Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  08:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard, Lisa. I'm your neighbor...over here in Missouri. I did live in Wichia at one time, though.
I think most of the women here would tell you to go for your dreams!
I can't give you specifics about the goats (I raise Icelandic sheep), but I know there are one or two ladies on here who will be able to do that very well. These ladies are a plethora of information, and lots of fun to boot!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  09:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Lisa and Welcome to our thread. I have been raising Angora, Cashmere, Cashgora Goats along with Alpaca, Llamas, Icelandic Sheep and Southdown Sheep for 14 years now and all of my income is from those animals and their fiber... I will gladly answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability and share other information sites that might get you started on your new adventure. You can easily send me an email off site to get into the specific's of your needs.

I am excited for your new adventure and again welcome to the thread.
Blessings

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Lisa, I am also a neighbor in Missouri about another hour east of Brenda. I can't help you with goats, I raise sheep. I hope you are able to follow your dreams. Good luck.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  10:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, Welcome!! I don't have any animals so I am not much help in that department, but it's great to have you here!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  10:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lisa! Glad you are here! You will find these ladies to be some of the kindest you have ever met. I only joined a year ago after purchasing my first sheep. (snicker, snicker...I didn't stop there!) They have been so much help and support!

We got two calves instead of one yesterday (typical of the Browns, huh?) We got a pretty little classic looking full blood Jersey and a 3/4 Jersey 1/4 milking shorthorn. If she was a boy I would have named her Bear. She is black with brown around her nose, inside her ears and under her belly. I think their names will be Daisy and Elsie. I think. I will post a pic as soon as possible.

I have the youngest one, Avery, home from school today. He has been croupy coughing for a couple of days and not sleeping well at night. I know the flu has hit the schools here hard, so I just kept him home. He has dark circles under his eyes cause he is so tired.

Mollygoat is STILL pregnant. I am sure sweet Angie can sypathize! Avery said maybe we ought to squeeze her and see if it helps. Such a little joker......

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  10:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Lisa. It's always nice to have someone new join us.

Lori you just crack me up girl. Two calves? I know how it goes as I have never gotten just one of anything. Looking forward to seeing pics. Hope Avery feels better soon.

Hope all is well with everyone and the weather isn't getting anyone down. We are having freezing rain right now. I was going to go to town for chicken feed but I think I will wait until tomorrow...My son and DIL are coming over this afternoon with new ultra sound pics of the baby. I am excited to see them as I haven't seen them since Christmas due to colds, and weather issues.

A death in the family yesterday, my son in law's father died of a massive heart attack with no warning. He just keeled over in his chair and that was that. His whole family is just bowled over with the suddeness of it all. My heart goes out to them.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile
Lori, you are doubly blessed!
What is it about animals that we always end up getting more of them than we planned? We are coming up on our first year here on the farm (end of March). The original plan was..."NO animals for the first year" except maybe some barn cats and a dog or two. But, here we are, we already have 6 sheep, a horse, a donkey, three dogs, 30 chickens...plus an assortment of barn cats. AND should be picking up two more pregnant (hopefully) ewes within the next few weeks!
Sheri, so sorry about your son in law's family. I hope they will find comfort for their pain. My dad died suddenly, unexpectedly, and my mom dies from a long battle with cancer. I still don't know which is harder. I guess they are both hard in their own way, just different.
Sarita, I steam ironed the saddle pad. I think it did help some. It is just so thick! The top part looks flatter than it did, anyway. Thanks again for the tip.
Monica, you are a doll. I wish we could have a commune! Just think of all the trouble (oops, I meant fun) we could get into! LOL! And we could eat cake! Lots of cake!
We got about 6 or 7 inches of snow and church was cancelled yesterday. Our one day of the week that we leave the farm and get into town (45 min away)...cabin fever feels a lot stronger today! And I am coming down with the crud that my husband has had the past few weeks. Ugh!
At least the sun is trying to shine today.
Have a good week, everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Sheepy friends, I found this site on youtube and I have watched it several times. I can relate to Fran Winmore, can you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1IeBDRI60&feature=related

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:16:16 PM  Show Profile
I also like to go to this site... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qb_fL4PcyA&feature=related

The first lady has a picker and a loom just like mine. My heart warms when she calls her sheep and the picture of her sweet sheep. She knows that she marches to the beat of a different drummer...does anyone feel this way?
The second video also hits home with me. I just want to go and stay a day or two with both of these two sweet ladies.

