Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  3:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I hope you find your corer/peeler. I don't use one because I dry just a small dab of apples at a time. I use my favorite paring knife that I've had for over thirty years.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  4:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise if you lived next door, I'd lend you mine. They are so nice! My hands have enough arthritis it is difficult to hold and peel some things now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  8:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I will definitely try that cordial recipe Julie. Thank you for posting.

Vinegar sounds strange for a liquer but I will try it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  05:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Denise, did you find yours? It's one of those things in the kitchen I wouldn't want to be without. Good luck!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice cool morning for canning. Pressured canned 4 pints beans w/ pork in tomato sauce. Used heirloom cassoulet beans grown in CA from French stock.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9245 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! I found it. Of course, I put it somewhere where I wouldn't forget it. LOL. Why do I think that I don't know.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  6:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are a member of a very special group of homemakers Denise. We number in 5he bezillions.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  05:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another cool morning. I have four pints of Lila beans in pressure canner. Lila beans are a heirloom bean grown in Mexico. They're purple but cook out to a pinto bean color and broth. Leftover beans are cooking away on top of the stove with a little salt pork. I haven't had them before so I am anxious to taste them.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  06:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - sounds like you have a fun day of canning beans ahead of you :) I'll be canning some chicken broth and am also in the process of rendering down some lard. Yesterday I made some goat butter, Farmers cheese, and yogurt. Oh and cinnamon raisin bread... thinking I may make another loaf of that this morning :) But then again, I need to do school with the kids, so we will see if I get the bread baked :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  06:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I like Farmer's cheese but have never had it made with goat milk but I do like goat cheese. Your kitchen is always so busy with diverse and tasty things.

How do you keep your rendered lard?

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been having fun playing with flavoring for the farmer's cheese... This last batch we made "southwestern" with taco type flavorings. I bought ice cube trays that I specifically se for my fats, be it lard, beef tallow, or deer tallow. Once I render it down, I use a gravy ladle and pour it into the ice cube trays. Once frozen, I pop them into a freezer bag. I usually use it for frying and cooking, opposed to baking, as I prefer coconut oil for baking. I also keep my bacon grease, but that goes in a jar in my fridge :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  07:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bacon grease brings back memories of growing up and even into my twenties I kept a aluminum container with Grease written in black letters on the back of my stove. Bacon and other pork drippings went into it and we seasoned everything with it. Made the best green beans and cornbread. The grease never went rancid because we used it everyday.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always used bacon grease too! In fact I still use it a lot. Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts,and fried green beans would no be good without it.
My favorite winter soup begins with bacon and onion fried together.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 02 2017 7:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  06:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I've been meaning to ask - what else goes into your winter soup. I'm always looking for a new way to do soups.

Another beautiful cool morning so I'm canning gold potatoes today. Two five lb bags of either red or gold potatoes on sale for $3 - mix or match; I got one of each.

A FarmGirl friend gifted me with a med size red slow cooker. I put it out in my Yellow Rose Cottage because I don't have room for it on kitchen counter. Already moved my dehydrator and bread machine out there. Now I can dry, can, bake bread, and slow cook out there.

