oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  8:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope your wrist gets better soon! I fell this evening on the porch while I was carrying Olivia and smacked my head on the floor! Ouch! Olivia was fine so that was the good part! It's no fun to fall! I must say I hope Lucas takes well to his name!

To Lillie, Lily and Melissa, Welcome to farmgirl connection! I don't have any animals yet, but I am an avid spinner and fiber collector!! haha! You will love it here!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  05:28:26 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I hate falling, especially now as I get older. I have farther to fall and too much to do to get hurt. And I could not milk if I hurt my hands or wrists. That time my ram got me on my knuckles was right before milking time and they hurt for weeks. But still had to milk. I guess it's that "pressing on" thing. It's gotta get done and I am the only one to do it. So I try to be as careful as possible around here, but s**t happens, right?

Stay safe out there, Miss Grace.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace! Were we, perhap's, separated at BIRTH?

A few weeks ago I messed up my knee chasing the same 4 darn sheep that got out nearly every single morning! The grass was very icy and I was in my slippers (Mistake #1 ladies! Don't go chasing sheep in your slippers!) Luckily I had my two trusty little Sheep Herdin' Chihuahuas with me! (yes, you read right-- CHIHUAHUAS!! One of them lays claim to some Corgi blood (thus his amazing "herding" instincts-- all 8lbs of it! LOL!!) As one leg went one way, the other knee went POP-- and boy did I see **STARS***! Thankfully the dogs kept the rotten sheep from bolting as I lay on the ground laughing over my stupidity and yellin' out "GET 'EM IN JACK!" --- he circled one way, my half blind girl, Marley, (I don't know how SHE knew what to do!) circled the other way and I brought up the middle -- hobbling and cursing under my breath the WHOLE way!!! But, we got them in safely..... And THEY got a new pen built a short time later! (Bless my Dear Hubby!!)

Oh, by the way (and I may have posted it here somewhere before) I have those WONDERFUL little Babydoll sheep too! I've been raising them for over a decade now. I hate to shatter the illusion though-- but those sheep can be just as rotten and as much of a headache as any OTHER breed of sheep! Left to their OWN devices they are not so bad, but add Jacob sheep (which were the ones I was chasing when I hurt myself) and Nigerian Dwarf goats (or ANY goat for that matter!), they become total pains in the rear! Anyone who thinks sheep are totally docile, STUPID, and un-teachable need to come and visit MY farm! If the goats are out, so are the sheep! If the sheep are out alone it's 'cause the GOATS showed them how to DO IT!!! Trust me, there is NEVER a dull moment here. I guess that's why I named the place "WildEve Ranch"-- don't know who's WILDER though -- ME, or the critters!!! Some days it's a toss up. (LOL!)

Oh, and I agree with the other ladies in their praise to you Lily. What an angel you are for taking in those little lambs! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I know what you mean about milking - I broke my hand while taking care of a milking farm and chores sure too a long time doing everthing one handed. You be care around the rams....

It was suggested to me that we should make a chore suit out of bubble wrap - heck all that would mean is a ton of noise when we hit the floor...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  5:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have been laughing awhile now at the picture in my head of someone wrapped up in bubble wrap and falling. How funny! But not a bad idea, girl. You should market that. I could use one here. My little heifer is getting a bit rambunctious latey and butting my legs and back end. I'm so afraid she might break my leg one day. I have to carry a stick now when I go to feed them.

I am still laughing! Too hilarious for words.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  09:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Gals, I will be the first to buy that bubble wrap suit and maybe a large clear bubble too. I too am getting older and more fragile...sold my horses, have a few cows and my sheep, dogs, cats. I have a 6 ft shepherd's hook and it goes with me everywhere. I don't even try to round up the sheep anymore if they get out...I have a cow's bell hanging on the gate and I always ring it before feeding grain, the sheep have gotten use to it and know that they get grain when they hear the bell.(glad the nearest neighbor is a couple miles away.) they come running. If they get out, I open the gate and ring the bell and they come in on their own. When my cattle dog, Sissy, sees the sheep are out, she runs to the gate with the bell and barks. In case things get too out of hand, the dogs and I climb on the 4 wheeler and do the round up. (This seems to happen when the lambs are getting older, wanting to venture off in groups and the mother calling them does no good.)
Kris, be careful with your heifer, if she is a big pet and thinks you are mom, she can get to playing too rough. Sugar, is 6 years old and she still puts her head down and goes to romping when she thinks I am coming out to play with her. She is a big white cow, 1200 lbs. She follows me when I am out in the pastures, even mushroom hunting in the spring but I know never to trust her very far.
A nice warm, windy day in Missouri.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  4:30:54 PM  Show Profile
I think I found myself another business line for the Funny Farm - Bubble Wrap work clothes - I could see myself sitting late into the night at the sewing maching making the perfect outfitts for all of us farm ladies who work hard and need to keep our bodies safe. Sure I think I have 15 minutes somewhere in the schedule to get on to another business

The animals who are left at my farm stop in their tracks if I just shout - folks are amazed but as I tell them I am not running all over so they need to listen. When my boys where here they would run all over the place trying to get a hand on someone. I have that same hook and the whole farm comes to a stand still if I come out of the barn with that thing - fiber is going to fly if I have misbehaving sweet ones. I must say that problem left when I sold the last sheep. Now the only time I use the hook is when two legged's act out...

