YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile
The following seeds from Baker Heirloom Seeds are in-route to me as I type.

Alabama red okra to be planted in 2 large round containers. Okra will go in front of raised beds in side yard. Okra is kin to hibiscus so they too have beautiful flowers. Should look pretty from the street.

Mix Zinnia in long container on sunny part of back deck.

Mitsuba or Japanese parsley can be planted in part-shade so in container on shady part of back deck.

Giant of Italy parsley & moss curled parsley both in containers on sunny part of back deck.

I will start all seeds in their containers outside. No room inside to start seeds. Last frost date for my area is Mar 18, so I'll have to wait until I get the seeds packets to know when I can sow the seeds.

Do you know your last frost date?

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  12:16:34 PM  Show Profile
In thinking about my garden to be at the beginning of each year, I always contemplate this lovely anonymous piece I've carried around for years. I don't even remember where it came from, but it is precious to me and I wanted to share it with my Farmgirl Sister gardeners . . . . jean

This Year’s Garden

The seed catalogs are arriving in masse and I’ve been pondering my garden plans. Perhaps I planted too much anger and resentment last year. So, this year I think I’ll replace them with some tolerance and patience. I really could use some more enthusiasm too. So, I will add a little extra this time and plant it next to the hope. I have always wanted to cultivate a sense of humor tree, and I have the perfect spot in between the laughter and lighthearted expressions. It will offer them a little shade from the sarcasm and cynicism plants which can be overwhelming to their more sensitive neighbors.

Perhaps I should thin out the fears. I really don’t need very many of those. And, you know, I never really liked the frustration – it’s so invasive. I think I will replace it with harmony. I didn’t care for that variety of judgment either. It’s casting a shadow over the kindness. It does complement the blame, but the other plants that are near it are not doing well. I will move them both to that far corner and be sure to keep them pruned back. I should probably move the criticism back there as well.

A person could never have too much peace, so I will order twice as much this year. I will add a couple more varieties of love and put them right here in the front, so that I can smell their fragrance whenever I walk past them.

There. Now I can place my orders. This catalog says that if I place an order of $20 or more, they will send me a free good will bush. It would look so pretty tucked in between the peace and the harmony.

Now if spring will just hurry up and arrive. I’d better not wait though. I’ll start those seeds right away. I’ll begin them inside, to give them – and myself—a good start.

Anonymous

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 02 2021 12:26:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  12:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jean for posting this wonderful essay. Yes, our lives and gardens are intertwined that we learn from both if we are opened to what each has to say. I will definitely be looking for the peace bush. I need a new helping of peace each morning to help me make it through the day. Happy gardening and life everyone!

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile
The frost date here in the Chicago area is May 15. I am going to grow organic peppers my husband saved. I'll probably start them in February. We have had some sleet and snow here the past few days so it is hard to think about gardening right now. I do love watching the PBS gardening shows on the weekend and will probably be dreaming about flowers tonight!

Dawn in IL

Make it a December to remember!
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  6:42:45 PM  Show Profile
LOVED this poem Jean!!! Borrowing it to share!
Yes, I too an already thinking and planning! Cleaning out my greenhouse and building a new shelf unit it it! Loading my trays with some good organic soil and looking at bulbs to plant out front! Happy sigh...it will start warming up near the end of February and last freeze is usually mid march but a lot of flowers are already coming up by then. I love walking in my greenhouse right now and STILL SEE FLOWERS growing in 25-35 degree weather!! ( that doesnt last long here tho)

:) happy dreaming and planning ladies

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  12:04:56 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I too like to watch the gardening shows on PBS. It's great your DH saved the organic pepper seeds for you.

Dianna, how wonderful to have a greenhouse. Happy working in it.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  02:56:06 AM  Show Profile
Happy planting to all gardeners. That poem is a good one. Thanks for posting it Jean. I am not dreaming, just yet. lol Enjoying the fruits of our labor from last summer right now.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  08:07:48 AM  Show Profile
My Baker Creek catalog arrived along with some others. I order onion sets and garlic from Territorial. Everything else from Baker Creek. I like to try something new each year. Last year I planted rutabaga. They were very buggy so I will have to see what I can do about that. Not sure I will plant more. Haven't decided what new item to plant this year, I might just stick with things I know grow good for me.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  08:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, I too like to plan something new every year. I'm sure as you look through the catalogs you'll find something you just can't resist trying.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2021 :  05:07:49 AM  Show Profile
I had trouble ordering this year. Territorial kept saying they can't ship to my address. I tried again the next day and had no problem. Baker Creek shut down their website due to so many orders. I tried to order on Monday and had to wait until Thursday. Some of the seeds I wanted were out of stock. Good news - I think more people are gardening this year. Note to self: order earlier next year.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2021 :  05:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, sorry ordering has been such a chore this year. Baker Creek wouldn't accept my new debit card but PayPal did so I was able to order.

