kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  9:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so glad your brother's home was spared. It still looks awful there. So sad to see it. But they are cleaning it up every day. My little lady I help take care of has piles and piles of brush in her yard. The county is supposed to come pick it up for free but I guess they are concentrating more on the neighborhoods that were hit worse. Does your brother live near Eagle Landing? That and Eagle Cliff and Turkey Run and Fantasy Hills were really hit bad.

Well, I finally went at 9:30 tonight and got the little fella. I took my middle granddaughter with me to hold him. He's very black right now. He's part Suffolk and Finn and something that starts with am H. The grands got to feed him then I put him to bed in a tub in the milk room for tonight. It's cold tonight. I went ahead and put the big wire dog crate in the stall that I use to put the goat kids in at night. He will go out there in a few days. I might let the goats meet him in the morning. I'll have to band his very long tail in a few days too. The lady I got him from said she castrates at 4 days old. Isn't that awfully soon?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  06:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's on the new addition - sounds wonderful ...

4 days is what some do. Since I do not band any of my boys I can not advise you. It also depends on how you are going to fix him as to when... I would advise that since he is a bottle kid you made sure that he is well established before doing any body trauma issues.

Hope we get to see pictures.. I love black sheep

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:36:53 PM  Show Profile
He is such a sweetie. I had the whole family here today. And he had plenty of attention from them all. I had to be at a friend's house for a few hours so the grands had to feed him his mid day bottle. My hubby was here and when I got home he scared me to death. He asked if I had checked on him because he looked like he was almost dead. I ran out there and he got up and "maaaahed" and he was just fine. Hubby said he was just so skinny. I said they are all that way when they are just a few days old. Funny man. Anyway, he's fine. Everyone had to have a turn feeding him some bottle. And he got lots of lovin'. He is in the milkroom under a nice heat lamp for the night. It's supposed to be in the 40's.

I will have to get some elastrator bands to band his tail. Mine are old. I will do that as soon as I can.

But how many of you have lambs that you take to the butcher? And do you prefer intact or castrated? I just hate the thought of banding tail and testicles at the same time. Poor little guy. I have had ram lambs that I did not castrate and the meat was fine to me. It seemed like they grew good. I don't plan on keeping him but maybe 9 months at the most. So should I bother with castrating? And then I could always have my friend do the cut and pull method which I prefer over banding anyway. So I just need some comments on this please.

