oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Don't put it up too soon! In fact don't bother listing it at all, just let me know what I owe you for it! haha!! Oh how I wish!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  09:16:48 AM  Show Profile
So what is everyone doing with this three day Holiday???

I tried to explain to a lady in town that everyday is a work day but when you are doing what you love it doesn't seem like work!! That being said I am hoping to tackle the decks if the rain stays away. The weather guessers just can not make up their mind and I have to have 24 before and after I get this stupid stain on again with no moisture. After only one year (said on the can to last 25 years) and a ton of time and money I am having to redo it all. Home Depot said it is not their problem because the 25 year thing is only in California - Yup only in California but that does not say it on the can or ads. Then they also said because I have a deck that faces West and one that faces East - it is too much sun - come on you have got to be kidding me..... My favorite statement they gave me was to pay a professional to come out and blast the deck and have them do it redo it that way when it comes off next year the contract will be stick redoing it on their dime... Can you believe it and folks wonder why I do not interact with the masses very often. I admit it - I almost went postal at Home Depot. Then they stated they would give my money back only after the stupid company has sent a letter saying their product is not as advertised - like that is going to happen. So I will try not to say too many four letter words this weekend as I scrap, sand and redo my decks. I am not promising anything but I will try!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  09:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Grace fire away!!! Who's going to hear you really, that is another benefit to farm living
Taking a break today to visit with my aunt, uncle and cousin this afternoon. Have not seen them for almost a year so need to take a break and visit.

The next 2 days will be spent like all, working. But as you said Grace when it is something you enjoy....Hubby only has a little ways to dig and then can get our power connected to garage. That will be a big blessing. Then on to sheep business. I do have help lined up on that end.

I have been busy with garden. Digging potatoes and onions every day. Have some cukes to deal with tonight or tomorrow and hopefully tomorrow a few more tomatoes. Did get one batch canned, YIPPPEEE! Was afraid I wouldn't get any as most around here aren't. Weather has been really nice so hopefully squash will make it as well. Chickens are laying well so able to sell a few eggs, every little bit helps.

Unfortunately back to work on Tuesday but I remind myself every paycheck brings us closer to staying home with the farm

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I would give them what for!!!!! I would contact the company because we have commercials here for stuff like Thompson's Water Seal that's supposed to last forever and it's just plain stupid to tell people that it the 25 years is only good in California! Then they should only sell it there! I am listing my yarn TODAY!!!! I tried to do it last night, but we got a thunderstorm that moved in really quick and I don't want the computer getting fried again! I think right now I am going to check and see if I have enough in pay pal to go buy the rest of Sugar's fiber! I really want to get some to spin boucle yarn!

Rae, Sounds like you have been busy! I think I am going to try to plant some veggies again!

Have a great day!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  07:50:07 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. I survived the wedding!! It was a long haul but everything got done and the day was beautiful and went off without a major hitch. I am so tired that if you blew on me I would fall over. My daughter is still here but is leaving this afternoon and then flying out to NY again tomorrow am. I think I need to sleep for a couple of days before I start canning again. I got a load of tomatoes with my name on them. We got a big wind/rain storm yesterday thay broke a big tree off over my driveway and knocked out the power - again. I swear I have had more power outages since they re-did the lines than I did before. At least it was the day after the wedding. The only hitch in the day was the yellow jackets. They are just vicious this year. We killed at least 22 nests before the event and still there were lots of them. There was about 82 people at the wedding so it was a good turn out. Anyway - I am just rambling I am so tired. Just wanted to say hi and let you know I am still alive (barely)!!

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  08:06:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!! I had a quick question for you all this morning...first I have to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that beaded single you posted Monica!!! Is that mohair?? It's BEAUTIFUL!! How did you do that??

Here's my question - I was given a Coopworth fleece that was super dirty, but is lovely for all that. I scoured it for 2 days...one day (and I'm talking like 7-8 rinses each day) with natural dish detergent, but the ends were still crusty, icky. So I thought, well it's because I didn't use Dawn which everyone swears by so I went out and bought Dawn the second day. It got out a little more, but the ends are still icky. I've been taking a flicker brush and flicking them off before carding because about 1 inch breaks right off. I've got a whole fleece here and wondered...is there a better way to go about this? Did I do something wrong? Is there a better way of scouring fleece and I should have done something else?

The remaining fiber is super lofty and lustrous so I'm perservering, but would welcome any tips/suggestions for next time or to deal with this big bag of what should have been lovely fleece. Thanks!!!

