True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  6:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rae

It is called line breeding and it is done all the time - I have done it but you REALLY have to know your lines and then you can only do it once then switch, then again, then switch and so on. In the book I told you about "Sheep and Goat Science" there is information. I must say I have taken hundreds of classes and seminars over the years and unless you have all your ducks in a row with great lines you will make a mess. If you are going to do that you are purchasing top of the line bloodlines before you start - not an auction or backyard neighbor sheep.

Hope that helps and I am all ready for our next storm. Going to eat my soup now, back later.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Jami I had that happen one year - such big lambs that one ewe died in delivery because we could not get it unstuck. Could not push it in or pull it out, heart rate went down on lamb so we performed a C-section (my son and I) saved the lamb but the ewe was died before we started. Another ewe, same year about two weeks apart, I managed to push the lamb back in do the c-section and the vet came just as we where stitching her up. Ewe and lamb did well and the next year she delivered twins but all be in the two of them where not together the size of the single lamb. We did not change feeding ratio's, same ram, and the stars did not drop from the sky - I have no idea why but I prayed never to have a year like that again.

I understand about the shards of hay - I had that last year - I even got one in my eye that took a couple of days to work out - thought I might have to see a doc but managed to wash it out after many painfull tries. Just something to stick in the back of your mind and watch. Good luck on the last ones.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  11:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
The sheep we are getting are husband and wife (Sampson and Sally) and then brother and sister (Billy and Nellie), same parents just a year apart approximately in age. Brother was fixed I guess so only had Dad at this point in the Ram department. Nellie had a twin but she died shortly after birth.
Sure am glad I found people to ask my questions and not feel totally dumb.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rae

Am I understanding you correctly - Nellie was bred to father Sampson?? Nellie had twins but lost the girl - do you of what???

This is not a good sign - Girls are the weaker genetic pool older and I would really need to know why the girl twin died. Has Sampson ever had any other lambs? How did they do? if there where any other deaths I would be very, very careful of ever using the ram in a line breeding program at all...

I thought I would let everyone know (will post on blog tomorrow) Mishka's mother (age 21 years old) had a wonderful girl on Saturday and the mother is doing so well at taking care of this girl... I am so excited and so proud of this old gal - Mishka however is feeling very left out. She is upset that mother is taking care of the new baby while she would have nothing to do with Mishka's care last year. Mishka insists on sitting in my lap everytime I go in the barn and as her two legged mother I can not help but try to comfort her. I think she is also upset that she will not be having her own baby this year. She is still way too small. So do a happy dance for the newest girl in the barn. That means this last week I added two sets of twins and a single, almost two months after the last round.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  03:17:04 AM  Show Profile
No, Sally is the only one that has had the babies. She is Nellie's mom and Nellie was a twin. It was during the winter when they were born. I don't know a whole lot as we haven't gotten them over to our house yet. The lamb was very weak right to start with I know as Ethan said they doubted she would make it.
Weather is cooperating this week and nice so snow is melting and frost is unfrosting :-) so will be able to get our fencing going before too long and get them here.
Does that make more sense?
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace for the input. This has been an unusual lambing year for us with large lambs and lots of ewe lambs and the entropion. All of the lambs are doing well and ewes are mothering well.