Grace, can I ask why you don't band your boys? You just have goats right? So you keep them all bucks or sell them?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:50:27 PM  Show Profile
cloudy and cool here and we got 3/4 in of rain today. We really needed it. It is suppose to warm up tomorrow, that will cause the grass to grow.
I have been trying to catch up since lambing and calving is done. I still need to give CDT 2nd shots to all the lambs. I thought I had a crisis on my hands Wednesday. I had read that sulfa helped sheep's hooves and wool and also helped to keep down insects that bother sheep....well, I had not read that if a sheep gets too much sulfa, it will block thymin uptake which can cause neurological disorders. I had a ewe that had a set of twins and she started loosing weight really fast and dull in the eyes. Her eye lids were dark pink, didn't appear to be wormy but I went ahead and wormed her as her condition worsened. I also gave her a pencillin shot. Wed morning, she was so weak in the hind quarters that she could hardly stand. I gave her some grain and she ate good but I shut her and her babies in a pen. Danny called me about noon and said that the ewe was on her side and her neck and head was up. Her legs were moving constantly. I gave her vinegar and molasses water with a syringe trying to keep her hydrated. I really thought I was loosing her. I got on the vet sites and found the thymin deficency symptoms, went to vet and gave her a shot of thymin, her hind legs began relaxing and soon she was trying to stand, in 6 hrs I gave her another shot of thymin and she was up walking around before I went to bed, I had trouble catching her the next morning to give her another shot. I turned her out and she is doing great. Be very careful feeding sulfa blocks to sheep! I thought...just got done lambing and now I am going to have to treat a bunch of sheep for thymin deficency but the one is all we had problem with so far. I took the block out.
Sheri, hope your baby is here by now. Poor mama. I agree that it is not good to fool with mother nature. So many times the pit doesn't work anyway. I will pray for all.
Brenda, sounds like your brother had a very close call. The pictures look so bad. A few years ago a tornado hit over by Linneus, thankfully out in the bottoms that were mainly crop lands but it riped trees up and threw them everywhere and that area still looks bad and bare.
Rae, hope you are feeling better.
Grace, I am glad that no animals and you were not injured in the micro burst. Hope you can get the damage cleaned up and your new building up soon.
Michelle, sounds like you are staying busy as usual.
Lori, are you done lambing? I really liked your shawl. It is beautiful.
I am planning on shearing in the fall this year before we feed hay. I am going to sell lamb fleeces this fall if all goes as planned.
I took a nap Sat and another one today. I did some spinning yesterday and started knitting a shawl...just a simple triangle shawl to have in the car when we go to Michigan. Danny runs the ac on high and I freeze and my joints hurt so I wear a sweater or keep a shawl on. I washed Mildred's fleece and dyed it and spinning some bumpy, lumpy single ply with a lively twist going on, I love the light oranges and greens with a darker brown color ways as I knit them up.
I better get ready for bed, just 8 1/2 days of school left!!!!WooooooHOOOOOO! I love the kids but I am totally worn out and ready to get to Michigan to meet little Evan and have little Brandon and Lexi come to visit.
Kristin, hope all goes well with the new bottle lamb.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  02:40:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Sarita. It's been awhile. I was just thinking about Angie last night, for some reason, and wondered how she is holding up. It can't be easy for her with a new baby and her extra charges. I'll bet she is anxious for her momma to get there!
Well, our last lambs came yesterday afternoon. We got home from church and I heard a very loud, deep-voiced sheep baaing from the barn area. I said to Greg, "That sounds like Ursula" She has a very distinct baa! She makes her presence known, loudly and often! Anyway, within 45 minutes she had delivered a spotted (mostly white with little black spots) ewe lamb and a solid black ram lamb. So, that's it for us for this year...13 total lambs out of 7 ewes! Two unfortunate losses, leaving us with 4 ewe lambs and 7 ram lambs living. We have 5 solid black ram lambs that we will want to sell, trade, or have to castrate. They will all make beautiful fiber wethers if we can't sell them. But, I don't need 5 wethers, so a couple may have to go to the freezer. That's going to be hard for Greg. I grew up on a farm, and eating the animals (even the ones we named...and we named them all except for the 20,000 chickens) was just part of life. But, he's a city boy so he's not sure about this idea of eating the pets. So, we'll see what happens.
I just discovered plucking wool! I love it. I didn't know Icelandics could be plucked when they roo! I didn't have the shearer do my still-pregnant ewes. I left Sage go too long and her babies had already felted her fleece, so I had to scissor shear her by hand. But, Cookie's fleece comes out very easily (she lost her lamb, so no felting) and now I will do Ursula before her babies can mess up her fleece. Plucking gives the softest texture to the ends, rather than that cut end, plus, the new growth underneath is super soft! And my friend who told me about plucking says she prefers spinning plucked wool to spinning sheared wool. Who knew?
I hope everyone has a great week. It's supposed to be sunny here for the next few days...Yay!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  5:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Still no baby. Kim is still having edema issues with her feet and hands but her blood pressure has been a bit better. The latest word is that they will induce friday night if she hasnt gone on her own before that. Continued prayers would be appreciated. It sure has been a stressful couple of weeks.

Congrats everyone on all the new 4 and 2 legged babies. Weather has still been pretty iffy so I haven't been able to start on my fleeces yet. When it's sunny, there has been too much wind. Still transplanting plants into larger pots as it's still too cold to contemplate setting anything out. This sure has been a weird spring.

Have you found anyone to take down the loafing shed and rebuild yet, Grace? Hope all is well with the fire issues et all. Good to see you post again, Sarita. Sounds like you have been super busy. Hope your ewe is fully recovered now and no others have had a similar reaction. How is your wool plucking going, Brenda?

