debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile
My first time of making laundry soap last night and I am trying it today. I also grated lots of different soaps to try several some dry some liquid. I will let you know which recipe I like best. Is there anyone out there that has a favorite and willing to share.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  11:26:08 AM  Show Profile
I use Castille Soap, washing soda, and Borax to make my laundry soap. I'm very happy and impressed with the results. I'm actually mixing up a batch right now. I've been making my own laundry soap since August. Have fun experimenting to get the mix the way you like it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  12:30:35 PM  Show Profile
I did the feis-Nathpa soap, washing soda, borax and surprise how it smells like the outdoors. I have only wash one load, we will see. I have going to make liquid next batch.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  3:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I have made my own laundry soap for about 18 years but make a nice simply lye soap for it. Usually I scent it with lemon or peppermint and after a month of having it set, I then grate it. I don't add anything to it now, but when my boys were little I added borax for the added cleaning power.
I am new here but decided to just jump in.

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Glad you did jumped right it. This is a very friendly place, and your welcome to jump in anywhere. You will find most friendly and willing to help. Make yourself at home. We are a loving, beautifully community of women. I rally think you will feel at and fit right in.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a detailed recipe for making one's own laundry soap, ie. quantities. Anyone willing to share?

Di
Farmgirl #73
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  06:17:10 AM  Show Profile
I just made mine and strted trying it. you might want to wait and see if it does the trick. Patty in Texas as seem come across a good one, she been using since August. I will ask her.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  06:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I use the equal measurements (such as a cup each) of Borax, Washing Soda, and Castille Soap. I grate the soap with my Parmesan cheese grater, then I let it dry for a day or two, then mix in the other two ingredients. That's all there is too it. Have fun experimenting with different recipes.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  07:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I put in a box of borax, a box of Washing Soda, 2lbs of baking soda and then I either grate a few bars of my homemade soap, use 3 bars of Fels Naptha soap, or recently I just tried the Boraxo Powdered Hand Soap (yup...I was being lazy) and I really like it.
I just use one tablespoon of my mixture per load, sometimes more if it is a dirty diaper load.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!

Edited by - Alee on Dec 17 2007 07:48:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  12:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Alee! Where do you find the washing soda? One of our markets here used to carry it, and now I can't find it anywhere. Any hints from you gals who get it???

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  1:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
All the grocery stores in this area carry it. You could probably ask them to order it for you, or check at the big box stores. Suprisingly enough they usually have it too! Also the hardware stores that are more that hardware stores (like Mom and Pop stores) sometimes have it too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8 Just call me Calamity Jane!!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  1:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to check the dreaded WM. I'll bet they will have it. Thanks, Alee!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  2:12:55 PM  Show Profile
I buy my washing soda at Jewel Grocery Store. Try looking in any large grocery chains detergent section for it. Good luck!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile
They only have a giant box of baking soda at walmart.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  5:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cristine-

Each Wal-Mart orders differently, the managers of each section get to pick within parameters what they carry. Ours here has the washing soda, though for personal reasons I no longer shop there.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8 Just call me Calamity Jane!!
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  5:39:47 PM  Show Profile
My walmart did not have washing soda but Yokes did. I think each store different. Keep looking. You will find it.
And Thanks everyone for sharing. This is great!

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  5:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Can I again urge you all to NOT use Fels Naptha? It is sooo harsh and is made with petro chemicals. castille is a clean and green alternative and is not caustic on your skin and is dye and fragrance free.....just my 2 cents.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  06:30:40 AM  Show Profile
It's good to know that. thank you for your 2 cents..

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi I have a question about the homemade laundry soap. I usually do large loads of laundry and wondered how much of the poweder do you use?? I found the washing soda, borax, and I bought livestock baking soda in a 50 lb bag. I bought the fels napa before I seen the post that it was caustic. By the way kroger in my area carries all the stuff needed to make the laundry soap. Could I use my own homemade castile/tallow/herbal goat milk soap?? Would this be to oily ?? Anyway do I made this laundry poweder equal parts of everything and how fine does the bar soap needed to be grated ? I have already grated the soap but it seems kind of large. I used the one for cheese. The really fine one wasn't really grating it. Anyway I would really apreciate any help. I have been trying to go green on many things but can't afford to buy them all. I bought some of shakleys things but need to make more of it on my own. The basic H is great though. I will definely keep buying that. It works on all kinds of things. Anyway love reading all the imput. You ladies sure have allot of good info to share. Thanks !!
wooliespinner

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:16:29 PM  Show Profile
I use my own homemade soap for laundry soap, but I don't use my goat milk soap, just a simple lye soap recipe. Make sure its cured good and it works great. We have been using it for nearly 20 years. Even got my boys clothes clean when they were little !

http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  8:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Wooliespinner my recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons, but if its really dirty I use 3 to 4 and do an extra rinse.
Patty would you please send me your recipe, please. do a PM (Click on my name) if you don't want to post it.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  05:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you both Morning Ramble and Debinmtns,

I think the recipe calls for equal amounts of borax,washing soda, baking soda and grated soap. The grated soap I am not sure on. You ladies were talking about liquid soap. Do you just add water to make it ?? Sorry I know I have come in on this chat at the end but am so very intersted in switching over to homemade. Thanks a bunch.
Wooliespinner

Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
Just a "newbie" question..
I'd love to make my own laundry soap but am wondering how making it lines up cost-wise with purchasing it. Also how is it's cleaning power? With 4 little ones, I've got a lot of grime....
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  07:20:24 AM  Show Profile
By the way, if anyone who has the recipe and wants to send it directly to me that would be great also. Either way posting it here or sending it to me would be great !! I know HFox cost is definately an issue. I bought shakly laundry powder and its right up there with tide on price. Its pretty high. I am hoping this is more cost effective.
take care everyone.
wooliespinner

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  07:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is so much cheaper than buying the store bought stuff. And I think it works just as well as the store boughten. For a big batch I put in 1 box borax (2.00) 1 Box washing soda (3.00) 2lbs of baking soda (1.00) and a cannister of Boraxo hand soap or 3 of my homade soaps (1.50) so for a total cost of $7.50 I can fill a 2-3 gallon bucket full (I reusue one of those "Sun" laundry detergent buckets) And I use the same laundry detergent batch for 2-4 months depending on load amounts. I only use a tablespoon per load sometimes more if it is really grimey.

If I have ultra stained clothes (like husbands under arm areas on white shirts) I put all my unusable bits of hand soap in a bucket and fill with water. It makes a gelled slurry. I soak the really stained bits in there over night and then wash in the morning. It is amazing how clean it can get most things!

As far as the homemade laundry detergent- I think it does a great job. My clothes don't feel as thick with residue as they used to with commercial laundry detergent and I don't have to seperate my baby's clothes from the rest of the families. I don't have to use Dreft or other baby detergent because the homemade doesn't leave residue behind.

I guess you could always make a batch and try it (since it's relatively cheap) and if you didn't like it you could always go back to the store boughten stuff.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Nora has me wrapped around her little finger!
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  07:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
Good information, Alee. I'm almost out of our yicky store bought stuff I think I'll whip a bacth up using your recipe.
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Made my 1st Laundry soap Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page