grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  3:50:50 PM  Show Profile
I figure as long as you do not get to be a problem then I leave you alone - nothing is allowed to go after my animals. As for mice, spiders, bugs well I must admit you cross my path YOUR DEAD. I also look at it this way - if you live where animals live you are going to lose sleep especially when you are surrounded by folks who think it is cute to feed the wild live - that is until the wild life eats their livestock.

As for the different dyeing processes I do it all. The biggest thing is not to move the fiber so much or change temps too much because you will felt wool then of mess up ringlets of the mohair or over process other fibers. I would say start simple and learn the basic techniques and then get fancy. There are wonderful books, sites and teachers - I have many and always find new techniques out there to try. I sell a couple that I call my bibles and do not carry every book out there because many are just saying the same thing. Start at the library and don't spend money until you know the basic steps then you can grow your library. As for dyeing batt's I use steaming techniques for those. I love to dye first card second because I can also have more creative control and I do a ton of dyeing yarns for even more creative control of color patterns and repeat designs. I also keep extensive records on my animals fiber and I have spent hundreds of hours being trained in fleece evaluation process of different animal breeds so I can determine the best process for each fiber that comes thru this farm or shop. If you dye a fleece that is damaged the wrong way you end up with a horrible mess for the trash but if you learn the art of evaluation you will end up with perfection every time.

Also, once the basic skills are mastered you then know how to play with great results - I love working with inks, salts, resins, plants, stains and metals. All give incredible results that you can not get from the standard recipes.

I love teaching dyeing and if you wish further information I will gladly go thru it - I know it is a boring subject to some..

Good luck and keep those hands multi colored.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  3:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Grace, What dyeing book do you carry? I would like to get a book about dyeing, but there are so many out there and opinions vary greatly on some! I had read about one that a lady on yahoo spinning group said was great and then another lady said she didn't like the book at all! Right now hubby is helping me finish making a yarn blocker!!!! Yipee! Hopefully I can get him to build a drum carder soon! I am trying to convince hubby to let me get an angora goat from a farm here in Arizona! They said I could have her for $50.00 She is 3 months old and I am desperately trying to talk hubby into it! Then later I will come and get Monica!!!!!!!grin!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Monica are you wanting a book on commercial dyes or plant dyes?? That would help me narrow down the list.

I spent four hours Wednesday moving Sherlock over to the girls pen for breeding - such a Mom's boy - he loves me but sure was not willing to go over to the girls pasture. Finally Mishka helped me. She went with me giving me kisses all the way. Then when she met Sherlock she rubbed her head on his neck and they then walked behind me like the pipe piper. Once in the pasture Monica greeted him and then ran over to the guard dog like "No I am too young and this is my boyfried". Monica is such a sweet one - Cheif the guard dog licked her face and they both took a late afternoon nap together. Sherlock is being such a gentlemen just like his dad was "Thor" my sweetest grand champion billy.

So you know what this means "BABIE" or should I say "KIDS".
Happy Dance, Happy Dance.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  08:45:15 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday everyone. Long weekend. Have been picking and washing fleeces while the warm temps last. I still have a couple more to go. I canned tomatoes yesterday again. I sure wish I could send you some, Grace. I have never had Romas this big. I have definately been blessed this year. We frosted last night but it's too early to tell how much of the garden went down. Had a skunk in my chicken house a couple of nights ago - the bugger is stealing the eggs....I'm not sure what I am going to do about that. It's not like I want to run into him in the chicken house and I almost did. My dog was making a ruckus and I went over thinking it was the old tom cat that tends to mouse in there, I opened up the door to look in and there was the skunk. I backed out in a hurry and grabbed the dog and put him in the house and then went back and pounded on the door in hope I would scare the skunk off. It's been a bit "thin" in the egg dept. the last few days but that isn't always unusual at the change of seasons either. I might have to borrow a trap from my neighbor.

