Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  04:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Brenda and Sarita please be careful. One thing I like about my one room cabin during winter storms, we heat with wood so are good. I have a couple kerosene lamps as well.

Will keep you both and animals in prayers!! Keep us posted.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Brenda and Sarita - keep the fire going! We may wind up with some snow and ice starting Tuesday during the day (of course, beings how much fun I had driving a bus in it last time), but we won't get anything as heavy as you ladies. I love our WonderWood stove. We can heat the whole house with it and cook on it. Stan cut up a pile of firewood this weekend to get ahead of the storm.

We are STILL waiting on goat babies. I had written down in my book that the 29th would be the latest possible day. I hope she goes before the weather sets in. One I wasn't expecting to go soon, Tawny -who is wild as a march hare-is acting "funny" this morning, so today may be her day.

I have had the middle son home since Thursday afternoon. Nothing but a fever and sore throat, which is enough - he is miserable - but he is being a good child and sharing his germs with others, so I am going down that road now too. I just came from Walgreens where I stocked up on Tylenol and sore throat drops.

Wind is blowing and the calves are hollering for breakfast, so I better bundle up and head out for morning chores.

Stay warm!!!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  07:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Lori, everyone is going to give birth as soon as the storm sets in...sure thing. Take care of the throat.
I am sitting here at school, they have announced that we will get out at 11:30 today, the windows has rain on them now...have I ever said that I hate to drive in the ice? Danny decided that he would bring me to work and he would come back and get me. I know that I will run in, change clothes and go load up the feeders for all the animals, help Danny carry wood into the wood shop and fill big jugs with water...it has been years since I have seen a storm like the one we have predicted for us. I have kerosine lamps, all kind of candles, plenty of food, so I think we can weather through it. I am having 2nd thoughts about the cattle...I think I will bring their hay and them into the barn lot and when it gets bad, I could move them into the barn.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  07:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Sarita and Brenda, stay safe. I hope your weather isn't as bad as predicted.

We are in the clear but in a deep freeze - supposed to be 0 tonight and in the low 20's today. We were supposed to get snow yesterday but it didn't pan out. I am so grateful. I am really tired of moving snow.

Lori I hope your son is feeling better. Hopefully your goats will hold off until the storm passes. Be careful driving on the ice.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  09:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like we are all going to get hit with this one. The ice started at 4 am here and I was out trying to beat it. I got everyone extra feed and warm water to fill their bellies because they are saying we will hit -15 today and getting worse. I had my computer do something horrible this weekend and was planning to take it in but when I listen to the news and there was already 3 dozen accidents before 5 am I decided it is best to just wait this out. I only get to be on the computer a short time befor it shuts itself down. I guess that is good news because I have been getting things done around here that I have kept saying I did not have time to get to.. Last night I painted the livingroom windows and put up the new plastic. Today I will be hanging the new insulated curtains - just in time.

I hope everyone does well thru this storm and that all our girls keep their legs crossed - it is just too cold to have little ones appearing. I was wondering if you all add something to the water during this bitter cold to make sure they drink?? I am giving warm Electrolites with a bit of raw sugar. I popped popcorn this morning for the hens for them to scratch around for in the coop and make hot porrage for them. The dogs got hot cooked ham and also porrage. Got to keep their tummies warm..

Stay warm and safe ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  10:06:29 AM  Show Profile
UGH! Went down to feed this morning and heard a faint bleet. My doe had deliverd triplets eary this am. One was already dead, one barely alive and one must have been born minutes earlier. My plan was to move her into the kidding stall this morning. I was obviously too late. She has shealter where she was but delivered outside. Needless to say only 1 has survived. I milked the doe and we have warmed up the little girl and are about to try to feed her. I feel soooo bad about the other 2 wish I had done things differently. They were both billies and pretty big for triplets, I bet about 9 pounds each. Now I need some advice; once this little doe is stable and fed should I keep her inside tonight or put her with her mama. The stall does have a heat lamp and of course is full of straw. that storm is coming in tonight and the low is suppose to be 7. Why do goats have such poor timing?
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:48:05 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I emailed you. I hope your doe and kid are ok. I am so sorry you lost the 2 bucklings. Things like this happen and it's not your fault. Let us know how the doeling is.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  1:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice Kris. The little doeling seems to be doing well. I found a dog sweater that should fit her. I'm going to take her back down now.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  2:08:03 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you have it under control. The sweater will keep her from chilling. And the mamma will keep her warm with the warm milk too and the heat lamp. Good luck. I'm sure she will be fine. Keep us posted on her progress. i love baby goats. Mine are due in April.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  2:25:24 PM  Show Profile
April would be sooo much better. I'll shoot for that next time. I wish I knew how to post a pic. She looks pretty darn cute in the pink sweater. It's on my FB.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, sorry about the lost of the two babies. I have shut up ewes that looked like they would lamb anytime and others that looked like it would be a couple of weeks and of course the others lambed outside the jugs and the moms shut up took a day or two. I bet the little one does look cute in her sweater.