Russian Red Kale was the free gift from Baker. I'm not going to plant it because there's no more sunny spots. If you want it e-mail me your snail address.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2021 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara. I was able to order from Baker Creek on Thursday. Unfortunately they were out of a few of my favorites. Alaska Pea has produced pretty much all summer for me so that was disappointing. I did order something else. I will let you know what free seed they send me and maybe we can trade.
I planted Kale last year for the first time and it grew great! I think I'm out but not sure I have room this year either. Will let you know what they send me.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2021 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, my Baker Creek order arrived today. My free seed is Lettuce Parris Island Cos. You can eat as baby lettuce or head lettuce. It is the tall head type, not the round head. Let me know if you would like to trade.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2021 :  10:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, I can't eat fresh veggies so I'll pass on the lettuce seeds but I will be happy to send you the kale seeds. Will need your address.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2021 :  4:12:30 PM  Show Profile
I may or may not have ordered a plethora of seeds from Baker Creek. Because the pictures are so pretty, current situations depressing, and seeds make everyone have hope!
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2021 :  12:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, the Kale seeds arrived today. Thank you so much! I love the little seed envelopes you sent. I will use them for sure!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2021 :  12:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Andrea, so happy you have the seeds and can use the seed envelopes.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Went out earlier to cut some rosemary for a recipe and found the creeping rosemary plants were in bloom - beautiful wee purplish blue flowers.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  11:51:30 AM  Show Profile
You are so lucky Sara! It is snowing here in PA and over the next 2 days we are supposed to get 10" or more. Spring can't come soon enough!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2021 :  10:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We have tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, peas, onions, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, cantaloupe, pumpkins and strawberries planned for this year but I can’t help but feel I’m missing something. Anyone have some ideas? We did hot peppers once but they were not used much

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  04:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Alee, how about marigolds and herbs like basil that are good companion plants. What you have planned sounds really good.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  06:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Sara this is for you!!! A picture of my beautiful yellow roses from last year!!! Every time I looked at it I thought of you!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Feb 04 2021 07:21:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  06:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi farmsisters!! I need to get back here with you all because, SOON our cold weather will end and I can NOT wait to begin gardening again!! So this winter I have been busy building 2 shelving units for my teeny greenhouse and I have been so blessed by a few pots of dianthus (from fall) cheering me up with color!! I also have rosemary and a eucalyptus in there. Not much because of how small but enough to take away my winter blues!! Hubs has been gone since Thanksgiving and will return first week in March. He'll disc the garden up for me but I will have my seeds started and ready to put in the ground by then. Officially last frost is March 15th. This year on the vegetable side I'll plant heirloom cukes, squash, tomatoes ( makes a great succatash) corn and watermelons and pumpkins. :) several herbs such as dill, fennel, sage, basil, mint, etc. The monarchs loved the fennel and dill last year and I let the sage flower & had tons of bees! On the flower side, much will come back from last year but ill add to it. Along with adding hoppi sunflowers, not only beautiful but a great dye plant! So there's my plan, may the Lord bless ALL our plans and garden desires!! See you again soon!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  07:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Judy, great pic - gotta love yellow roses. I'm pretty sure my Republic of Texas container yellow rose isn't going to make it. Will have to wait for spring to be sure, if not, I will replace it in the fall which is the best time in Texas to plant roses.

Dianna, thanks for your garden blessing.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  02:55:30 AM  Show Profile
My husband picked up what I needed for seeds a couple weeks ago. Will be starting some in March maybe, have to figure that out yet. Had quite a few left over, so hope they are all good yet. Good luck on your rose Sara.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  04:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Sara, have you ever ordered from Floret's? I got my flower seeds from them last year and my veggie seeds from Bakers. Both extremely great companies and my seeds all germinated! :) I love the heirloom beets and tomatoes Bakers! Oh, and the okra from last year! So delish! Now I just need to learn to save the extra okra for winter or pickle it. We sure had a lot! The cherry tomatoes went wild all through the garden! I didn't know it would spread so much!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2021 - Our Gardens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page