Hope you are feeling better again, Grace. How are things going in the goat romance department? How are your fences etc. coming Rae? Hope your Mom is doing ok, Jami - I am keeping her and you in my prayers.

Back to the dying issue - I am interested in both types of dying but would like the least caustic route. Is there a commercial dye that is less caustic than another? I am interested in plant dying as well especially if I can grow some of the plants myself. I have been checking out the book "The dyers garden" - is that a good book and have you ever read it? I hate to buy a book that doesn't have usable information but the reviews on Amazon have been good on that one.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  08:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday, girls. Sounds like you're all being very productive and harvesting and trying to get the chores completed before the fall and winter weather arrives.

I have the rams stinking up the place with their "musk" smell as the ewes are starting to cycle with the shorter daylight hours. A few girls are hesitant to leave the ram area (across their fence) to go out and graze even! We're going to move the rams to a different pasture because we are not breeding yet. Yesterday, DH went out to mow a dried up pasture of its weeds that we just rotated off of and lo and behold, here is a ewe lamb on her back...not dead but she'd been there a while, overnight I would guess. Flipped her over...not dead but not getting up either. Ran to the house to get some vitamin/electrolyte solution, Nutri-drench and a vitamin B shot for her. Got back down there and she was trying to get up, real wobbly. Got close and she took off like a drunken sailor but slowly we pushed her down toward the water troughs but she diverted into the pasture gate with the others in their new pasture. She met up with her mother who sniffed her over well and all is well now. Odd. I've heard of that happening but have never had it happen to us! Gosh, it was hard to believe she was an 09 lamb...beautiful big girl I'm so glad I kept her but I hope she doesn't get herself in a jam again like that! Surprised the coyotes didn't take advantage of it considering the guard dog was locked in with the ewes in their night paddock and there she was ripe for the pickin'. Always something new with the sheep.

Mom is holding her own, in the hospital the last week for some problems and had a surgery again (#6) but nothing could be fixed due to the cancer spreading so they sewed her back up and started chemo...only option left. Man, she's tough. Been traveling a lot to see her.

Rode my new horse, Molly, pushing cows on Saturday. That's the first time she's been with cows and after a teensy "rodeo" with a cow coming after her, she settled in nicely and we pushed them 5 miles to a new pasture. It was fun since we haven't ridden much lately.

Enjoyed reading through your posts and hearing your news. Sound like a bunch of busy farmgirls trying to deal with weather, what's ailin' ya and critters and kids. Happy trails until I check in again. Hugs.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  09:18:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi all!! Well this Saturday is my work date for sheep shed and fence and of course rain in forecast but that is a long way off and the guessers could be wrong. Suppose to be in 60's so be nice working weather. I have a good crew coming too so could get quite a bit done.

Busy with the garden. My gosh stuff is coming like crazy. Good Lord has really blessed us with produce I thought we would never get. Guess those 80' and 90 this month are what have pushed it through. I am very thankful but long days working all day and going home to can and also try get ready for Sat. Things are moving forward at least.

Prayers with you Jami and your Mom. Hope everyone is doing great.
Jami how exciting though to find a little lamb, I am jealous but in a good way
Take care everyone.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  09:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Tried to respond to this topic last week and computer ate my response. Gotta love technology. Not. :^)

So, so busy getting ready for my first dressage test on Sunday. My first horse show ever, but my 12-year-old daughter rode in her first show a month or so ago and I'm taking courage from the fact that she lived through it. LOL!! I've only had my horse since last fall and it was such a thrill to write in "All That Jazz" under "Name of Horse" in the show application and then write my own in as rider/owner.

Sheri - the fleece is coming along...slow going, but it's making lovely batts. And it made me decide to get my own Coopworth so I can cover the fleece and not go through this again. So I've contacted a highly recommended breeder nearby and am buying one of this year's ewe lambs to add to my little flock. It's very exciting! I hope the other girls like her.

