True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  8:36:00 PM  Show Profile
What beautiful babies, Nigella!

We had triplets today! Twinkle had three bucks!
Here is a pic...
We are thinking of naming them... Twilight, O'Ryan and Eclipse!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  02:50:42 AM  Show Profile
I love love love all the babies! SO precious. I can hardly wait for my babies to start arriving. With these Icelandics it is so hard to tell if they're even pregnant! Sometimes I'm pretty sure Solomon looks like he's pregnant! LOL!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  04:15:06 AM  Show Profile
How big are those cute kids? All of them look pretty tiny! And just so cute. Nigella your baby sure has interesting colors!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  04:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies!
Michele- thy are nigerian dwarfs, so they are small. But they are bigger then I expected. They weighed in at 3, 3.25 and 4lbs! So for a first time freshner who is small I am really happy! Thanks Again!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  08:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I'm so excited to see how he turns out, his mom's won champion at our state fair and she has a magnificent fleece that I can't wait to get my hands on :D. Don't know much about the father though like I said, Dauby (baby ram) was a surprise! Ooooo Brenda, Icelandics I'd love to have a few of them some time do you spin?

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  09:09:33 AM  Show Profile
I barely spin, Nigella! I'm really just learning. I have been trying to do some spinning of my fall fleeces on a drop spindle, but am hoping to get a spinning wheel this spring. I have a ram and seven ewes and this is our first year raising sheep.
I think Jacobs sheep are some very interesting looking sheep. I follow a lady's blog who raises Jacobs out in California...her place is called Mud Ranch. She takes some fabulous photos.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  10:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Hello ladies,

We're expecting lambs next month. Last summer, we sold our old gals and got a new flock with a young unrelated ram. Breeding began Nov 9, so it won't be soon.

Our sheep are mostly Polypay and our ram is a Suffolk/Polypay cross.

I promise to post pictures.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:44:12 PM  Show Profile
WOW!! All of the babies are so cute!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:31:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Ladies,
Woke up to the news about the massive earthquake and Tsunami in Japan...many dead and the number is rising. My son, his wife, and our two little granddaughters live in Japan (stationed there with the US Air Force). We have not heard from them...so please keep them (and everyone effected) in your prayers. I am trying not to worry and know that God can take better care of them than I can. But it is times like this when I would like to have them safe under my wings like a mother hen.
Thank you all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, we have been watching the TV all morning since we got up and praying for all those poor people and their losses. They have never talked about the base or US citizens. I will be praying for your family and their safety. With the power being out, will they be able to let you know that things are OK?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:58:03 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I hope you hear from them soon. The report on CNN said that the base wasn't effected and that all ships were safe. I hope and pray that your family is ok and that you will hear from them soon. I saw the Tsunami happen live just before I went to bed last night - what a thing to watch knowing what was in it's path. What a difference a day can make....the west coast is under Tsunami elert this morning and all the beaches are closed. It's hitting Hawaii and they are predicting some damageing waves on Maui - about 6 feet above normal waves.

Let us know when you hear from them.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Brenda prayers are with you and your family. I also heard service personal were safe. Very scary how much can change in a day!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, Danny just called me at work and told me that they announced that all US Personell is OK and accounted for. I don't know if you have Dish and are able to pick up the news...I will continue to pray for all. I hope you hear from your family soon.

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for all the prayers.
Greg has been outside all morning, and when he came in and was watching the news he told me about the US personel being safe. I am muched relieved. I assume they are probably having communication problems, so I am sure we will hear from them as soon as they are able.
Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers. I had to have something to do to keep my mind off of it...so my kitchen is just about spic and span! LOL!
We should all continue to pray for all those in harms way and who have lost loved ones.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile
I am praying for your family Brenda. I am sure they will contact you soon.
A clean kitchen, just another blessing!! LOL LOL

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:49:17 AM  Show Profile
So my last doe kidded this am. The details are in the dairy goat section and on my blog. Just sending a pic. of the little girl who will be bottled feed. She is having problems. It was a hard delivery.
But everyone is alive and doing ok. One buck, Daniel and one doe Ruth.

I will get better pics. of the buck and load them later.
Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly

Edited by - amomfly on Mar 11 2011 08:50:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about the rest of you but the little goat in the house was screaming none stop at the earthquake hit and did so for hours. The animals outside ran in circles - I thought there was a prediator out there - it was not until I went on line at midnight did I know what happened.

Brenda just know you and yours are always in my prayers and my prayer circle has been going since midnight.

Congrat's on the baby - hope it picks up soon. My little girl is still struggling since Sunday - walking is getting harder and harder and no one seems to know why. Please keep her in your prayers. She was in my arms or in my lap all night with no wanting to be alone or down in her basket... Never had this before...

Today will be another long one I can tell.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  11:31:22 AM  Show Profile
I hope all is well with your family Brenda. It has to be so hard waiting to hear from them.
Good luck with the little ones who are not doing so well. Grace I wonder if the animals knew something had happened. My dad always said to pay attention to the animals, when it comes to storms. If they are calm and cool things will be okay.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  12:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Grace, one time I had a lamb that seemed to be weak and even went down on me and the vet had me to give an injection of Vitamin E and seleneium...have you tried the goat nutru drench for weak goats? Is her gums pale or tongue have red spots on it? I am not a vet, just been thinking about your baby. Is she sucking good?

