Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  07:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Ha Lori!! I am back to work and just too tired when I get home. Checking on my mama sheep to see if she lambed and working. The working part really cramps my style
Chilly here in MN and not a whole lot new.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. I've been laying low with a cold plus fighting with the weather. We had snow and sub-zero temps for a week and now we have rain for two days. It's supposed to be back to snow by tomorrow and down in the single digits again. Crazy. Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Snowed in here this morning but that is okay.
I added some sheep pictures to my blog this week. We have been trimming hooves and de-worming before lambing season. I broke the flock into three groups and did a batch yesterday. Forgot I had all those muscles! Or perhaps lack of them?

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  11:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Marlyn, I love the purse you made! You are really a talented seamstress! What breed of sheep is in the pictures where you are parting the wool? That crimp is lovely!

Sarita - I have been combing and carding the BFL today. It is amazing! So super soft. I am thinking a pair of gloves for myself with cables running up the back of the hand..........

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  05:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Checked out your blog Marilyn. Very nice. Your craft projects are really nice too.

I started spinning alittle. I looked at some you tube videos, and am playing with a diz. Never done it before, and it sure makes spinning a breeze. I just made one using a milk cap. I am hoping to get some of my fiber spun up, before it is time to shear again!
Cold here in Wisconsin. I put some silk flowers on my kitchen table, am looking forward to spring!
Stay warm
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  05:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. Monica. I don't like being in this position...thought some of the other pros at this stuff might advise me. What is the best course to take? Share with everyone? Or guard your secrets? It's really no big secret...once I put it on my blog...it will be easy enough for anyone who wants to to figure it out!
Marilyn...loved the bag and all your other projects. Very talented. Adorable fabrics you picked out, too.
Had some snow yesterday...calling for more next week and back to frigid temps. I love snow, but I think I will enjoy spring quite nicely this year.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - been swamped with some large custom orders and sales so I have not had time to do much else. Friday it was 56 degrees so I ran to town, good food for me, feed for the animals and straw for the babies that will be arriving soon. I also got everything in line for another big cold snap and possible snow storm. I trusted you all where very busy too.

Brenda - I have written for ISBONA many times and shared projects and procedures with the publication. I do not feel that you are a bad person but when you are just getting started I know how much it means to have a niche... Do what is in you heart and that will be the best for you. For me I shared everything and at times it bit me in the you know where - people taking your words exactly and publishing them under their name, taking and purchasing my kits and just rewritting the instructions and putting their name on it to sell at the following show and the list goes on but I look at it this way while they are copying me and are ten steps behind I am coming up with new ideas and products - so let them copy - I always am ahead...

Maryln I will get over to your blog later tonight and check out all the goodies - sounds like you are doing great things...

Michele a diz is a great aid for prep and spinning - My favorite is one I purchased in Iceland - It is Icelandic Sheep Horn - smooth and what a work horse but over the holidays it has gotten legs and wondered somewhere in the house... It will show up but sure does get me saying words that should not be said..

A couple of my girls are in that grumpy mood - round bellies so big they have trouble getting up and down. When I pulled up the driveway late Friday I could see Rebecca was doing her turtle imatation - I ran to the pasture and got her back on her feet - luckly she was not that way for long our she could have died - now is the time that I do not leave for long because we are too close to kid time.. Yeah!!! Oh and did I mention my little white mink with the black tip tail has a baby.. So cute and so little - I keep trying to get a picture but it moves faster then my shutter will allow. So I will keep trying but what a cutie!!

Got to go the temp is dropping and I have loose ends to get done. Stay warm ladies I think I might treat my self to a Hot Buttered Rum tonight if I can stay awake.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  5:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Don't you hate it how work gets in the way!

Sheri, I hope you are feeling better!

Marlyn, I love your blog! I love the smocking you have done! I have a pleater and some day I am going to find the time to use it!