In other silly barn news I accidentally exposed a nest of baby mice in the chicken coop while I was cleaning and I was so worried that the momma mouse wouldn't be able to find them all, but I kept checking and by the end of the day all the babies were gone so I assume she relocated them all (and saved me from raising yet another baby mouse on kitten formula...I know, I know, everyone says I shouldn't bother, but they're so cute!!)

After my show there are 3 fiber festivals in a row!! Goodness, and they say Spring is the shepherd's busiest season!!!

Hope you're all doing well and getting some of this wonderful fall sunshine.

Céleste

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - it is snowing here at the Funny Farm... Managed to get the decks done and some caulking done on the windows. Took Sunday off to spin some silk because just when I thought this stomach bug was over it hit me again last night. Up all night and I think I must have lost another five pounds.. This is so unlike me - even my Mom stated that she could never remember me haning on to a bug this long - well, I think I will check all the food and make sure I am not having some bad food in the house.

Anyway on a good note Sherlock is finally settling into his job in the girls barn but I must laugh because he is so much like his father. You will find him napping with the dog and the youngest smallest girls. Everytime I come in to do chores he greets me with rubs and licks - just a true gentlemen. I know what you mean Jami about the smell - I have nineteen guys trying to out do themselves - great thing it is snowing - they have all sat down and knocked off the "Boy Stuff". Your real lucky with that little ewe - did she eat something that might have sent her into unbalance?? I sure would watch her closely because she may have found some goodie to eat that is causing her problems.

Glad to hear your Mother is hold on - sometimes all that get's us thru is our tuff spirit. I still hold you and yours in my prayers - I went thru that with my father - I am there with you in spirit.

Sheri that dye books in on my self and get's used my favorite if you are going to get into natural dyes is one that is very hard to find - in fact I think it might be out of print but I do have one on my shop shelf - it is call North American Dye Plants - it is great also if you wish to gather plants when you are out on walks or if you are determining what to plant. It gives over 750 color identifications. "A Dyer's Garden" deals with the basic plants that most would plant in a garden - what colors they will make with what mordants and also how to care for the plants. "Lichen Dyes - The New Source Book" is one that really is a interesting style of dyeing which if you live in areas where Lichen grow then you have a weath of information in this book. The easiest book to use for beginners would be "The Complete Natural Dyeing Guide" very user friendly covers everything to get you started and I sell alot of these because it really is not overwhelming. Most experienced dyers love "Wild Color" great photo's, tons of info and also deals with plants that are not always in the norm. I also love the way you can see the exact changes in color when different mordants are used. The pictures are true to the colors you will get in the pot and also she walks you thru why we do certain things. Last is my Bible - "Guide to Dye Plants for Dyeing Wool and Textiles - this one is very hard to find and when I placed a few copies on Etsy they sold in an hour... This gives you everything put pictures. So there are my top picks for natural but I have many more in my shop and on my own bookshelf.

As for the Commercial dyes that gets into a whole other talk. Since I have an organic farm and do no wish also to add to the pollution of our ground water you really have to be mindfull. There is a couple of new companies out there that say they are enviornmentally safe but I have not tried them. I personally use Cushings and Country Classic but I also have over the year created my own recipes with these to make sure that my water run clear and also my ph is neutral when it is to be dumped. All of this depends on if you are on well, city, if you have septic, or sewer and so on. Just because you might be hooked into city does not mean we want to be having things still being dumped into our water systems but it does mean will the water be treated before being let go our will it be sitting in a leach field on your place. I know - tons of info to throw your way but I am more then willing to answer any specific questions you might have - this process I have been teaching myself for 13 years now and still I am revising and learning more from others - when my fellow fiber folks get together there is always tons of chatter on this topic. As for the books let me know if you can't find them - they are sitting here waiting for new homes.