I hope no one has been effected by the flooding.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  8:54:31 PM  Show Profile
I just docked the little ram lambs tail tonight. I was holding him and he sounds a little wheezy sometimes. I really don't know if he got colostrum when he was born. He's in the milkroom in a little tub with sides and a heat lamp. I let him out a little after each feeding to run around and get some sun. It's been chilly and a little rainy. So I am wondering if I should give him an antibiotic shot. I was going to tonight. Just .05ml but there is really not a lot of skin to lift up on the little thing. So I am a bit scared to do it. What should I do? He has lots of energy and drinks a whole bottle, no problem. Am I too worried? And he seems fine with the band so far. It hurt me more I think. I have Furall spray for it. I know y'all have to go through this all the time, but I feel so sorry for him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristin -
I would certainly give the little guy a shot of antibiotic. It won't hurt this time if he needs it, but will hurt if you don't give it and he gets sicker. Sounds like you've got it handled pretty good. I hate it when they don't have much skin to lift for an injection! I feel like such a meanie! Sometimes I add a product called Sheep Power Punch in with the milk if my orphans need a little extra energy to get over an illness or if they're just weak. Sometimes it gives them a little bit of extra oopmph to get well. Otherwise, as I am sure you know, make sure your lamb is protected from tetanus and the such. We band and have lost a couple in the past decade or so from it (tetanus from banding). And with your lamb a little wheezy, I'd get him over that first and then make sure he's protected from the tetanus. Gotta make sure the immune system is balanced and ready. Good luck, and don't feel scared. And just a question: is he mostly wheezy right after a bottle or a little later too? Sometime we get a baby that will drink so fast that it sucks some into it's lungs. Usually it gets absorbed away if it's a little bit, but if it seems like a lot, the bottle nipple's hole might be too big and they suck too fast to keep up with the flow.

Stephanie
Farmgirl #2920

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  2:41:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Stephanie. I just got home and came to check and saw this. Yes, I think he's mostly wheezy after a bottle. I am going to feed him right now and will see first if he is before giving him the bottle. Also, I have CDT stuff. How much should I give him? He's just 6 days old. And that's under the skin too right? I should have given him that shot first before banding him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  7:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Grace, So glad to hear that you and the kids are safe! Thank you for the card!

Sheri, I will keep Kim in my prayers!

Rae, Glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Sarita, Only a few more days left of school!

Brenda, I love all of the pics on your blog! I am so glad to hear that your brother is safe! It is just heartbreaking to see all of the damage!

This have been busy as usual around here! We are still working on finding a new place around here and I just ordered a 22 pound bump of merino roving that I am going to dye and hopefully sell very quickly!! I got an early birthday present from my hubby today and just have to show him off! His name is Charlie and he is absolutely a sweetie!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on May 18 2011 8:50:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  07:05:40 AM  Show Profile
How is Charlie doing Monica??? I hoped you also got come rest..

I know everyone has been up to their ears with work, weather and worry!! Been trying to stay positive and cheer those who have been hit with many of lifes changes which have stretched most to their limits.

I have a favor did anyone watch Jesse Stone last night?? I fell asleep in the last 10 minutes of the show - can't believe I did that. I was sitting up eating popcorn and enjoying the show but woke up just as the news was coming on. I hate when I do that but I guess I should never sit still if I want to stay awake. So if any of you know what happened and would share I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope everyone's week is smooth and gentle - I know I am praying for that for myself as well.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  07:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Is everyone OK after the brutal storms we have had this weekend? Lori did any of the storms hit you, how about you Rae? Brenda, did the Saturday night storms hit you?
Let's do a roll call. I have been praying for you all. So many were hit hard, hurt or killed over the weekend, my heart and prayers goes out to all.
Grace, I hope you are able to get your operation back up and going soon. Will you be rebuilding another shed soon?

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  07:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Sarita I had you all in my prayers and hope that everyone is O.K. I worked the prayer circle since 2 am today and just got done an hour ago.

I hope to get the barn replaced but have been on phone tag trying to find also someone to remove the damaged one and so I get back to it today along with tons of backed up work load.

I will feel better when we hear from everyone.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  07:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi all I am fine here. I am very sad I am not longer a sheep girl. We sold the last 4 on Saturday to a very good family and I am sure they will be happy but still miss them. They became pets instead of farm animals to me so not a good thing for a farmer. We want to get moving with the beef so need to focus on that instead.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  08:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear from some of you! It's been a very quiet week here!
Grace, Charlie has had me up by 5:30 every morning since we got him!!:) I wish I could help you with Jesse Stone! Gary was watching it and I really like those movies, but Murder on the Orient Express was on PBS last night so we changed it and watched that! I will ask and see if I can find out how it ended!
Sarita, Glad to hear that you are safe! Praying for all those involved in this terrible weather!
Rae, I am glad to hear that you are safe! Sorry to hear that you sold the sheep!:(

Hoping everyone out there is safe! Maybe we ought to have a phone list so we can contact one another just in case of times like this! What do you all think?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  09:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I saw the storms on the news and hope and pray that everyone is safe. Big news - Kimberlee had Aydon at 12:09 pm yesterday - 8 lbs. even and 20" long. I am so glad that it is over and all is well.

