grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Brenda you do not have to blend it but I used that combination because it placed my batts and rovings in a great niche market. Also it was used as a selling point for both my sheep and llamas. You know that marketing thing. I used my carding machine because of the amount of fiber I have to work on - it is a patrick green electric so I can do mass quanities - also with the carder I can make incredible batts and rovings that would not happen with hand cards or combs. I love using double pitch combs whenever using combs I also use a hackle for speed and blending. I also blend the thel with cashmere or angora for a high priced luxury blend - In fact I have some that will be placed on Etsy very soon. It is from one of my lamb fleeces that I have been hoping to get done and now I have - turned out lovely and I hate to part with it but those feed bills are steep.

Have fun and remember a light hand works better when pulling the tog.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Grace. All this info is going to be so helpful.
I just happen to know somebody who has some angora laying around! Maybe I can work out a deal with her!!!
One more question...did you ever make Lopi yarn by blending the thel and the tog? I know a lady who makes fisherman's sweaters and is interested in having some of my yarn, when I have some ready.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Boy Do I!!! I love LOPI Yarn...
I just got done spinning some last night - I hope to get it on one of the sites this weekend. I love using that style of yarn for my Australian Locker Hooking and I live in my Icelandic Sweaters during the cold months. I have some great patterns for that style of yarn too. That is one of the reason I started with Icelandic sheep - the yarn is so incredible to work with and wears like a dream. Oh in fact when I closed my in town store I had a few sweaters left there so I also hope to get them on the sites this weekend... I guess you can tell I LOVE it...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  9:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Just knowing that you are all here for me means more to me than any of you will ever know! What is killing me is the waiting and not really knowing what is going to happen!

Brenda, Right now if I don't laugh I will cry!!:) I am just determined not to let it drag me down!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  09:04:42 AM  Show Profile
It's been very quiet here all week! I hope everyone is having a good productive week! I got to show a friend of mine in town how to spin yarn! I warned her that it's addictive!:) she wanted to do some thick singles to weave a basket for her mom and I gave her a bunch of roving to use! Her husband ended up helping her do it with his drill motor and it came out really cool!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Hope all is well with everyone. We are heading into an Arctic blast and I am so not ready to deal with this emotionally.....it's been so dark with the outside lights coming on before 4:00 and staying on until late morning. Today it's the wind (I'm sure Grace knows what I mean with that one) and we are doing last minute prep for expected snow with single digit temps. It's going to be a long cold day I think. The good news is I have all my supplies for Thanksgiving already and am gearing up to have 15 for dinner on Thursday.

Any movement on the house situation, Monica? How is Gary doing?

Guess I should get bundled up and get started on the day. The sooner I get out there the sooner I will be finished.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Right now I could be doing a new Christmas version "Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" haha!! Gary is trying to catch Steve in town to find out when we can move in! He is also going for surgery again on the 24th to have the other hernia fixed!! Otherwise we are all doing really good! Our neighbors are coming over for Thanksgiving on Tuesday since Gary goes the day after for surgery and then my neighbor goes on Saturday for surgery, but she can't have any sugar for two days before she goes so we figured if we did it early than everyone could enjoy themselves! I am looking forward to cooking!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I keep praying for your stresses to soon be behind you! I hope you enjoy your early holiday dinner.
Sheri, I don't envy you the cold! I think I am kinda glad we couldn't afford to buy land farther north and west! I am remembering those cold, snowy, windy, very short days when we lived in North Dakota! Here in norther Missouri it is chilly, but sunny most days, so far. I know we will get plenty of snow, which I love, but hopefully we won't have so much gray and wind.
Your big Thanksgiving sounds wonderful, though. I love having lots of people around to cook big holiday meals for. It looks like we will have the two of us, plus 7 more for dinner here. It will be our first traditional Thanksgiving in years. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so I am very excited.
Grace, I look forward to making Lopi yarn most of all, and that is probably what I will concentrate on mostly with this first batch of wool. I am thankful for you and your plethora of information.
I imagine it is going to be a busy week for most of us. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. May God richly bless your homes, your tables and your hearts.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  9:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I guess Steve had to go back to Phoenix because his Father-in-law is sick so I am praying all is well for his family! As soon as he is back in town Gary is going to ask him about moving in! In the mean time I am busy trying to get as much as I can listed on etsy and my website and getting ready for dinner Tuesday! There is too much going on to stress over it anymore! It will just happen when it happens!:)

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  4:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Ang and Wayne left this morning after a nice short visit. They arrived Thursday night and left this morning. Time flew! Our youngest daughter's family will arrive next Friday, the day after Thanksgiving and we will celebrate Brandon's birthday. Things have been very hectic for a few months and I am ready for it all to slow down.