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  3:04:32 PM  Show Profile
The sucking is great, peeing and pooing on schedule and no issues there, nothing on the tongue and the gums look like the same color of the other kids. I thank you for your suggestions - I do not have that drench but might try to make a trip to the feed store - problem is it takes so long to get here and back I hate to leave her alone that long. My son will be back in town Sunday so I might see if he can come out to watch her while I go. Also,m we have had a couple of fires out by us so I do not wish to leave the farm till the winds slow down too.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  3:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace, just load her up and take her with you. I'm sure they've seen goats at the feed store before. I am not sure what happened since I only come check this every now and then. I'll have to look back a page or two. I do see there have been lots of births and some deaths here. That's always sad. But the births are wonderful.

I hope to be joining the ranks here with y'all soon. I had emailed and talked with Lori about her wool and told her I wanted a few fiber sheep so I can learn to spin. She mentioned the Shetland breed. So I researched them. I do like them. They seem to be a smaller breed. ANd lots of beautiful colors too.

So today I had gone to get my daughter to go to town. We went a different way that I haven't been in a long time. After we had turned down that road I looked over at a big lake that wasn't really a lake. It was from all the flooding we'd just had. This whole farm was practically under water. And there at the front were a flock of the cutest little sheep. I bought had a fit and wanted to stop right then. But i said I'd wait til on the way back. So we did. This lady has the most animals I have seen in one place. All the sheep up front on a dry piece of ground. Some goats nearer the house. A flock of hens on a little bitty island. Then a passel of puppies. Anatolian-Great Pyr pups. And then in another section a bunch of rabbits. All of these animals were dry and well cared for with plenty of hay. So I talked to the lady and told her I wanted sheep for the wool. SHe is going to call me when she has some ready. There was one black wooly ewe with a set of little black twins. SO cute. They were a mix of Cheviot and Shetland. SO I am going to get me some sheep soon! I am getting my pasture up front ready for them.

Also will be getting some Suffolk lambs in a few months for meat.

Sorry this is so long. Just was so excited to find some sheep so close. Oh, and she ha sbeen wanting to learn to spin too. So we might need to be taking some classes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  4:45:48 PM  Show Profile
That's very exciting< Kristin.
You and my brother are neighbors. He lives in Flintstone. I lived in CHickamauga when I was in the 2nd grade! LOL! I went to that private school there...I can't think of the name of it. We moved back to DE when I was starting 3rd grade, then my parents moved back to Chicakmauga when my baby sister was in high school and she went to that school and graduated from there. Wish I could think of the name of it. I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night thinking of it! Haha!
Hope you find some nice sheep. Shetlands are very nice.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Kirsten I love my Shetland sheep - they give good wool and are small enough for me to take care of without any trouble.

Brenda have you heard from your family in Japan yet? I hope all is well with them.

Grace I hope the little one is walking better. I have been keeping her and all your critters and you in my prayers. When do you start down the baby path, Sarita? Love seeing all the pictures of the wee ones.

My houseguest/friend left this morning back to CA so I am on my own again. I loved seeing her and spending time together but I have to admit I am kinda glad to be back on my own again. It was really different having a guest for 5 months. I am so used to living alone.

I finally got pictures of the box I was working on. If anyone is interested, I posted the pics on the "What are you working on" thread under the craft section.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Kristin...I remembered! Gordon Lee! Is that right?
Sheri, We have not heard from them yet, but a friend of my daughter's who is at the same base as my son and his family was able to get a message out that the base is fine, however they have no power. This friend's husband works somewhere on the base where he could make some contact. Anyway, I am confident that they are safe...but it will be nice when they are finally able to communicate with us again.
Thank you for asking. The footage on the news looks bad, doesn't it? Wow, there is going to be a lot of clean up and putting life back together for a lot of people. My heart goes out to them.
I would be with you. I love having people visit...but I am usually ready for them to go home after a few days. I like my space. I am impressed that you made it 5 months and didn't get a little nutty!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I so understand - after a time it is really nice to be back on your own.. Us independant folks really do best when we run our own show but company is nice but 5 months is a bit of a stretch.

Hi Kristin - great to read you here. That sure sounds like an interesting cross - I would really be interested in what that fleece ends up as - they are so very different in their own right that I would wonder what the final fiber ends up as... My little girl in the bathroom is hanging on but not walking too much. Today I added cultured yogurt and a bit of molasses to see if that might assist - the issues is not her eating, sucking, energy but her balance and not gaining weight. Checked her poo for parasited, gum are a good color, no mites, bites or bugs so we keep keeping on and hope that this turns around. She did walk about 100 to 125 yards this morning looking for me on the mail floor of the house. Luckly, she releived herself before stepping onto the carpet.

Well, the wind has me in the house because it is so strong it knocked me off my feet twice - no way to try and rake poo or move hay in - so I am trying to cross of things on the house list... Really I would rather take a nap..
Have a great day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page