Thank you all for your prayers. I will write more later - gotta run and get my watering done.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  09:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's on the sweet little one Sheri - Give hugs and snugs to all and now we can all breathe a bit softer...

Monica I have seen the PBS show before but did bounce back and forth during commercial breaks that is why I could not believe I fell asleep.

Rae I am glad to hear from you - was worried about your health.. Sorry to hear that you sheep are gone but I understand completely... Your cattle will now have your full attention and I wish you get luck with them...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  10:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Congratulations! What a little cutie!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I found this online! Hope it makes sense to you and helps!
The Russian went to Jesse's house to kill him. He was using night vision googles, he broke into the house. Jesse shot him and pulled up a chair. He told the Russian he didn't think he was going to make it and the Russian died. Then he opened the closet door to let the dog out.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Grace - after that, he was standing on the point dialing his cell phone - that was the last frame.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Sheri, what a doll baby.

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  11:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations. Sheri. Your Aydon is about the same size as our Ayden was! Glad everything went well and it is over for her.
We are fine. No bad storms. A bit of one the other night, but nothing serious.I think we have more coming.
Lambing is finally done here, thankfully. We ended up with 10 live lambs. Only 4 were ewes, but two of the ram lambs will be used for our next two breeding groups, so that leaves 4 solid black ram lambs to either, sell, trade, castrate or butcher. We are not sure yet what we will do. Try to sell them first, of course, but then see what we have left before deciding what is the best way to go.
We have had so much company and I am so tired. We still have more coming, too! How on earth do you ladies get everything done when you have company? I am still trying to learn how to balance being a good hostess and keep my head above water with the farm stuff, and trying to get some inventory made up so I can get this crafting business going. It overwhelms me.
Hope everyone has a great week.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  3:29:40 PM  Show Profile
We are fine, just some stuff blown around. We live in a well anchored in concrete, bricked around double wide, snuggled up to a ridge, but I know that if the Lord sends a tornado, this house won't stand a chance. Had a lamb born sometime last night during the storm, though. I really feel for the folks in Joplin. I cannot imagine losing everything.

Cute puppy, Monica! Baby things are my undoing. That is part of the reason we have 7 dogs. Who am I kidding. It IS the reason we have 7 dogs.

I haven't been on the computer much. I have been struggling with some health issues and had shows the last two weekends. Didn't do great at the shows, but got really good exposure. We now have 21 lambs, with 2, possibly 3 more ewes to go. I haven't been working with wool like I should be. I sympathize with Brenda, more than you can imagine. In fact, I am cooking bacon for supper while I am typing this. I haven't updated my etsy shop in forever. Since I haven't felt well, I checked out the newest Francine Rivers book from the library and sat on my behind and read. Shame on me. We are short on cash this month, so I have driving several trips for the school, too. I keep praying for more hours in my day, but so far, I think God is just getting a good chuckle out of it.

I am about to make a website for our farm to sell lambs and fleece from. I know next to nothing about computers, so this should be fun. I have researched several companies, and I think I have settled on one with the features I like, and the ease of use I need, at a price I can afford.

How old are your lambs when you wean them? I really can't find a consistent answer.

Lori

ps - can I just add, that after the evening I just had with my two teenagers, it might have been better if we had been raptured out Saturday evening? Middle son came in the house in a terror, going after his trap shooting shotgun, bent on shooting a snake on the ROCK driveway. After I calmed him down and explained the laws of physics regarding shotgun pellets and rocks, he is very disgusted that mom remained calm and that the snake got away. Then the daughter wanted me to "help" her with (basically write for her) a poem for her school assignment. Once I again told her that I have already passed my 10th grade year, and would not do her definitin of "help" with yet another project, she got in a snit and outside she went. Heaven help us.

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on May 23 2011 5:16:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  05:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there Lori! Teenagers can be such fun!
Going to head out and start fixing fence today. Hopefully we have a few dry days in a row here. Did get my oats in and rocks picked, before it rained again.
Got the sheep sheared a couple weeks ago. So the wool is sitting waiting for some nice days to get it cleaned. Brenda glad to here you guys are okay after the terrible storms. You too Lori.
My cheese pot is calling.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  06:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Sheri congrats!!1 Lori hang on it does end, someday Just glad I am done with it and can back and watch my kids as theirs all get older and older

Hoping someday it will warm up and stay dry for more than a couple days. Be nice if the roads could finally dry up so the vehicles don't get so beat up and don't have to worry about getting stuck. Gets old after 2 months!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page