modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  8:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica for posting the pic. She is pretty darn cute!
Grace, I don't have pedilyte but if i can get out tomorrow I will get some. She is eating ok peeing and pooping, but still kind of quite. Glad she is inside tonight as it is -15.
Hope everyone stays warm and safe.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  8:49:13 PM  Show Profile
No problem at all!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  04:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you are all safe. You are getting our winter weather, but please be sure I do not mind sharing and will keep my -15 right now. Animals are fine, all the sheep hanging out in the house now which is fine. Hubby put tarps around pen to be sure wind stayed out, those little ones seem to be thriving and Sally seems to have enough for them to eat as not a shiver out there!! (except me)

Take care all. Oh I love the little sweater, so cute and I am sure so warm!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  05:51:45 AM  Show Profile
I found this homemade electrlyte recipe. Y'all might be interested in making some.

1/2 gallon hot water
2-6 T molassas
1-2 T sea salt
1 cup ACV

Looks pretty easy to do. I am going to try it.

Lisa, your little doe is so cute and looks good in pink! I hope she is getting stronger and is nursing good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile
Cool, Kristin, thanks. I always prefer to make up my own mixes whenever I can. This will come in handy when my lambs come.
Well, we seem to have weathered the storm just fine. Greg says we have over a foot, easy. Some of the drifts are pretty deep. We didn't lose our power, thankfully. The sun is shining today and it all looks gorgeous!
Hope everyone else stayed safe, too.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Update; The little doe is doing great today. Woke me up with her bleeting, and she's at the other end of the house! Drank 4oz and walked all over my kitchen asking every dog,"are you my Mother?" Too cute. Vet said to take her out today to be with her mom and bring her back in tonight.
Thanks for the electrolyte recipe. I will hang onto it.
Hope everyone is doing well in this weater.
Grace, very exciting about the magazine. Hope it comes through.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I hope everyone is weathering the wintery blast okay. It's been super cold here but nothing as bad as some of you especially Grace. At least it's been sunny which around here in the winter is rare. I'll take it cold and all!!

That little doe is so cute, Lisa. I'm glad to hear that she is doing well. I am also glad to hear your lambs are faring well too, Rae.

Congrats on the magazine article, Grace. If anyone deserves recognition it's you for all your selfless dedication to your 4 footed family. I hope all is well on the Funny Farm with this vicious weather.

I hope everything is ok for you Sarita and that your power has stayed on.

Stay warm everyone and safe.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  09:32:13 AM  Show Profile
We are fine, the winds howled and the temps dipped. I did get a few pictures from my front door on my blog. The sun is shining and it looks beautiful. Our friends to the North and East are getting slammed now. This storm sure effected millions of people.

Happy Groundhog Day! The groundhog saw his shadow and thinks we will have an early Spring.

Glad the new baby is doing well.

Brenda, glad you and Greg are OK. Don't over do shoveling out.

Thanks Rae for sharing...I bet you are enjoying your new babies.

Grace, I will be watching for the article on your farm. Please keep us updated when they publish. Please be careful in that cold.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  10:14:43 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear baby is doing well. Kristin I have that recipe but changed it a bit for my herd. I use half of the ACV, I add 1 T Rescue Remedy, 1T marshmellow tinture and 3 T peppermint tinture. Most folk who ask for help do not wish to make there own so I an thrilled that you are willing to do so Lisa.

Well, everyone made it thru the night still have not really seen the inside of my eyelids yet but I am thankful that no one had any major issues.

Thanks for the well wishes on the article - I have been a cheerleader of that mag since it started and find it a great read to keep so I am thrilled that I am even considered.

I am so hoping that you all will be safe today - I have had many friends check in who have animals and this is really becoming a costly and horrible storm. So I have you all in my prayer circle for a safe journey thru this and stay safe while doing those chores. Got a call late last night that a friend while feeding slipped on a patch of ice - smacked her head and was hauled off to the hospital. She will hopefully be home by Friday but we all have to remember we may be great at what we do but we are not "SuperWomen with super powers" Be Safe all!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  5:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Glad your well Grace. Thanks for your addition to the recipe. I was a licenced wildlife rehabilitator for 5 years and have cared for everything from hawks and owls to oppossoms,fawn, raccoons, and coyotes. You wouldn't believe the things I have mixed up. My husband was always worried what he would find thawing on the kitchen counter! usually mice.LOL
Little doe is back inside. Guess she's going to bbe a bottle baby. She still has some issues. She doesn't seem to move her hind legs well. But she was walking around the kitchen this morning. We'll see how it goes.