Sheri, so sorry about the death of a loved one. I hope you are feeling better and your weather will turn nice for a time.
Lori, hope your son feels better soon, you too. I would love to have your milk cows. 2 of them...after all cows are herd animals just like sheep need a flock...wink..wink, I am very happy for you. You have to take some pictures of your new cows and when you baby goat comes.

Brenda, hope your hubby is feeling better. That curd is everywhere. We are getting homebound fever too. The roads were slick and snow covered on Saturday morning when we took our neighbor to Brookfield to pick up his truck at the mechanics. We were thrilled to be back home and our truck back in the garage. We didn't have school today. I cleaned today. As small as this house is if someone puts their toothpick in sideways, it looks a mess but for now it is looking better than it did this morning.

Monica, are you busy spinning for yarn? When will you know if you have won the picker? I am praying for you.

I am getting excited to see how my girl's wool spun up...hope the mailman delivers my order before Friday. Danny is having some test done in Columbia Mo this coming Friday and I will take the baby's gown to knit on but it would be nice to have a pair of socks started while I sit in the waiting room. He has to drink that go litely gal of yuck on Thursday night and no food all day Thursday, just clear liquid and then we will make the 2 hr trip, which could be more like 3 hrs with the bathroom stops...I'm telling you all this is not going to be fun.

Rae, any babies yet? Do you have the heat lamps hung and ready?

Brenda, are getting more icelandic ewes?

Hope you like the youtube videos.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Okay, here is the picture of the girls:

Brenda, I so totally get where you are coming from about the animals. At Christmas last year we only had our small herd of beef cows and 5 dogs. Now we are up to our ears in animals. And feed just went up AGAIN. We are seriously considering growing some of our own feed next year.

So sorry to hear about the loss of a family member, Sheri. I hurt to see families suffering.

Sarita, hope Danny's test goes well. Think of all the quality time you will have together on this trip! And, yes, I really feel like I am alone in this venture in our area. I have stopped talking about our farming adventures totally with one friend because she wouldn't stop giggling. I guess that is why I love this group. You ladies get it.

Gotta go get cornbread in the oven. Take care!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:02:35 PM  Show Profile
They are ADORABLE, Lori! Oh, I am just melting over them! I can't say it loud enough..."AWWWWWW"!

Yes, Sarita, two more Icelandic ewes...one black and one that grey brown (Moorit)...the black bred to a black ram and the Moorit bred to an all white ram. I can't wait to see what comes out!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Loved the videos, too, Sarita. Thanks for sharing them.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Lori, the calves are so cute! I would love to have a cow but probably not practical for just Danny and me with the price of feed.

Brenda, you will have several colors of icelandics and especially after lambing. Lori, your flock could double in numbers after the lambs get here.

Sheri, how is the box coming?

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Lori the calves are adorable!! I want some....but not feasible with just me here to take care of everything. I do miss the cows and their sweet kisses.

The box is coming along but taking longer than I'd hoped. I have the sides done and am finally starting on the lid - an art noveau style dragonfly pattern. I will post a pic when it's finished.

The kids just left and I got to see 3-D ultrasound pics of my grandson. What a cutiepie. I am excited. Guess I'm gonna have to crawl into the crawl space and drag out the trunk that has all the hand made baby things that I'd saved from when the kids were little. I have a cradle that my Dad built for my kids that they can have. His name will be Adyon James Gardner Chin.

Hope Danny's test isn't for anything too serious, Sarita. I will keep him in my prayers for a good outcome.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  07:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

Sarita I am keeping my fingers crossed that Danny's tests all turned out O.K. That is a hard trip but I am sure well worth it.

Lori - the calves are incredible and you just want to grab their sweet faces and kiss those wet noses. You sure will have some adventure ahead.

Sheri - I was so sad to read of your loss - it is never easy but when it is so sudden you sit and think about what you wished you might have said or done had you known that would be the last time you see that person. Take care of yourself and family during this time - my heart and prayers are with you.

Bredna - congrat's on the new ewes. One of the best parts of Icelandic Sheep I feel and the reason I raised them is because of the endless color patterns and the excitement of planning your breeding program to produce those rare colorways. Do you do much with the genetic mapping??? I found it fasinating and sharpens your skills as a breeder.

Monica did you hear back about the contest??

