Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  7:27:58 PM  Show Profile
I use chickens to get rid of bugs. They work really good and they are cute I think!!! hehehehehe I have been busy today. My sisters dog was due on sunday but she decided to have them today. 3 little cuties. I get to keep one since my dog is the father. I used to breed dachshunds a lot but now I only do it a few times a year so I told her I would be open to be with her dog and deliver them. They go back to her house this weekend so she can take care of them while they grow. But I was up all night with her since she went into labor last night and didn't deliver till this afternoon. Boy I need to go to bed. thanx for all the info about processors. I will have to check out the prices..The one by me is usually at all the fiber festivals.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  07:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Mornin' girls. Beverley, fun on the pups. Kind of like being a grandma, you get to enjoy them but send them home too! Funny, with my experience with lambing and such, I would have no clue what to do with a dog in labor. I would probably be a basketcase.

Great, if the mill close to you is at fiber festivals you can see their products. Buy something and see how it spins up and washes, etc.

Sarita, batten down the hatches, girl. Hope you're okay this morning. The rampant weather changes just keep life real simple, doesn't it? Like I said, the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise is how you have to look at it because you're relying on both to cooperate, right?

How are the rest of you gals?

I had a rough day yesterday...opened my mouth, inserted foot and endured some fall-out from it. Always a nice humbling experience. Keeps me on my knees. Anyhow, last night decided to de-stress about it and go spin with the local spinsters and had a very nice relaxing time and got some spinning done which I've been not doing much of lately. Just a few of us showed up but it was a nice visit and it turned my mind to others' needs which I needed. I'm feeling better this morning.

Enjoy your day.

Oh, the flies - last of my free range chickens died last year so we'll see how this year bodes with the flies. We are so dry here lime would just blow away in the wind. We have bad nose bots in July and they are treacherous for causing tracheal problems if not treated. We worm with Ivomec for those. The sheep snort with their nose to the ground and stomp their feet when the flies are trying to do their thing. Otherwise, it's survival of the fittest.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  07:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Jami
Glad someone else has that foot in mouth disease as well, HA!!! They claim we are getting rain later today, tonight and tomorrow. In forecast all the time but lately haven't had much but then it is cloudy and gloomy all day.
Hope all are safe out there!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  07:57:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. Had some real nice thunderstorms yesterday afternoon and late evening. Nothing like what Sarita and Grace have been having but enough to have my "tough" German Shepherd guard dog quaking and trying to get in my lap....97 lbs of lap dog isn't exactly my idea of a quiet evening!!! Fireworks aside tho yesterday was a really productive one despite the weather and I got quite a few plants potted up and the bird netting on the strawberry patch - all in a good stiff wind which was fun. Today is the kids college graduation so I will be heading to Spokane for that. Lots to do before I go though. Hope all is well with all the "weather challenged" and everyone has a great day.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all,
We didn't receive all that was predicted...we got sprinkles! It thundered and lightning, looked threatening and blew itself out!Wahoooo!
Today is sunny and in the upper 80s so far. Washing fleeces today. It is perfect weather for it. I have one fleece in the frames and the good breeze is blowing out the debrie and another one in my portable sink out under the clothes line...I use this sink to get the brown, dirty stuff out of the wool, then hang the bags on the line to drain and then another is in soaking in the hot soapy water and one is in the drying racks so far. I am spinning while the wool is soaking.
Jami, some days are like that aren't they? Thoughts swirling, words out and then choke on them! Been there and done that...get alittle knee time in with the Lord. I am very thankful that we have "I am very sorry.' in our vocabulary. Hope everything is OK today.
Sheri, what a great day! Your children graduating from college... I also have a lap dog when it thunders...Sissy my cattle dog! She hates anything that makes too much noise. She comes to me and tells me when I need to get out and check on one of the cows, calves, lambs, ewes. She stays with any of the sick babies or mothers or orphans. She is a jewel!
Girls, chickens are out of the question with hubby. Too many foxes, coyotes. I would love to have some hens and a milk cow but I lose!
Beverley, how are the puppies? Give them sqeezes and kisses for me. I love babies!
Better get back to the wool assembly line...day light is burning.
Have a great day everyone!
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  12:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls:
I've got a computer glitch going on...my antivirus says I have a trojan thing but it's quarantined. Hubby will fix it tonight I bet if he's not out fluffing hay. He'll bale tomorrow if the weather holds.

I have a Pyr who is afraid of any loud noises, fireworks (I don't like the 4th of July for this reason), thunder, etc. He has to be brought into the garage and trots around the whole time full of nerves. Lap is out of the question!

Sheri, enjoy this big day in the life of your kiddo. It's a big deal.