Céleste

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Celeste
Sounds like the tips are damaged and that can happen for many reasons. I hate to say it but you will be much better off in the long run if you do continue with flicking and breaking off those tips with the rest of the fleece. Otherwise it will be a horrible mess in the carder and the final batt. I might suggest in the future before starting to test those tips (I do that with every fleece I work on) that is to hold a locket with your fingers between you two hands, hold it up to your ear and listen for crackling sounds when you pull. If you hear that the fleece is unsound. Then I also also pull on the tips to see if they will break if so I do not purchase the fleece. I know you where given the fleece but still a free something that eats up time is not a gift...

Good luck and if I can be of any assistance let me know. I know the ladies here will also have some wonderful advice. Just consider this your TV work - I watch a good movie or something while doing flicker work.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  2:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Celeste, Thank you for the compliment on the yarn! Yes, it is mohair from Grace's goat Sugar and it was a dream to work with. In fact yesterday I bought the rest of it on her etsy page! I will say it was done with much patience! I spun a tight single and then strung about 800 beads and worked them down the single yarn. I then did a second plain single and plied it! The finished pic of it is on my etsy page if you want to check it out! It was the 2nd beaded yarn that I did and the first one was quite a learning experience! I put the story up on my blog, If you want to check that out!

As far as the fleece, I don't know that there is anything I can add to what Grace said!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  07:57:18 AM  Show Profile
Howdy Girls! Hey, weddings are over for this year, yippee! So proud of you mama's with the "goods" to host an event like that and the where-with-all to last through it. Take a rest Sheri and hope to hear from you again when you "come-to". : )

Grace, as always, you're the entertainment crew around here with the farm stories.

Monica, nice work, girl.

RE: the Coopworth fleece, I've had them "tippy" like that too. Usually our wind does it, the lanolin and dirt in the wool get beat over and over with our mighty winds and of course the tips take the brunt of it. Sometimes I'll just snip it off with scissors if the rest is really nice but I've got enough sheep now, I usually toss those out. I can be choosy now.

I've been busy gardening, enjoying some rainfall (delightful!), doing the sheep shuffle and dealing with my mom's health. She may be starting chemo this next week so been on the road getting her to an oncologist and setting up tests, etc. It's ovarian cancer including an expiration date...yuck. Sorry, but I think those are not worth their weight in beans. Nothing like taking the hope out of a person, huh? Don't worry too much if I'm not on here a lot...just kinda busy right now with breeding stock sales (folks wait til the last minute, ya know) and helping out with my mom and putting up garden stuffs.

Happy trails.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jami - I will keep your mother in my prayers and what do doctor's know - not everything! There are many folks walking this earth that was not suppose to be here. I send all my best to your family and know that we hold you in our hearts and prayers.

Congrat's on getting thru the wedding intact and with your sanity. Now put those feet up, make a cool drink and enjoy the peace... Remember the holidays are just around the corner and the pace will pick up so we all need a breather.

I will get to have temps in the 70 this week so I will be doing those heavy, sweaty work outside that in the heat I just can not do. Sunday, I used a hatchet to chop down the thistles that where a foot taller then myself and with a stock around 7 inches around. I gathered them up and gave them to the little goat boys - they where in seventh heaven... I hosed down and scrubbed the chicken coop and put it together for winter. Weather stripping in place and relined nesting boxes - the girls where so excited that everyone layed an egg the next morning. I started on the girls barn and trying to decide on who is going to be the lucky boy to be Prince Charming. I did not get the decks done - some kind of stomach bug - bending over was not a good thing.

So I hope everyone had a Great Three Day and now we swing into fall chores and breeding - slow life in the country.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  10:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Jami - I am sincerely sorry to hear about your mom. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I think doctors do a real disservice to folks by giving them a time line. I know how hard it can be to care for an ill parent.

Monica, your yarn is just lovely. I am looking forward to having time to do some spinning myself. I still have several fleeces to wash before the cold weather sets in. After all this wedding stuff I am actually looking forward to smelling "sheepish" rather than smelling sugar. I had to lock the sheep up in the barn and small fenced in area during the wedding to allow for more parking and boy were they angry with me. After everyone finally left, I went down and let them out and they were sure telling me off in no uncertain terms! The only time I pen them up like that is for shearing.

It was 33 on the yard thermometer this morning. I haven't walked out to check the tender plants in the veggie garden yet. I may have dodged a bullet this time but probably not for much longer. It is definately chilly yesterday and today. We had a short but intense rain/wind event on Sunday that knocked out the power for four hours and snapped a big tree off across the driveway. My daughter was quick to point out that she missed me but not living in the country. Guess she's glad to be on a plane for NYC today. Always lots of boo-hoos on both sides when she leaves. We are supposed to be back in the high 80's again by the weekend. Welcome to eastern WA. Watch out for those thistles, Grace. You don't want your little boys to get to "high"....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  1:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I am glad for you also that the wedding stuff is over! I am so sorry to hear about your mom! I will be praying for her! Why do doctors think they are God and have the ability to say how long a person has to live!