Celeste, How exciting about your horse - I am sure you both did great!!! Love the name - that is one of my favorite movies in fact watched it just about two weeks ago. I am sure you will like your new lamb as well - somewhere in my personal stash I have some Coopworth from a dear friend.

Well, this posting is long enough and I think I am going to tuck myself back into bed for a while - still snowing - fine by me but I still have to giggle the news stations act as if we never get snow here..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  05:56:47 AM  Show Profile
I cannot believe I have missed this post, or the Tail Spun on the Sewing forum! I am a weaver, and to me, the natural next step is spinning, and from there dying the yarn (natural dyes -- I'm already planning out a dye garden). I'm looking for a wheel, and my next step (after learning to spin, of course), is to get som Pygora goats and Angora rabbits. I'm figuring the fiber animals are still about 18 monts or so down the road, but I'm the kind that likes to research first, anyway. My neighbor raises Nigerians, so she's willing to teach me basic goat care. But I also need to know all the other stuff that comes with fiber animals. Questions like feed types, shearing, housing, fencing, how the weather affects them differently (we live in Louisiana, and just as an example, it hit triple digits here in June) -- anything that may be over and above what is required for non-fiber animals. And, most importantly, is there anyone within a 200-mile radius of northwest Louisiana that raises these animals? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with having them shipped, or if I can even afford that. Do y'all recommend any books? Any websites? Do y'all have any input, advice, suggestions? Like I said, I'm in the research phase, and am open to anything! Grace, thanks for starting this website! And, by the way, I'm also a BIG fan of your yarn! Wow! I wonder if I can ever get that good!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  07:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Julie you will love it here!! I have and am learning so much much about everything but most important my soon to be sheep. The ladies here are so knowledgeable!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  09:07:43 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Welcome Julie. Hope all is going well for everyone. It's finally warmed up after two chilly days so I am back to picking and washing fleeces. It looks like the temps will hold for the next few days so I might just get it all done before the cold finally sets in. I'm glad it's not me that's getting snow. I smelled wood fires on the breeze this morning tho so my neighbors are burning their wood stoves this morning. I haven't resorted to that yet - just added another layer of clothes. I know my sheep are sure enjoying these cooler temps.

Thanks for the info on the dying issue. I am going to search out the books you suggested. Who is the author of the Complete Natural Dyeing Guide? There is one listed on Amazon that is due to be released in Feb. of next year vs. the one listed for over $200. I have a septic system and really don't want to run a bunch of caustic chemicals down the drain. When I have used commercial dyes for my veneers, I use such small amounts and I don't run it down the drain. I almost paint with it using a thickener.

Guess I should get to work - daylight is burning. Have a great day everyone. Hope you are feeling better again, Grace. How is your lamb doing, Jami?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope you are feeling better! I got to look at the house we may be moving to yesterday and OH BOY!!! I am going to have to sort through every thing and narrow it down! There is not as much space for all of my craft stuff at all! I don't even know where to start! The great thing is that the kids will have nice bedrooms! Where we are at now they have very,very tiny rooms! I honestly have no idea where to start to sort through all of the fabric and craft supplies! All I can figure is first the fiber and all that goes with me and then the fabric and my sewing machines including the 2 cabinet machines. I will be able to fit one of my big desks and I am hoping I can fit both of them! There is a partially enclosed porch that I can store stuff on, but I am still going to have to clear out a bunch of stuff! It has a wonderful front porch that will be perfect to sit out on in the summer!
Well back to work!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. It seems that we are to have record temps today - 90. That's pretty hot for Sept. Of course it frosted a couple of nights ago. Another day picking and washing wool. Good time for drying. It won't be long and the warm weather will just be a distant memory. I am going to savor every heat increment that comes my way even tho I prefer it a bit cooler. Fall is in the air temps not withstanding - the leaves are starting to turn here and there and there is a definate nip on the wind in the morning.