Regarding my foot in mouth disease (funny, Rae, perfect!) I did apologize but some people forgive easier than others. This was not a forgiving type but a "line drawn" type of thing. I live and I learn..just wish I was as slow to speak as I am to wise up, ya know???

You've got a whole assembly line going, Sarita. Back to work for me...taking my lunch break. Happy trails girls.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Jami
Hope you computer feels better soon. Our older dog does not like any kind of loud noise and shakes the whole house. Puppy is scared to death of vacumn the minute it comes out she runs so will see with the storms.
Everyone is so busy!!!! Can't wait for my sheep to be here and more chickens so I am the same on the animal end although seems to be never ending work with garden and all the other stuff.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi to everyone,
Sarita, I am glad you didn't get what was predicted. That is good for you!!! And the puppies are just fine!! doing good. cute little things. they were .35 ounces when born so they were tiny but then again the mom is only about 7.5 pounds full grown and the dad is 9.5 so they won't be too big. They start out black and will lighten up and become cream dachshunds longhaired when all grown up. so right now they do not look like they will at all. In about 6-8 weeks from now I will take a pic and send it cause then they will look like they will.
On another forum they were talking about a washable wool pelt? What the heck is that?
Oh yea I got woke up this morning to the answering machine going off at 6:30 that my chicks were at the postoffice and to come and get them. I ordered 8 hens and 2 roosters of americanas. the kind that lay the blueish green eggs. They are so cute. so now I have baby chicks in the brooder too. they are so cute...I just love this particular chicken. well I am just babbling on now so I better go get something done. My grandson and I went looking for tadpoles today but didn't find any. maybe tomorrow...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  10:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi to all again,
The man I bought my merino sheep from said I probably would need to get her sheared once this summer to get the about 1/2 inch cut off that has kinda felted before it left his place. could I just leave that and cut it off when I skirt it all? or will it hurt anything? thanks for any info bev

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday girls. Computer is fixed. Hurray! Ram sale catalog is to the printers and mailed Saturday. Hurray!

Beverley, I'd go ahead and shear the girl now and start fresh. I feel cutting of individual locks of wool is a big pain in the brain but you may have more patience than I, so your call of course.

We weaned lambs and gave second shots yesterday. It's been a noisy night but thankfully it was very cool and rainy yesterday so we could sleep with our windows closed! Good thing. Rained overnight and another thanks because we got our hay baled yesterday morning. It's not all under cover yet but better it gets rained on in bales than beforehand.

Good day to all.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - what a whirl wind around here.

Saturday was the bridal shower and everything went well. It was the first time since my husband passed away that I was in the same room with his side of the family - long horrible story and terrible deeds done on their side - but I will do what it takes to make my son's wedding the best it can be. Anyway, they loved the gifts I made for them and that was all I wanted.

I finally got my old Angora Mother shorn on Friday - she kept scratching herself and getting her back leg caught in the fiber and then she would hobble around the pasture on three legs. So yes I sat with and walked with her clipping away at the massive blanket. Since she is 21 years young I do not man handle her. Her baby Monica was free to nurse while I cut away the layers of fleece. She was able to eat, drink and sit when she wanted and I just kept at it. Once she realized how wonderful the air felt on the skin again she had much more patience with the process. I know most folks would not do that but maybe that is one reason I have a 21 year old goat in perfect health and still producing babies. Who knows.

I then got busy on picking up after all the hail storms. The nice part is my grass aound the house and such is waste, bad thing if you lose something in the grass. I have given up over the years of mowing - went thru too many mowers - so Llama boy and the weather goats work at it but with all the rain they can not keep up.

I recieved my five Black Star Hens a week early so I am slowly getting them into the routine.

I have been spinning some of my Cashmere/Merino fiber batts getting them overspun to then turn into some art yarn. I sure hope it turns out as good as the idea is in my brain. I also finished dyeing some Kid Mohair Ringlets. They turned out just right and now I hope to get them spun into some slub and cocoon yarn this week too.

Sounds like you ladies have been very busy too.
Jami - glad your ram sale book is done and that soon your duties will be more for yourself.

Bev I agree this is a perfect time to take the fleece and then you will have a clean slat and a good jump on this coming years growth.

Sounds like the weather is not overdoing itself too much - we have had a storm still almost every day but no hail for the past three. The frogs in the pond love it, the birds who have decided I was to be their port in the storm have been assisting in lowering the Miller Moth population. The birds nest on the front porch light has hatched her two babies and they are very loud but sweet. My poppies that survived the storms are in bloom so all and all life is grand.