Brenda, I would say that you don't have to tell anyone how you make something until you are ready!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Marlyn, you have been a busy girl as usual! Love the new purse and acessaries. I will be getting my sheep wormed again too before lambing. This last wet summer was bad for worms. I have to check out which wormer to use on pregnant ewes.
Lori, I am glad that you like the wool. I love the personalities of these BFL breed. I also love the wool. Shearing is just around the corner.
Sheri, hope you are feeling better.
Brenda, I am sure you will make the right decision. I hope your blanket is coming along as planned.
We worked moving cattle all day and not ours. We had an early morning phone call from bil. He decided that he needed to move his cattle home today before the predicted snow. I was not a happy camper today. I had planned on resting and getting ready for another work week. He decided what he wanted to do but does not consider or even ask us. I had to move sheep, rearrange pens which takes about an hour, then get all the cows in and sort before loading his 40 head, 4 loads. After he is done and drives off with the last load, I am back to moving sheep and cattle, putting back up the pens, etc. So much for spinning and weaving. We recorded the football games and watched them tonight. Michele, your Packers won!
Grace, how hard is the weather hitting you? Sounds like you will be seeing babies before long.
Monica, what a terrible shooting in your state. You just don't think things like that will happen. So sad.
Ang got the nursery painted. She has so many ideas.
Stay warm and safe. Snow heading this way and everywhere else too!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

“God whispers to us in our pleasures,
speaks to us in our conscience,
but shouts in our pains;
it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

C. S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  9:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I couldn't believe it when I heard about it! It is still hard to believe! One sad thing is that a lot of people are trying to blame it on Sarah Palin and conservatives and there is a lot of mis-information including some reports that the Senator was killed!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  02:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Monica...I have heard a lot of blame going around. The only person to blame is the crazy person who did the deed. I sure hope she makes a full recovery. Just too bad about the others, especially the little 9 yr old girl.
Thanks Monica, Sarita and Grace. You were all so helpful with your encouraging words. I think the real problem is that, on one hand I really want to write the article...I just feel like I'm not ready. I mean, I haven't even finished my prototype, or even made one out of my Icelandic wool yet! I haven't even finished skirting the wool from the first shearing yet! LOL! I think I just felt a little overwhelmed by the suggestion. I want to have all the info before I plunge into something like that. Once I go through the whole process of making one, (IF the prototype works out)taking them to market and selling one or two, then I'll be able to write something with a bit of authority, if that makes sense.
We have a little bit of snow this morning. They are predicting quite a bit I hear, but don't think this is quite what they had in mind!
Lori, saw your blog. Lovely wool you have from Sarita. Enjoy your snow.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  06:47:40 AM  Show Profile
Well, we have snow on the ground and a little more coming this evening. School was cancelled, which I am glad, because I really wasn't looking forward to driving the bus on my route which is all country back roads with lots of curves and hills. It really is slick. This snow packed hard very quickly.

This is the new wheel:

It really spins smoothly. I am going to have to replace the orifice plate on the front because the wood is stress fractured, but other than that I am very happy with it. I am just being very careful with it until I can purchase a new plate.

The shooting is a terrible tragedy. I really hurt for the families that lost loved ones. I wish the media would pay more tribute to them than what I am seeing. I hate how the media seizes on one person and deems them more important than others and therefore gives them more coverage.

Grace ~ I saw on the weather channel that it is a whole one degree where you live this morning. Brrrrr. We are at 22 right now, and that is cold enough.

Take care everyone!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile
It is snowing lightly with predictions that the snow should get heavier soon. If it picks up, we go home. Tomorrow is suppose to be worse with the cold temps and blowing winds and snow drifting...we will see what tomorrow brings.
Lori, I agree with you about the shooting. It is a terrible tradegy and I hurt for all the families. Sometimes I feel like the news people aren't even honest and try to keep things stirred up like a crazy Jerry Springer show. Sensationalism!
Lori, I would call the people that make the wheel and they will probably make it right with you...they sound like they want to be known for a quality wheel and if this is a flaw in their product, they might want to know about it and get it corrected. I just love the way it spins. Very smooth.
Brenda, are you sitting by the window in your cosy home and watching the snow come down?

“God whispers to us in our pleasures,
speaks to us in our conscience,
but shouts in our pains;
it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

C. S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:30:24 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Sarita...we barely have a window to look out of, since most of them are covered in plastic! I did have Greg leave the plastic off the kitchen windows so I can at least get some afternoon sun...when there is some! It's really cold in the house... with only a single propane heater on the one wall of the living room...and it only runs for a few seconds at a time then shuts off, We have to keep the thermostat at 85 just to keep the area next to the heater at just under 70! The rest of the house is frigid! I am dressed in double layers from head-to-toe and then still have blankets over my legs when I'm sitting in my chair! I'm hoping the snow drifts up around the foundation of the house so that it will shut off the drafts that come up through the floors!
It seems only yesterday we were talking about going bra-less to try and stay cooler! Ha! Now I wouldn't go without one for money! LOL!
I sure hope we will be able to get this house remodeled before next winter. Suffering through this winter will really make me appreciate it all the more!
Stay warm.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. It's cold again here too only 8 degrees this morning and we are supposed to be even colder tonight. Wind doesn't help it either. We are supposed to have a big snow storm coming in on Tues. night that supposed to dump around a foot. I am so ready for spring.