I don't envey you Monica - I really do detest sorting and trying to decided what to get rid of. It always makes a bigger mess than when I started. Hopefully you will find a way to fit most of it in your new digs. It's really hard to part with equipment or supplies!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable and productive day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  10:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, That is exactly my problem! I always end up with a bigger mess than when I started! I am packing my wheel and all fiber stuff first and then I will have to figure out what to do with the rest! The one thing about clearing stuff out is that things will not be so cluttered! Hope your weather cools off! Ours has been really nice here!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - the snow stopped flying and the sun is out - just like Colorado.

I don't think there is anything worse then trying to get our stashes under control... I don't know if it is the economy, getting older, just tired or what but Monica your not alone. I have talked with so many who are downsizing farms, animals, homes, stashes - you name it because I also think we have all realized that when we can not live in the NOW because we have put our minds on the past or future - well at some point when we realize that it is all too much we start downsizing. Some folks are doing it because they have to some folks are doing it because they want to and some of us just are doing it because...
I wish you well Farmgirl Sister on the path to destashing, decluttering and determination....

Here is a question to all the animal breeders out there - what are your routines for getting those girls ready for breeding season?? One of mine is I purchase pumpkins and then smash them on the ground all over the pasture to get those girls full of minerals and good stuff also by doing this all over the pasture they get walking more, no fighting over one or two of them and I also feed the ground. It is funny because this year I found pumpkins sprouting in the pastures in early spring. It is also great feed for the birds which keeps them out of the barns.

O.K. your next.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  3:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi all! i have a serious question for you goat people! i just got a bred nanny, half nubien/half kiko we have no clue how soon she will have her baby (or babies *fingers crossed*). this is her second pregnancy. it is winter in alaska and we just got our first snowfall after the most amazing fall ever! my question is what to feed and how much?? she will be getting sweet feed (all breed) and hay but how much?? does she need any specials to help with the pregnancy? she will have shelter but it wont be heated until the babies come then just slightly warmed. we just dont have the facilities to heat thoroughly. she is used to being outdoors year round with very minimal shelter. i gave her a little feed and a flake of hay and you would have thought she hadnt eaten in a month of sundays tho she does look healthy. she has a belly but i dont think she is bagging yet. any and all suggestions would be so appreciated!! please before you freak at unheated shelter remember that she is used to it! my biggest concerns are that she will be having the baby in winter and how much to feed her. she is used to getting just browse and i do not want to make her sick with too much food. i tend to give all my animals as much as they will eat *grin* peace to all connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  3:45:17 PM  Show Profile
Another food question for sheep. Can they have corn stalks and the greens from carrots as well?? What about corn on the cob?
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  8:43:14 PM  Show Profile
and yet another question re food for goats. My brother-in-law has a huge flower garden which he is cleaning up for the season. He is in the process of digging his cannas. Many! His friend has goats. He fed the goats corn shucks and they loved them. He would like to know if he could feed them the canna leaves? Does anyone know if they would be toxic to the goats, or would they be okay? Thanks.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Connie, Great to hear from you! I can't answer your question, but I am sure some of the other ladies can! I hope all is going well with you! How is your hubby doing?