Can't wait to catch up with everything and am loving to hear about your busy lives.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  09:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday to everyone,
Grace, glad to hear from you, worried what the storms had dumped on you. I couldn't help but giggle thinking what the shearing your old angora momma must have looked like. We love our animals so much, don't we. I also can sympathize with you and the other side of the family...after my father in laws illness and death, I almost refuse to be around my husband's side of the family...another long and bitter story!
I am cleaning on my studio again today, I just don't seem to get it the way that I want it. I am trying to get my sewing machine out so that I will want to sew. I want to make some new aprons. It is extremely hot and muggy here today and predicted for the rest of the week am going to take it easy. We finally got both the big garden and the melon patches tilled and cleaned out. The corn and beans will take off and really grow with the sun that we will have.
I canned spicy pickle beets last week and froze peas. Saved the beet juice to try Rae's recipe.
Jami, was your class this week? Can't wait to get to hear how it went.
Back to work for now, hope everyone had a good week end.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  09:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I must of got the dates wrong for your class....I thought you were going to the spinning class...sometimes I wonder what and where I get some of the things I think! Sounds like you worked hard over the week end.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  09:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh I am so glad grace that everything went well and that everything is going well for you!! I think I will give shearing her myself a try to get what I can off of her and let her start new. I will probably be walking around after her too since she in new and isn't really comfortable with me yet but I think I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice.
It is hot here. In the upper 80's and for us that is hot. and we get the humidity to go with it. Sometimes I wish it would rain to get rid of that. but everything else is good here.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Grace
Glad to hear you are doing ok. You have had a really rough spring. We are finally getting heat but some major humidity with it, not my idea of a good time. Oh well what do you do, just complain I guess :-)
Things are moving along here, slow but moving.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile
I am in from the heat - almost 89 here and that is way too hot for me and outside work. I should clearify, I had my goat in a kidding pen. I am not as silly as to walk around the 35 acres trying to shear. O.K. I am silly but not nuts even when I live on the Funny Farm. The problem with older goats is if they get too upset their tummies get all waked out. In these old one's that can spell doom.. With all the storms and the hail pounding over their heads in a metal barn - they have had enough stress.

This year kids will soon be up for their first hair cuts - Oh Joy! I love those baby fleeces but it is a workout. I did the Big Billies for the most part. I do have hoof trimming on them but I need my son for that - maybe I will have the daughter in law to be hold one of these big guys. With a horn span of about three feet they can be a handful but with me they curl up in my lap and lick my neck. However, I have two who do not like their feet done, they require some muscle.

Sarita I know what you mean my whole house is my business and I have a basement full of fabric, a room full of paper and beads, a room just for my carding and picking macines and then I have the "Farm Shop". Then I have the kitchen which I end up doing my dyeing in and the livingroom has those labeling and handwork that I do while watching TV. Then their is my office room. So you see except for my bedroom and two bathrooms I am all over the house. I keep thinking if I get a smaller house then maybe I would also destash somethings. Yup like that is going to happen. Anyone need some stuff??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  1:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh my , I have a sewing room that is just stuffed to the brim with fabric and all the stuff that goes along with sewing and then on the front porch I have my cutting table and stuff that goes with that. Our house is small so right now that is all I can fit . I had to de stash when I moved "up north" so I had more. So I am glad I am not the only one!!! It makes me feel better...

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  3:30:53 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe how many pages are to this thread. When I first started there was 19 pages!!
I need to start to collect fabric so I have some when I get ready to do whatever. Want to start quilting as well as some good ole sewing.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  4:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone. Glad to hear you are ok Grace and that you are drying out Sarita. It's been a long weekend but a good one. Graduation was good albet the speeches were too long and unfortunately not exactly relevant (in my opinion). Had rain on friday. Saturday we moved that fence and I got my son to dig out some really tall parennials (sp?) that bothered the aesthetic balance in my flower garden and had been driving me nuts and re-plant them along the afore mentioned fence. Then I had my first strawberry picking - got about 11 pounds - got those cleaned and in the freezer with some to eat (yum). Sunday the grandkids came out and we had a big spaghetti dinner with homemade bread for dinner. Everyone was sufficiently covered in tomato sauce by evenings end....boy was I exhausted. Today you'd swear it was early march - have on two sweatshirts against the chill wind and am still cold. They say it could get down to 38 out here tonight. Brrr & not so hot for the tomatoes and cukes & squash. Hopefully no colder than that as I have already been frost nipped once and the cukes are just now recovering from that.

Now that the bridal shower is over, Grace tell us what did you make for her? I am curious as I have one coming up next month myself.