I get out of work at noon on Tuesday until the following Monday. After all the celebrating and having family here...I will need to take a breather.

Sheri, You keep that weather up there...OK? I enjoyed the temps in the 60s today and a little windy so I grabbed as much outside time as I could.

Monica, I sure hope your life settles down soon. Keeping you in my prayers.

Rae, I am also praying for you and your family.

Michele, how is your weather? Sure looks like you are getting hard there too.

Grace, how are your chicks? Has your little goat boy got of time out yet?

Brenda, hasn't are weather been nice? I about can't believe it. I think we are about a hour away from each other. Enjoyed your pictures on your blog. I have been so busy and playing catch up with blog, MJ's and just realized Danny had purchased a bunch of tomatoes for me to make burchetta???)

Lori, will try to read your blog before I go to bed tonight...after chopping all these tomatoes and basil.

I will try to get back on and get caught up soon.

God bless all, Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings to all

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  04:06:47 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Sarita, it has been just gorgeous. Greg says this is the kind of weather he enjoys working in...you can work hard but don't sweat! LOL!
We got a little unexpected thunder shower during the night. Greg thought we might be getting a cold front coming in, but it doesn't feel any colder out there to me.
I'm hoping this lovely weather continues at least until my friend has had her visit. After that it can snow!
Happy Thanksgiving week, everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Glad to hear things are going well in your neck of the woods, Sarita. Sounds like you will have a busy Thanksgiving.

I hope the weather holds for you, Brenda. We are not so lucky - woke up to 3 inches of snow and it's coming down as I write. We are supposed to get another 3 to 6 inches by tomorrow. Add to that wind advisory this afternoon and sub zero temps for the next three days....brrrr!!! This could have waited until next week....

Monica - I will keep Gary in my thoughts and prayers for an easy and successful surgery this week. Be sure to take some time to relax and de-stress. It's not easy being the care giver.

Hope things are going well for you Grace. How are things in the weather dept. in your area?

I have been thinking of you, Rae. I hope things are well for you too.

Have a nice day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  6:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Been busy here, too, just like the rest of you. I drove several trips last week, so time away from home, but it will result in some nice Christmas money! The weather here has been strange. It gets below freezing, then it was 70-something today, and we are under a tornado watch as I type. Supposed to be below freezing again by the end of the week. Gee whiz.

Monica - sounds like you have your plate full! (no pun intended!) Hopefully the saga will end for you soon. It seems like things that we want to happen always take their time.

Sarita - I hope you enjoy your break this week. I am jealous of your grown children, we have had a rough couple of days with our oldest two. Jessica just went to bed in a stew over who knows what. Ethan has been being a typical 13 year old boy. Nuff said. We will survive. Still waiting to hear whether you will be having a granddaughter or grandson!

I am trying to finish up getting ready for the fiber show in two weeks. I made Christmas batts today, and I am carding some black cotswold in with some cream wool and it is making the most beautiful silvery gray. Stan loves it and has asked for a scarf. I spent some time with the big cotswold cross ewe, Hannah, yesterday. She is growing really crimpy fleece this year. It amazes me how much their wool can change for the better with proper care! She has a lot of Romney in her, and her fleece is more like that breed than cotswold, so we are thinking of breeding her with Smokey, the BL, next year, to see if she has a lamb with coopworth type fleece. Smokey got in with Hannah and the big cotswold ram last week while we were at church and they of course got in a fight. Surprisingly, it appears Smokey won, and he is half Sampson's size. Sampson wound up with a bloody head that we have been doctoring. It is always something.