I fell yesterday, but wasn't hurt. Be carefull this weather is a bummer.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  6:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Lisa be careful! I hate icy stuff, give me snow any day!!

I will try get pictures and send them to Monica to post, she helped me last time, sometime soon. Sally doesn't let them have to many taken yet at this point.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  7:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Great to hear of your experiences in caring for animals - sound like we might be in for some great stories... Several years ago I had two billies that had to be bottle kids in the house. One names Sherlock and the other Watson. Watson had terrible nerve damage to his front right leg and the vet stated he would never walk and should be put down. With the love and care from myself, my oldest son and Sherlock we set about doing what we do. The pair lived in the kitchen for several months and Watson received physical theraphy every day five times a day. We managed to not only get him walking but today you would never guess he had any issues other then his hoof is a bit larger then his others. Yes, there are pictures of them on my blog of them climbing on my leather furniture and running the stairs in the livingroom. Not that I was thrilled about how much time I spent cleaning carpets but it was all worth it. They both where born in a horrible blizzard and the vet never gave them any hope - so they are my continual reminder that Miracles do happen... Keep us up to date on the little one...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  8:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Send pics anytime you want and I will put them up for you!:)

Grace, Paying your friend is okay!

Lisa, Paying you are okay too!

I hope everyone is staying warm! It was about 20 here this morning at 9 a.m.! Got up to 36 and the wind did calm down some! I have been trying to get some batts and yarns done and much to my great delight, I was featured in 2 Etsy Treasuries today!! Wow! No new news on the house, but I don't really care anymore! I am focusing my energies on my dream house in Ohio! I found one that has 3 acres and a barn!! Gary thinks I am a bit nuts, which may be true considering we don't have $35,000.00 for it, but I can dream and try as hard as I can to make something happen!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  03:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Monica that is a steal!!! One has to dream to have their reality! We dreamed for years being on a farm and here we are! Lots to do but it is a start and I am getting used to my one room home after living in a 4 bedroom house

Above 0 this morning here so won't complain. Supposed to get into upper 20's now for few days and then back down to low teens but it is Feb and getting closer to May!!

Hope all of you are doing good and staying warm.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Edited by - Old Spirit on Feb 03 2011 03:19:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  03:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Monica! Your dream place for 35,000 dollars? Go for it, Girl! You should easily be able to get a loan for that. Can you stay with your mom while Gary looks for work? It would be a shame to miss out on that. I hope it works out for you.
Grace, congrats on the magazine. I haven't heard of that one, but now I want to get it!
It's -4 here this AM, but we are supposed to start warming up now. I think I turned the heat down a little too much last night, because I was freezing all night long! Next time I'll be sure and turn a light on so I can see what I'm doing! LOL!
So far, I have not sliped and fallen this winter. But, I can't tell you how many times I did when we lived in Minot, ND! So, be careful out there ladies.
Are you back to school today, Sarita? I hope you get to stay in again today and do some more knitting!
I really hope this is the last of this winter for us all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  04:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow just realized a lot of us are up pretty early to be posting already!! Oh wow Brenda you sure know the winters up here if you were in ND!

Monica that is really dirt cheap you would not believe what stuff goes for here and at times it is really not anything and surely not worth it. People pay that for 40 acres of pure swamp!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:56:43 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I am with you - this has been a challenge and it is getting a bit old. Today they are saying I might see 30 degrees - yes that is above zero!!! I will not hold my breath because it is still in the sub zero temps. I just kept thanking God that the power stayed on and I had the strength to do the work. We had big excitement here and I hope to get it written up on the blog today - computer is still screwed up but can't get in to town for about a week so I am just making do with what the universe will allow.

Monica that is a great price but I understand if you don't have it you don't have it.. For that price I think I might be looking again - it still is rolling around in my head daily... Congrat's on the treasuries. I have tons of pictures for listings to get up but the computer is not letting me do that so I guess I will sit tight.

Got thru the night with no babies - I hope it gets warm enough today to let the girls out to walk about, it is bad on their system to be stuck inside for so long but rather to be safe then sorry.

