True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls,
We have been cattle farmers for years, but have decided to try our hand at goats. We have a male (young) fainting goat and a 1 year old Nanny Boer goat. 3 days ago we purchased another Nanny whose just a tad smaller than the Boer goat. The Boer got is really establishing dominance with the new Nanny. She will not let the new girl out of her sight without ramming her in the side or running her back to the far side of the pen. The new Nanny is pregnant. Do we need to worry about this agressive behavior or is it all part of the establishing leadership within the herd? Should we separate them?

Thanks Ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #2574
www.redgategal.blogspot.com

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  8:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Danielle, I raise sheep not goats, but i would say yes to moving her. Maybe they could get to know each other through a fence or something. But if the pregnant one is getting rammed it could cause her to lose her kid(s). Hope you get them sorted out.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  03:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Brenda, that's what I was kinda thinking we needed to do. Just looked outside and that poor goat is cornered again...LOL. I appreciate your help.

Farmgirl Sister #2574

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  05:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Danielle and Welcome to the group
Congrat's on the new addition to your home.
Boar goats by nature are aggressive and do not tolerate introductions well. Since your other goat is expecting it is vital that she does not get smacked around. I would only have them together while you are with them and slowly get them to be together but that baby is first job. The issue is that once the baby is here the boar goat will want to pick on it and so the group will still have to work it's self out but if the boar is too aggressive you can have someone injuried.

Please keep us informed and we will help all we can. I run herd's of huge billies together so their are training techniques that can help but we must get that baby on the ground and healthy. How far along is she???

Congrat's on the new addition. Were here to help.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I thought this was the case, but knew some farmgirl out there would have the experience I needed. We will move her this afternoon when we get home from work. I might reach out to you again as we progress in the continued introductions of mom and baby!

Have an awesome day

Farmgirl Sister #2574

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Hope all is well with everyone. Long weekend coming up and special plans?? I am hoping that the weather turns so I can get some of the outside projects done. I wanted to clean out the girls barn Thursday but was hit with those horrible winds again so it was too scary to be outside let alone try and rake out the dirt and straw..

I have been listening to inspirational tapes trying to keep my spirits up and seeing the positive in all that is going on. Made some incredible batt's while having to stay in the house which gave me peace and joy. My new approach to keep the coyotes away seems to be working but it is not very lady like and my son's had a great laugh because it was their job when they lived here but now it is mine... The things we do inorder to keep our four legged loved one safe.

Been keeping everyone in my prayers and hope your weather is calming down. With all the wind this week I could not even get roofers to come out for quotes. Still no luck on the structure either - mine was such a heavy weight one and now all the sell is wafer thin ones. So still some are without shelter. However, we are still very lucky. Take care ladies

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  10:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Hope every is doing well!
Grace, Things are going to be quiet around here this weekend! I am trying to clear out some stuff in prep for moving! Things right now are so insane that I am ready to go buy a yurt. Unfortunately the whole house situation is going from bad to worse! Didn't think that was possible! Charlie is doing great! We are all doing good! I got an order from a lady in Austria and she said there are not a lot of indie fiber artists there so I am hoping I can get my foot in the door for a new market!

If any of you are interested..... Ron at Fancy Kitty is giving away a Little Tom drum carder!!!!! All you have to do to get an entry is join the Ravelry group and post why you would like one! It's a larger carder than the Kitten but smaller that the Big Tom! It's worth $700.00 http://www.ravelry.com/groups/fancy-kitty-lovers

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile
Hope everyone had a great three day weekend - temp is going to be climbing this week well in the 90's here which normally is not till July - really what have we done to our earth???

Anybody doing something exciting?? I am giving thanks today because I have Lilac Blooms ready to open which is so rare here - normally we get a frost and they die so I am so excited by this tiny marvel. Other miracle is Olivia is walking with no limp and stood on her back legs to nibble on the pine tree she was not to eat but I was still thrilled.... Small blessings but giant to me.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  1:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Sure has been quiet around here. I have been playing catch up with all the excitement with the new baby and the complications before the birth. The weather here is still unseasonably wet and cold so I haven't been able to set any plants to harden off or plant as we have had so much wind and rain. I would take seasonable weather. I don't envey you all with the hot weather. Thought I'd post a pic of my overflowing grow room just so you could see.

