oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  12:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Barb, Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  2:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Happy belated birthday, Barb!
It has been a very eventful day here on the Spinning C. Look at the pictures on my blog. The 2 newest blogs. I am so tired that I just want a hot shower and to sit in my recliner.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Thankyou all for the birthday greetings. That is better than any gift is knowing that I have wonderful friends that care about me. Thank you all. Grace that was the most beautiful serenade I have ever had. I could just hear you singing it. Have a great day!
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Barb!!! Our youngest grand daughter was baptized today so a very good day in the neighborhood. It rained during church but by the time we left sun was out so perfect day for the BBQ after, isn't God grand

Hope you all enjoy the day. Lots to do but you know it is Sunday and sometimes we do need to have a day of rest.

Hugs
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  4:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Well Barb I spent about an hour warming up my voice before attempting such a difficult piece.

Rae I am so happy to hear that all went well with the special event...

Sarita I went to the blog - boy, what a day you have had. If I had been dressed and closer by I would have gladly helped with the limbs and may just pocket of few plums. I miss my plum trees at my family home - such fond tasty memories...

I also wanted to blow the horn on a wonderful new blog site of Monica's you are any angel and I think all us gals will find it of great comfort, hope and joy. Tell the ladies about that site Monica - it is beyond words.....

As for me I am still trying to learn about the FaceBook thing - Brooke helped me put it together when her and Reese where at the farm Friday. A bunch of new things I really do not understand but I am working on it. I will be babysitting Reese at his house Thursday as Brooke goes back to work and the day care does not start till the following week. Good times I hope...

So I am with you Rae - a day of rest would be nice I just have not found that day yet. It's in the plans, just not penciled in on the calendar yet.
Have a great night ladies - No idea what to eat for dinner - it's those small things that can get me stuck - I am great with big things just not small....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am on facebook but I don't understand it yet. Ang, trys to get me to use it too. It is kinda like this new lap top with all the bells and whistles, don't know how to get the most out of it. I do wish you the best of luck and hope your business grows by leaps and bounds.
I think I got rested up. Wish you could taste the plums, they are so sweet. Wish you could all stand under the plum tree with me and just graze till your heart is content.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  1:53:28 PM  Show Profile
My new blog is at www.heroesandink.blogspot.com If you get a chance. check it out and let me know what you think!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  6:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Monica I hope you have good news about your niece by now. Tough time for all.
Sarita enjoy those plums, they look so good. Hope you weather straightens out.
Happy birthday Barb, hope you had a nice day.
Good luck with face book Grace. I don't do it, so I can't help ya out!
Been working on cutting hay the last two days. Will finish up tomorrow. Then maybe wednesday my son can start raking, and after work, I can bale. It will be nice to get baling done.
Had a visitor for 2 days, a pea hen. She was interesting. The chickens didn't know what to do, but run. That was very funny. We were able to get her cornered, and caught, then returned to the neighbors, 3 miles away. I think it would be fun to have a peacock, the males sure are pretty.
Happy rest of the week!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  04:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Monica ~ your new blog is WONDERFUL!!! What an inspiring idea!

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  08:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi farmy girls:

Monica, thanks for posting the picture of the little girl. I don't think she's your niece but you posted for a friend, is this right? Sad situation and the poor father worrying. I hope her mother will have mercy and contact the father and they can work this all out safely.

Grace, have fun with your new Facebook adventure. Wish you well! I enjoy FB...all of my mother's relatives (and father's as well) are on there and it's the only way we stay in touch being on the other side of the country and all from each other. New blog look is nice.

Sarita, I'll visit the blog and see what you've been doing, tired girl.

Barb, glad things are going busy and well for you up there, girl! Organic sheep farming...I'll be interested to hear all about it on this forum as you work your way towards it. And Many More on the birthday (belated though it is)!

Michele, good to hear from you. You've been busy.

Rae, sounds like Nellie will have a good home.

Monica, that blog is too cool, girl! You are an amazing woman. Little hero, you!

Sheri must be gardening and weeding. This wet weather we've had just feeds the weeds it seems. My garden is looking nice, I do have to say. What a few days of pure sunshine will do!