Hope everyone stays warm and dry and has a blessed Thanksgiving!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  9:45:17 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is interested in a chance at a Fancy Kitty drum carder, Ron is giving one away! All you have to do to enter is join the ravelry group and leave a comment as to why you would like one in the Topic "Why I love Fancy Kitty Entries Here" http://www.ravelry.com/groups/fancy-kitty-lovers

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  02:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
Where is the fiber festival you are going to? I am shooting for Bethel this year as my "break-in" to that world. After I see how that goes I will start trying to find out about others I can sign up for.
I would really like to go to the Michigan Fiber Festival this year, but not as a vendor. I have wanted to go to that one for years, now. I think it is in March.
And for what it is worh, my daughter, Jessica, and I are lucky we didn't have any casualties when she was a teenager! But now she is an absolute joy. These days pass and then you have a lot to laugh about later. Jessica loves nothing more to tell stories on me now! Of course she also loves to embellish a bit, too!
Monica, I like your attitude about all the difficulties...I know it hasn't beem easy. I continue to pray for you.
Sheri, it sounds like everybody has been having a lot of this "back-and-forth" weather. It certainly seems to have hit us. I hope all of you in the colder climes are able to stay toasty.
Today I'll be baking my dinner rolls and making up my pie dough for pie-baking tomorrow. My youngest son and his family arrived yesterday afternoon. I have some banan muffins left ovewr from last week that have started to dry out a bit, so I told him I would make some banana bread pudding! The boy loves anything with bananas in it...must come from growing up in Africa! He's part monkey!
He and Greg are off to hunt a deer this morning. I told them they'd better not shoot my horse, my donkey, or any of my sheep!
Happy week, everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  06:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Brenda ~ A few years ago there was a cattleman in our area that would go out with colored hair paint like you use at Halloween and write C-O-W on his cows during deer season so they wouldn't get shot! His farm was backed up to a forest, so he had cause to be worried! The show I am going to is at Mount Magazine State Park, here in Arkansas. Stan and I are talking about vending at Bethel next year, too. The lady we have bought so many sheep from goes every year and is trying hard to convice us to go. We are contemplating buying a camper shell for the pickup and using it to haul our wares in, then sleeping in it at night at a camp ground. It would cut our overhead. Pulling the 5th wheel sucks the gas out of the truck, and hotel rooms are sooooo expensive. We have talked about applying at Michigan, but we will have to see if it works out. I guess I missed the fact that you lived in Africa! If you don't mind me asking, why? Was it family, or mission work, or job related? I don't think I have ever known anyone who actually lived in Africa! That is too cool! I bet you have seen some really awesome things!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  09:04:44 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. Brrrrr.....!!! We had blizzard warnings last night and this morning and it is COLD and getting colder. We are supposed to be -15 tonight. The high for today will be 8. It wouldn't be so bad but the wind is horrible. White out conditions at times. Makes taking care of the livestock twice as hard. The north wind makes it so I am facing right into the wind when heading to the barn. Not too much accumulation of snow only about 6 to 8 inches but the blowing makes it almost impossible to clean it up. Hopefully everyone will make it here safely for Thanksgiving. This is really very unusual for here and this is record breaking cold. Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  09:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
Yes, we were missionaries in Africa for almost four and a half years. After Greg retired from the military, he went to Harding there in Searcy to get his degree in Bible, then we went off to the Village of Hope in Ghana, W. Africa. It was the hardest four plus years of my life! But, also the most rewarding. We had no electricity for the first year we were there, and no running water for even longer...well, no FRESH running water. We had a water tank that was gravity-fed into the house, but we had to have it filled by water tankers. And the water was always a lovely shade of brown! We didn't even have that for the first few months. Instead I had to get trash cans filled with water, which I kept in the kitchen. We had no toilet or showers for the first couple of months. Our daughter got married just before we went, but our three boys (12, 14 and 16) went with us.
I liked Bethel for my first visit to a fiber festival as it was small and not too overwhelming. I think it will be a good one for my first time being a vendor, as well. I just want to visit Michigan before I try to go as a vendor! I'd like to get the "lay-of-the-land" first!
I am told that the one at Bethel is under new management now. Evidently it had steadily gone down-hill in recent years, but last year was much better. They are hoping for much improvement under this new management. There were a lot of visitors, I thought, for it being such a small town. But I have nothing to compare it to.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  08:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - hope all are warm.. Bitter cold here, blizzard is in the mountains but the weather guessers are saying no snow in Denver where I will be with the family.

I am sure everyone's ovens have been going full tilt except for my power outage the other day I have been cooking up a storm. Some for the holiday but mostly to get ahead and have meals done so I can work and deal with weather.

Monica give Gary my best and you all know you are in my prayers.