Grace, I hope you are feeling better! I know you are not one to deal well with being sick! I don't even want to think of the holidays because I know as soon as I blink it will be Christmas! I am doing my Christmas cookies in November because every year I blink and it's the 23rd of December and I don't have anything ready!

Sheri, Are you all done with wedding stuff too! I hope you get a chance to spin! I like the sheepish smell! I use to live in Tri-Cities, Washington and I personally would take Washington any day over NYC.

Thank you for the compliments on the yarn! I actually managed to get another skein done and washed today! I turned out really pretty, almost a peachy color! I plied it with 2 strands of rayon thread and it came out with a nice spiral to it and really squishy and fluffy! Now if it just doesn't take me a month to get it on etsy!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  5:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Jami prayers out to you and your family!

Well back to the dreaded work and trying to bring in rest of garden and everything else I tell ya it gets in the way and hopefully will be by the way soon Working hard on paying off a few things and then can stay home and be busier but a really good sane kind.
Everyone take care now as you finish up your fall stuff!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  09:00:55 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I will pray for your mother, so sorry that she is going through this. I did hospice for a number of years and I cringed every time a doctor would tell a patient a date...he does not know! Only our Great Lord of Lords knows when our role on this earth is done. I will also be praying for you too. Please take care of yourself.
We have been haying, I sold one load of ram lambs and will have to sell the others soon...would love to keep them all. I kept "Wally", Duke, BJ, and Jasper for rams. They look lots like their dad. The fiber is looking great, I have too many of the ewe lambs but hope I can find good homes for them.
Sorry I can't be on here much right now...haying between rains..hit a dry spell, working at the school, canning, fall cleaning, and moving sheep around. I am so far behind right now...but so thankful that God has given me the health and energy to get it done.
Miss you all,
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  09:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I think I am finally back to some kind of functioning human again. I don't remember ever being so tired as I was after that wedding. Now it's time to get back to work - lots of tomatoes on the vine still. I managed to dodge the frost here although not everyone around here was so lucky. I know fall is definately in the air even tho we are supposed to be in the high 80's by tomorrow. I'm not ready for cold weather yet. I still have a few fleeces to wash before the temps drop. I am already sorting my cold weather clothes and getting ready. Next weekend we will be moving the greenhouse that I was gifted - a 20 x 40 hoop greenhouse that needs to be dismantled and hauled here and re-assembled. I am really excited about that one. I have wanted one for so long as our temps here can be iffy in the spring and fall. I also need to do some fall housecleaning before the weather turns. My house is a wreck after ignoring it for months. I will be lucky to find all the stuff I stashed away to get it out of the way. I can't wait to get back to spinning and working on my art. It's been almost a year since I cut a piece of veneer and I am itching to get started. I have some really cool pieces of veneer that I dyed with fiber reactive dye last fall and still haven't had a chance to play with yet. Today I have to run over to the feed store for chicken feed - then it's picking tomatoes so I will be able to start brite and early tomorrow.

Hope all is well with everyone. I know everyone is so busy with the fall season. Jami - I am keeping you in my prayers, be sure to leave time to care for yourself. Grace, I hope you are feeling better. How is the fencing coming, Rae? Sarita it sounds like you are burning the candle at both ends. Have you done any new yarns, Monica? Celeste, how is your fleece prep going? Have a great day....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile
I have set a weekend work date and called in sons and brother in laws to help My husband can't believe I did it but we have too much to get done and with many hands we will be able to get 2 or 3 BIG projects done and my sheep home.
Also trying to can and back to work and it has decided to be 80 here now and the school feels even worse. I am dripping wet by the time I leave with very little energy. Good thing it is Friday as I have to can tomatoes tonight or early tomorrow morning, THe heat is good for garden but not my working energy level!! Of course hubby has had to work 6 days a week the last month which hasn't helped and is why I set the work weekend and I really don't care if it rains! No one will melt except me, HA HA HA
Hope everyone is feeling better and getting end of summer/fall stuff done. Everyone take care!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  8:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - well on the mend - some type of stomach thing - heck it just means I pull the belt in tighter - that's a good thing..

