Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  2:56:01 PM  Show Profile
My mom used to do stuff like that too. I wish I could afford a drum carder too. One of these years....

How did you do with the wind, Jami? I am really tired of it. It isn't as bad as it was but it's still blowing a good clip. Finally got the snow tires off today - good thing they extended the deadline since there was snow in the mountains.

Finally got the last of the tomatoes potted up this morning. Now it's on to the peppers. I still need to start my cukes and winter squash - I like to start them in pots to give them a head start with my short growing season.

I will be glad to get those sheep sheared. Barrick had a stick about 2 1/2 feet long twisted up in his wool this morning. Had a heck of a time getting him to calm down so I could get it out. Goodies always work wonders though.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies
Lori I do not know anything about that carder so I can not give you any thoughts on it. I have a large electric Patrick Green and I also have a Lout for smaller projects. I know that the Patrick Green is very expensive but I must admit it has been worth every penny...

Sheri I know what you mean about trying to get something out of fleece - one of my huge billies with lockets 11 inches long has a very long piece of wire wrapped around some lockets on his rear - he will not allow me to cut it out so it will have to wait till one of my sons come out and hold him. He lets me clip around his shoulders, his barrel but that rear end is fighting territory. The other day he got caught up in the brush with it and he was mad and fighting to get lose - thought it might just get pulled out but NO, he pulled the bush out of the ground and now is dragging that around with him too. Silly Billy...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I know it's not funny, Grace but I can just see him dragging this bush around and trying to run away from it....That was Barrick, the stick would catch on the ground or something and it would spook him so he'd take off. At least I got it out or rather I got ahold of it, he got twitchy and he pulled it out while I had ahold of it. At least I got it before he got hung up on something like the fence.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I can just picture the bush getting pulled out of the ground! Oh how I wish I had animals!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  5:17:11 PM  Show Profile
What was funny is as he walked around with the bush trailing behind him the three other boys who live with him and go out and eat with him where following him trying to take a bit of the bush. Ret kept stopping and giving them a look like "What in the Hell are you guys doing"? Then he would start walking and again they would follow and try to take nibbles on the bush. Ret would turn and hit who was ever closest and the whole thing started again. Who says country life is boring??? Cash (short for Johnny Cash) finally got a hold of the bush and yanked it off, but the wire is still wrapped into his fiber...

It kind of reminds me of when you see someone with toilet paper stuck to their shoe and they don't know it.

Poor, Poor Silly Billy Ret

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  5:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Great news - Casper today went out with the other boys to enjoy the sunshine until the wind came again. He also ate his pear and wiggled his tail when I gave him kisses. Made my heart sing to see him do that simple little thing.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear that Casper is doing better. I will keep him in my prayers.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  8:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so glad to hear he is doing better!! I got my green alpaca today!!! Oh is it beautiful!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  8:45:20 PM  Show Profile
Ok, my sweetie doesn't like the taste of goat's milk...so which goat breed has the mildest flavoured milk? I'm thinking of adding a milk goat to the menagerie =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  9:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Annika! For us it is Nubians! They have wonderful, rich, creamy milk and it does taste good. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Happy Tuesday ladies. All is good here. We are finished lambing with 50 nice vigorous lambs going strong. Supplementing 2 lambs whose mother has a one-sided bag. Surprise surprise when that happens and an "oh ____!" Just one of those things in an older ewe who has nursed I don't know how many lambs over the years. One lamb gets most of the food (largest of course) and runt gets runtier and runtier and of course hates to be fed a bottle. He wants his mama! What I do is catch up the largest one, feed it a bottle and let the little one nurse and then I catch up the smaller one and give it the bottle to finish it off. They both fight me at first.

Sheri, the wind does get sooooo old here. Every year my hubby and I say this is for the birds and even they have trouble with it. Today we have a heavy cloud cover. I had my nephew here for the weekend and drove over Snoqualmie to get him and really hit a good snowstorm last Thursday requiring trucks to chain up and the traffic was pretty bad. He came and played cowboy and shepherd and now is back home. Trip back over Sunday was a different one, totally clear and smooth sailing.