Got to run but hopefully be back

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  10:46:36 AM  Show Profile
I have to say that I LOVE you all and thank you for the encouragement! I figure all I have to do is start selling all of my fiber and fabric and then I will have the $$! Still don't know if I can talk Gary into it though!!:) My real dream house is the one on Cooks Country on PBS! @ story white farm house with a wrap around porch, but this one is a very, very close second and it has 3 acres! Here is the link! It's the second house listed and if you look at the additional pics, the back view of the house is really cool!http://mls.neohrex.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=neohrex&PRGNAME=MLSLogin&ARGUMENT=UKQXGORzCf5eTZOdc%2B%2BGCSeE%2BGxA354zpDJdXiX5ghk%3D&KeyRid=1&Include_Search_Criteria=on

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  8:17:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, the ice has melted here and left a muddy mess. It is bad when you slide in the mud nearly as much as you slid on the ice!

Molly goat is down in the barn and none too happy about it. I keep telling her that if she would just go ahead and have that baby that I would gladly let her out to romp and play again. Ladies, I know this is my first time around with goats and sheep to have babies, but sheesh, after raising cattle for so many years, I would think I could tell when one was getting somewhat close. Apparently not!

Monica ~ there ain't nuthin wrong with dreamin! Dreams give you goals to work towards. If I hadn't had a dream to be a stay at home mom again, I would be teaching still right now! My parents inherited some family land in their hometown, about 45 miles away, when my grandmother passed a few years ago. My dad has told Stan and I we are welcome to it. He and mom will never move there, and my brother has no interest, so it will be mine someday. We dream and dream, but probably won't move until the kids are out of school.

Grace ~ I hope you are a bit warmer. I used to enjoy winter much more when I could stay inside in front of the fire. I honestly think I would rather sweat in the summer, now.

We hauled the freezer Longhorn steer off this afternoon. I am not sad, and he was always intended for the freezer, but I can't help but feel a little, melancholy maybe? He had a very happy life here on our farm. All he could eat, green grass to lay in, sunshine, fresh water, friends to converse with. I even apologized to him this morning for the times I yelled at him when he would swing his head and get, or nearly get me with his long, ole horns. Such is life. I won't feel so melancholy when I fix those steaks and burgers I bet.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  9:28:13 PM  Show Profile
YIPPEE, I have been invited to an Alpaca Farm next week!!! Hopefully I can get Gary to go and take the kids! I have never seen Alpacas and Llamas in person!!!!! I am so very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori, It may not happen soon to move back east, but it does keep me going!! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  04:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Rae, we are early risers around here! I always blame it on the dogs for waking us up, but the truth is, we were early risers even before we had the dogs! If I sleep past 6 I feel like half the day is gone! And a lot of mornings I'm wide awake at 4. But, I take an afternoon nap every day (I'm usually a power napper, so long naps are rare for me), and am in bed by 9:30 or 10 every night.
Grace, I keep telling myself "just a couple of more weeks, and surely the temps will start climbing". The pipes to our washing machine burst yesterday. Thankfully we caught it right away. Greg got the water shut off and mopped up what he could. He'll go get some pvc and try to fix it today. He's very handy like that.
Lori, I am looking forward to warmer temps, but kinda dread the muck and mud that is gonna come with them. Especially with three dogs going in and out! What a mess! Good onya for finding a way to be at home. I gave up my military career to be a stay at home mom and have no regrets. Well, I used to miss my uniform once in awile...but it was worth it!
Monica, you keep on dreaming, Girl...you just never know what doors God will blow wide open for you. I have first hand experience in that department. And enjoy that alpaca farm That will be fun. A great field trip for your kids, too!
Off to take the new puppy to the vet today. I've got some things to discuss with him about our upcoming lambing time. We should both be prepared, right?
The weekend is here...even though most every day is the same on a farm (except Sunday for us). So, have a good one, everybody.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  05:14:41 AM  Show Profile
I am with you all...I am ready for Spring! We hired the neighbor to open our driveway. He had a scoop on the front and blade on the back of a big 4 wheel drive JD tractor. He worked for about a 1/2 hr to open our driveway. Some of the gravel roads are still not open and dozers are helping to get them open. No school again today. We will be making up days into June but no one can help it...I will just ride the waves and be thankful.
Lori, one thing I dread worse than snow is mud. At least snow is clean. But mud always follows snow. We quit raising butcher calves, I can not get attached and then eat it. Name it and eat it doesn't work for me. I try to not get attached but if I feed it, I talk to it...Danny is just as bad as I am. I am almost a vegetarian anyway.
Brenda, a town trip! It is a good idea to get to know your vet. I am very lucky, one of my neighbors works for the vet and she has helped me several times and has brought meds and supplies home for me and drops them off on her way home.
Monica, dream and plan. I have done that for years. I think about it, plan it, pray on it, visualize and just know that it will happen some day. My prayers have been answered better than I prayed for.
I no longer count on any human to give me my dreams. Have fun at the Alpaca farm.
Rae, so glad that you are getting a break. Are the babies growing?
Sheri, are you getting more rain? I saw green over you on the weather map. How is your box coming?
I am going to send out some packages today, clean house, and try to get the new yarn put away upstairs. It has been too cold to play upstairs but hopefully it is going to warm up some today. I finished Lexi's stuffed mittens from John's wool.
I downloaded an emag from Interweave during the snow this week. It was $14.99 but watching the videos and getting patterns is worth it. I have spent 8.99 on just one pattern. It was the "Spin Knit".
Go to Interweave and you can see samples.
Time to get all the clothes on, boots and wade out to the barn and feed the animals. Have a good day everyone.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  08:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Lori the only sure way to tell is if they do not eat their food otherwise it is puffy butts and bags are the next clue but here I sit with two girls for over a week and all the signs and no babies so they still can pull your chain.

