Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  09:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I have dried apples but not strawberries. Maybe another time I will try it.

At the grocery store: persimmons weren't in and may not be. The cocktail tomatoes were almost as big as tomatoes on the vine so I passed on them. Did get the butternut squash on sale for 79 cents lb. One thing about butternut squash it keeps so I can make the vinegar when I choose to.

Got the red onions and fresh sage so jam making is on for tomorrow. Will do all the slicing and prepping tomorrow and can on Friday. Have to spread my canning out.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Persimmon: Do not gather and eat them UNTIL AFTER A FROST! Yes as Sara said You will get puckered up.
Linda they should fill out more before we have a frost.
When they are ripe, open one and carefully split the seed open. Gently pull it apart and see what is inside. Knife=cold winter winds, fork= light snow, Spoon= heavy wet snow. This is fun to show children.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 12 2016 11:25:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  11:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told Darlene about the persimmon seed surprise. I could not remember what the fork meant. She looked it up.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn it's been decades since I heard about persimmon seeds and forecasting the weather. If I get my hands on some I will have to do it. I'll have my fingers crossed that it's a knife. Cold winds I can take not so much snow/ice of any sort.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  09:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACV recipe said to taste after a month for strength - I tasted this morning at three weeks, liked it, so I bottled five assorted bottles. So happy that it made - my first batch didn't.

Tasted the relish and it is so good but still has a little more to go before it's finished.

Today I am prepping for canning red onion jam tomorrow. Will sliced the onions and measure out all ingredients. Will fill the electric canner with water. Have to carry it to the cottage in lg vinegar jugs. Sometime to day I will sweep and wipe down the work tables with vinegar. Everything will be ready for tomorrow. Excited at the through of canning again

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  10:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You amaze me, Sara! How big is the cottage that you can in?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, my ACV is only one week into the six weeks it said it should sit. It has a layer of mother on the bottom of the jar. Do you taste at three weeks then again, etc.?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I haven't measured it. It looks like one those prefab buildings you see around. Don't know if the previous owner built it or bought it. It was his woodworking shop - I know he built cabinets because there's one of his in my bathroom. The cottage is white with a white metal roof and 4 windows. It's big enough for two built-in worktables, a 5-6' shelve with 4 shelves, my old sideboard, hall tree, and enamel icebox that I didn't have room for in the house. In the middle of the room is a 4' blue work table I rescued from side of the road. It's pretty rustic looking now but I have dreams for it. I have some of MJF fabric to make curtains and maybe a tablecloth.

Last year all my sisters were here and we did crafts out in the cottage. It was a lot of fun. The best part was when they left I closed and locked the door and didn't clean it up until the next week.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  08:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put up six half pints of red onion jam this morning.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What is ACV? I may have asked this before, but lost it. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  08:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda it's apple cider vinegar. My sister tasted my ACV and she thought it wasn't vinegary enough. I tasted it again and liked the strength but can see where it could have gone another week before bottling. Don't know if the strength of the vinegar has anything to do with shelf life. Maybe I should find out.

Linda, next year after we get pass all the holidays and before it gets too hot you will have to come and play in the Yellow Rose Cottage with me. If not canning there is always crafting.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  8:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love that, Sara. I think you can teach me a lot about canning and I can teach you some crafting you may not know. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  06:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I have a lot to learn from you.

Today my kitchen will be quiet - that's one way to keep it clean. No cooking just nibbling. Tonight I will sort & soak beans for Martha Stewart's Boston Baked Beans. Here's the link if you want the recipe.

http://www.marthastewart.com/334683/boston-baked-beans enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are presently drying apples in our dehydrator. They are so good and healthy too! The orchard in Chazy (10 minute drive from my house) sell a 5 pound bag of McIntosh utility apples for $3.00. They are great for cooking and drying.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss being able to get Macs. They don't grow them here. I was able to bring some back from Ohio when I was there. We have some wonderful Stayman and Winesap. I canned some applesauce this morning. Would love to do some drying but they go so fast I'm not sure it is worth all the work.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started fermenting another batch of snack tomatoes. Checked the relish and it is coming along. Smells so good.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  1:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have good neighbors who came home from a week of travel, cut their okra and shared with us. I got some freezer bags and now I must cut it up and freeze it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  10:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, homegrown okra is hard to beat. You'll enjoy it this winter.

I'm drying lemon peels. I harvested one of my chive plants to dry and left the other to be used fresh in vinegars and fermenting.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fried Okra, Yummmmy.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  06:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I decided that I would actually tell you what is going on in my kitchen, almost every night ... unless I cook!

Just the other day I was chatting on the phone with Julie and mentioned how my mother in law (whom I love dearly) has a talent for trashing a kitchen (that's another story). Of course, as we all know, the apple does not fall far from the tree .... in other words ... DH, who does most of the cooking in our house (and yes I am very thankful). I have a large kitchen with lots of counter space, and when DH cooks, there is not one inch of counter space that is not occupied and/or messy.

On Thursday evening, I'm in the kitchen chatting with DH while he's making a stir fry (yummy), he takes out the bread from the over (he's making bread crumbs & croutons for Thanksgiving stuffing) and could not find a place to put the hot cookie tray anywhere .... I just started to laugh and had to take a picture to send to Julie ...

So here I am, also sharing with you what it's like living with a messy, but great, cook ...

Keep in mind that I have more counters on the left of the kitchen sink! Now, this is where he placed the cookie sheet that is, after going around in circles a few times looking for a place! lol

I hope you enjoyed a glimpse of what it's like to live with a messy cook! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Oct 22 2016 06:59:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your kitchen Carole. A busy kitchen is a happy kitchen even if it gets a little messy.

Today I made another batch of lemon black pepper. I thought I would use my new food processor to grind the dried lemon rinds. Did not work so I went back to doing it in the blender. I sifted the powder and had enough of the fine powder for the pepper mix. The bigger pieces will be saved for other recipes.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  12:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was multi tasking. I am a messy cook, but I always fill emptied pans and bowls with water if they must wait to be washed. My grandmother taught me that. She did not enjoy scrubbing pots.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  7:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's a man thing. My dad is the messiest cook around. I usually wait till he's done and then I fill the sink with hot soapy water to soak the dishes and clean down the countertops. When he cooks, cleaning also involves a broom and sometimes the mop. Bless his heart, he doesn't realize just how messy he really is.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 22 2016 7:22:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  12:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomatoes and relish are now in refrigerator. The two qts of relish I divided into 4 pint jars - for me and to give away. My counter looks bare on one end with no fermenting jars bubbling away.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  12:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You ladies are so busy!

Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page