This storm is going to hit so many...stay safe everyone...one of the weather models is saying our area might not be in the highest snow fall now, still giving 8 inches plus and blizzard conditions. No school tomorrow and probably the next day. We will be going to school until July. (can't be helped, don't fool with mother nature.)

Grace, I clean out the ice box and warm up left overs for the old coon hound, Noman during the terrible cold days. He also sleeps in a box of wool in the garage. He got a fleece of a ewe that was sick and had breaks in her fleece. It must be soft and warm because he loves his bed. He is an old fellow, about 13 yrs old.

Sheri, you have already had your share of bad weather, I am glad that it went easy on you yesterday.

Lori, I hope that you don't have to drive in this stuff. Hope your throat is better.

Grace, I have thought many times that I should stay off the computer and get more done around here but I now try to wait till evening after chores and supper to get on it...how did we ever live without it? Sorry that you are having problems. I got a new lap top a year ago and I get so frustrated sometimes, the cursor jumps off to who knows where at times. I must be hitting a key or the mousepad and sometimes, my whole thing I have typed, just disappears. The air gets blue at times.

I can't tell you all how thankful that I am that I am not in the middle of lambing and I feel sorry for so of you that are...

I have to watch a new show that I really enjoy, Harry's Law. Hot tea is brewing, knitting by my chair and my lap blanket is ready....be safe and warm.

I am knitting a pair of stuffed mittens for me from the new yarn. I will try to put a picture of them on my blog.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  8:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Not lambing here either but it is cold (-8F) and we are to start getting the snow storm tonight. the worst being tomorrow night. We are behind you this time Sarita. I am hoping by lambing time in two weeks this horrible weather will be over with, but experience tells me it will be colder then. Our cattle are in the barn and will be for a few days I suspect. they won't like it but it safer for them.

February tomorrow!

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  03:17:02 AM  Show Profile
Stay safe! We are only getting a little chilly weather and wind chill but this is MN and no big deal. So glad Sally had babies last week as a week old now with this colder stuff. Basil was born a year ago yesterday and it was the darn coldest night and day we had!!!
That is one HUGE storm!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  04:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Stay warm everyone! Sounds like most will be getting that bad storm. We are not expecting much. Maybe an inch. Staying well to the south. I agree with Rae~no big deal! :) Good luck with the babies.
Feed store run today. Hopeing to be able to get a rubber o ring for my sewing machine at a repair shop. Will call first. I get all ready to sit down and sew, and it is making funny noises. I did take it all apart, cleaned and oiled her up. So should be all set to go, if I can get it.

This is a hat I made for myself. I love the color I got by blending a little bit of black fleece in with my white. I did end up one row short, on the hat, ran out of yarn. I figured I would never match the color, but it works. I plan on going back to the carder with some of my batts, and make some more. Then get it all spun up!
Stay safe everyone
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  07:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Cute hat Michele!! I can't wait until I someday use my own yarn. I kept a bit from last year and washed and need to finish cleaning and use my spindle to spin

Take care all!!!

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  07:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - it hit -34 early this morning and they are saying it is going to be even colder today and tonight. I have not been to bed yet - carting out hot water, getting folks up to check their legs and such, watching the girls very closely incase they go into labor - sure got more then my share of exercise. Had to carry in Kasha at 2 am because she just was too silly and want to stay her post but she is past 10 years old and I just could not risk it. Already had three accidents in the shop but at least I know her plumbing is working. Made oatmeal and cream along with her favorite scrambled eggs this morning at 4 am now it is my turn for food and a hot drink.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Lisa - I am sure Kris gave you all the important information and please keep us posted. A sweater will do wonders and just watch closely that you have not having any frost bite on ears, tails or foot pads.

