grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Rae I am very proud of you - I too have that height issue and three rungs are about all I can manage on a very good day. I have tried many things to get over it but it is still a big one for me.

Monica what would I do - Spin, Spin, Dye, Blend, Spin, Spin and teach... The problem is with all the work around the farm it eats up time. With folks financial issues I just can not go out and hire folks like I did in the past because I can not depend on the high end customers opening their wallets like they did and don't even get me started on the cost of feed. When I started in this I could bring in a semi load of alfalfa for the same price as a flat bed truck load today. Then also the issue of farms going belly up so fast if you can find feed you are luck. Last year we all learned how to live without straw for bedding and with all the rains many crops have been ruined. I so LOVE what I do but somedays I would love to just sit and spin and not worry or work till I can not even bother to chew a meal. Don't get me wrong I could not think of doing anything other then what I do but I have a large place that I really do not need anymore and it feels like smaller might be nicer? Maybe I just need a nap and a nice snow fall.....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I wish I was closer because then I would come and help! I know what you mean about a smaller place would be nice! My mom has a 4 bedroom house on 5 acres all to her self and she would love to move and get a smaller place! It has been absolutely beautiful here the past few days! It was only 68 this morning!

Hope you all have a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Just returned to the farm from my outting. Rae the shear went out bright and early at the post office so they soon will be in your hands.

Sheri soon the wedding will be behind you - so I included you in my day in town. You had a great time at the library where I picked up my 36 books I had placed on hold. I had not planned on that many most had a me as number 5 ot 8 on the wait list so I am not sure if everyone took a break from reading. They are all arts and crafts books,so I am planning for new inspiration. We then had a lovely lunch at my favorite Mexican Resturant and then off to the movie. I enjoyed it (not my normal horror or alien movie) and it brought back great memories of watching Julia was I was a little girl. Then off to the market and then back to the farm. I don't know about you Sheri but I thought it was a great day...

Monica I sure wished you where closer too - not for the extra hands but I know we would have a great time together. Besides just think of all the fiber trouble I could get you into... Not to mention you could use my large electric carder anytime you wanted. Monica the baby goat could also use some hugs and kisses - she was very mad that I was gone today, even the chickens gave me a talking to when I go home. Boy, can't a girl have one day off???

Have a great night ladies - I am opening up all those books from the library with a tall glass of Iced Tea. Night all...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  8:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I can imagine that you would get me into all kinds of fiber trouble! We would have a wonderful time!!!!! OHHHHH I would love to give Monica hugs and kisses! I have it all figured out!!! I will win the lottery and buy the farm and I will build you a nice smaller house at the farm so you are close to help me with learning how to raise animals and you can keep the shop and spin and teach and dye and spin and teach and dye to you hearts content! Sounds like a plan to me!

If any one I know deserves a day off, It's you! Hope they all get over it!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 07 2009 8:28:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  05:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Grace!!! You do deserve a day off for sure.

It is our little town celebration this weekend, Ma & Pa Kettle Days in Kettle River The Fire Dept puts on a steak fry on Fri night, plus Queen crowning and dance. Hubby worked late so we missed that but will head in for the parade this morning. One of my grandsons said he is standing by me cause my friend is in the parade and has candy
Will relax a tiny bit today and tomorrow as Monday starts hubby vacation and major work here on the farm!! I really can't wait though my sheep will be home.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  07:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Grace - we sure had a good time didn't we?? I am sewing up a storm today (if I am lucky and there is no new crisis). Seems like every time I get good momentum, I get another phone call. I would just let the voice mail get it but I have to be on hand to make medical decisions for my friend (I have the POA on her medical). It is really cool here today - down right chilly after our mini heat wave. Almost feels like fall is in the air.

How many craft books are we dancing through today, Grace? Hope "we" get some great inspirations!!!

Have a great day all.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:10:29 AM  Show Profile
Good Sunday morning, girls. You've all been busy in my absence! Rae...from your dates I see tomorrow the fun begins...hammering, digging, tamping and stretching fence. What fun it will be to stand back and admire it all. I see sheep on your horizon and if Grace has anything to do with it, maybe a goat or 2?

