YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  05:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, I haven't heard of Floret's until now. I ordered Alabama Red okra from Baker's. Plan on putting it in 2 or 3 large containers. I like okra with tomatoes and also fried.

Michelle, I hope my rose makes it too.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  07:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara, Thats how the hubs likes his too. I really like mine pickled! :) My dad would eat it steamed and its grossed me out so bad that I never ate it again until 7 years ago abd had my first jar of pickled okay, hot. Yum-my that was good! So now I'll eat it fried or pickled but never steamed, lol!
Florets, if you want:www.floretflowers.com. They are out of Washington, I found them when I went to visit my son

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  07:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link. I checked them out and will keep them in mind for bulbs for the fall. I have planted tulips in a container in Nov; wintered over on south side of house; and when they bloomed in the spring I moved them to my front yard.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  08:09:42 AM  Show Profile
I bet they are beautiful Sara!! I got my dahlias from them as well as other seeds. I so enjoyed my flowers this past year! Can't wait to see what 2021 brings!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  11:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls -

Since we're all planning this year's plantings, I just want to share a little gardening hint that made a HUGE difference in our garden last year. We have a really difficult situation with a skunk, rabbits, squirrels and an opossum who all thoroughly appreciate delicious organic produce. And some combination of those critters absolutely LOVE eating my cabbages. I had read somewhere that inter-planting geraniums with cabbages not only keep the critters at bay, but also discourage hungry bugs and slugs, so I gave it a whirl. I planted small red geranium plants in between the cabbages, and the cabbages and geraniums served as a "hedge" around my potato patch. Oh my WORD did it work! I have never had such perfect cabbages before - no bites, very few slugs (mostly at the very end of the season after everything had died), and they grew very big and round - lovely! My geraniums also thrived BEAUTIFULLY, and the potatoes were some of the biggest I've ever had! And that particular bed looked so pretty with all the color! So, if the critters really cause you grief, it might be worth giving geraniums a try!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  11:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Checked on my herbs and container roses today. Republic of Texas rose is still iffy but the other three survived because I brought them inside. The RofT rose is in a pot too heavy for me to move.

All herbs show signs of the hard freeze but all have green growth at the bottom of the plants. Will have to do a lot of pruning to give the new growth a chance. Tops of the garlic froze but I think it will survive. While I was looking over the herbs in the raised beds I pulled wee weeds. I guess 7 below zero wasn't bad enough to kill them off.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  1:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's Alaska weather, lol. Not really but pretty close! Happy they did not die!!
Just ordered my seeds from bakers. My greenhouse is good to go so I can start now! Yippee! However, this week our yemps are going to be in the upper 60's and lower 70's!! I've already mowed and weedate once!! Crazy!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2021 :  06:47:06 AM  Show Profile
I checked on the garlic this morning and even pulled up some. All the bulbs froze and are mush. I'll pulled it all up this week and prep beds for okra, carrots, and herbs. The carrot seeds are a gift from AndreaPA. She also gifted me chamomile and calendula seeds. I've grown calendula before but not chamomile. Before I lost the garlic I wouldn't have had room to plant Andrea's seeds but now I do. Thanks Andrea - your seeds came just in time. And, your card is beautiful. Great work.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2021 :  07:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara! Glad you are able to use the seeds but sorry about your garlic. I hope there is some that didn't turn to mush. I plant my garlic in the fall and leave it alone until it starts to sprout in the spring. This year mine has been under at least 2 feet of snow. So maybe there is hope for yours.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  02:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I do the same as Andrea, with my garlic. Hopefully yours will be fine too. Soon it will be time to start some seeds for me. Need to pick up some dirt first. Take stock in what I have and what I need this year for garden produce.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  04:49:36 AM  Show Profile
I have wild garlic or as some would say 'volunteers garlic that comes up off to the side of my garden. I let it go to seed last year praying it will spread. But we had a hugely wet winter so I'm not sure it will dry ip enough over there to grow. I so hope so, as I want garlic so bad. I tried to grow it in several spots around my garden and it never came up. Just finished cultivating everything and now to add fabric. My seeds so far are cosmos, calendula, peas and nasturtiums. More ordered and on the way. I love how nasturtiums taste in our salad! Happy soon to be spring y'all!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  05:13:45 AM  Show Profile
My garlic is in 1' X 8' beds on two high cinder blocks so I don't have to bend over to garden. Garlic would be safe in a normal winter when low temps stayed in the teens but this year with temps minus zero the garlic froze. I'll give it a another week and check again but I really think it's beyond help.

I have four raised beds with herbs & garlic. So far all herbs are showing signs of life.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  05:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I may try the cinder block qay! Pretty smart!! My garden is a half acre in ground so I'm constantly battling weeds, varmints and weather. One day maybe hubs will be home long enough to hepl me build a raised garden! I'm getting to old for this hard labor, lol!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, I'm 79 today so I don't bend like I used to.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  06:31:43 AM  Show Profile
79?? Thats fantastic Sara! Happy birthday again!! I pray i can be as active as you when I get to that age, Lord willing!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  06:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Dianna you have a beautiful outlook on life and a deep faith, so gardening will be in your life for decades to come.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  07:57:56 AM  Show Profile
We are still in serious winter in Wyoming. There is very little going on in the garden because daytime (and nighttime) temps are still so low.

However, I did get all the seeds and sets ordered. I ordered this year from RH Shumway. This is the first year using this company as our seed supplier. The seeds come in a larger quantity than most suppliers. My plan is to use what I need and then share some with my daughter. I am starting a new Facebook group for our local homesteaders/gardeners/preppers. I plan on sharing some of the seeds on that group.