Great Hat Michael. I too LOVE that show and watched it while I was putting up more plastic on windows and caulking any breeze I felt - one thing about this weather it sure aids in finding those little gaps.

Well, got to pull orders and get them ready to ship - not sure if the postman will come and my truck is not wishing to start so I will have to chance it and do the long walk to the box and keep my fingers crossed that it goes out. One nice thing about this cold weather is it keeps folks inside and I guess on the computer buying things - YEA!

Stay safe and warm as much as you can today. Hope to stop back in later.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  07:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, we are getting hit with it now. Thankfully we can stay in for the most part. Greg got everybody's accomodations ready yesterday, so all should be able to weather the storm just fine.
I always hate to hear about the loss of animals. Sorry about the little lambs.
Love the hat, Michele. I wish I could find my spindle...then I might be able to start working up at least a little bit of my yarn.
Sarita, are you getting this junk yet? Sure is windy.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  09:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, So sorry to hear that you lost two of the babies! If you want I can copy the face book pic to here! What is your name on face book?

Sarita, I hope you are better soon!

I hope that everyone stays warm and safe today! We don't generally get any snow, but it's about 40 outside right now which is a bit cold for here! My mom in Ohio is getting a bunch of snow and most of the schools are canceled, in fact my sister just started a new hob and Akron U and she has the day off work too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice and wishes. I did put the liite doe back with her mama yesterday and checked on her evry hour until I went to bed. I had to bring her back in the morning as she seems very weak and was not really standing on her own. the vet said to keep her in and bottle feed her until she is stronger. It is 9 degrees here and much lower with the wing chill. I think she will make it, but it's going to take some work.
Monica that would be great, my FB is Lisa Logan and I'm in Salina KS.
Michelle, love your hat!!
Grace thanks for all you help and support.
Hope everyone does ok in this terrible weather.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I am sorry but I can't figure out which Lisa is you on face book! Click on the link to my face book and send me a friend request so that I can find you! You seem to have a very popular name!!:) http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000350255046

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  5:02:12 PM  Show Profile
This is a pic of Lisa's new addition!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh, How sweet. Love the sweater!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  5:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope all of the girls are well! Give Kasha a hug for me!!:) I do hope you have gotten some sleep!

Michele, The hat looks great!

Brenda, Do stay warm and safe!

Sarita, We watched Harry's Law last night too! I generally watch Castle on Monday nights but it was a repeat!

I am praying for you all that you are all cozy and warm! Stay safe!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 01 2011 5:56:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  6:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Every little girl needs a sweet sweater like that one. I will be keeping the little girl in my prayers and thoughts tonight - do you have any pedialite?? I give that in the milk for my babies and they seem to thrive and never get scoures... Putting the little on in a laundry basket with towels and a hot water bottle will keep that tummy active and again will help in keeping her from get scoures.

Well, it is -40 here at the farm and so far so good. This is the time that we sure earn our keep. They are tempting us with maybe 40 degrees by Saturday. Even after starting the truck every two hours that good old boy has decided it is even too cold for him. No place I need or want to go but just would have like it just in case.

Monica I know you are have cold weather so just don't tell Gary what it is here or he will never let you come for a visit.

Being keeping the dyepots going while I am in the house - helps in keeping Kasha and I warm and still getting work done even with the two our checks. Had some great news that I thought I might share - got a email from one of the writers from "Wild Fibers" and they might be interested in doing an article on the farm and my years in fiber.. I am so excited and honored - I guess they have read a couple of the articles that have been written about us and thought it might of interest to others... with the organic management become not such a weird thing to do as when I first started. Just the thing I needed today when I was feeling so dead tired.

Well, back outside I go and hopeing those girls keep their leggs crossed tonight it is too darn cold for anything to go right.
Stay Safe and Warm

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Right now it's 35 and very cold and windy outside! I am just hoping he is not watching all of the weather reports on the news for Ohio or I will never get him there! I just talked to my mom and they are having freezing rain! That is so very awesome to hear from Wild Fibers!! If they do an article about you, you will have to let us know what issue! I love that magazine! Stay warm and safe!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page