It was a great and busy weekend here. My DIL and Reese came out for the day on Saturday - had a great time. Nick is heading home today but will be right back on the road again Wednesday. I am on the two hour barn watches hoping that soon a baby our two will make their appearence. Ebony is very uncomfortable and I have been rubbing oils on the front leg joints - boy I need some too. Received three custom orders this weekend which gives my purse strings something to smile about. Etsy sales has picked up quickly which again is wonderful because feed bills can add up fast around here. I have some shetland fleece coming this week and can not wait to get my fingers going on that.

You may have noticed I posted a thread for fiber breeders - I was getting several private emails saying folks needed help but felt like our present thread was too long to get thru so they gave up. Please know I love our convo's but just want to make sure we are not losing folks who need help or wish to expand their present operations.

Have a wonderful day ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  08:42:53 AM  Show Profile
Round 2 Sally had triplets a couple hours ago, one died one is up and moving with Mom and #3 is here with this Mom and we are a working. Warming it up (haven't even checked what they are yet) and so forth and so on. yippeee a neighbor raised sheep as a kid so gave some advice and he is home today
Say a prayer!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Come on babies - live!!!!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  11:18:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes, please live, little ones. All the best, Rae. Prayers for you all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Whirled
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Jennifer
Wamego KS
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  11:25:24 AM  Show Profile
I am new and I thought I would jump in and say "hello". I have s small farm with sheep, angora goats, horses, chickens and Angora rabbits. We are about to have our fist "kindle" of baby bunnies and it's all very exciting!

I am also very excited to be a part of the Farm Girl Sisterhood and to have found such a great chat board!

So, hello everyone!

Jennifer

http://thewickedstitch.typepad.com/a_whirled_yarn/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  12:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer!

Well brought the little guy out, he slept, ate, slept and got up and walked around and around. Mom is pushing him to feed and he is looking out there so will check again soon. Not quite as strong as the other one but she is taking care of him. Have to find out what that other one is, so busy getting them cleaned and warmed up never checked At least it is warmer here today and supposed to be through Sat so good time to be born.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  1:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jennifer. This is a fun thread to be part of.

Rae...good news!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Sally was feeding him!!! She has fed both so please keep my lambies in your prayers

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I am so sorry to hear about you son-in-law's dad! How terrible! I will be praying for them!

Brenda, We could have lots of fun and cake too!!:)

Sarita, There are two more rounds for the picker. One winner will be picked from the winner of each category. Hopefully I will win one of the rounds! The next batt is due Friday and then the last one the following Friday.

Lori, I love the pics! What cuties!!

Grace, I didn't win the first round, but there are two more to go!

Well, There is some very interesting news on the house front! I went to check the mail and send out an order and when I got home, Gary said that Steve had stopped by!!!! Apparently Steve feels that Gary is screwing him over and wants to talk next week about paying Gary for the work he has done and being done with it! Steve said that he does not want to put one more dime into the house. Before all of this happened Gary ran into Steve and Jim( the electrician) at the house and Steve was saying about the wiring being messed up and Gary said that it all worked when he left and that the guy Steve had come in after him had undone a bunch of the wiring( which is true) and Steve's response to that was "That's Enough" once again completely looking down on him!!! I don't have any idea why Steve thinks Gary is screwing him over and it could not be further from the truth! I really had a feeling towards the end, that we were not going to be moving in and now it's for sure! I would ask all of you to please seriously pray that Steve will fairly pay Gary for the hours he has in the house. We would not at all put it past him to try and pay Gary only a fraction of what is due! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  5:40:28 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I am overwhelmed by all the greetings and words of encouragement. Thank you eveyone. This is my first chatroom experience and it took me awhile to find my way back. Iam still researching angoras, and am looking for a spinning class. Imay start with one or 2 and see how I like it. I love my boer does. they should be delivering kids any time. Looking forward to getting to know evryone.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on the new lambs, Rae. I am glad to hear that she is feeding them okay. I will definately keep them in my prayers.

Hello, Jennifer and Lisa. So glad to have some new farmgirls here.

Monica so sorry to hear about the house situation. I don't know why, but these things tend to go that way for some reason. I hope that Steve is fair with Gary. How does all of this work out with the work situation with him being his boss? It must make things tense.

Snow came off the barn roof again today and I need to dig it out again. I am so tired of this. The sheep managed to climb over the pile into their feed so at least they can get in there. Come on spring....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page