Grace, you have me smiling as usual...36 books and your business and critters. You have the energy of a tornado. It's all good. I was very sorry to hear about your friend, Dixie. That's why we all need to live full-tilt-boogie as my brother would say. You just never know what kind of hand you're going to be dealt next so ante up while you can, right?

And Sheri, my heart broke as I read your story about your dear girlfriend and your dilemma of being so far away and on-call, etc. I do know that feeling oh so well and I am praying for the whole situation too.

Monica, you made me laugh hard with the monkey comment. We all have our own set of "critters" to contend with, don't we?

Sarita is gone entertaining the "folks"...wonder how that's going? What's up with Beverley?

Luna, it's great to see you here and "back" from the divorce trenches and into full swing on your fiber/sheep business. I wish you nothing but the best on that.

Well, we've been doing the sheep shuffle around here. Marketed the last of our meat lambs yesterday, 13 stragglers but they all made weight and I wanted to get them out of here as our pastures are drying up and the earlier in the season the better the prices although yesterday wasn't any banner day.

Have been selling breeding stock like crazy the last few days and lots of inquiries are coming in. Go figure...here I marketed a ton of purebred Texel ewe lambs for meat and now I could have sold them all for brood ewes at a much better price but hey...I can't predict the future and gotta go with a sure thing.

Separated ram lambs out yesterday and they are now in their own pasture. Another group to water and do minerals and check on. They are looking good though.

Got a few cull ewes sold for pet/lawnmowers and separated them out yesterday for pickup tomorrow.

On the fiber side of things, got the knit patterns about ready except for a catchy name for the Coopworth lace scarf and I am holding a contest on my blog for this. You can see the post in the Across the Fence forum or just go to my blog for the contest info. http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34590 I hope I did that URL right. Would love to have you gals participate! Contest ends August 15th.

Hubby is on a pack trip in the back-country/wilderness with horses, dog and a friend this week. I am holding down the fort while he's off doing the mountain man, male bonding, whiskey drinking good time that they have each year. He comes home about sick from all of the above. It's like sending a kid off to his favorite camp. Too funny!!! He's a great husband and farm partner so glad he's getting some Me time. I actually enjoy the time to myself. I enjoy my own company and I think we all should.

On a very personal note, my mother has been diagnosed with cancer and I've been traveling to see both her and my dad (4 hours away one way) and take her to the doctor, etc. It's not totally terrible news as the cancer was biopsied from her gallbladder which was removed 4 weeks ago and maybe it was contained within the gallbladder but the not so good news is that her gallbladder was so adhered to her liver and other gut parts that it had to be removed in pieces and surgeon isn't sure he got every single bit of it out. He thinks he did. She has had several abdominal surgeries and her guts are kind of a mess and not easy to operate on. Getting old ain't for sissies we've decided.

Sorry for the novel. Been gone too long.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  09:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Great to have you back in the fold Jami - and prayers are to you and yours. I know that routine all too well and it wears but we will do our best to send all the energy you need. Neck this tornado has a bit to give...

Glad to hear the sheep are sold, sorted and moved - that is the dance we have come to do each time this year. Excited for you to have a bit of "ME" time - I think folks have gotten out of the habit of been a good friend to ourselves so we can give that to others. Sounds like hubby is going to have a great time - I miss those mountain days so I will have to live it thru others for now.

As for myself, I spent the evening cleaning and reorganizing my my kitchen, pantry and food storage. Six hours later everything is just so and I then started on the linen and hall cupboards. I must admit when I start these types of things I go nuts.... Not far to go I know but I become driven. Yes, to some I am much like that guy "Monk" (love the show) where everything has to line up, be even, labeled exactly and even in some case alphabetical... Nuts I know..

Today, more of the same and depending on the weather outside work too. I am loving the books and gathering some great new plans for that fabric that is sitting calling to me each time I pass. I also have this years fiber boys to shear but I must gather my strength before starting that - shearing one handed while holding horns is a task that requires strength and a willing back - timing is everything.

So ladies have a great Sunday - make it a full and healthy one.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Sheri prayers out to you and your parents. You must be getting pretty close to exhausted with all you have been doing.