Crazy huh? Takes me an hour just to water. Hope it mellows out or I will have to pot things up yet again and I am running out of space.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile
I love Lilacs, Grace. They are my second favorite flower. The first being Lily of the Valley.
Nice plants, Sheri. YOu will have a nice garden when the weather lets you set it all up outside.
I have been busy weaving baskets and working on a special gift scrapbook. Tomorrow I am off to visit some beloved cousins in Versailles, MO. I have not seen the family in quite some time. We will be going on a trail ride on Saturday which is to benefit the American Cancer Society. I am really looking forward to it. I will be back home on Monday. Poor Greg is going to be fending for himself all weekend...and without a vehicle. I guess if he gets desperate he will have to ride the donkey! LOL!
Have a great weekend everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  04:35:28 AM  Show Profile
How long before a lamb tail falls off? I banded it over 2 weeks ago and it's still hanging on. I am keeping it sprayed because the flies are awful right now. I just thought it would have fallen off by now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  06:43:51 AM  Show Profile
It will depend on the thickness of the tail, length of the fiber and also how strong the band is... I would check it closely to make sure that all is O.K. = I know you are spraying but I would check closely. I have seen some that if not put on correctly the skin was trying to heal around it and ended up with them having to take it to a vet to have it removed...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  10:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so glad to hear that Olivia is doing well!!:)

Sheri, The plants are great!Hope the weather warms up for you!

Brenda, My favorites are daisies and then lilacs and lily of the valley! I hope that you have a wonderful time!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I am getting worried now. Has anyone had lambs with joint ill before? I just read about it. And it sounds like my ram lamb. And mostly bummer lambs have it. Due to not dipping the naval cord and not getting enough colostrum. Plus the fact I did not give him a CDT shot before banding his tail. And he started the limping a few days later. Darn! So I am going to give him a 1/2 ML od Penn and see if that helps. I also need Vit E and Selinium. Just wondered if anyone has dealt with this in lambs before I go further with this. Because it also said most lambs don't make it. But he is running around and eats like a pig. Also need to clean out the stall where he is. I have never had a bottle lamb before so I had no idea. And tail is still on.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  10:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh - you are having troubles with this guy... I must say in all my years of raising sheep I never had joint issues and that is with well over 280 sheep born here... I would have to do some looking thru my books to see what I can do to assist but it will have to be later this afternoon I have a class to teach and work required of my animals but I will check into it. I must say just because he is eating does not always mean you are out of the woods - also do not let him over eat because if his system if fighting a problem their tummies will not always diegest correctly. I will do some checking and in the mean time if you can list any other issues, results or such that would help.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  07:25:15 AM  Show Profile
So assuming the little guy makes it, and I think he will, he is drinking 2 regular plastic baby bottles of goat milk 3 times a day with one later at night. I tried the coke bottle with the longer gray nipple but he got it all over him. I will try that again soon. He's 3 weeks old. How long should I feed him 3 x's a day? And is that enough milk for him? He seems fine after he drinks it all. He is gainging weight and getting taller every day. And the tail is still on. It looks like it's shrinking so hopefully it will be falling off any day now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  9:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, sometimes the tails do take a while to fall off. If it is shrinking, sounds like it will be in the next week or two. There is a spot in the tail and if you can band a lamb there, the tails come off in 2 or 3 weeks. As far as the number of feedings, I usually go by the recommendations on the milk replacer or the lamb's needs. If he is doing well and goes to eating pellets or grass, you can cut it back to 2 feedings. Our little bottle baby got 3 feedings a day for over a month, but we have been giving him lamb milk replacer. Is he up to 8 oz a day? A bummer baby can cause more worry than a whole flock sometimes. I would get him out of the barn in green grass...they just seem to do better outside. My lamb runs with our big white dogs and he also likes to follow our old cattle dog, Sissy.
You gave one dose of CDT and will need to give another dose in 2 weeks. I have also found the vets at Pipestone Vet Supplies are very knowledgeable about sheep and might be able to answer you questions.
We wormed our lambs this weekend and gave the later lambs their 2nd dose of CD&T. It is hard to believe how fast lambs grow. I am already choosing the keepers for next year. We have also been picking strawberries and freezing berries and freezer jam.
Lori, I really like your new web site, I need tips on creating one for the Spinning C.
Sheri, you have beautiful plants, hope the weather cooperates soon and you can get them all set out. My body aches just thinking about it. How is the grandbaby?
Grace, are the wild fires getting close to you? I pray not.
Rae, how is the cattle business going? My old white cow is loosing the hind quarter of her bag from the mastitis. Her calf is sucking the other 3 quarters and doing good.
Monica, are the wild fires near you?
Brenda, I won't be going to Adel Iowa next week end, are you? We went last year and it was very interesting. Did the tornado in Sedalia catch any of your family? So much is going on all around us. I pray that they are OK. My brother lives there and he has had 2 tornadoes get very close to his house but no damage. He lives south of Sedalia.
Michele, how is your grass growing? Everyone here talks about the grasses going to seed and not much growth, hay will be very thin if things don't change. I just hope there is hay for sale later this summer. I don't think we will have much to bale, no under growth.
God bless everyone.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  07:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Lori, your sheep are beautiful. I talked to a lady yesterday at the Chatt. market. She was spinning and had lots of beautiful yarns. We got to talking sheep and which wool is better for what project. And what sheep would do better here. She said lots of people have Marino or BL. So I think I will have to look more into the different breeds, I do like the BL and the Cotswald. Anyway, yours are just so pretty.