On the linebreeding, we line breed a lot around here, however, never father to daughter and it's like Grace said, we started out with the best bloodlines we could afford, top-notch, and brought in several bloodlines to out-cross with. We purchased an excellent book called The Basis of Linebreeding, A Practical Guide with Ilustrations by J. H. Liens and we follow the guidelines in it and have not had any issues. One year we started having scurs on our polled sheep and stopped crossing those lines and they have stopped. So, you have to watch what you get...and make decisions on it.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile
So when we want to breed Nellie will need to get another Ram.? She is too young anyway at this point but just wondering.
Wow this is all new but sure am learning a lot from you pros!! This is the best site I have ever found. Thanks for all the answers and advice!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile
That would be my guess would be to bring in a ram from outside the flock. Then you've got yourself started in raising sheep, girl! Watch out...those few will become quite a few.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Rae, while building that fence, be sure to make a pen for the rams and another for the ewes so you can keep them separated.
10 lambs so far! Tizzy had a set of twins today, Tizzy is one of my cinnamon colored shetlands that I bred to White Knight, a border Leicester. They are beautiful white babies with a few spots on them. White Knight is pure white except one dark spot on his nose. Our lambs this year are big nice babies too.
I lost a baby last night. The ewe had a nice big ram at 2pm and she was up eating at 6 but when I did the barn check at 10 I could see she was having problems, she was delivering another baby, I had to help. I could not get the head in position for the life of me, it was back and would not move. My neighbor that works for a vet came down and she tried and she couldn't get the head, we foundly had to pull the lamb, it was dead and the cord was around the head and the back legs. I then worried about the ewe, I knew she probably tore and was bleeding and with the grace of God she stopped bleeding and was doing great today. Not much sleep last night but I got a cat nap this afternoon and I have two more ewes that will probably lamb tonight. One of my big black corriedale ewes has grunted and moaned for days now every time she takes a step. She is one that will be lambing tonight. She has never had twins in the last few years but she has big beautiful lambs that are always pets.
I will be posting some pictures of the lambs tomorrow if the sun is shining and I am able to get some pictures.
Grace, sounds like you have been blessed with wonderful babies.
Jami, are you done?
Sarita in Mo.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  09:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, how disappointing on the dead lamb. Sounds like he was doing somersaults in there to get the cord wrapped so oddly. Glad your neighbor could help.

We had the vet out for a tough delivery this year and he was afraid there might have been some damage done to the uterus so gave the ewe Oxytocin and said it would heal up any tears. The ewe didn't feel great for a couple of days but is now fine. That's the one lamb we've lost this year is one of her twins...even the vet had a hard time getting it out.

One ewe to go...a hold-out I guess. Yesterday had an '07 model lamb and it was the oddest thing. She came up to me while I was bottle-feeding a couple of lambs I'm supplementing and nudged me on the back-end with her nose, then went into the alleyway in the shed, just acting funny. My sheep are not very "needy"...they usually like to be left alone but this one was different. It was like "help me...I don't feel good." I did end up helping her deliver 2 big twins, normal presentations and she licked the first one so much I thought he was going to disappear like a popsicle. Yesterday was fantastic weather, almost 70 degrees and gosh, what a treat for new lambs. I didn't put coats on them.

Sarita, not sure if I told you or not but I had a ewe who delivered lambs 8 hours apart this year! Never had that happen before. I don't necessarily like that because sometimes the mothers will be bonded with the first one and not accept the second but luckily this was a seasoned mother and all is well. Sheep are fun as it's different every year and when you think you know what to expect, they will surprise you and you feel like you're on a brand new journey!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, 21 lambs so far and about half way done! I am Worn Smooth! But they are so precious!
And to think I was worried that White Knight didn't like my ladies...my husband laughs and picks on me about my needless worrying....All the lambs have been white with black noses and even had a blue face on one lamb...blue faced liecester! I told my husband after 8 lambs just came back to back that if White Knight smoked...I would buy him a pack of cigerettes! Heh Heh
By the way, my old gal died and left me a beautiful white lamb to bottle feed...his name is Jasper. I think she either didn't clean out good or maybe even had a lamb that she didn't birth. I tried everything to save her, I will miss the old sweety!
Sarita in Mo.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  07:53:15 AM  Show Profile
This has been a strange lambing season. I too have had eye problems on a couple of the lambs. Treating them and they are doing ok now but I have never had this problem before. They came from ewes that I have bred the last 3-4 years.
I probably won't breed any of the shetlands to any large ram again. I have had to assist 4 of the ewes and I just feel that the crosses will be great for the wool but it is too hard on the ewes. I am glad that the ewes left to lamb are some of my larger and old experienced ewes that have not required help in the past. I am excited about the fleeces so far!
Grace, Jami, are you done lambing?
I purchased alfafa and brome hay last night at the tune of $5.00 a bale. We had regular hay but I thought I needed that extra nutrient for them. The grass is growing but with the temps and rain the ewes are still eating lots of hay. They really like eating the green grass too!