Grace I really think you a very sane. Don't we all line things up and have to have them just right. Like reading the paper for instance, people know they need to let me go first because I have an exact order that it is to be done in and if they mess it up then I can't and well... there goes Sunday

Yes tomorrow we begin. Our to do list is not pretty ladies but it is only 2 pages long, ok so it is legal size note pad but could be worse, right ??

Will keep you all up to date.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  5:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Jami, Sounds like you have been busy too! I checked out the scarf on your blog. It's really pretty. Then I went and checked out Janelle's blog and about an hour later after getting totally lost in blog land I remembered I was checking out the scarf!! I have some new yarns on my blog! I actually managed to get 2 yarns completely finished and I am half way done with 2 more! I haven't had a chance yet to list them on etsy! I will do that tonight.

Grace, Sugar's fiber is such a dream to spin! I just love it! There was a lady on yahoo spinning looking for Mohair locks for doll hair so I told her about you! Hopefully she will get in touch with you!

Rae, I will be praying for good weather for you! I hope all starts off well!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday all,
I have not read all the post for about a week or 2, so I will get caught up soon. Company went well, the anticipation is what is the killer. Things have been very busy here: sheep, 2 new GPxMarrema puppies, teaching Med classes 2 days in Chillicothe (fifty miles to the west), corn, green beans canning and freezing, gardening, putting in fall crops, haying, hubby on vacation, company here, and getting ready to go back to work at the school. Today I teach CPR classes and tomorrow First Aide classes. Whew...life is full right now for me and it sounds like all of you!
So sad to read of all the illness. I will be praying for all you, your family and friends. God bless you and keep you in his love and grace and give you strength to endure all life throws at you.
Love, joy, peace, prosperity, and happiness and many blessings for all.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am so glad to hear that all went well with your company! Many blessings to you also!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, so glad to hear all is well with you and you're able to keep busy. That's a blessing now, isn't it? To be able...

Grace, again you have me laughing at the Monk comment and the alphabetical system in your pantry and so forth. I'm lucky to just keep things clean enough to avoid any major diseases around here lately. Well, that is what it feels like! Today I am back to work plus got a gal picking up 3 aged ewes for lawnmowers. Just trimmed feet and dewormed them. Then I plan to clean out the bedroom closet and tomorrow hit the Goodwill and the dump. While hubby is gone I'm going to get cut throat about a few items around here---they are going to mysteriously disappear! Ha.

Thanks for visiting the blog and checking out the scarf, Monica. I am having fun seeing the names that folks are submitting.Had to laugh about your blogland comment. I do the same thing and get lost in there too. Like me driving in the city--"where am I?"

Sarita, how are the new LGD's doing? Any issues with them chewing on sheep or anything like that? I am going to be watching you on this as someday I know we're going to be needing to give Sterling a hand as he ages and I have no clue.

Well, I gotta get to all of the above. Enjoy this Monday. We've got a bit of a cloud cover and it's keeping the temps bearable today with a nice breeze going.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  5:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Sarita when do you go back to work at the school? In MN we can't start until after Labor Day. This year it may be a blessing as so much I hope to get done before I go back. Glad all went well.

Well the work is beginning here and the week is supposed to be pretty decent so far so ..... away we go

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Cross off things from that list, Rae!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Aug 10 2009 6:45:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jami I am and it is a LONG list, outside and inside lists but nice to see a line go through as we complete an item.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  1:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rae, I think I am having your aches and pains - I know that sometimes just looking at the list can wear you out but celebrate even the small things you can cross off. Fencing is a long, hard project and it is never ending. Sunday I worked on some of the snow fence that was knocked down by a herd of antelop that tried to jump it and instead knocked a big portion of it down. Tomorrow I will be working on the seven foot high fences that I have - the breeding billies when the got into it last winter took it out on some of the fence, so Grace to the rescue!!!

I am with you in spirit, hammer and pliers.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  08:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I hope all is going well! Don't get too overwhelmed with your list! I remember one day I had got a bunch of stuff done in the morning and then I got my list out because I was going to cross off what I had gotten done! Lo and behold not one thing I had done was on the list! It was kind of discouraging so I went a head and wrote all the things I had done and crossed them off! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  08:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes I have done that trick add and cross off Things are going along. Had company last night and the hubby told mine he has 3 boxes of vinyl siding we can have!!! We so love free stuff and certainly find homes for stuff around here.
Plans are for tractor to come today and start moving some down trees out of the way for fencing. Hubbies dad has one and just is down the road a mile or so, so not too far to go to get it,
thank heavens!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. Sounds like you are really getting things done this week Rae. I know how hard fencing is but it's so worth it in the end. I have been so totally snowed working on wedding stuff and dealing with my friend's medical decisions (I hold her POA). The good news is she finally came out of her coma and started talking on Monday and is slowly getting her memory back. I was beginning to worry that she would never come out of it all the way. Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers, I am certain they helped.

