Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  06:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love using cast iron. Making homemade sloppy joes in mine today. Also some cheesy bay biscuits.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I made the Sweet Potato cheddar sage biscuits from MaryJane's blog post past week. They bake in a cast iron skillet and they were delicious with the white chili I made for dinner.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  08:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, how do you find Dominica Marchetti's Preserving Italy Cookbook? I've been thinking about purchasing her soup book. I do like the class I took with her on Craftsy.

Ruth, I did buy a cast iron pan just for breads, the cover lies flat. I haven't tested it yet. I need to get my act together and get a poolish started so that I can bake some artisan bread, you know use my new proofer and cast iron dutch oven.

Denise, I'm sort of afraid of using any tomato base in my cast iron pans. I think I read somewhere that the acid eats away at the seasoning. Something about your pan being well seasoned before you make an attempt. I'm not sure my pans are well seasoned. It won't matter with the enamel pan but not for the cast iron one. Enlighten me if I have it wrong!

Winnie, that's sounds delicious!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 07 2017 1:02:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  08:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole I found it on Amazon.

I have Pico de Gallo drying out in the Yellow Rose Cottage. It's the first time I have tried it so it's a test to see if I do it again.

I have a bunch of collard greens I need to prep for drying when the Pico de Gallo is done.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  08:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, How do you like Dominica Marchetti's Preserving Italy Cookbook? I apologize for not being clearer.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol Carole I like it very much. I like the feel of the book. I am interested in preserving in oil and vinegar and she has sections on that. I want to do her preserving butternut squash in oil. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I have pages labeled for recipes I want to try. I find for me her book inspires me to try something even if I don't follow her recipe to the letter. I find myself reading her book more than others.

It's one of those cookbooks I am so glad I have it.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  08:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, thank you for the review. I’ll order her soup book. I do love soups.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  09:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole let me know how you like her soup book. I make a lot of soups.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  05:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, You are correct in the tomato based dishes doing that. If it is left to sit or it is done to often. I rarely make tomato things because I have two who don't eat tomato or sauces from tomato. Mine are well seasoned as I have had them for years and do make sure they are well oiled before putting them away. It is good to season them again once in a while.

I have my kitchen uncluttered and completely organized, I got rid of all duplicates, things I never used and things I had because I "might" use them someday. All my counter tops are fairly clear because there is now room to store small appliances in the lower cabinets. Cleaned out drawers and put all utensils in those organizers so I don't have to dig for things and finally my refrigerator top as been set free!

Now I will enjoy cooking much more I think.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 08 2017 05:25:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  06:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise enjoy your de-cluttered kitchen. It's great to have extra room on the counter tops and neat drawers.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  3:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, You are so right. I can find everything I need when I need it and I didn't need all the "extras". I truly enjoy being in the kitchen now.
I really am my own worst enemy when it comes to cluttering things up so since the kitchen is done and I keep up with it I am working on a few "hotspots". I actually have the downstairs pretty much done now so it is just keeping up with it.

I made corned beef tonight and it was so good. It was in the crockpot all day. One of JT's favorites.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  06:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I canned 4 pints Greek spaghetti sauce with ground chuck.

This morning it's 4 pints heirloom cranberry beans in chipotle sauce and diced tomatoes with chipotle.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you Denise! That must have been a hefty task. I know it would be in my kitchen. I put everything away but I do have duplicates that clutter up. And I have an appliance problem. Do they have a step program for that? I have more appliances than cupboards they have spilled over into the dining room - Yikes.

Sara - you amaze me!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  06:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, lots going on in the kitchens these days!!

Sara, I bet your Greek spaghetti sauce is delicious!!