Well, everyone of us will have to walk safely, keep those eyes in the back of our head wide open and no more running in fields with fluffy house slippers...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  4:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Missy, I had not forgotten about your posting just really catching up. I like the wormer you purchased and have used it. As far as recipes I am right now not where I can get to those books but I will dig them out in the next day or so - just up to my eyeballs... I have been trying to get a handle on the shop and fiber work room but just received two large wholesale orders this weekend so it looks like I am going to be behind again. Hang in there and also if you give me specific questions I can answer easier. Great to have you here - it is a great bunch of very smart women...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile
O.K. ladies here is another question for you all

With the economy in free fall have you put into place any new business plans to assist your farm in getting thru the slow times - if so, would you be willing to share???

Next is are you planning to add any new niche markets to your farm plan - if so, would you be willing to share??

Hope everyone is having a loving day - I got all my goat kisses this morning when I surprised everyone with fresh apples and pears. The chocolate mousse is for me tonight..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  5:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Grace, to be honest, the economy has fell so fast that I have not got anything in place yet. But I have been thinking about it alots lately. Last year when the hay and corn shot up and the fuel prices were out of sight, I was thinking of down sizing my flock and I did sell lambs after the first of the year and and got the best prices that I have ever gotten but I did not sell ewe lambs...purchased a new Border ram... My crstyal ball is very foggy and I have never felt so out of it before. Calves sold good too but who knows what next fall will bring...prices of all the feeds and fuel???
Girls, do you feel like you are caught in a vacuum and don't know which way to turn and have no control, just hanging on or is it just me? I don't know if my job will be there or if my husband's job will be there...don't know if my husband's retirement fund will be there next December like we have planned...so many ifs.
I wonder if people will spin more wool and do more things like that when times get tough or will just buying food and paying the bills be the priority??? I am not worrying just wondering and trying to stay in the game.
I am very interested in how others will answer this question. Grace, what are you thinking? Has or will your operation change?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:30:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Grace, I feel like you a little bit now. Last night I was coming downstairs and had my slippers on. I missed the bottom step and down I went. I whacked my right elbow somewhere and fell on my butt and back. Thank goodness for extra padding. But I though I was going to pass out from the pain. I hate pain. I really thought I broke my right elbow for sure. It hurt so bad. But it's ok this morning. A little bruised but ok.

Then awhile ago hubby and I had to go get a truck load of our hay from a friends barn. We were unloading it and putting it in the shed out back. It has a really low roof. And I hit my head every time I go out there. And did it again just awhile ago. Whacked it good. Man, that just makes me so mad and I say things I should not say. But shoot, it hurts!

So I just thought about you and all your hurts. I hope you're ok and haven't had any falls or hits lately. Take care.

And about the ? I would love to have about 20 head of grass-fed cattle out back if that was my land. I have thought about seeing if the guy who owns it would let me put cows back there. He lets me use his small pasture for my 2 calves and I have had sheep and goats over there, too. I think that would be a profitable venture. It would take awhile to get them to market weight, but not a lot of cost in them. Just grass and hay. So that's what I have thought of doing. Too bad my SIL doen't drive the cattle truck anymore. That's how I got my 2 calves. For free! I still could talk to the guy that has the truck and see if I could get a few more. And I just gave them goat milk, too, since I had plenty at the time.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, I hope you are feeling better!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica. My elbow is pretty sore now after loading and unloading about 60 bales of hay today. I'm so thankful I did not break it. I cannot imagine me with a broken anything and do all I have to do here. I don't know how people do it on a farm with broken bones. Especially around milking time. I've had hurt hands before and had to milk. It hurts bad but has to be done.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am knocking on all the wood I can find - no gracefull moments for me this week. I did have to laugh - I have been lossing weight for the past year and had not realized the difference until I went out to feed this morning and we have had wind for the last three days - well, I stepped out took two steps and the wind picked me off my feet. I felt like the Flying Nun - boy that dated me....

Hope your elbow is doing better Kris - I know elbows effect a bush of range of motion issues.

Also, with my weight loss I have taken to sitting on a pillow when spinning because as the saying goes "I have worked my butt off" and I really did not notice until spending the day spinning - no cushion back there anymore.

As for plans, I am trying not to fell like the deer in the headlights. I found out Saturday that the electric company out here has doubled the price of watts. Now I do not waste but my animals deserve heat lamps in the bitter cold. With hay at $14.00 for a small bale, propane prices not going down - I just wonder what more is instore for us. Then I have customers who are not making ends meet so they have cut back on their goodies. Now don't get me wrong I still have a stead business and I have not raised my prices to help my cutomers but the rest of the world is digging into my pocketbook without any relief in sight.