24 lambs and getting there!
Sarita in Mo.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  08:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sarita, sorry you lost your old gal. That's always hard and now you have to get up all hours even after lambs are over and feed that Jasper boy. I am doing the same with a "Rosebud" that I am supplementing and apparently she's not getting much from her one-sided bag mother who is on her last legs and will be culled this year. Her brother is hogging all of the milk.

We finished this morning around 2:30 a.m. with the last hold-out ewe. She had a nice set of twins but they were cold in the hard frost we had last night. Yesterday we had snow most of the day! This weekend it's supposed to be 70 degrees. Whatever...this is so odd for weather.

We have 53 lambs total out of 28 ewes, not bad. It was an odd year for us too...lots of big lambs (overfeeding), lots of eye problems (windy weather, dusty and crummo straw) and a few one-sided bag girls after my husband's idea of weaning last year was pull the lambs for 2 weeks and put them back in with the ewes...to my dismay. It's not going to happen like that again since I'm now culling 4 ewes who were in their prime. I will just tell you I "got quiet" for a few days because I was fuming inside! I had opinions last year but they were overridden.

Hang in there Sarita...sounds like we learn something every year but glad White Knight did his job. I always worry about the rams doing their jobs too and I am not sure why because they have never let us down. Grace, how goes it?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com

Edited by - Jami on Apr 15 2009 08:48:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  10:45:29 AM  Show Profile
I would love to purchase mixed hay at $5.00 a bale - last round after hunting for a month and a half the pure Alfalfa hay 108 lb bales cost $14.00 per bale... Now if that is not heart stopping. Now for the last month I have been searching for straw. I have used up my emergency straw and there is none to be had at any price.

Glad to hear that lambing is coming to a end and sorry to hear of the problems. Heart goes out to you Sarita - it is very hard to lose a dear four legged friend. Jami, I agree trust you gut - hope the eye issues will clear up and tell your hubby that he is not getting a vote.

As for me, the newest additions are doing wonderful - the little girl of Masquerads still has a rattle in her lungs but with the 9 inches of snow one day and 60 degrees with 45 mile an hour winds - it makes it difficult to keep everyone 100%. I am just so pround that Masquerade who is turning 21 years old this year gave birth and took care of her sweet one. Mishka - Masquerades baby from last year is still taking it very hard that her four legged mother is caring for this one and never gave Mishka any care, not even a glance. So she is glued to my leg and wants on my lap all the time. I hope to get pictures of the new one's soon on my blog. I know that little one's are all sweet but really I think mine are the cutest Just kidding!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  11:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Grace...I wish at times I got the only vote on the sheep, but I have a great DH. He feeds all winter twice a day, hauls all the hay and is out there with me day and night with the lambs, will come straight away from work to help me if I need it, etc. It's just that when you are partners, both have a voice, and sometimes they differ. He is the researcher and I am the "gut" person of the partnership but he's very stubborn and I say, OK, we'll try it and see how it goes. I have to say that my gut is usually right on target...I'm not expert by any means but I have some instincts when it comes to critters. Guess it's the farmgirl thing?

It's awesome you have a 21 year old goat and amazing at all once. Sheesh, maybe that "gold" hay you're buying has pixie dust in it or something.

I am so glad we're finished lambing! Hay has gone down here, we can get alfalfa kick-outs from the hay compressing companies for $150/ton right now. I don't know how to calculate that into bales as the bales are smaller than the average kind when compressed. Gotta get some because lambs are on creep feed and they are munching on the alfalfa the most and we're about out. But the pasture is really coming on so hope to get them all out for a few hours this weekend to start grazing a bit.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile
I made it...LOL. I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. This is some really great info and I am learning so much. Keep it coming ladies.

