini%20in%20a%20blender%20or%20food%20processor.%20

It is really easy and easy to use.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  06:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Teresa, I'll check it out.

Yesterday I was given 10 mangos, so I searched through my canning books for a recipe. I found several recipes that I will take a second look at but in one of the books it had a lot of information about mangos. Like they are in the poison ivy family, and you may be sensitive to the green ones and breakout like with poison ivy. They advised wearing gloves when handling green mangos.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I have broken out with hives when the mangos aren't quite ripe enough. I still love them and eat them anyway. I saw canned mangos at Sam's club the other day. I didn't know you could can them.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile
One recipe was for a mango sauce and the other was a recipe for mango & nectarine jam. The jam recipe called for 7 1/2 cups sugar so I won't be doing that one. Way too much sugar for me.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2022 :  02:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I make my own pectin from crab apples and use for jams and jellys. works great, and I also use enough sugar to taste. Usually somewhere around the 4 cup amount for a batch.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2022 :  05:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, no crab apples in my neck of the woods. It's great you can reduce the amount of sugar.

I was also given nectarines which I am drying this morning for winter cobbler or maybe fried pies. I am doing my best to eat gluten free which is hard for me. Ordered a nun gluten flour for baking (not good with yeast) especially for cobblers or fried pies because they are two of my favorite things to eat when it's cold outside.

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2022 :  2:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I tried zucchini flour this year. It was so easy and worked really great. You add it to your regular flour to stretch your gluten free flour. I was amazed at how easy it was. I did make zucchini bread with it but I couldn't believe how much more moist it was. I am going to try it in other things next. Here's the link if you are interested. I just thought what a great way to use up the extra zucchini from the garden. https://www.homesteadinginohio.com/2022/07/how-to-make-zucchini-flour.html

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2022 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I have been making lots of zucchini bread lately and fresh salsa with garden warmed tomatoes. Lots of canning. Sad that summer is almost over!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2022 :  03:22:18 AM  Show Profile
got 7 pints of little potatoes canned last night. Used the electric canner and had an issue. Turned out it was operator error. Was not putting the green lock down correctly. Took a while but glad I figured that out. Between joining a facebook group, watching a you tube video, and ready to call tech support today........... Oh brother. Back to loving it. I have done a bit of water bath canning with it too. I like the feature set it and basicly almost forget it. Tonight after work it will be making sauerkraut,and digging and shredding carrots for cakes then freezing. I have a few tomatoes left to process and pick. the garden is winding down, and will be time to clean out.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2022 :  05:26:46 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I haven't tried my electric pressure canner yet so it's good to see how you like it. The weather is cooler, but MS fatigue is heavy on me so my bean canning will have to wait a little longer. My sister was telling me the other day how she wished she had new potatoes to can. It's one of her favorite things to put up.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2022 :  02:52:20 AM  Show Profile
I hope your feeling better today Sara. Good thing your sisters are close by incase you need a hand. take care

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2022 :  06:02:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle, the heavy fatigue was gone this morning so today should be a good day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page