As I have said before when I was looking for a house in Paris I prayed to the Lord to find me the house I needed and he did. My 'Little Eden' is perfect for me in every way. Since I lost Dustin I find comfort and peace working in my cottage. The Lord knew way before I did what I would need to help me live my life to the fullness in peace without my son. When I set down to write about canning potatoes I had no idea I would end up talking about Dustin but that's the way it's been for me - some days I don't want to talk and other days I need to share. Thanks for being here to listen on those days.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  06:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, we are glad to listen when you want to share. When one of the high school boys, who wanted to be a coach, died in the middle of the night from a previously undetected heart problem, someone said that he would be "Forever young!" When I see one of the tee shirts, or his picture on facebook, it still makes me stop! He is with Jesus, long legs, serious, forever young in our hearts, Bart.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  06:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn. I think about that too - Dustin will forever be 43. I was talking with my BIL yesterday and way down deep I always knew Dustin would never grow old. Knowing things before hand runs in my mother's side of the family. We don't hear voices, some have dreams, and for me I just have a knowing.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  07:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Sara,I did not answer your question. I start my winter soup with bacon, cut up with scissors and a chopped onion. As the bacon begins to brown and bits stick to my dutch oven, I add cubed potatoes diced carrots, diced celery, chopped bell pepper and toss to coat them with the bacon fat, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, then I put the lid on lower flame to simmer and wait about ten minutes. Remove the lid and stir. Continue to cook with the lid on for ten or so more minutes.
Now I add other veggies...whatever I have like corn, green beans English peas, etc. (Canned veggies are fine but the peas must be frozen...that is my quirk)
Next I add a big fat can of crushed tomatoes and some lemon juice...probably 2-3 Tablespoons!
(If you like some hot peppers add a can of original Rotel.)
The lemon juice makes a world of difference. When I home can tomatoes I put in some lemon juice. Perhaps they don't do that to store bought ones. Of course if I have tomatoes in the freezer I use them and add lemon juice.
Simmer until it is hot.
You also need to adjust the seasonings before serving.
My husband thinks soup needs meat. I love the flavor bacon brings to soups.
My mother grew up on a farm with chickens and pork. Cows gave milk...They never ate beef, because they did not have it on the farm. Grandma used her bacon grease to flavor other foods and when there was enough she made a fresh batch of our soap, for the laundry.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 07 2017 07:17:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  07:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, did Dustin have a family? Wife and kids?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  07:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn he never married. He always worked and loved to travel so he chose not to have a family. He back-packed through Ireland in his early 20s. Went to Mexico and the Caribbean several times and northern Europe. I always told him to do what he wanted to do as a single man because when he married he would have to put family before self. Another reason he didn't want a family was he was afraid he would abandon children like his father abandoned him. I didn't know this until after his death and his best friend told me. I will always be grateful he had Todd to talk with about things he couldn't share with me.

Thanks for the recipe. Next time I cook bacon I will save some grease for your soup.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  08:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara and Marilyn, I am so glad that each of you have big hearts and can reach out to each other and all of us here when we need some support. Life has some hard twists and turns and it is a blessing to have a community where you can share friendship and support with each other in a safe online place.

Sara, I love how there is always something yummy cooking out in the Yellow Rose Cottage!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad he traveled. So many of us marry young and never have those young adventures. My husband's parents could never get their act together. He would take off, leaving her and Robert alone. Then he would show up again, she took him back, got pregnant, and off he went. He surfaced again, they went back to Ohio, but when she wound up pregnant a third time, guess what!!! After her family got the money together for train tickets to bring them home, her parents said Never Again!!! My husband said his dad only came back one more time, when he was about 14. He took them to get a coke, and visited a bit and left. Sadly he never really knew his dad's family...although they were just thirty miles away. Now he has regrets, that he did not reach out to them, after he was grown.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 07 2017 09:07:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  4:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your soup sounds delicious, Marilyn. I'll have to make some. I LOVE winter soups and other crockpot meals.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  7:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the soup...you leave the bacon in the soup...so it is not crispy when I add the potatoes and carrots. Also if your bacon has lots of fat...you may want to drain some or press paper towels over the bacon and veggies (to absorb some of the fat, then discard the paper towels) before you add the liquids in.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 07 2017 7:58:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2017 :  06:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saturday I canned 4 pints gold potatoes.
Sunday - 4 pints red potatoes
This morning - 4 pints carrots
Tomorrow - celery in half pints

That's all my canning for the week unless I come across a really good bargain when I grocery shop on Wed.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2017 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 half pints of celery in pressure canner. I am running out of energy but not things to can or do something else with. A neighbor gave me a sack of apples and orange bell peppers.

After resting a bit I hope to make crock pot apple sauce to keep in fridge. Not enough energy today to can it. Tomorrow or Thurs hope to dry the orange peppers along with 2 red bell peppers I have for winter soups.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page