Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  07:57:46 AM  Show Profile
I am so jealous of you, we haven't even planted yet. Had frost last night but this weekend will try and get it in.
Coop is getting close to done so hopefully hopefully won't be long before the sheep come. Ethan said he isn't sure if Sally is pregnant so will see what happens!!!
Yipppeee tomorrow last day of school and I am home!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Rae I am so excited for you.... Can't wait for your sheep... You would think I was getting them NO!

I know what you mean over the weekend we had a little frost in the morning after rain all night. Still can be bitter cold in the early morning and went to the forest the other night because the dogs where going nuts and we still have the mountain lion around - so silly me went out to check and the deer where laying down with frost on their coats. It is funny because they do not even get up when they know it is me. I figured if they where sitting there must not be the mountain lion around. At least that is what I told myself as I was walking the long walk in the dark back to the house..

Silly Grace

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  10:32:31 AM  Show Profile
You will be first to know when they come as I will post it right away. Seems like forever but I know things take time especially starting from scratch like we are. I will be so happy to have more livestock of our own as well as veggies and the fruit when the trees start producing. What fun it would be if Sally is pregnant and a new baby right away!!!
Oh egg question - how long are eggs good, the ones my hens lay? Just kind of curious.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  11:22:08 AM  Show Profile
@ Rae, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I am waiting on lambs too. I've chosen 1 Icelandic and 1 Bluefaced Leicester/Cormo cross. Not sure what else to get...they're all so adorable, but when you can only have a few you need to chose wisely. :^) What kind are you getting?

Siúil A Rúin: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  11:58:04 AM  Show Profile
They are Romney. There are my grandsons but they need to get rid of them so they can do some other animals and my grandson loves them so this way he can see them any time he wants to.
I am so excited though!!!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  1:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rae

Eggs can last up to two months in the frig if they where collect shortly after they where layed, if you did not wash the egg and if the hen is in good shape. Lots of if's...

You can check your egg in water. If it floats it is no good. Also, once you get it wet then you have opened the pours and you should use within a week. I mark my egg cartons and then also check over the egg before placing in the carton. Any questionable eggs get scrabble and given to the Great Pry's for all the hard work they do.

Nothing like farm fresh eggs...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  6:54:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow you guys! You have 33 pages of posts on this topic!
Well done Grace! I would have joined the conversation but I don't spin........

