Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Lori, that is so sad. I am so sorry and I will pray for your little boy and the heartbreak that is coming for him.
I hope and pray you'll find the right way to comfort him.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh Lori, my heart is breaking for you and you know I understand the pain and loss. I know that this is not easy but with love, time and prayers you will find your way back to remembering the great times with your billy. I hope you know and feel that we are there for you and we have all experienced this loss and pain. I am sending prayers and love....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
So sorry to hear about your loss. My experience is it never gets any eaiser. However I always feel alittle better if I can be with them as they pass. I will be sending prayers for your son and family.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Lori I am so sorry to hear about your Billy. I know when I lost my wether, Chisolm it broke my heart. I think the hardest part was not knowing what caused it. My heart just sinks for your son - it's so hard to lose a pet. It doesn't get any easier but I wouldn't trade having my animals to avoid it either. I am sending light and love to you and your son.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  12:57:06 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss Lori. I understand and know your pain. I am praying for your son right now.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  1:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lori, I am so sorry to hear about Drummer. I will be praying for Avery. I know that we never forget a good friend like Drummer but I also know that God never leaves a gap in our hearts. I will be praying for you all. Lori, do you have any idea what was the matter with Drummer?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  5:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, everyone. The kids took it hard, as expected, but the boys are in Avery's room playing nerf basketball and sounding like they are tearing the house down right now. I spent the day dreading telling them. Everybody that wanted to got to tell the little guy goodbye.

We were treating him for bloat. He had just started acting funny Friday evening- he didn't eat much, and Saturday morning he was a little swollen, so we started then. Last night he still had plenty of strength and fight, he shoved me all over the place when I was trying to walk him, and we were going to take him to the vet today to see if maybe he had an obstruction. When I got home at 8 this morning he was almost gone, and I knew it was useless to try to load him up and get him somewhere - he wouldn't make it. I just sat and petted him and told him how much we loved him. You always wonder what more you could have done.

I was going to skirt fleece today, but it was cold and windy all day. The girls are back in the barn tonight - cold rain predicted. The boys have a nice deep shelter in their pasture. We counted up and we ended up with 120 pounds of unskirted fleece. The heaviest came from the Cotswold mix ewe, Hannah, hers was 8 pounds 13 ounces. My BL ram was next and neck and neck with the Cotswold ram.

Again, thank you for all the kind thoughts and prayers for the kids. It has been a rough day.
Time to go eat a chocolate filled twinkie and look forward to tomorrow.

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  6:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Lori sorry to hear about your billy. Kids seem to bounce back pretty quickly, that is for sure.
You sure had a great amount of fleece! That is alot. I hope you get lots of help picking! It will be alot of work washing too. Gives you something else to think about for a while.
We got another 4 inches of snow today. Dont' know if we will get much out of the coming storm. Heading south of us, and hope it stays that way.
take care all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  7:49:33 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I am so very sorry to hear about Drummer! I will be praying for the boys! It's always hard to go through something like that! May the Lord give you the right words to comfort them and you too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  01:11:59 AM  Show Profile
Well my older Doe just had two bucks! The more red one with the black stripe is Dillan and the light coloered one has white moon spots on one side, he is Lil Joe!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  03:17:24 AM  Show Profile
See? Life goes on! What beautiful babies, Angie! You don't know how much you just blessed my soul by posting the picture. What kind of of goats are they?

Lori

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  05:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Lori- they are Nigerian Dwarfs! They are great milkers. They are doing great. They are both nursing, and Dillan peed this morning! I am sorry for your loss, but I love it that you find my boys a blessing.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  06:41:51 AM  Show Profile
So cute, Angie. Those Nigerian goats were running all over the place when we lived in Africa and their kids were always so adorable. Even when they are grown, they are still cute as buttons!
Lori, my dad had this theory that kids who grew up on farms were more well-equiped to handle life than kids who didn't. He would say things like, "They understand that there are hard times in life and you just deal with it. And they get that death is a part of life and life goes on after death." I don't know if he was right or not, but it sure makes sense to me!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile
What darling babies!
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Angie, The babies are very cute!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  1:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Here is a pic that Rae sent me to post for her of Mickey and Minnie! They are way too cute!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  1:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh my what cute baby pictures. Angie, the goats, and Rae the sheep just make me smile! Here is one I took today of my bull calf. He had been eating!

Brenda I think your dads advice is totally right on, at least as far as my family goes.
Beautiful day today. About 40 outside, tonight the snow moves in?? Got to do some cross country skiing. Found a suprise baby girl this morning too. All was well.

Enjoy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Keep the pictues coming! I love to see everyone else's "babies"!

Question - Our little wild goat is very pregnant, and I have been checking her backside. She is still pretty tight, no discharge, and not much udder. But today, she is hanging off by herself, standing and laying like neither one is comfortable, and doing lots of stretching out front to back and bowing her back down. Does she just sound like a miserable pregnant lady or could this be the first signs of labor?

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  03:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh my I love all the babies. They are so very cute.

Lori-It sounds like she is stretching to move the babies. If she has no milk it probably means, not yet. But I have read some does never bag till delivery. My doe that had the two bucks was very isolated and just acting off and then we had babies that night. Just keep watching. It could mean nothing or it could be something. If I have learned on thing this year, you really can not predict, it is not an exact science.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  03:30:37 AM  Show Profile
Monica thank you for posting my babies. Love all the pictures of every bodies kids

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. I love seeing the pics of everyone's babies. They are all so cute.

Woke up to snow again this morning. It snowed yesterday as well. Isn't it March? I need things to warm up and melt off so I can get the shearer down to the barn...too cold to shear they would freeze. A friend of mine said her neighbor is shearing this weekend - poor sheep.

Did your goat have her babies, Lori?

Have you started with babies yet, Sarita?

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:25:41 AM  Show Profile
My Jacob ewe lambed late yesterday morning! it's a little ram . The ewe (Belle) was a co-Christmas gift from my husband and mom this last year and Belle came with a surprise!

We didn't get her sheared earlier this year due to the terrible winter weather we've had in the normally mild Pacific Northwest. Should we try to do it right away now or should we wait a while??

Also, he was born late yesterday morning and I wasn't there when he dropped, I've been checking on them all day yesterday and this morning they both seem very happy and alert, though I haven't actually seen him suckling yet. We tried to get him to feed off mamma many times yesterday with no real results, he just didn't seem interested. I was prepared to take over this morning if he looked at all lethargic, but he seems energetic and alert. Do you think I can stop worrying?? I've only raised bummers that I got from other sheep farmers so that's probably why I'm a little paranoid here . Thank you for the help girls!!

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's on the baby ram... Here is a trick to know if they have nursed. I put a large bandaid on the little ones butt. Then I come back and check in two to three hours and take it off - if there is poo or pee I know that they have nursed because you have to have something coming in to go out. We did that with our llama babies too because it is impossible to catch them nursing with some of the mom's. If the mother is a first time mom she also will not let them nurse in front of you if she is worried about you coming too close.

Hope that helps and congrat's again he sure is cute.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace that's a great idea! As an update, I did finally catch the little guy feeding this morning after I posted the pics. Hurray!

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Cute babies! I can't wait...but yet I can, I think you have heard me say that I hate the no sleep, up and down, back and forth to the barn. We could start next week. We are suppose to shear this Saturday but I am like Sheri, it may be too cold. We are getting giant flakes of snow right now.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page