As to my house and crafting supplies - my whole house is a studio. I can't even say the bathroom is safe as I have lots of dying supplies in the cupboard above the washer. I have craft supplies in every conceivabile place and refuse to part with any of them as each craft takes it's own particular tools and supplies. As the kids moved out, I just converted their rooms into a dedicated space for a different kind of craft. I shudder to think how much $$$ I have tied up in supplies.....

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  4:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Sheri
I almost envy you cause it is 90 here and MUGGY!! No we need the warm but the humidity makes me a bit grumpy!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  8:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Well right now is my favorite time of the day. All the animals are put to bed and it is cooling off a bit since it is now dark and it feels nice here in the living room and the windows open. I can sit a relax a bit. I need to move some perinnials (sp) too. I started them from seed in the garden last year just so this year I could move them and now they are doing really well so it is time. Probably on Wednesday since I will be busy tomorrow. A friend and I are suppose to teach an embroidery class tomorrow but the lady who is having it ,I don't think advertised it to well so we may not have any students. no biggie either way. Oh well ....

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  8:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, I will type fast because we are again in a storm warning and the wind is really getting going.

I can not believe in all the stuff going on here I forgot to take pictures of the gifts. First I made a tote that was trimmed in antique silk chennile yarn that looks like grass with wet dew on it. I then crocheted a silk Gerbera Daisy on the clasp with stacked antique buttons for the center of the daisy. In the tote I had made four dozen cards with a crocheted little Gerbera Daisy on a velvet moss green ribbon that ran across the card on the horizon. In the center of the crocheted daisy I attached a tiny black button. Each card had a single daisy and was either black inside or I hand stamped "Thank You" on the inside. I crocheted the same color Gerbera Daisies as I will make for her wedding. Then I hand stamped 6 dozen postcards with those same colors of Gerbera Daisies - I made it look like an abstract wallpaper with a few embossed daisies scattered around. Then I included several different types of pens and markers for writing. There where tons of complaiments and I also had two ladies ask if I could make some for them and they would purchase it as a gift for another shower later in the season.

Then I made my antique pie plate bird feeder. It is made with 4 holes punched in the bottom so I could string my beads and wire. When you run the wire there is a trick to make it so that the squirrels and heavy birds can not land on the feeder but those sweet little one's can eat all they want. I made these several years ago and sold them. Nick (my son) always loves to watch the birds eat so I thought he would enjoy it. You guessed it I took 4 orders for the bird feeders also that day.

I am sorry I forgot to take pictures - life around here is just off in the ditch.

Hope that gives you a few ideas. Oh by the way the seed I gave are from my pinion trees, sunflowers and a friends grain fields. All organic.

Well, better get off the computer. Bad weather is coming quickly.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  04:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Grace
How are you doing?? I can't believe the weather you are having there, you just are not getting any breaks!!! We had 90 here which is pretty warm for us and today is suppose to be warm with chances of storms coming in tonight so will see. The heat can make them nasty at times but we sure haven't had the nonstop like you.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:03:08 AM  Show Profile
grace I am hopeing the bad weather somehow passed right by you but in case it did not I hope it is gone now and all is well!!!!
I know somebody told me that angoras need their horns to let the heat out, so that is one reason I have not gotten one yet because my goat does not have any and neither does my little lambie pie so I was concerned with leaving ones on the angora. So, I had my sister who works at Michigan State University in the Vet. Dept ask one of the Vets there if that was true and she said no it is not. They pant through their mouth to get rid of the heat. So what do all of you think? Especially grace who has Angora's? Can they be disbudded like other goats?

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi gang - another bad weather night and the computer went on a misadventure. Everything was unplugged and still the darn thing wanted to act up.

Well Bev - I do not wish to go against Vet's but I can say first off I do not and will not remove horns from any goats. I know folks have tons of reasons (fencing issues, fighting issues, show issues and the list goes on) but I can say that all over the world goats have their horns. Just like dogs who get their tails and ears cut - it is because we think they look better, act better, win ribbons and such - it is not for the health of the animal. Yes goats pant but if you talk to any professional who studies animals with horns they will tell you that the horns do help in cooling but they also give the animal a way to protect themselves, they use them as additional hands, they use them to groom and scratch themselves, it is used in part of the mating rountines and yes, those with horns have less head trauma when butting heads. Also, I feel it is horrible to give such trauma to the little ones. I understand all the reasons why folks do it - for this farm and the animals under my care I do not. I must also say I have never had an animal (sheep or goat) with their horns on have a heat issue but I have been called to farms with animals down in our high altitude that did not make it and they all had no horns. We can also talk about the infections, the screwed up attempts and their horrible conclusions, the vet costs and expense and the trauma. Well, now I will step off my soap box because I know there a others who would say it is cruel not too. I just know that if Mother Nature but them there I do not take it off.

Good luck.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page