-Yasmine
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  8:52:08 PM  Show Profile
Whew! talk about some busy gals...Grace, I need to clean out freezers, been giving the frig a good cleaning this week...you have me ready to tackle the job now! I will tell myself..."you know you like to stand on your head and have an achy back for days, you will feel so satisfied knowing your chest freezer is all cleaned out and inventory is done..." Help! I am not feeling it yet! Cleaning out the freezer is the worst job in my book. I know I have to do it soon, we will have a beef to put in there soon. We don't have the big family to eat all that I put up anymore so we end up with lots of extra.
Sheri, what kind of pole beans did you put in? I ordered some new ones this year. I put in the bush beans and several kinds of pole beans. It is easier for me to pick the pole beans but still like the tender Jade bush beans. It sounds like you are making head way on the wedding dresses. Glad your weather is warming up. Grace are your wedding preparations coming along?
Rae, I am getting excited for you...
Yasmine, join in anyway...don't have to be a spinner.
Jamie, sorry you lost your lamb. My friend teases me that sheep people run back and forth to the barn with a syringe in their hand to treat their sheep...and sometimes I think she is right. We have had so much rain and cloudy weather since last Sunday...I am ready for some sunny weather. Jami, do you have to irrigate your garden?
I have been cleaning the upstairs since Ange moved out, getting my studio back in shape. I have some ideas to organize differently. My new son-in-law's family has had a large apple orchard over the years and have thousands of these old apple crates that are made out of heavy oak...I am a crate, box and basket nut and he brought me down about 20 crates. I have stacked them 4 high and 4 wide along one wall and put in yarns, books, wool of all colors, etc. I think I will empty them and sand them and apply a varnish, just need to find the time. They are so neat! You can tell they are very old.
I also washed White Knight's fleece and it spins like a dream. I decided to really enjoy myself and I dyed that fleece that I said that I needed to rewash, it came out beautiful and it is a very fine and soft wool....just right to make a new grand baby some soft booties and a hat and a sweater....weave a new baby blanket. The baby is due December 12th, will live in Hastings Nebraska so I think he or she will need some warm clothes and blankets. Oh, I have to tell you sheep ladies, I found some neat sheep material for a baby blanket...got to start them out young.
Take care and give them sweet woolies a rub under the chin for me...got to get to bed so I can take care of that freezer tomorrow...with the attitude of praise of The Good Lord for all the many blessings of surplus...aren't we blessed?
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  9:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita - yes it seems we are all on springtime fast forward. You aren't kidding the temps warmed up - from the 40's to almost 90 by Saturday. Pretty drastic swing. I just plant good old Blue Lake pole beans and have for years. I have also done the purple pod and Kentucky wonder but my kids didn't like that the bean seeds turned pink when they were canned! Like that matters but it did to them for some weird reason. I always get good results with them. I still have several more fleeces to skirt and wash but now have been in the yard non-stop just trying to keep everything wet enough with this heat and wind with it. I should clean out my freezers too to get ready for the strawberries that will be coming before I know it. Thank God for surpluses - we are indeed blessed. The oak crates sound wonderful.
My sheep are mad at me because I closed the gate out to the pasture because I want them to come forward and eat the grass down in the side yard up by my house. Helps keep the fire danger down the end of July and into the fall. I have a little yearling doe who thinks she is one of the sheep - I can get within 5 feet of her and she just stands there or moves to the side doesn't even run. The sheep just ignore her. I know she was sleeping in the barn in the straw over the coldest part of the winter.
I'm excited for you too Rae - there is nothing like dreams coming to fruition.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  11:11:22 PM  Show Profile
You welcome here anytime Yasmine - I am also very tricky about getting folks hooked on spinning or at least getting them in to becoming a yarn junky....

Wedding stuff is going really slow - I finally got the table sizes so I can plan the arrangements. As soon as they pick the favors for the cakes I will work with the pastry cheif (she is a dear friend and we work so well together) on the styles... Still waiting on the heriloom seeds that will go into the favor boxes - finally finished punching and assembling all the paper Gerber Daisies that will go on the boxes. Still working on what to wear.... I hate, hate, hate shopping for clothes and then the whole hair thing - Yuck!

Sheri my orphaned doe is still her - she hurt herself a couple of weeks ago and the older goat boys would sit out with her in my forest to protect her - it is so interesting. She watches me while I work and loves going up to see the baby goats... Sheri I am with you - cleaning the freezers are the worst - I always have such good intention to keep it organized but the elves keep messing it up.

Can't wait to see pictures of the fleeces and yarns Sarita if you have a chance. Sounds wonderful....

I too am going to bed now - see you all in the morning.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile
After a looonggg winter it surely does feel like a blessing to have the warm weather bring us growing lambs, gardens and weeds and the sore muscles that go with them. I find myself having spring fever for the inside of the house but so many chores to keep up outside as well. Yesterday when it got too warm to be outside doing anything besides watering, I came in and cleaned out a kitchen cabinet and put down new shelf liner and organized, then actually waxed my kitchen floor. We have that no-wax linoleum but it's old and dull. Really perked up once I got a good coat of wax on it. Today think I'll do the bathrooms as they have the same flooring and it does look so nice. I bought new kitchen throw rugs while on our trip. My mother in law helped me pick them out...she's good at decorating.

Sheri, we went to Wyoming over the long weekend to see the in-laws. Great road trip...just spectacular scenery with spring green everywhere. And the antelope! I lost count...in the thousands. Never saw that many on previous trips but didn't see one baby so must not be quite yet time for anteloping (is it like "lambing"?) I was thinking of Home on the Range...where the deer and the antelope play.