One other thing happened in the garden yesterday. Since our property is lined with Russian Olive trees, we have a plethora of birds. They love the olives from the trees. With so much snow, I thought I would supplement their diets with a suet/sunflower block. It was fun to make and they seem to love it.

The Hunky Hubbie and I are planning new beds for the garden. He will be purchasing the material for the raised beds. We are planning a "Help Mom and Dad" day this spring. The kids have agreed to come and help us put the new beds in and do a few maintenance projects on the house. My job is to feed everyone. I'm looking forward to having the whole group together.

It is my hope that every farmgirl has love in their lives. You do, because I love every one of you.!

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog

www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shops
www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Shop

www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  10:17:55 AM  Show Profile
I do so love to read about all your gardens and what yall are doing.....
Spring has sprung here in Wa. State East Side of the state....but, still mid 20s at night....
My greenhouse is going w tomatoes, peppers and onions...also leftovers from last year and things 4 farmers market...

Happy GARDENING !!!

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2021 :  08:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Sowed carrot seeds that Andrea gifted me in one end of raised bed this morning. Tried growing carrots once before without any luck so hoping this time they're make.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2021 :  9:04:23 PM  Show Profile
We're heading into the autumn months here in Australia, which means flowering time for my protea bush. If you're not familiar with them, they are a plant native to South Africa. They marry well with many Australian native plants. The flowers are absolutely stunning and last quite a long time as a cut flower.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  04:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Cindy they are beautiful! South Africa is very proud of their protea. Wish I had been able to see these in bloom when I was there several years ago. It was November so things were just getting started.

Yesterday I planted peppers and tomatoes. Only my second year with my greenhouse so hoping I do better this year.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  08:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Those are beautiful, Cindy!!! WOW!!!

Yesterday we uncovered one of our beds, removing the thick straw laid last fall, to reveal the most beautiful, rich soil I have seen yet. We planted carrots, radishes, beets, spinach, lettuce, celery and onions, then lightly covered the soil with straw. After a good watering, we put up a little "hoop house" made of chicken wire and row cover, tightly clipped with clothespins and bound at the ends with boards and brick. It felt so good to be working the soil again, although later in the evening I discovered just how out of shape I am - OMG, OW! LOL! We aren't going to enjoy this warm weather for long, but it sure is exciting to know that we've done some winter sowing. I'll be watching everything like a hawk until the warm weather decides to stay. But how great it will be to snip those first leaves of lettuce and spinach and pluck radishes and rare-ripes just about the time it's time to plant the tenders! Today I'm hoping to get out there to plant peas, and then cabbage seeds in the potato patch. Tomorrow or over the weekend, I'll be winter sowing a whole bunch of hardy flowers, and broccoli and cauliflower seeds, too! SO much fun!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  08:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Cindy, so very pretty!!! Fall huh? Harvest time then?
Nino, it was gorgeous out where we live. I don't think we will have a spring, again. Its rare we get to experience one. Goes straight from cold to muggy hot! In the 80s this weekend!! My daughter and I have been out in the garden cleaning up too. Ours is in ground so it has to be cultivated except in the area of the perennials. Aspragys and mint are coming up which I'm happy about. I love grilled asparagus! Got over 20 seed starters going in the greenhouse. Guess I'll wait now until good Friday then put out corn and okra and cukes and tomatoes. The flowers will come up soon and ill clean around them. I love gardening but I think I'm getting too old for all the bending and hoeing!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  08:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Dianna - I feel for you about the weather! We actually don't usually have much of a spring here, either. It usually consists of a couple of miserably wet weeks and then miserably muggy hot. And, although I love the flowers and veggie gardens, I HATE the heat. I am not at all a summer girl! But I sure would love to be able to plant tomatoes and cukes now, like you can! :) The tulips, hyacinths and daffodils are already coming up - I am thrilled! And I noticed my Lenten Rose had a few leaves popping up yesterday. All is right with the world! I can't wait for blooms and the sweet floral fragrance wafting through the air! You're right, though... This IS getting harder, and I am getting WAY more sore than I used to. WOWSA. What is happening to me?! YIKES! Yesterday the lawn guy (Yep, we have a lawn guy - a postage stamp yard, but cutting the grass sends us both into allergic reactions like you wouldn't believe!) sent a list of the different services he now offers. I am ashamed to admit it, but there were a couple of things, in particular mulching, that really made me take pause. I feel the need to make life as easy as possible nowadays. I won't give up the veggie garden until I absolutely have to (I pray that day never comes!), but maybe it wouldn't hurt letting him haul the mulch to my flower beds and do the distributing! Just guiltily thinking about it...

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh Niki! I totally relate! I HAD to hire a yard guy to help mow our 20 acres! Danny was gone 5 plus months during the summer and I broke my wrist so I had to hire him AND someone to weedeat. This year he will be gone for several summer months but now I can drive the zero turn and taught Sara(16) how to drive the john deere so she can help. I was spoiled not having to weedeat 4 plus hours a week so I may hire the young man back. Sad thing is, there are so many kids around but no one wanting to work!! Go figure.
Daffodils, violets, cow parsley, tiny white violets and Jessamine are in bloom here or and dandelions! I just love the wildflowers! Soon the wisteria will be out. Picked up all my sunflower seeds today.
Do any of you 'stack ypur planting? A row here and two weeks later another.....or alternate seeds in the rows??

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2021 - Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page