I am so saddened that another crazy got ahold of a gun when there were red flags about his behavior ahead of time. What strikes me the most is everyone talks about it after the fact but there is nothing done before it becomes a tragedy. My heart bleeds for all the families who not only lost loved ones but those who's loved ones were injured. We tend to gloss over what it takes for someone to recover after injuries. It doesn't just effect the injured person but their whole family as well.

Hope you are staying warm, Grace and ready for the next go-round. You too, Brenda. I know what it's like to live in a house that doesn't stay warm - when we first built this place we moved in on Christmas Eve and all we had as heat was an old Radium wood stove. Cold as it was, it was so worth it to be in our house at long last.

Sarita have you recovered from all the livestock shifting? I was looking at your blog and you have some beautiful wool.

Thanks for the well wishes, Monica. I am outwearing this bug I think but still coughing at night. Just makes being out in the cold that much more challenging.

Nice wheel, Lori. I hope you can get the orifice plate without any trouble. Great Christmas gift. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, after hearing about your weather, I should just be quite, compared to you, we are in a tropical paradise. Take care and get to feeling better soon.
Brenda, you need a wood cooking stove to sit in front of. In this old farmhouse we have to put plastic on the windows. This year we went to the fabric department and got the real heavy wt plastic that is clear and put over most of the old windows and over the patio door. We also put small bales of straw around the north and west foundation. I was mortified the first year but very thankful when the wind was howling and below zero. We do have an old lp furnace that keeps us pretty warm, I will always wish for a larger kitchen and a working fireplace and a wood cooking stove to use when I want....(don't see that happening.) My sil calls our place the Windy Ridge. It does seem like we have lots of wind howling most of the time. Who knows we may turn the place into Wind Field to make electricity.
We did get out early today. Home feels mighty good. I came home and took care of choring so I could come in and put on a pot of hot tea and work with my wool. I also got some clay so I am trying my hand at hand building pottery. Tougher than it looks and I am one of those type A people so I am not satisfied unless it is smooth and looks finished. This could take me years to get a kiln load to fire. Any tips Monica and Angie?
I better go play in the wool while I have a chance.
Take care and stay warm all.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone! I couldn't agree with you all more! It's really sad the way the media handles things! At one point they were reporting that Senator Giffords had died and some were saying 14 people were hurt while others were saying 18 and then there is the whole political thing that they just have to throw in there! It seems that this guy had it in for everyone from God to the goverment and apparently he had a letter from Senator Giffords from 2007 so it may have been personally against her and not just a political thing as the media is pushing for! There is also a lot of finger pointing and it's just disgusting! I am just praying for the families that lost loved ones and for those that are recovering from such a terrible event!

Brenda, Stay warm! I am bundles up here too! This morning it was about 36 on the porch, but the air felt much colder than that!

Lori, I like your new wheel! I am glad that you got to stay home today!

Sheri, Try putting Vicks on the bottoms of your feet at night with socks on! I have done this with the kids and it worked really well for keeping their cough down!

Sarita, My only tip would be to give it time! It's kind of like when you are spinning or kneading bread dough, how you just start to get that certain feel of the material you are working with! You are very talented so I think with a bit of patience and practice you will getthe hang of the clay too! And most of all have fun with it! :)

Grace, Hope you are staying warm and well!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  5:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies from BURRRRR Colorado! Working hard to keep every safe and warm thru the last storm and tonight the temps are to go to -4 without counting my natsy windchill. I too have been placeing new plastic on the windows because no matter where and how I caulk things I still have some cold coming thru the glass. Last winter I spent days going thru the house caulking the logs and stuffing wool in all the seams around the doors and windows - that sure did change things. No more snow drifting in thru the logs - it was pretty to see but not practical. Brenda I know what it is like to wear a couple of layers to bed with a hat on - luckly I am not have to impress anyone - the goats just care how long I can sit in the barn without my teeth chattering...

Watching the stock closely with these low temps and expecting bellies. I wrote on my blog about this time of year and our National Western Stock Show.

Love the new wheel Lori - hope it gets right as rain soon. I sat and spun some last night - just needed to get centered.