Glad you survived your reunion, Sarita. I really like the scarf, Jami. My brain is on overwhelm and couldn't come up with any kichy names for you but I am certain you will find a great one.

Grace, how are "we" doing on those craft books? Any new ideas? Gotta run and get to work again. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. It must have been a real busy day for everyone yesterday. I know it sure was for me. I finally got all the dresses sewed - no more machine work just sewing on buttons and tacking down linings. Whew. Today I am finally back to doing "normal" stuff ie canning tomatoes. My garden looks like a weed bomb went off in it - I don't think it's ever been so weedy ever. Just shows how busy I've been. It's starting to feel like fall already - it was only 43 this morning. I know it's supposed to warm up again next week but for now it brings the need to can to the forefront. My kids lovingly call it "prairie mode" - when I shift into high gear and am canning up a storm. I know my sheep have sure loved this cooler weather - they have been a lot more active during the day than they have been for a couple of months.

Hope the fencing is progressing nicely, Rae. Did you benefit from the cooler temps Jami? Gotta get moving and get some jars into the dishwasher. Have a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, great to hear things are better for you and your friend too. What a blessing to be a friend and have a friend. And the dresses! Yeah! Gosh, you've been under some stress, girl.

Oh, the weed bomb exploded here too. I think it was that hot weather. I watered more and the weeds went kaboom. I have been weeding the last couple of days in the cool weather and have made a dent but it needs more. It's 60-something this morning with a brisk wind. I am not going to run around the block as I feel chilled this morning. I need to make myself a fall ensemble for my walks. Finding the fabric is the hard part.

Moving out the rest of the cull ewes tomorrow morning and getting in the alfalfa hay tonight for pre-lambing feed in the early spring. Prices are down nicely, about $100 ton cheaper than last year. I still have some rams to market but otherwise, I'm closing the front gate and we're set for another breeding season.

Rae, may your fencelines and muscles be taut after this adventure!

Have a good weekend girls. Going to award the prize for the scarf on Saturday. Going to be hard to choose.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Aug 14 2009 08:33:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  08:50:45 AM  Show Profile
Looks like everyone has been as busy as I have. I finally have all the dresses finished and the brides head piece done!!!!hooray Now it's on to working on the flowers for the wedding cake. I am sculpting them from gum paste and then hand tinting them with flower dust. Hope all is well with everyone. How's the fencing going Rae? Ready for the heatwave again, Jami? Got spoiled with the cooler temps.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  7:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies

No I did not fall off the planet - like everyone else it is busy, busy, busy.... Sheri great to hear that the sewing is done and the cake flowers are next - I love making flowers for cakes and candies...
As for the books we finished all of them and gathered up another round of a dozen - they go back on Friday for the next bunch. Tons of ideas I gathered when this tired body could not work anymore in the evenings. I have been tearing the house apart room by room - cleaning, reorganizing and yes finding new homes for somethings. I will be taking a bunch of items to my retail booth in the city. I even washed and reorganized my hair barretts - I told you I can be a real control/clean nut. As soon as I finish inside it is back outside to work. The weather has been storms every afternoon so inside cleaning was best.

Great to hear that everyone is keeping busy and checking those chores off the list - feels great. Well, I am back to work - sorry I got so focused I forgot to write. I am going to treat myself with the cobbler I made the other night - heck I even have a bubble bath planned for this evening - I sure live on the wild side

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  10:14:53 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I am so glad for you that the dresses are all done! I bet you are relieved! I hope all goes well with the flowers!

Grace, I was starting to wonder! It has been busy around here also! I am finishing up some yarn including Sugar's! Cobbler and a bubble bath sounds wonderful! I don't have a tub, so please enjoy it for me!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page