Well, I have a list a mile long for today and it's going to be a hot one..into the 90's like Sheri said. Night before we left on our trip it frosted and the tomatillos looked a little worse for it but fortunately this time of year I keep 5-gallon buckets around my tomato/tomatillo/pepper starts. Cut out the bottom and they do a good job of protecting somewhat.

Sarita, can't grow a thing here without irrigating it. We get 6" of precip a year. Get real yellow and dry after the creek water quits running our way.

Have a great weekend girls. Glad you joined in the conversation Jasmine. Rae, have fun putting in fence. That just never ends.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com

Edited by - Jami on May 29 2009 07:47:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Jami I understand from Grace's post yesterday that your FIL is having health problems. So sorry to hear that hope all is well. It's kind of hazy out this morning but still windy. I am so tired of this wind it's beating my poor potted bedding plants and drying them out all the time. I know that if I put up a wind generator or something the darn wind would quit....Back to potting up flowers today I have some wave petunias that I started from seed that are pretty root bound and have to get put in baskets today. I am trying to hold them back a bit so that things will still look good for the wedding. That in itself will be a challenge depending on what our weather does.

Sheep are still hanging by the barn and haven't come forward to eat down my grass - buggers. Sooner or later hopefully they do. They are still sulking this am. Hope everyone has a great day.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow you are all busy!!! Scrubbing a floor, I have cement. We live in a garage but are making it home. I will be scrubbing it though just cause of winer yuck or should say wet wiping it! That is on my list of to do after today. Be so nice to wake up on Monday morning and NOT have to go anywhere. Of course then work really kicks in but so different when it is for us and our dream.
Hopefully in next couple weeks will have lots to report. Going to set up a blog spot as well and put some pictures of place as well as our chicken coop as it was being built.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  10:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rae,

I will follow your blog as soon as it is up - exciting to see the goings on there. I just posted some new pictures on mine and this weekend I will be starting a new contest.

Have fun, enjoy the work and remember we never get it all done.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  07:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies need some help. I want a name for our farm. I thought about K & R Family Farm or just farm, for Kevin and Rae, kind of legacy but corny. THen I thought about the lumber yard guy calling us the house in the woods and thought about Farm in the Woods.
We have chickens, soon sheep and then there will be cattle, plus our 2 dogs so far. We will garden as well and I hope to spin my fleece and whatever else I can do so we are self sufficient.
What I am asking if about a name.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile
How about "Woodland Acres Farm" ? I don't know I'll have to think some on that one... Gotta run my plants are drying as we speak it's already 65 and it's not even 8 o'clock yet.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  04:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Rae, will you be selling your fiber, fiber products, livestock etc.... You may want to name it something that will let people know what you sell.
Just a thought.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  06:15:18 AM  Show Profile
We will eventually sell that as well as beef, eggs, etc... Our location is in the woods with about 90 or acres of pasture/corn growing type thing going on, so far.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  07:55:24 AM  Show Profile
It's hard to choose a name when you possibly might sell so many products, isn't it? Then definitely "farm" should be in the name. That says it all. I regret choosing the "sheep company" part for our farm now as we sell other products besides sheep and wool too, like hay. Didn't think we'd ever get to that point, ya know? You start out small and simple, not knowing the possibilities or where you might go with things. I was even thinking of selling veggies at the farmer's market, then our name really makes no sense except that the sheep manure sure grows great veggies!

Okay, today's our flock inspection so off I go...

Oh yeah, the ewe that had mastitis. We brought the sheep in yesterday and vaccinated lambs and looked over the ewes...flipped her over and it's the grossest thing I've ever seen on a sheep. Tubes and flesh exposed and here we are getting warm weather and flies, etc. DH wanted to put her down then and there he felt so bad for her. One side of her bag is actually sloughing off with exposed flesh and no skin. I won't even take her to the auction. If it doesn't heal up completely (we doctored her up some and gave her LA-200) we will humanely put her down here. Otherwise, I might just let her retire, no more babies. She has a great fleece although I bet this year's will have a nasty break in it after her illness. Funny thing is she is acting so normal and eating like it doesn't bother her much. I just feel bad for her. Weighed lambs yesterday and her little 2 remaining ewe lambs are gaining over .50 pounds per day which isn't bad considering they aren't nursing. Always something...