Sheri I hope you will be on the mend soon - I have been coughing around for weeks but I know it is from the cleaning of the dust in the barns and the bitter cold - two combinations that throw me into a spin. Luckly if I do not speak I don't cough.

I going to get to the kitchen and plate me the dinner that has been cooking in the crock pot - Buffalo Chile on a bed of rice, Buttermilk Corn Bread and a good piece of Cheesecake with Dark Cherries. Tonight I will finish my yarn that I started last night and treat my tired bones to a hot bath and a nice hot buttered rum. After the hard work outside it is nice to be in for a couple more hours before the midnight check on the girls.

Have a warm safe night ladies

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  08:00:55 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Stay warm! It has been cold around here too! It's been in the low 30's in the morning and yesterday was very cold all day! Cheesecake with dark cherries sounds very yummy!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  08:05:19 AM  Show Profile
I can only wish for 30!!! Actually was about 14 when I left for work so pretty nice out. This next week suppose to have highs of only 2 by Duluth so we will probably be cooler. They are warmer by the lake in winter and cooler in summer.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile
Brrrr! It's about 5 this morning and the high will be around 20. We have a big time snow warning out for tonight for about 8 to 10 inches of new snow on top of all this solid ice. Then it's supposed to warm up into the high 30's and low 40's with rain so flooding could be a problem. Right now all my drains are covered with about 4 inches of solid ice. Today I have to work on the drain in front of my house or I could get water in the house when it warms up. Keep your fingers and toes crossed that I can get this ice to melt with de-icer and/or boiling water. Grrrr. I am so ready for spring. The path down to the barn is like an ice rink already.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile
You ladies be careful out on that ice! It is cold here, but near what you all are experiencing in your parts of the country!

We have one little goat, Molly, that I think will bless us in the next couple of weeks with a new addition. It will be her first, so we are watching her carefully. By my calculations, the 29th will be as late as she should go. She sure is big. We put the rams in with the sheep much later, so the first of the lambs shouldn't arrive before the 3rd week in March. This is really exciting, with it being our first crop of babies with a new kind of livestock.

We are going after the little Jersey heifer the end of this month, too. She is only 7 months old, so we will have to wait a couple of years before we see any milk, but that is okay. I would rather start with a baby who grows up knowing us, and us knowing her. My husband's best friend is also getting one, so we will have a buddy in this new adventure.

Been busy getting things finished up and pictures taken so I can start restocking the etsy shop. It had been woefully neglected through the holiday season. I plan to try a little advertising on Ravelry when I get the shop full. The rates seem very reasonable and they provide feedback on the traffic that is generated, so it should be easy to tell if it was a wise investment.

Well, got bread and muffins in the oven and I need to go prowl around and find some lunch for Stan and myself. Take care and keep warm and be careful on the ice!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  12:51:15 PM  Show Profile
You are so right, Sheri. I gladly put up with living in a refirigerator in order to live on the farm of my dreams! I know it will only get better as the years go on. I grew up in a house that was just as cold, if not colder, than this one...but I was much younger then!
Our low temps are diving into the negatives and highs in the single digits...not including wind chills. And today it is VERY windy. We did have a few minutes of sunshine, but the snow is still falling, lightly right now, but still coming down.
Sarita, we will have to look into the clear plastic if we end up needing it for next year. I'm hoping we won't, but you never know. And we have heard of the use of hay bales...we may have to do that, too, if we aren't able to remodel this year.
Grace, your dinner and dessert sound delectable! We had Sheperd's Pie and stewed apples sweetened with maple syrup last night...perfect for a chilly winter's night! And really good warmed over for lunch today, too!
Lori, you are a lucky farmgirl. And you have plenty of time to plan all the yummy things you are gonna make with all that fresh milk.
Well, my decaf mocha latte with homemade whipped cream (flavored with my homemade vanilla...yum) is waiting for me to drink it! Sending out warm thoughts to all of you.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  02:54:42 AM  Show Profile
I feel for all you ladies as you don't get the bitter cold we do, normally. Imagine it is tough as we just have lived with it so long that anything above 0 this time of year we enjoy!! There is something though about how fresh and clean that air smells, when you aren't freezing your nostrils

You all take care and keep warm.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  04:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Rea,
I know what you meean about not feeling it as much...we lived in Minot, ND in the mid 90's...and I loved it there. My brother, who lives in Georgia, wondered why we ever went out of our house...but I never remember feeling all that cold. And the fresh, crisp air...yes, I remember that too. For some reason, I think it feels colder here. Even though the temps are not near as cold as they were there.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page