The weather is cool (which I love) but the meager tomato plants curled their leaves and turned yellow with the chilly breeze. I loved sleeping with all the windows up last night and a hat on my head - breath deep and have sweet dreams in the cool night air.

So I am still trying to get the decks done but everyday I get just enough rain to get them wet and then nothing - so I don't think I will ever get those stupid things done. I will go to the farmers market bright and early and hope to find something worth preserving - our selection has been very poor with all the bad weather we have had here - so I will hope for the best. It is not like I do not have other things to do but still I would have hoped for some gems in the dead of winter.

Selected my top guy for this year and then the silly billy has hurt his back leg last night. Not sure what the problem is so he might get scratched unless it straightens out but the end of next week. He was perfect for what I had in mind but I have plenty to pick from so we will see. I just hate to see any of my animals having a issue. Kasha (my top great pry) has broken two cables in as many nights because of prediators - she is too old to be chasing the forst after big meanies. I have new cables and relocated closer to the house and moved the younger girl to the out pasture next to the forest. Hopefully I will not be chasing dogs tonight as I have done each night this week. When do bears go to sleep?? I sure hope it is soon...

Well, I am off to the kitchen to make some turnovers for my treat - I have been a very good girl this week so I think I deserve some sweets... Sweet dreams all - sunrise comes early and it sounds like we all have full plates.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope you are feeling better! I hope Hansel is feeling better! I am not sure when bears go to sleep! Cool fresh air sounds wonderful! It's still fairly warm around here! I am still spinning away and I can't wait to make something else with Sugar's fiber! I have actually managed to get on a roll with getting yarn done! I have even managed to get them listed on etsy in a reasonable amount of time!

Sarita, It sounds like you have your hands full! I hope all goes well! I wish I lived closer, then I could get some lambs!!!!

Sheri, I am glad for you that all of the wedding stuff is done! I have actually managed to get some new yarns done and listed on etsy! I have found that it works quite well to sit and work on fiber while I am home schooling the kids! It's easy to set down if I need to. I am finishing up some more curly peach yarn and I think I might ply it with some turquoise and yellow thread with yellow beads! I will have to play with it and see how it looks! Almost forgot, congrats on the greenhouse!!

Rae, I think that's exactly the way to do it when you have a ton to get done! Call everyone you know! It's one way to find out who your friends are! I hope the rain holds off for you!

I am off to put away groceries and take a break!

Hope you all have great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  5:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Well tomorrow back to work. That sounds dumb considering the work we do around here to get the farm going but guess we enjoy it so it is different
Got 20 pints of tomatoes canned!! I am thrilled I did not think I was going to get any, did 8 last week and have a counter full of tomatoes I picked this evening. This hot weather is paying off and I need to thank God because garden is looking better than thought it would.
Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Sheri are you starting to feel a little rested???
Grace feeling like yourself again?
Everyone else? Jami are you getting rest??
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  7:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes - I am back on track and back to my usual work. I canned 21 pints of tomatoes yesterday and got one fleece skirted and picked. Today I washed wool and worked at picking and skirting another fleece. Trying to get this done before the cold weather hits -normally would have been done awhile ago. I definately need a shower as I smell quite "sheepish" tonight. Even my skittish wether came over for a scratch tonight. He's the only one who hangs back and doesn't like me to pet him - unless...I've been picking and washing fleeces! I still have a lot of tomatoes on the vine - would like to dry some as well - time allowing.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - Hope everyone had a great weekend. I thank you for your well wishes - not sure what stomach bug I am having but I will just press on - no choice...

I sure wished a had a few jars of those wonderful tomatoes. I went to the farmers market what a let down. $5.00 for 6 small, no smell peaches - left those on the table. $6.00 for hail pitted tomatoes - left those on the table. I did get some great eggplant, acorn squash, celery, lettuce and two great house plants (like I have room for any but they where so wonderful) but nothing to can.

Kasha has in the past three days broken three chains and I have gotten zero sleep - Hansel is still limping but I can not find a cause other then I think he might has twisted it in a vole hole. Llama boy decided to take a walk about Sunday - Not sure how the front gates got open but all the dogs where upset and when I investigated he decided to go off farm for a moment but when he heard me call his name, just like a little boy caught with his hand caught in the cookie jar, he came a running and thru the gate and ran to the barn and sat down like "I was here all the time Mom"

We had rain all weekend - so no deck work, no yard work, no painting barns - my list is getting longer and a new week ahead - can't believe how fast time is flying - is it just me, getting older or what. I finished some great yarn over the weekend and will put them up for new homes. Going to dye some mohair locks today if my stomach is willing. Not a whinner but tea and juice is not enough energy for doing farm work. This morning I had a poached egg and dry toast - hope that will settle the issue. Anyway, enough whinning back to work - Enjoy the day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  09:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Sorry to hear you are still having tummy troubles, Grace. There is nothing worse than trying to work when you feel punky. I wish I could share the tomatoes with you - for all of their neglect due to the wedding, I am having a bumper crop of huge roma tomatoes this year. I don't think I have ever had romas this big before. I have about 60 jars on the shelf now and will do some more. Tomatoes here are feast or famine - you never know what you will get from year to year so I can as many as possible as a hedge against next years crop. Last year I didn't get hardly any.