Hugs

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I think I am going to raise some alfafa and ship it to Colorado. I could make more selling hay. $14 a bale! Grace, I would have to sell out!
My girls love the alfafa and the new green grass. The lambs are as fat as butterballs and I have not even started them on pellets yet.
Traci, I know about DH, love them, need them but sometimes! At what age do you wean your lambs? Last year I let them stay on moms too long and then had a long haul getting the ewes back to weight for breeding season.
Yeah for you Traci, lambing is over!
My daughter just now called me here at work to tell me Bonnie, a big oxford ewe, just gave birth to twins. She said that she went over backwards when she was delivering the first lamb....never had that happen before, have you? Ang said she had to help some and the old gal had a rough time having them, Ang says everything is OK now and Ang is going to take a couple of aspirins and lay down for a bit (first time assist without old mom there). Bonnie usually gives me triplets and looses one while birthing. I love this ewe's wool, it has a shine to it and so soft, easy to spin. Hope she had ewe lambs! This ewe is also so big, she hits me at my waist. Her lambs have great wool. Had 3 more lambs last night, a single and twins, all rams.
I did chores this morning at 6 am and then went back in to shower and dress for work and have my last cup of coffee at the patio doors where I stand and watch the sheep and the lambs were running like they were racing, then they would stop and jump around. I always love to watch the babies play. This year all lambs have been white except for the one black lamb and they all look alike. He really stands out!
Christina, do you have sheep, jump in here anytime!
Sarita in Mo

Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace and other sheep people! I mentioned in another thread that I'm considering buying a few sheep, but I thought I'd ask another question here. I read that wethers make "good company for rams" - but what about wethers and ewes? Will they get along? My hub probably won't want to get wethers because they're not breedable, but they'd be good for wool, and they're cheaper...what do you think?

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - jenbove on Apr 16 2009 2:31:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  2:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I don't have any sheep yet. My husband and I just bought this place last year and I am slowly building my farm. I am trying to find out all I can before I make my decisions about breeds and so forth. I just want to make sure it will be a good fit for the farm and my family. I am interested in goats and sheep. I don't yet know which will come first but I am sure either way I will have a blast. I love hearing all the different stories. Please keep them coming.

Thanks...Hugs

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello all!! Ok another question and I may have read it already but after 22 pages I forget. Fencing - do you all use woven or does anyone use electric or barb wire??? Just wondering so we are prepared the best we can be. I have learned more off of this website than anywhere, thank you!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  5:26:40 PM  Show Profile
I am with your DH...why feed them if they aren't producing anything much besides wool? I think they should earn more of their keep than that...personal opinion there. But I would think having wethers with ewes would be fine and just matter on the personality of the wether.

Sarita, no never had a ewe go over backwards birthing. Kind of odd. That's a big girl though. We have evening races around here...when the ewes get fed their evening meal the lambs gather up and run in circles until they are all panting like a bunch of dogs. It's really fun once we go out on pasture because they run in and out of the irrigation ditches and you just see heads bobbing up and down in a long line.

By the way, got alfalfa kick-outs for $120 today. That's per ton. It's about time prices got reasonable. Don't think it's been this low for several years. This is export quality hay.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  7:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals - am finally sitting because we are expecting 2 feet of snow in the next day

I am doing a happy dance because I finally found straw for my girls - now everyone can have clean beds just in time to be stuck inside for days....

As for a ewe going backwards - that can happen with gravity and the size of the ewe. It does happen and also has happened to a couple of my goats and one llama girl.. It is funny and frightening at the same time. Congrat's on the new babies...

As for fencing - I use graduated wire five foot fence. The sqares get bigger as you go up. I would not use electric fence because when we started this farm my sons where young and absent minded. I worried they would hurt themselves. Next, I have seen to many small animals die thru electric fences. Next, when dealing with long fleeces it is very easy for them to get caught and killed with that type of fence. One thing about my fencing is it works great to also keep prediators out.

As for the wether question - intact males can and will gang up on wethers unless they have the right up bringing and management. As for the wether with ewes they can still pretend at breeding and also may and can bully the girls and their little one's. Wethers are great for weining buddies, buddies to other animals such as llamas, alpacas, and horses. They are also great to use to teach livestock guard dogs or herding dogs. I agree that we do look at the bottom line and only if the fiber is exceptional would it make sense. Now I do have four wethers that are goats. Two Cashmere and Two Angora - there fiber is in a different class then wool. The two Cashmere boys are also trained to packing with my oldest son. They have more then one purpose plus they give wonderful kisses.