A little sheep talk now: Last night lambies got dewormed for nose bots (just starting to hit hard here) for which only Ivermectin seems to be effective, and got their booster shots of CDT. Lightest lamb was 65 pounds and heaviest was 97. I will do some delving into my records today and find out who is raising these little ones and how their twin has gained and see if it's a mother issue (not milking well? or mismothering?) or a big-little thing. Sometimes a real large twin will beat the smaller twin out of most of the meals available from mom and you will get a poor doer and a great doer in a set of twins. Records are important for these kinds of things. I realize many of you are raising sheep for only fiber but when it's for meat lambs and breeding stock, you look for consistency and good growth rates. Mothers have the biggest role of the whole deal...like in most things in life. : )

Happy trails and dyeing and gardening and learning new things! I'm preparing for this Saturday's Farmers Market. I've committed myself to doing it for the season. I have the opportunity to do a craft fair at the university for 4 days in December but the entry fee is high...anyone done any big craft fairs? Grace, any input?

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  08:52:45 AM  Show Profile
Jami your fingers must be tired - it is hard keeping up with all these busy ladies.

First you are so right, record keeping and following the performance is key in meat, milk, breeding and fiber. For six years we had meat lambs and goats here so I know what you mean. Interesting I never had to deal with nose bots - is that an area thing??? I know what they are but never had to deal with them.

As for the craft fairs I have done international ones and local ones and an entry fee is common including high one's. I would make my determination by how many attend the show, what type of vendors attend, is it juried and what type of advertisement is the show doing.... For the large shows radio, tv, print ads such all be the norm - I also determine if I will be sitting in a sea of beginners or is it pro's. I stop doing those shows where it looked like folks where clearer out their house or just started learning a skill. I determined that my time is worth a high end show and that is where I make good money. Hope that helps some but if you want to talk more I am very willing.

Well, back to work - I will catch up later with you busy bees.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  2:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Lori and Jami, Thanks for the encouragement! Sometimes I start to think to myself "What are you thinking! You can't keep up with what you are already doing!" It sure does help you organize your time better when you start a new project!

Jami, That's right! It's my friend niece! I just copied the whole post that she had put up on Ravelry! Last she has heard, they are on their way back to Missouri!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  3:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Monica, that is awesome! Mama must have come to her senses, thank goodness.

Grace, nose bots are indicative of our areas it seems. I know other producers who have never had an issue. Must be nice. On the flip side, we don't seem to get blue tongue here which is caused by a gnat/fly so guess we have a trade off there. Nothing takes care of it naturally either. The sheep stand around with their heads hanging low to the ground stomping their feet, wagging tails and acting very agitated. That is because the teensy bots are flying into their noses and laying eggs. Nice huh? Not. They come on in July usually and hot days are the worst when the gals are laying around trying to beat the heat. You have to use something or the tracheal airway is damaged from the little larvae hatching and doing their little life cycle up there. Causes pitting in the mucosa...and forevermore wheezing/asthma symptoms in the ewe. I have had ewes in the past that were damaged and it really shows on them in the heat of the summer.

I'll hold it there for now. Off to sew some more cupcake mitts from felt and fun cupcakey fabrics.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  07:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I knew about nose bots - it was in my training that I took at MidWest years ago. I was also lucky never to have Blue Tongue but I knew several breeders up north in Colorado who had terrible times with it.

I have been trying to see where you have your mitts and things but I am not seeing them - or they posted somewhere??? I just finished making some alpaca felt sheets and last night finished their dyeing. Now they are laying and awaiting to dry to I can steam and stretch them...

Still trying to understand FaceBook - however I am still lost at some points. I am reading tons of print outs that DIL has printed out for me. I sure would rather be cleaning barns or spinning then reading all this but I am making an effort.

Well, ladies I will be away today so have a great one. Stay cool it is to be in the 90's here today... Yuck!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:07:41 AM  Show Profile
Ladies~ Thought some of you might consider this~

I joined a virtual craft show and it seems the gal in charge has it pretty much together. They will have one front page every month listing all the vendors for the month with one featured item from each vendor (you pick your own featured item). Your featured item is linked to a page diplaying 10 items you have chose that month. Each item is linked back to your own web page store - mine is my etsy shop. I can add or take away items each month and remove them if they sell during the month. They can purchase from that page without visiting your site if a customer chooses. They guarantee $2000 worth of advertising a month in major fiber magazines and fiber sites such as SpinOff magazine and Ravelry. I know, $2000 doesn't buy as much as it used to, but it is more than the fraction I can spend each month myself. It is $40 a month and you can participate only in the months you pay for, so if you want to lay out a month or two, no big deal. It launches July 1st, so nothing to see today. If you are interested for yourself, the site is www.thefibercooperative.com

I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I am turning in my resignation to the school Monday. Whew. Big step to open a new chapter in my life. I should be able to take the final part of the CDL test next week, and there are plenty of bus driver positions open, sooooooo.......I keep picturing the school bus driver from Forrest Gump!