Sheri, my FIL is doing well, no worries. Thanks for asking.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Jun 01 2009 07:56:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:19:32 AM  Show Profile
Long weekend. I worked outside "playing" in the dirt. Finally got most of the tomatoes in. My son and his intended were here and helped me to dig the 60 holes to plant them. We dig the holes with a post hole digger so I can plant them deep for good roots and then I stake them to metal fence posts. I still have about 16 to do today and plant the zuchini and cucumber plants. Then I can finally say the garden is planted.....whew. I did manage to get some wool washed on Saturday but am still drying inside due to this dratted wind. I was reviewing a spinning dvd that I'd bought and it had the Viking comb demo on it so I think I've finally gotten that figured out. It sure removes a lot of the residual vm out of the wool. I like it...good Christmas present from my kids.

Sorry to hear about your ewe, Jami. It's never fun to have a sick animal. Hope everyone had a productive weekend.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm so excited! Yesterday my husband and I got one box stall hoed out for the lambs coming at the end of the month. Making slow progress on the barn, clearing it out, etc. Just wish I didn't have to share it with his construction junk. It'd be nice to have my OWN little barn. Sigh.

Am dyeing some wool this morning with kool-aid...looks pretty good right now. Anyone know if it's colorfast? Also, does anyone have experience with drum carders? I've love some advice. I'm trying to buy one and so far have heard the best things about Pat Green and Fancy Kitty. If you use a drum carder, do you like it? Would you recommend it? I want to mostly make art batts with mine (blending fibers and "stuff" together to spin and/or sell as is.

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Just be happy you have a barn of any sort, my dear. I don't and it's a true pain in the brain sometimes to not have one. But we make do, ya know?

Never heard of a Fancy Kitty drumcarder. I have a Strauch and love it. I actually enjoy spinning the combed roving over the carded batts...just comes out to a smoother yarn but maybe that's my style of spinning! By the seat of my pants. Grace would cringe. I do a long draw, inchworm, short draw, long draw method...

Sheri...my goodness you did some planting girl!

Rae, sore muscles today? I wrangled sheep all weekend and today too and was a bit sore. Vaccinated lambs and weighed them too.

Manana.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Well house is kind of in order, sure looks better anyway. Re-arranged things and looking more housey instead of garagey. Now can finish with chicken house and get the fencing going for sheep. Oh yeah and garden will get in tomorrow and Wed as we are suppose to get rain on Thurs, Friday, Sunday-Tues. We need it but not right this week :-(
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  07:27:18 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Hope everyone is having some productive time. I worked in the vegetable garden 22 hours in two days and I am finally finished with the planting. I have to say at this juncture I am relieved to be finished. All the bedding plants - tomatoes, peppers (4 varieties) cukes, and squash are finally in. I still have all my flowers in pots and ponies but I will get to that another day. This gal is tired today. Today I am going to play catch up in the house - it's a mess since I've been putting in so many outside hours. I need to get the outside buttoned up so I can sew and sew and sew....!!

Jami I hope your ewe is doing better. Don't worry, you are not alone, Grace would probably cringe over my spinning as well...but practice makes perfect and I wish I had more time to spend at it. I don't know how you raise so many animals without a barn. Kudos to you for sure - I don't know what I would do without mine.

Have fun planting Rae. Did you ever come up with a name for your place?

How are the wedding plans going Grace? It's not too far to the wedding now. I still have LOTS to do before my son's.

Have a great day everyone - I'm off to water all the pots and ponies.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile
No, no name yet and I really need to come up with one. Still no garden but should be starting tonight and finish this week. We keep having frost!!!! Our tiller died but Hubby will have it fixed tonight so away we go. Worked it up with a tractor earlier so just the final till and plant.
Sheri no barn? What do you do?? We are, as I have said too many times :-( , just starting out so building as we get. Anyway interested in how you manage.
Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page