I was planning to go back to work on my fleeces today but the wind is blowing like crazy so may have to postpone until tomorrow unless I want to chase wool across the yard. I have never dyed any of my wool yet - do you card it before you dye it or after? Do you grow your own dye plants or do you use commercial and if so, what do you use as a mordant? I know that you dye with Kool-aid, Monica - but I like my colors a bit more subtle than that - I guess I'm more the earthy than the vibrant type of gal.

Guess I should get to my day. Hope all is well for everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  4:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Our weather is nuts, it has been in the 80's in Sept in MN???? The heat is just zapping me. The rooms at work are so hot with 26 to 30 kids in a classroom and hot
Grace hope you are completely well soon. Sheri glad things are settling a little bit for you too.
Well need to check garden and put my feet up tonight. Have a good night everyone.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  07:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheri
Thanks for the well wishes - I spent the day moving rocks and digging dirt to fix my very long driveway. With all the snow and rain over the past two years it really had some deep rutts and holes. I decided not to eat while working just to give the tummy a rest. Ate lite for dinner so we will see how things shake out today - your right the work does not wait to 100% health.

As for dyeing - I never use KoolAid - I found it not to be light safe and does not give a finish I want. I do raise plant materials for dyeing, I also have several organic growers in Colorado and New Mexico who have large dye gardens that I purchase from (guess I should place some one my Etsy site)so others could benefit from their wonderful plants. I do use some commercial but only those who are very low in chemicals because of the ground water issues.. Mordants vary depending on what you are using - Vinegar is the first, Alum is second and then combinations of plant and minerals to get the results you are needing on the fiber you are using. I have also designed several secret methods which give me results that my shop is known for - those came by years of trial and errors but well worth it.

Rae I can also imagine the smell with 30 kids in a room - folks think barns smell - I been in elementary schools in the summer - I take the barns anytime. We had frost again last night at my place and fog as I chased my dog again at 2 am... We had another bear/livestock attack at a farm 2 miles away so no sleep at the Funny Farm again. We had a lady have her finger bit off by a bear this last weekend - I could not believe what I was hearing on the TV. Might have to get bullets for the rifle... Hate shooting things but really - the bears are getting too agressive and that is not normal out here - mountains yes but plains no!! Guess everyone and everything is being a bit nuts...

Have a super day ladies - back to work now!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  08:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Sorry to hear you had another sleepless night with critter problems. I have been lucky here - tall fences and so far no invaders. We had problems with cougers and bob cats here awhile back as the game dept. in their infinate wisdom was relocating them just above us and they were wandering back down and attacking livestock. They had a hunting ban on them but had to lift it as the population was growing so rapidly that they became a real problem. I know what you mean about hating to kill anything - I don't even like to kill mice as much as I detest the little buggers. I don't do house cats after having one "spray" a hand embroidered Edwardian Tea Gown that I was making that was pinned to my dressmakers form before it was even sewed together. Now I have to resort to traps - ick. I am having a mouse invasion as we speak. Honestly, I'd rather have mice than bears or cougers!!

You didn't mention whether you card the wool before you dye it or after. How do you keep it from becoming a tangled mess when you dye? I know this probably is a dumb question - do you dye in a dye pot or do you dye with squirt bottles with the wool laying flat? I have used dye thickener when dying my veneer so I can place the color where I want it. I have even dyed veneer "plaid" for one of my projects. I know wood fiber is different than wool - I have never dyed wool only wood and cotton fabric. Is there a book on the subject that you would suggest? I would eventually like to grow my own dyes - I have plenty of room here to grow what I want.

The wind quit and we are supposed to be pretty hot today and tomorrow (unseasonably hot) so I am back to wool picking and washing. Hope your tummy is feeling better and that the critters give you a break and a good night's sleep tonight.

Rae, I can't imagine being in a classroom with that many kids and that kind of heat. It must be miserable for all. It won't be too long though and we will all be bundled up in our woolies wishing for the warmer weather.

Have a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page