I had one of my retail stores that carries my products go belly up last week. No warning until she called for me to pick up my productss. I have another retail store that is hanging on by her fingernails. She is so upset that I do not think her health will hold out. This week I am redoing my farm store and looking at going back to carrying regular hours at the farm store. I am also opening another store on line but with my present work load I am not sure how I will get it all done.

Would love to hear more about your thoughts of how to stay on a postive mind trail - mine is when life gets too much I go out and give hugs and snugs to all the animals. Does the trick everytime. If you all where close by I would include you in the hugs too.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  2:56:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, still waiting on my three goat girls and their babies. My one girl Gretal has such a prounced private that I ache for her. Must really hurt. She is still eating, walking and such put needless to say I have not had much sleep.

Have to ask you gals - WHAT is the longest overdue any of your animals been?

Hope to have good news soon.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rae, here it is. It is a long thread. Have fun!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  1:44:32 PM  Show Profile
BUMPING for Rae.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Grace, just read your last post. How's the girls? I guess they would all have had babies by now.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  8:52:17 PM  Show Profile
You would think but NO! The last three girls have to date no babies, however, "Mother Goose" is so big that today she could not even get up. I had to go and lift her up and she sure does not like that. Also, she is so wide that I forgot to open the barn door bigger then normal and she could not fit thru. I would laugh but she has me really concerned. As for my oldest gal - I pray every day that she is not going to deliver anything but a huge hay belly. She is so full of fleece and can not hear any heart beats but remember that was the same last year and I ended up with Mishka. Then there is Gretal, big milk bag, puffy privates and still no baby. I am almost thinking she is have an phantom baby. My girl friend had that happen to one of her sheep girls but I have never had that here. Since she is in a jug and only let out with my supervision I know we did not misplace a baby - maybe aliens have beamed it up???

Tonight we are expecting about 16 inches of snow so who knows it is a great time to have kids??? You know it has been super nice weather and we only have babies in blizzards...

How is everyone else doing with babies?

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  05:50:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I talked to my sister yesterday in C.S. and she said ya'll are supposed to get a blizzard this weekend. Yep, those critters usually wait for the worst weather to have the babies. So get ready! They really sound huge and so miserable, poor things. How many so far?

We still have about 5 weeks to go for my goat girls. I'm not so sure about 2 of them, but the other 4 are big. Not huge yet, but big. I still need to give them their CDT shots. I'm way behind on that. Can I give the goats that I'm not sure are pregnant a shot anyway? Will it hurt them to have one? I guess I could call a vet to ask that, but thought you might know. I will go today and get the syringes.

Good luck with the blizzard and the babies.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
Thank you!!!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  08:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Grace- to answer your question about the economy-
my husband and I started preparing about 7 months ago- but- I had sort of a heads up from a friend-
Hubby has his own business- used to be he was so busy he was booking work 3 months out- now- he hasn't had a job in a month-
I recieve SS, and I'm supposed to get child support- but right now we are financially trying to make it on what I bring in.
But last year, when things were still ok- I went to Boise and we stocked up on everything- and I mean everything- anything, (almost) that one could think of needing for a USA meltdown, we got. From an actual surgical kit- to water filters, small solar panels, canned goods, meds, how-to books,-jeesh- the list goes on and on-
But in addition to all that I started making plans for what I could do at home that would bring a little extra in- so we have LOTS of chickens- for eggs to use and barter with- and meat to use and barter with. We have goats- for milk and meat to use-barter, and I hope to start a fiber line as well- of course- to use or barter with.
I am also putting in a huge, (for us), garden, and a medicinal herbal garden, and a small orchard.Our goal is to be able to feed ourselves- and have some to put away-barter with- so that we can have a fullfilled life.
The only thing I want now is a honey bee hive, and huge root cellar!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  09:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Kris and Jami
THANK YOU for bumping this up so I could find it. There is so much good info. I am getting really excited. Just need ground to thaw enough so can get a fence up !!!!
Really is nice to be able to go to a place and get information for stuff.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  10:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Sandra sounds like your humming along with great plans. You are doing everything right and just keep you eye on the prize. I have been thinking of scaling back - house too big, property too big, work load too big, and then I think stop whinning and get to work.

Yep a blizzard is going and last night and early this morning I have put everything in order for the worst. I even got my shower in and hair done just in case we loss power for days like the last time. Did my cooking last night for the week, settled all the animals just in case they are stuck for days. Told "Mother Goose" the huge goat that just in case I have stored goats milk and tons of supplies so we are set... As I am typing you can not see out the window of my office - white out right now. We had for the past two days livestock warnings so I take those very seriously.

As for the question of CDT - remember I am the total holistic person so I do not give those and have not for over 10 years. I think I might wait - I hate to give undue stress to expecting sweet one's. I am sure others could speak to this issue. Also, there should be info on the shot package if I remember correctly. If no one has the answer give me a little time and I can look it up in my books.

Stay safe everyone today it is going to be a white and bummpy road.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  10:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Grace
You were right there is so much good info. I want to raise our animals without all the hormones and junk so I am sure I will continue on with questions.
Thanks again
Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page