grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  07:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the prayers - Nick arrived safe and sound. There was three avalanches on the way that slowed things down - road clearing, blasting and such. Luckly, Nick was the driver because his boss is horrible at it so he was worn out but arrived. Now they have a four day show, tons of appointments and hand shaking. He comes back into town Tuesday and turns right around Thursday morning. No rest for the popular.

I spent the whole day fixing fence. Seems like the two year olds all 9 of them worked on the fence dividing them from Peter - you know bad boy Peter. So when I awoke half the boys where in with Peter figthing and the other half in with Rhett fighting. So after chores I went to work fixing 300 yards of broken fence. Then I had to separate everyone again. I moved Rhett clear across the farm because he seemed to be the problem with the fights. So then I figured while fixing fence I might as well do it all. That meant hammering in 423 fence staples to repair popped lines all over the farm. After five hours of solid hammering my right arm was like a noodle. However, I am doing the happy dance because it is done and just in time before another storm today...

Off to run to the store for food before the snow and ice so everyone have a great and safe day.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  09:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Grace, So glad to hear that Nick arrived safely! I hope you arm is feeling back to normal!! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 19 2011 09:49:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  1:45:40 PM  Show Profile
I will have to get some pictures taken. I didn't do that much of the yarns. Just expiermenting. I did try dyeing yesterday. Wanted to see if I could get a brown. I also over dyed a yellow and blue yarn, that I didn't like. That turned out better. My attempts at dyeing a brown didn't work. I watched the brown all go down the drain, as I rinsed it out. Leaving a light purple. So lesson learned, buy the colors of dye I want, mixing does not work well for me! Don't know if you don't try! It might help if I knew what I was doing, also!
Grace that is alot of fencing to do in one day. I hope you rested the next day!
Won't we all be glad when winter is over. We are heading for some cold weather starting Thursday afternoon. Good luck with all the babies coming.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  2:07:47 PM  Show Profile
I went and took some pictures!
This is the core spinning I did, with fiber and the small one core wrapping.

This is some dyeing on batts, and the overdye of that ugly blue and yellow. I just used a red dye.

This is some fingerless mittens I made, and then the black I did the same pattern, but finished off as mittens. My own yarn.

This is Jack (white), and Jill (black), who so loveingly donate wool for all my projects.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  5:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh, love, love, love the pictures, Michele! Your mittens are beautiful - I love black and white marble. You certainly do have the snow, don't you?

We are expecting nasty weather here tomorrow. It isn't supposed to hit until mid-day. Joy. So that means the kiddos will be in school and they will send them home early and dear Lori, the rookie bus driver, will get to take them home waaaaaay out on hilly, curvy country roads. Can you tell I am excited? :) I have had a migraine most of the day so I am a little grumpy. Sorry.

Sarita - When is Angie due? I know, I could go back through the threads and look it up, but I am feeling lazy tonight.

I am so sorry you lost the two little ones, Rae. I hate farming on days like that.

I got another drum carder. This one is an older Louet Junior - I found it on Ravelry. It makes a nice thick roving that I can draft out to a long roving. I really like it.

Grace - you did what I need to do. Not with steeples,though. We need to get fence clips on t-posts. Several have been popped off by the cattle rubbing on the fence. Where do they go? They aren't on the ground. Mama says racoons carry them off because they are shiny.

I have been working on a lap afghan for my SIL. She has rhuematoid arthritis just like her mother, and the cold makes her hurt. It is really affecting her at work because she works in an office and can't set the temp just for herself. I will post a pic when I get more done.