I hope everyone is digging out O.K. - yes the thaw is going to be something.. We had snow all day at the farm but my son in town did not see a snowflake.. Sarita loved the pictures on your blog but I am sure you are not loving the amount. Glad you had someone to dig you out.

Have fun at the alpaca farm Monica and keep those dreams going - we are all proof that they do come true and even now we don't stop dreaming.

Brenda be careful going into town and hope the pup has a good check up. What type of pup is it? I think I missed something..

To my surprise this morning I found out that I was in another treasury - it is a great one of all handspun yarns - really makes me want to get to the wheel today. If you have a chance could you take a look I think you will find some great yarns there and some like minded folks
www.etsy.com/treasury/4d4c046a19d48eefba7da66f/handspun-softness?index=0

Well, better get back to work - orders to fill, butts to check, snow to shovel - great times.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  09:58:44 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that everyone is weathering the storms okay. Yes, we are due for a rain/snow mix today with maybe some freezing rain too. At least it's warmed up a bit. Those cold temps are such a challenge. Freezing rain in Spokane but so far hasn't hit me. There is already so much ice that I really don't want to add another layer. All I can say is thank goodness for Sheep poop - at least it gives me some traction down the hill to the barn on the icy path! I never thought I'd be grateful for manure but - who knew???...Just goes to show that even the potentially "icky" can have it's blessings! Only a farmgirl could be grateful for that.

As to the box - I am almost finished with the veneer part - got side tracked for a couple of days with visitors and working on a quilt block for a friendship quilt. I don't know when I will get it lacquered though with these cold temps. I will post a picture when it's finished.

Congrats on your treasury Grace. Hope your weather mellows out soon.

Sarita, Glad to hear that Danny's test came out okay. Enjoy your time off of school.

I know what you mean about mud season, Brenda. I'm not looking forward to it myself although right now I think I'd prefer it to this ice flow. Have a safe drive to the Vet.

Sounds like it will be a fun trip for the family, Monica. Is this a new fiber source for you? The house looks like a real winner. Hang in there, girl you will find where you belong. Just keep dreaming of what you want.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:27:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all so very much for the encouraging words! I can't even tell you how much it means to me!! Gary generally tells me I am nuts or say that I am dreaming!!!:) He says it in a nice way though! I figured that I only need to sell about 1750 skeins of hand spun yarn and then I can just pay cash for the house!!Haha!!

Sheri, The lady that I am going to meet talked to my friend Jeannine here in town and Jeannine told her that I spin yarn and weave and the lady's eyes lit up! I didn't hear from her so I tracked her down and she was out of town, but we finally got in touch with each other! She would like to get together and I thought it would be fun to take the kids out. She did say that she would like to have some products from the fiber to sell at the farm so it may even become a business venture, but it is a new fiber source at any rate!

Sarita, I have seen the emag for SpinKnit! I will have to check it out more! I know what you mean about patterns! I found this cool knitting and crochet pattern magazine called Filati at Hastings and was hesitant to get it because it was $9.99 but it has about 50 patterns in it and it has a lot of really great patterns. It's from Germany. My favorite pattern is for knee high socks! I really want to make a pair of them soon!

Grace, Congrats on the treasury!

Hope everyone stays warm and well today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page