I have never heard of the guy in Oregon making the drumcarders but we all start somewhere. I have an old Fricke I got for free and sent off to Strauch to be revamped and that cost me more than either of these models you and Monica are writing about, so I'd say go for one of them although being gifted one is the way to go. My "gift" was an expensive one because it was in real bad shape but sure works nicely now.

Sheep coats arrived yesterday so some of the ewes are going to get coats on tonight and I am sure they will think I have fallen off my rocker for sure. Hopefully this goes well.

Setup the creep feeder this weekend and somehow Sterling, the guard dog, got into it yesterday. So I tried to call him out of it the same way he got in but he acted trapped. I knew he hadn't been in there for long and needed a little lesson on it so I just left him there for a bit and went out and released him from his little jail. He was very happy to get out and hopefully learned his lesson. I don't want him in there for several reasons and I'm not quite sure how he got in either! It's good that I can work at home so I can keep an eye on things like this.

Grace, so happy to hear your news that Reese has arrived. He sounds like a lovely boy and now that Casper is better hopefully you can get down there for some gramma time. Enjoy every last delicious minute of it.

Over and out for now. Happy trails girls.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  07:35:04 AM  Show Profile
Down to two more ewes to lamb! Sun is shining here, slight breeze and in the 60s....lovely. I am so tired from the lambing, don't think I will ever catch up.
I am still washing fleeces and selling fleeces...starting to make a dent in the tack room.
Built fence on Saturday, part of the garden is planted and have radish, lettuce, califlower, onions up. Plum trees blooming and the bees are working.
We are still bottle feeding the two wee babies but the other lambs are growing like weeds.
Jami, let me know how it goes with the coats, I would like to put coats on but I let my sheep roam over about 100 acres and worried that they will get hung up or something.
I feel so sorry for you gals with the constant wind, we have enough that it about drives me nuts some days.
Got to get back to work, God bless and keep you all.
I put a new picture of Minnie Pearl and Jimmie Dickens on my blog...they are so cute.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh,
spend lots and lots of time with them.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  09:06:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! We have had the craziest weather, no snow in March, we always have snow, big snow then. Has been 50's to 70's!!! Little rain Monday night into yesterday and then nothing, maybe a bit coming tonight and that is it for the next 7 days according to forecast. Already a burning ban out for us. Need to get busy and get the sheep sheared as they are getting awful warm already. Please say a prayer for us and them as this is our first time

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  11:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Looked at the pics on your blog, Sarita what cuties!!! You sound like you are worn out. I'll bet you are glad when lambing is over.

Been transplanting again this morning - peppers, verbena, lavender. At least the sun is finally out. Wind is still blowing but not as bad.

Hope your shearing goes well, Rae. There shearers are due here on the 22nd - it was postponed from earlier due to rain.

Have an nice day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  7:44:52 PM  Show Profile
It's been pretty quiet over here for a couple of days everyone must be as busy as I am. I finally finished transplanting the peppers and got about half the petunias done today. My greenhouse plastic arrived today and the UPS guy left it leaning against the gate and it weighs 78 lbs. Had to try to move it over to open the gate and then drug it down the driveway by the garden. It is finally starting to feel like spring - 67 today and supposed to be near 70 by Sunday. My poor sheep look like they would rather be naked. At least the weather forecast for next week says it will be dry for shearing day. Let's hope they are right for a change. Let's face it, it's the only job where you can be wrong more than half the time and still keep your job!!

Hope all is well with everyone else. How is your weather doing, Grace? How is the house coming along, Monica? When are you shearing, Rae?

Have a good evening all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  03:09:30 AM  Show Profile
We hope to start this weekend and into week. We only have 4 but being as we are first timers We will start with Sampson as he is least skittish. They are pretty good for hubby and I. If anyone is with us they won't come up by the fence though or inside they scatter.

Will let you know how it goes!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  05:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Rae - we managed to get 6 of our 10 sheared, my husband was learning as he went. We have been trying to find a pro to do the last 4 - they have the best fiber. Being newbies to shearing, we made lots of second cuts on the rest of the fleece. He tried so hard and I am extremely proud of him! But it is getting really hot here in Arkansas, in the 80's the last few days, and they are miserable. Pros are really hard to come by around here! I think we are just going to bite the bullet and finish up ourselves this week-end. I can't stand to see them suffer.