Take care and keep warm.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  6:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Lori, they are saying Ang will have Evan by March 31st now because of the gestational diabetes. Ang is pretty restless...she is like a child waiting on Christmas. This baby will have very good parents that loves him bunches. I am knitting on him a blue sacque and have the little hat done. Using baby yarn and size 2 and 3 needles doesn't go very fast for me. I am even having Danny time me to see how long it takes to get around all 140 stitches and then I try to beat my record. silly me! Did I tell you all that I am a bit competative, even against myself? I broke the kids joy stick several times playing pacman...needless to say, they hated to see or rather hear me cracking the joysticks.
Well, my check is in the mail to the processor to get my yarn and rovings. After 8 months, I have lost my thrill...I'll probably get it back when I see my girl's wool all spun up.
Lori, I had looked at a Louet drum carder and really liked it. How does it work on the wool you got from me? I would really like one of the large motorized drum carders, probably just dreaming.
The weather people predicted that our snow could start falling at 3pm but it was closer to 7:30 and I don't think we will get much. I think we will get more out of the one predicted for friday.
Sheri, how is your weather? Are you having the flooding?
Queenie, makes me laugh. We were feeding hay and I would scoot her out of the way and she would jump sideways and throw fits. She gets in the snow drifts and jumps straight up and looks like pop corn popping. I can be busy and hear her and when I call her name, she comes running. She has wool that is now dragging the ground, of course she is very short to start out.
Michele, I think your yarn and colors turned out nice. I really like those mittens, they look so warm. Michele, I had to experiment several times on dyeing. Don't give up. Your colors look good to me. I started using a color wheel and I found out that if I used too many colors and let them run together, they get muddy. Also, don't use too much liquid if you are painting, just let them slightly overlap and I use sponge brushes most of the time. Just keep working at it, have fun, relax and find out what works best for you. I have over dyed several skeins of yarn in my time and I am sure I will overdye several more. Looks like you are going to have lots of wool to play with at shearing time.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Jan 20 2011 05:43:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  9:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I LOVE all of your pictures!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  03:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Michele, love all your stuff. The mittens are very nice.
Grace, we never stop having concern for our kids, do we? No matter how old they get.
Well, as per Sarita's suggestion and encouragement from a few others, I submitted my boot story to MaryJane's magazine. Now the waiting begins! It is kinda scary putting yourself "out there", isn't it?
I finished my saddle blanket/pad yesterday. Today will be the day of truth....How will it felt up? I need to take my "before" pictures this morning before it goes into the machine. For being made with left-over bits of yarn, it actually looks pretty neat. Watch, it will end up being my forever favorite! I doubt I'll ever be able to reproduce it exactly!
Started on a knitting project now. I have some lovely Peruvian yarn I bought a few years ago to make myself something special. I guess I'll make a neck scarf and head band/ear warmer...like the skiers wear.
We only got an inch or two on top of what we had left. Where's all the snow we were promised? Sarita, it looks like you all were getting more down there than we did.
I don't know why but this has been a long week for me. It just seems to be dragging along.
Have a good weekend all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Yippee! My white peach silk thread is in an etsy treasury today and I had a sale!! http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4d38728c3c2c8eef1767ccba/crazy-4u

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 20 2011 10:06:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Monica, how exciting! Congrats!
Okay, ladies, my saddle blanket is done and pictures are on the blog. It did not come out perfectly perfect, but that's okay. I am pretty sure I am on the right track.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I think the blanket came out really cool!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Another snow storm. I have to say I am really tired of winter.....It will slow down the flooding issues along the creeks and rivers though. We aren't close enough to any creeks to have any flooding issues and I have been pretty lucky to have the run off not bother the house or shop. I had to work at getting the drains defrosted to prevent it which was a real chore but worked and diverted any potential issues.

Michele your yarn and mittens are lovely. I haven't done much dying but am finally getting to spin some aqua colored that I dyed last fall. How exciting to get another drum carder, Lori. I would really like to have one but the finances haven't allowed it yet so for now I will just have to make do with my combs and carders.

How is your arm doing today, Grace? I am glad to hear that Nick made it to his destination ok. Are you getting more snow/wind today too?

Congrats on your treasury listing and sale, Monica. You do such beautiful work.