Well, you all stay warm and safe tonight. I just finished my bread pudding from the oven and now I am going out to check on everyone in the barns. We have had fog, haul, rain, snow and horrible wind - I guess we are in for a bumpy ride for the next 24 hours...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  8:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Rae, a couple of years ago I purchased the little plastic poles and the ribbon electric fencing and the whole works, put it up and it really worked well until the flock started growing their wool and they soon were going through it...the wool worked like insulation and didn't phase them unless they hit it with their noses. Also the current for sheep has to be stronger than for cows or horses. I thought it would be handy so that I could move it and have better land management. The sheep ended up managing the fence like a revolving door. I have a friend that raises the big Oxfords and she moves her electric fence all over and her sheep won't even get close to it. I am with Grace, I like the graduate panels. I don't like barb wire for sheep, they will try to go in between the wires and can cut themselves, and we had all kinds of old fences when we first moved here and the barb wire gets old and almost like rotten and breaks easily, one of the shetland ewes was trying to go through it and got caught up in it and it broke and the situation got worse. Good thing she was a pet and i got her calmed down and got her untangled.
Grace, glad you got some straw. We have had temps in the 60s the last 2 days and sunny and nice. The girls and lambs are really enjoying the warm weather.
What type of lamb feeders do you have? My husband says we are going to build a feeder for our lambs this week end like the one in Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep by Paula Simmons and Carol Ekarius on page 110. I would appreciate any feed back if anyone has feeders like these or ones that they prefer.
jennifer,I have 4 weithers. They are well behaved, pets, and always produce a nice fleece. These boys either had wonderful wool or were pets for me to keep them. They stay in with the ewes. Teddy even helps babysits the lambs. He lies down and has lambs all over him and doesn't ever act aggressive. I had Petie, he was a bottle lamb and grew to be a big onery boy and at 3 years of age began to act like a ram, he nailed me about 3 times before I sold him. He weighed 200lbs. Loved his wool. I think you also have to think about how much room you have and the number of pens and the extra work of keeping all the ewes, rams, and weithers separated. The weithers don't have the stress that the ewes have with lambing therefore they usually have nice wool but they sure don't make you any money unless their fleece can carry their keep.
Grace, hope all is warm and safe during this bad bout of weather. Take care!

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  9:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Just got some pictures up of some of the baby lambs. I tried to post pictures last month to my blog and it took forever and then they would disappear, things were working good tonight.
I have had many people to email me about using the Border Liecester to do some cross breeding and wanted to see the lambs so I tried to post pics of each of the crosses. I don't have one of the Oxford crosses yet but will get one up soon.
Sarita in Mo

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:52:45 AM  Show Profile
We also have what we call "woven wire" fencing. It's not electrified either although we run a single strand of electric tape around the top so our horses won't lean on it. We do rotational grazing and when the sheep are moved to a new pasture we put the horses in after them to clean up and break the worm cycle and they will lean on the woven wire fence if not discouraged by the tape. The sheep aren't tall enough to ever touch the tape. We use a shorter version than Grace does....much cheaper and we're just cheap. That's why we don't have any wethers as pets...LOL. I agree that if you have the desire to keep pet sheep, a nice wool producing wether would be good if they are mannered well for all reasons they said.

Grace, girl, my goodness you and the snow! Does it ever end? My lawn needs mowing already even though we had snow last week.

Sarita, isn't it nice lambing in warm weather? It's just a pure delight to go out and see newborn lambs and no shivering to be seen. I'll check out the pics.

We have new creep feeders this year that DH just built out of splitting a 6" diameter PVC irrigation pipe in half lengthwise and laying the 2 halves abutting each other on a wooden stand. It is working great and was almost free. I'll take a pic and send it to you email. This was an extra piece of pipe, 2x4's and some plywood. He also built some nice new creep panels that work better than the metal bar/frame one I had that the ewes could knock the bars out of if they were persistent enough. It's made of 1x2's and 1x6's.

I'll send you pics Sarita.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page