I tried cleaning some fleece using the suint method, aka stinky soak method! I wasn't very pleased with the results. I still had to do all the washing and rinsing just to get the dirt and stink out. I suppose it loosened a lot of dirt and got some lanolin out, but I am not sure I will do it again. Good Grief, it smelled bad! I am wondering if a long cold soak would do just about the same thing without the smell.

Looking forward to a week-end of dyeing fiber! I have used up everything I have learning how to use mom's drum carder, and I can't bring myself to dig into my rovings - I am saving them for our first fiber show in a couple of weeks!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I agree with you about weather forecasters! Kind of more like weather fortune telling! I will be praying that you do have good weather for shearing! We are still working on the house and hopefully Steve will let Gary finish it and we can get moved in! The "plan" right now is to take a break from working on it so that Gary can work on some other things! The biggest hold up right now is that Steve does not want to pay for a heating/ a/c system!

Rae, I hope all goes well for shearing!!

Lori, I don't think I will ever try the soak method for washing fleece! I have heard about it and personally it sounds awful!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. It's raining lightly this morning so I don't know if I will be able to do the garden clean out I had planned with my son and DIL today. Hopefully it will taper off otherwise it will be tomorrow.

Picking, skirting fleeces is a very smelly job. By the time I get to washing it, my nose is so used to it I don't even notice anymore! My sheep sure love me when I go down to feed after doing it though. Won't be long until I will be up to my elbows in it.

What method do you use to wash the fleeces, Monica? I am always curious as to what other people do. Lori are you processing your wool yourself or sending it out?
Cold water isn't going to take the lanolin out. I'm sure Grace and Sarita will jump in here as they have a lot more experience than I do. I follow Sarita's method and it has worked out very well for me.

Been spinning every evening in front of the TV - it's such a great way to center myself before going to sleep.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  10:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I usually put the fleece in hot water in my wringer washer and let it soak for a bit with a fair squirt of Dawn dish soap. Then I wring it out and rinse it in hot water.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  11:25:04 AM  Show Profile
All you gals that do natural dyeing, could you hop on over to the "Stitching Room" - I tried my hand at natural dyeing with dandelion roots and it didn't turn out as expected, can you advise me on what I did wrong?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile
That's pretty much what I do too only I use a laundry sink - actually 2 of them and run my hose outside with hot water. Like Sarita, I use mesh bags with the wool in them to help the fine, Shetland wool from felting. I have a couple to do that I had stored. If the weather is ok (it's supposed to be 72) tomorrow, then I will pick and wash at least one. I am looking forward to shearing on Thursday. My poor sheep are really miserable.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Sunny and warm temps here in Missouri and I am taking it easy today. I think lambing, shearing, washing wool and working is catching up with me and my auto immune stuff. washed fleeces yesterday. Worked out in the sunshine with Minnie and Jimmy playing around my feet. They are true buddies.
Rae, how did shearing go? I think it is really hard work. When I have tried to do it myself, I am not as hard on my shearer about 2nd cuts now.
Sheri, what are you going to do with your fleeces? Seeing your post, I am thinking about taking pictures and doing a complete washing of a fleece from start to finish on my blog....don't hold me to it. There is also very good discussions on this topic on the Spin-Off forum. www.spinoffmagazine.com/forums

I still have one ewe to lamb. She will wait until I am at work and Danny will have to call me to come home.
For those washing their own wool, I want to emphasize that you want to make sure to wash the fleece in very hot water to get rid of the Lanolin or next year, it will be worthless. I have seen a couple of spinners trying to spin wool that has began to stiff together and they have a terrible time. My advise is to get it good and clean now and reap the benefits later.
I have radish, lettuce, onions, peas, potatoes, and cauliflower up in the garden. Whooopeeee! Spring is finally here. School will not be out for me until May 27th.
Jami, are the coats on the sheep? Please keep me updated on how this works for you.
Have a great day!
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

People don't fail, they give up.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:56:32 PM  Show Profile
We are 3 out of 4 done and will probably do the last one here as soon as we eat dinner. It gets better with each one. Their wool is really nasty as didn't get sheared last year but I can think it will be really nice once I get it together here and know what I am doing. Main thing is they are much more comfortable out there.

Really dry here yet, we really need some rain big time.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page