Today I am starting to cut veneer for a new box - a jewelry box this time up-cycled from a wooden cigar box. I am so excited to finally get to do some work again. I don't care how much snow we get, I am cutting veneer today. I have put my art on hold for months over weather issues. I don't know about the rest of you but I need that creative flow going or I get just so "disconnected" and tired. I hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  06:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I think we will get the left overs from your storm. It appears to come right at you and then dips down on us. Just glad that you are not in the flooding. Can't wait to see your new boxes this year.
Brenda, we got 4 inches of snow and it sounds like we will get some more light stuff.
Congratulation on your treasury listing and sale, Monica.
Grace have you recouped from the fencing? Any babies?
Rae, any more babies? I figured with the one ewe trying to claim the others that she would lamb anytime.
If the temps aren't too bad this week end, I will begin putting up birthing jugs and getting the heat lamps hung and all the birthing prep done. If I start this weekend then I have all of Feb to finish. I notice that I have 2 ewes that new a pedicure...I dislike trimming hooves, I hurt the next day.
Lori, did the storm hit you hard yesterday? I would hate to drive a bus on the ice on those roads down there.
My yarn will be here next week. I mixed up dyes last night and took pieces of wool and thinking about combinations. I also did a cost break down. When I figure in the feed, medicine, hay, vet supplies, but no time, minus the sale of lambs plus shearing, postage and then the processing...I have some very expensive yarn...I might be getting the new large motorized drum carder after all. I worked up a fleece yesterday, stood at the drum carder all afternoon and up till 9:30 last night.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  11:51:00 AM  Show Profile
It did snow down here yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't start until 9 in the morning, so school couldn't be called and the kiddos went. They sent them home at noon, but the weirdest thing...the roads were wet, slushy in fact, and it was 26 degrees, but they didn't freeze! The Lord really was watching out for us! It wasn't any worse than a rainy day.

Woo-Hoo Monica! Congratulations!!! Such a wonderful feeling. You do beautiful work - you deserve to be in a treasury!

We are still waiting for Molly to have her little goat baby. At the first of the week I told Stan there was no way she could hold it in until Friday. Well, it's Friday. Amazing.

I went grocery shopping this morning and scored some marked down meat! Most of it was in bulk packages, so I spent the rest of the morning repacking and freezing. I am ready for that steer in the pasture to finish off so we can have our own fresh beef. We are going after the Jersey heifer Sunday. Stan said he may get two. No one around here raises them and lots of people have told hime that they would like to have one. Great. Instead of cow "tipping" we may get known for cow "flipping"!

Sheri - When I was working I got so down in the dumps that I gave up crafting for a while. It was a very sad time. I read a book by Thomas Kinkade about how important it is to be creative everyday for him. Honestly, I only picked it off the library shelf because it had such pretty paintings of his. It was a lovely book and turned my life back to my crafting. I hadn't realized how much I needed that. I totally understand!

Take care and keep warm. My fingers are freezing while I type. I haven't been home enough today to keep the wood stove going, so it is chilly in here.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  1:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Well.... we had -34 this morning so a bit chilly but the good news Sally has held off and not had her babies!!!! Not getting above 0 today so not spending too much time outside.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  9:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Do stay warm!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  12:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Tad warmer tonight and Sally is holding out. After Sat now supposed to start warming up into teens and 20's so if she can continue to hold on will be good for her and babies!!! None yet at 2:30 a.m.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  04:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Rae you were colder then us, we had minus 26. A heat wave! Glad no babies for you in that cold.
Good luck with the jersey heifer Lori. They are such sweeties.
Sarita, hope your expenses don't add up to be too much. Just enjoying what you do makes it all worth it.....right? :) Brenda the blanket is great. It must of weighed a ton when wet!
Sheri,it is almost the end of January, maybe we will all have a short winter!
Hi Monica!
I made some nice yarn last night. I had blended a tiny bit of black, in my white wool, and got it spun now. It is almost a ragg wool color, I really like how it turned out. I used a diz, and made roving. That is a dream to spin. I am so glad your ladies introduced me to the diz. Thanks. Pictures to follow at a later date.
Good luck with the babies
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  05:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Rea, isn't it scary having babies in this freezing cold? It's not near as cold here (-6 yesterday) but I have found myself really happy that our babies won't come until spring.
Thanks, Michele, yes, it's pretty heavy wet! But the great thing is, these will be machine washable.
Sarita, thanks for the tip (I read it on the blog)...I am going to try that and see how it works.
We had more snow yesterday...fine, but lasted pretty much all day long. It is getting hard to tell how much is the new stuff on top! It's very powdery, too.
Happy Saturday!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  07:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. I don't envy you gals with the arctic blast. We have had our share of it this year and then some too. At least it's warming up again here for a few days anyway. I hope your ewe holds off until the temps moderate, Rae.