Sheri I so understand about the wind - it has been around 62 miles an hour here and bitter cold. Broke my weather vein, windchimes, birdfeeders and took a couple of shingles off the coop. It is at times like these we remember we are strong women but forget having any type of hairdo. I am lucky if I can manage to untangle this mess.

Lori your fiber sounds wonderful and as for shows well my best advise is give it a try and I have heard that Bethel has had it share of troubles but it is good to get out there. Most of the shows I have done are down south and in the west so I am not much help but I can say networking at the shows is well worth the money. I still get folks for remember me from some of the worst shows - so in my world their is no bad show it just means we have to work harder and be a bit more creative then they next vendor.

The buzzer on the oven is saying my banana cranberry bread is done so check in later. Stay warm and safe everyone. Happy Day Before Thanksgiving.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  08:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning and happy baking day. It is COLD but no wind today thank God. We bottomed out at about -8 but have warmed up to 0. Got some last minute cloud cover which saved us from the -15 that was predicted. Hope all is well with everyone.

Glad everything is ok in your neck of the woods, Grace. Our winds weren't that bad but bad enough for blizzard conditions and lots of drifts. Have a safe drive to Denver.

I will keep Gary in my prayers, Monica.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  11:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving All!
My apple pie is baked and a cherry pie is in the oven. MIL is bringing pumpkin pies. This afternoon I want to get all my bread and veggies cut up for the stuffing/dressing...one less thing to do tomorrow. I baked rolls yesterday, but made the mistake of letting them eat some for supper last night. They have threatened to eat them all and force me to bake more tomorrow! So, I have the rest under lock and key! LOL!
Grace, I love how you alwasy say "weather guessers"! That's about the truth of it. It was supposed to have been warm today, but it has been windy and cold all morning. The wind seems to have let up some now, but still no sign of any of the warmth they promised us! I think it could snow, if there was anything in the clouds. It certainly looks and feels like it could.
Sheri, I hope all your company gets there safely for your dinner. Grace, be safe in your tavels. Everyone, have a wonderful day tomorrow, wherever you will be and with whoever you are sharing the day with.
God Bless.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello one and all, may God bless each and everyone of you this Thanksgiving.

We are waiting for the storm Supposed to get anywhere from 4 to 7 inches but that changes so will see what happens. Hopefully will come through tonight so kids can make it up here tomorrow. Actually making dinner and bringing it to my folks as don't want my Dad out on ice with a cast on!!!

On a break now, starting today through weekend and boy do I need it from work. Trying to be appreciative that I have a job but getting harder and harder.

Otherwise not much new, work and try to keep up around here. Take care all.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Edited by - Old Spirit on Nov 24 2010 12:24:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  2:22:20 PM  Show Profile
We put together a temporary sheep shelter this morning. It is in one of our small created breeding pastures, and, until tonight, we really haven't needed any shelter. But we are supposed to get buckets of rain overnight, so we got creative and used stuff here on the farm and built one. Started cooking at noon, and have been at it until now. Turkey is oven ready, coconut cake is done, several dozen rolls, and a couple of side dishes are finished. My MIL and I split the load, so I feel very blessed. She has crippling arthritis, so she can't lift anything heavy, so I get to do turkey and mashed potatoes and stuff.

Brenda - what an amazing life story you have! Thanks for sharing a little!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! So thankful for you all! Stay warm!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  6:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts for Gary! He is home and enjoying some cranberry bread and milk! The doctor said that everything went great!

Grace and Sheri, I hope you both stay warm! It has been very cold and windy down here in the desert today! At least inside it's nice and warm especially by the fireplace!

I think I am going to go and get my hot tea and some fiber and sit and spin for a bit!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  8:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Monica I am so glad that Gary is home, all went well and he is enjoy some good eats on the coach. I just got in from checking everyone the temp is going down quick and expected to get much lower. Lilly was very snuggly and I think they all wished me to stay but I am trying to get ahead a bit. Just finished dyeing some of Murtles incredible fiber - it is in a rippled rasberry and the sheen is off the charts. I am having to stop tonight because my fingertips are bleeding from all the wool washing early in the week and the tons of dishes last night.

Ladies, I want to wish you all the best Thanksgiving Day ever and for those who have loved one's coming in a very safe journey. I will count you all in my blessings tomorrow and the great convo's we have together. I thank you for letting me share my stories, what little I know and for the odd rants - you are all in my heart, thoughts and prayers.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page