Grace, I have definitely realized I have way too much! I have 10 large storage containers of fabric on my porch and that doesn't include the other 4 in the utility room or the stack of fabric on my cutting table which I haven't seen the top of for months now!!! On top of all of that I have my fiber, paints. beads, craft supplies, quilting stuff etc. The one thing I don't have is time to use any of it because I am always cleaning!!! I am so with you on the yurt idea! A nice simple uncluttered life would suit me fine! I actually listed my first stuff on Craigslist and it is so super easy to list on! I am so close to just pitching stuff right out the front door! I have to laugh though because yesterday I found this little antique Romanian spinning wheel that I could get for $100.00 and of course hubby said "NO WAY" mostly because of all of the stuff I already have! We should know today for sure about the house and then I really will have to destash!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Connie great to read you again - congrat's on the nanny. I would say that a couple of flakes a hay (good quality) a day and no more then 4 cups of grain at the most. My girls only get heat lamps when a baby is on the ground but good bedding (straw or cow hay) will keep her plently warm. I found that if you have great hay with some alfalfa that is all the need and if you feed her several times in the day she will soon regulate herself and then you do not have to worry. They can get sick with too much grains so watch that. Also a good mineral block or you can do lose but in the cold it sometimes get's moisture in it and then it is a mess. I purchase mineral tubs that way they can not spill it and I have a new feed container when it is gone. Plently of water is keep so if the temps drop then you might consider a heated bucket but what I do is just have many small buckets that I can change out. If your girl does not drink enough then the cold will get to her. carrot tops are o.k. but not in any large amounts. No lettuces but up where you are those are not around in the winter unless you have a green house. No too much cabbage either - they can bloat from that and could die. I would say until you know her better keep her diet simple so there is less chance of anything going wrong.
Hope that helps but please feel free to ask questions there are some great ladies here who are very willing to help.

As for the Canna leaves - I will have to look those up- I do not off the top of my head remember what they are? I will be back unless someone else knows.

Got to run but great to have you here Connie I sure have missed talking.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  3:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Update on the fencing and shed... We had help and got going good but as we were digging corner post holes and shed holes could only get down a couple feet. We were using a tractor and auger but...the soil, clay, was so hard it wouldn't go through. We have a bit of a drought here and I can not believe how dry it is. As the guys shoveled out stuff it was as dry as could be!!!
Did get posts in and Kev is bracing them now and then we will put up fence this week. Hopefully we will get some of this rain to soften it up and bit so can get shed going. Son will come over during week and son-in-law said he would be around next weekend to help out.
You know if we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any at all!!! Oh well I know it will work out, send some prayers our way and snow to hold off. Talking about first frost the next 2 eves so pulling tomatoes like crazy as well. Won't be a hard one so carrots and potatoes and the such will be ok.
How is everyone else doing???
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  5:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks grace. so far the only thing i have fed rachel besides a small amount of grain and good hay (as much as she wants) is potato peels. what about feeding sugar snap pea plamts? i have about a 40 ft row of them and i know i cant feed them to the chickens and not sure aobut the cow but would like someone to get good out of them. our neighbors already butchered their pigs or i would give them to her.
i too have missed being here. not sure how often but will try to get here more than i have of late. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I will absolutely be praying that the snow holds off for you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  08:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Rae, hope the weather stay still for you - I know it is hard to get all the outside work done when weather is the enemy. This weekend I worked so hard outside that I can barely get my arms up onto the table to type.

Connie - snap peas are O.K. but I do this with goats, just a little at a time and wait to see how they do. They are like little kids and when they are given something new they can pig out. My goats have been with me so long that they know there will always be more so there is no need to pig out. If you have a goat who has been hungry for too long they can pig out on anything and then get into trouble. You might price out what dried beet pulp costs up there. It is a good heat source during the winter. Now what you have to do is add some warm water, let it swell up and then feed about a cup per feeding. It will give her the sugar energy to really get her body warm. This is in addition to her hay. Do not feed it dry because it can swell in the tummy and cause problems especially if she is expecting. Go lite on the potato peels because potatoes of a poison to goats if eat very much. When it comes to feed I know it is expensive so I would look for food sources close to home. Vegation around you is where to start. See around here we have scrub oak - great for goats, deadly for expecting Llamas and Alpacas. Pine branchs great to goats and llamas but not if they are expecting. Wild roses great for expecting moms - even for us humans. I do not know what is growing close by but well worth the check out.

Great to have you here no matter how often. With my first snow here I was thinking of you. We are two snow bunnies....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Grace can sheep eat corn stalks and corn on the cob, raw? How about the greens as well as the carrot? Just looking for a couple other things for them. We should probably have the fence up this week and if we can get the posts in for shed they can come HOME.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page