How exciting to be getting a Jersey heifer, Lori. I love Jersey's as they are so sweet and the cream is to die for. My Grandfather had a dairy and raised only Jersey's. They had a farmer's co-op called the Orland Cheese and Butter co-op in CA back in the 30's and 40's. My Dad used to say that the only way he would eat "mush" was with Jersey cream on it - he said it was so thick it would stand up on a spoon!

Brenda your blanket looks great. How is your wool picking going? Have you tried spinning any yet?

I have 4 skeins of lace weight hanging here by the pellet stove to dry - it took forever to ply! I didn't think I would ever get it finished. Now I am spinning some that I dyed last fall. It's the first dying that I've done so it's kinda neat to see color on the wheel. I'm back to cutting veneer and it's going well. It takes me awhile to get back into the swing of it after a break from it. I will post a picture when it's finished.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Grace. You too, Monica.

Sarita I hope your yarn and roving was worth the wait. You'll have to post some pics so we can see how it came out.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile
I would love your opinion on this batt! I am in a contest of Ravelry to win a bench picker!!!! There are 3 categories and the winner will be picked from the the finalist of each category!! I am praying that I win! Here are the rest of the batts if you want to see them http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/fancy-kitty-lovers/1491337/1-25#13

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  11:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all on the treasury! It's always nice to be picked to be in one especially when it's someone you don't know because then you know they really like your product!

Sarita, What kind of carder are you going to get? I would love to get a motor for mine! I will have to ask Gary if he could attach a motor to mine! I have an old serger that doesn't work at all that he could use the motor from!

Sheri, You will have to post pics!!! You see we really need to start a commune!!! You could come over and use my carder and yarn winder!!!!:) I don't think I would fare well with out my crafts! there is something so calming about spinning yarn or knitting or working on crafts in general! Knitting is supposed to actually help lower your blood pressure!

Lori, That is cool to have fresh meat! I started buying whole cuts at the market and grinding up myself and it's so much better! I kind of got freaked out after I bought some hamburger at the market and it said it was from New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the U.S.!! I would at least like my meat to come from one country if not just one cow!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 22 2011 11:03:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  2:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sheri. No, I haven't started spinning yet...still don't have wheel. I think I know the one I want...just waiting for the cash to buy it! I am working on some other projects right now. I still have four fleeces to finish cleaning, but I just had to take a little break. Hopefully I'll get them done before we shear again (April?)
Still waiting for the shearer to let me pin him down! I think, too, I am being too picky and get every little fleck of VM out of them! It is probably making it take much longer than it needs to.
Very nice rovings, Monica. Congrats again on the honor. You do great work, so it is well-deserved.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  3:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Glad to hear that it is warmer!!

Brenda, Thank you! We REALLY need to have our commune!! I would give you a wheel if I had them from my mom!

Michele, Can't wait to see pics of the yarn!!:)

Hope everyone stays warm and has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
I am a new farmgirl sister. I currently have a handfull of boer goats and am considering sell these and replacing them with angora goats which has always been my lifes dream. I don't know what has kept me from it, as I have owned several different kinds of animals over the years. I would also like to know how profitable this endevor would be. I don't need to make alot of money. I would just like them to pay for themselves and maybe have alittle spending money. We have a small acreage,(5 acres) and also have 4 horses so grazing is very limited.
Looking forward to sharing advice and meeting other farmgirls!!!!
Modjeska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page