I am giving the ram lamb raw goats milk. He gets 2 regular sized baby bottles 3 x's a day. He's right at a half gallon a day. He is in the front pasture during the day. He went to the garden with me this morning. He was nibbling on brocoli and grape leaves. So he had to go back to the pasture. So he is eating some things now. And I don't think I got in between a joint on the tail. I didn't even think about that. I hope I don't have to take him to a vet to have it taken off. And he is not limping as bad now too. I will not be castrating the poor little fella either. Good grief, I don't think I can put him through any more pain. And he will be taken to the butcher at about 9 months anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  4:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments on the my new site, ladies! I am very glad it is done. We had talked about doing it since we began seriously acquiring sheep, but I kept putting it off and off.

It is hot. Like, sweat through your clothes several times a day, hot. W e had 98% humidity today. My sheep are too fat and panting. We thought we were feeding them good so they would have good milk production, but apparently we were feeding them too much.

Kristin, hope your little one gets better and begins causing you less worry. I love my BL sheep. They have the BEST personalities. My ram absolutely loves me. I stay cautious, because I know even a trusted ram can hurt you badly, but he is a real sweetie.

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Jun 06 2011 5:00:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  5:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, the tornadoes missed the streeet Josh lives on, thankfully.
I thought about you the other day and about going to the Iowa thing, but I, too, decided not to go this year. I just got home from a long weekend in Versailles and we have lots of company coming in a couple of weeks, so I had better stay at home and get some work done! LOL!
All is well here. It is getting hot! Where did spring go? It went from cold to hot way too fast.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  7:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Glad to hear the tornadoes have missed everyone. I have been watching the weather and have been praying for you all. The heat must be something else. We are still having record cool temps and are back in the rain for a couple of more days. It was warmer over the weekend and I worked at cleaning out the garden. So much damage from the heavy snows. All of my blackberry canes snapped or split so had to be cut back to the ground. I lost three Lavender plants too. The raspberries fared a little better. The Strawberries are in full bloom so I hope this wet weather won't mess with them setting fruit. They will definately be late this year. Finally got the yarn I plyed a couple of months ago washed and hung to dry. Seems like I am always behind and trying to play catch up!!

Sarita, Little Aydon is doing great. He had a bout with jaundice but that is improving. He is up to 9 1/2 lbs. already so he's growing like a weed. The next one is due July 6th from my step-son's girlfriend - this time a little girl - Abigail is what they plan to name her.

Lori your web site looks great - you did a wonderful job on it.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  10:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, The wild fires are not near me at all!

glad ot hear that everyone is safe from the tornadoes!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I am so glad to hear the fires are not close to you. Scary times for a lot of folks. Today is an indoor day as the rain is moving in again. Time to do some cleaning - spring has been so late this year with a protracted mud season (Rae have you dried out yet???) that I have put it off later than usual. Hope all is well with everyone. Have a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  02:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, been awhile. Actually been decent weather so outside fencing like crazy. Heifers are in pasture now although the other morning had to hunt them down, broke through but figure something chased them as they hadn't done that and haven't since. Geez.....Trying to get the garden in this week and hopefully we will as can still get produce. A lot of people are just doing so this week so guess not quite as far behind as I feel.

Got done with work last Friday so also shoveling out the house so I can stand to be in here!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  3:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear everyone is doing well and keeping busy! There sure is never a lack of work to be done on the farm or ranch. Waiting on weather to start cutting hay. My hay fields look great, and will be plenty of hay again this year. The clover is starting to make buds now. We had a 3 day hot spell, and glad that is over. Tomorrow a high about 60. Got caught up on yard work today. House floors need cleaning, but I'm tired! Garden is pretty much all up now. Cows are on good pasture, chickens, chicks, and pigs are all happy. Milking has been going real good lately too. After 2 months of milking she is finally standing fairly well.
take care
michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page