Denise, great idea to reclaim your kitchen from unnecessary items and give you the space and organization to enjoy cooking again!! I love a simple and clean kitchen but it is hard to achieve sometimes. I have limited storage space so I am always scheming ways to either get rid of something or rearrange stuff in the spaces that I do have. We hope to maybe update the kitchen in 2018 after we complete some necessary and expensive repairs of our driveway and replace a rotting yard fence. We just had some bad trees with dead parts removed the past two weeks and it was a huge project that took several days over two weeks. It has been a job that needed to get done, however, and I am glad it is finally done. Now we are trying to use up the HUGE mulch pile from the stump grinders work by mulching all of the planted areas. What a lot of mulch to try and get rid of and nobody in the neighborhood wants it either. But we are making progress and I can get my car into the carport now! LOL!

Last week, I did make MaryJane's recipe from her new Cast Iron Cookbook with a slight change. She has this easy sweet potato yeast roll recipe and I just substituted canned pumpkin for the sweet potato and it turned out delicious!! The bread rose up big and light and was moist and delicious. Instead of making rolls, I just made it into a loaf . Really , really tasty and a great recipe for the Fall or anytime of year.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  04:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister, Betty, was given a sack of jalapeno peppers so she gave them to me. After prepping I have 2 1/4 lbs. So I will be canning peppers for a day or two.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2017 :  11:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like I am going to have to get MJ's cast iron cookbook.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, indeed you ought to get MJF's cookbook ... it is so well laid out ... the recipes are yummy!

Winnie, thanks for the tip on the sweet potato bread. I haven't tried anything from the book, just sat and drooled over the pictures! lol

This Monday I made a batch of fruit cakes. It is a family Christmas tradition. Mine has no raisins in it ... just lots of fruits and nuts.

The mix!

Secret ingredient

I will be refreshing the cakes with the secret ingredient for the next four weeks. This year I made four small cakes (I usually make 4 large ones) and two large ones. The small ones are easier to give as gifts. I understand that not everyone is fan of fruit cake, and I can certainly understand why. I have tasted some horrible fruit cakes in my life ... These are my favorites, if I do say so myself!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 17 2017 1:33:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  1:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Carole, your Christmas fruitcakes look fantastic!! I love, love fruitcake and your secret ingredient must make them absolutely the very best!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  1:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie!

So, on Wednesday I made a Ginger scone recipe from the book Breaking Bread by Martin Philip. OMG, they were so good, I could have eaten the whole batch all by myself! So I made another batch just to make sure I wouldn't run out! lol

Carole

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, those fruitcakes look delicious. I love fruitcake. My aunt has the best recipe for it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your baked goods look very tasty. Nice work.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2017 :  3:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend, I decided to pull out my Mom's favorite Pumpkin Bread recipe and make it. It is a yeast bread with pumpkin puree and a bit of cinnamon. It not only makes a nice big loaf, it is also very good toasted with apple butter!! In the photo, you can see the recipe card that is written by my Mom decades ago. It was a perfect way to start off Thanksgiving week!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2017 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, Those ginger scones look amazing! Would you mind sharing the recipe? The fruitcake looks good, although I am not a big fan!
Winnie, That Pumpkin Bread looks real yummy too - I'm full, but it all still looks good :)
We had our annual Thanksgiving Dinner at Church tonight, and I couldn't eat another bite. Plus we had our annual "girls weekend" at Grammy's. Daughters, granddaughters, granddaughters in love and one future granddaughter in love. This Grammy is tired tonight but it was an awesome weekend!!!!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2017 :  8:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie that pumpkin bread looks delicious.
Ruth it sounds like you had a good day and week end with your annual girls week end.
Well have a good night.

Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2017 :  3:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winning, your mom's favourite pumpkin bread looks yummy!

The other day I tried a recipe from Domenica Marchetti's book The Glorious Soups & Stews of Italy - Crema di Porcini - let me tell you, it's a mushroom soup alright. There are five different mushrooms in there! Porcini, white button, baby bella, portobello and shiitake mushrooms!

It was yummy! However, this would not be an everyday soup ... but more for a special occasion!

I did blog about this soup ... seems my quilting blog has turned into a cooking block ... oh well, it's all about creativity!

Carole

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page