Going up Sarita's way, into Missouri, after a Border Leicester ram Saturday and another Shetland/BL cross ewe that we should have brought home the first time! Our first three sheep came from this lady and they are simply amazing, and this new ewe is a litter mate of theirs. Had an offer of some Coopworth over in West Virginia, awesome price, but it will more than double the price to either go get them ourselves or have them shipped. Sure was hard to pass up.

Have a lovely day!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile
Grace, so far I haven't listed any of my latest stuff online since it's headed downtown but I will be posting some FB pics soon...I am such a face to face person...the online stuff is something I have to work on pushing more. This is all such a balancing act, isn't it? Knowing you, you'll get the hang of Facebook pretty quick. You've only just started and I see you already have a fan page! Good going.

Lori, thanks for sharing the site! Good luck to you on that! Also, congrats on new sheep and on the job prospects. That first step is usually the hardest. I know you will do great.

I'm off to try to figure out how to make a new seat cover for hubby's pickup...he's torn the one I bought for him up into pieces. They just don't make them tough enough so will have to get some cordura and make him something that will last?

Happy trails.
Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  12:32:19 PM  Show Profile
I have just heard that my friends niece was found and she is safe! Praise God that this ended well!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Lori congratulations on your decision!!!

Monica I am so happy for your friends!!!

Everyone sounds so busy!! We are but not the kind of stuff I would like to be doing, more sheep, cattle, etc..... Patience I know!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  2:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello all....boy a lot has been going on while I was working in the garden and having company. I am so glad to hear your friend's niece was found. I saw the Amber alert on the news here. I love your new blog, Monica. I think we can all be positive contributors even if it's just a kind word or holding a door for someone. Great idea!!!

Lori, congrats on taking the leap. I am sure it will all work out well for you. Sounds like you have been on a real creative roll, Jami. How is the market going?

I will have to go back and read about everything that I missed and catch up on all the news. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I can so relate! I have spent the past 2 days calling around trying to get a better price on an a/c unit! I have talked to some of the most annoying sales people and it drives me nuts! I would much rather be spinning or carding some wool!

Sheri, Thank you for the compliments on the blog! I am going to try very hard to keep posting new items on it! I am not so good about keeping up with my other blog, but this one is important!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Mowing hay today. Hope to bale by Friday. Worked on electric fence this morning. Cows won't cross them but let a little wooly friend duck their head down and under they go. Sheep are such opportunist! Just as long as they don't find the stick tights. Danny said that we will make a town trip tomorrow and see if we can find some kind of wire that will deter them. We have the most powerful fencer that we can find, but we had 3 different types of wire and I think we will put up all new wire. We just run a temporary fence to keep them off the hay ground until we get it baled and picked up.
Jami, would love to see your items. Sounds like you are staying very busy.
Rae, be patient and wait on the Lord...you have heard that many times. I learned along time ago that if I take things into my own hands, I muff it up.
Monica, loved your new blog and very happy to hear that the little gal is back home. Have you heard anything on AC?
Grace, when you get the hang of facebook...you can coach me. How did babysitting go? Aren't they precious? It is just hard for me to get out of my groove from doing my own thing to taking care of the grandchildren...don't get me wrong, it is a blessing to get to be their grandmother and for me to just relax and enjoy every little smile or coo. Our big boy is coming to stay a couple of days in July and then his older sister wants to stay 2 weeks with us. (We will see, she got homesick after 1 week last year.)
Lori, sounds like you will be driving a big bus, wow, life changes! I will have to investigate the fiber coop.
I am drying a very beautiful fleece from a polypay x Bluefaced Liecester. Cuddles fleece is really white, has a sheen and feels like silk. My upstairs is getting full, I guess I am dragging my feet about listing them on ebay. I had a couple of fleeces that was longer and courser so I want to keep them to weave rugs. It seems like every spare moment is filled with fiber lately, good thing that I really like it.
Got to go, hubby just came in and told me the mower broke....#@%#$@$#$&*(^%%$$^@)
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Ha my hubby was mowing and he hit something, bent the blade and comes in yelling cause it was my fault. Well for the first time ever I left . Actually went and brought recyclables to town and then came back and went and visited his Dad!!!! Told him I ran away from home and he laughed but we talked tractor. We need one and he said he would probably be willing to sell one pretty cheap so will see what we can work out. I did offer $1.00 right away so he knew I wanted it

Oh well as my mother always told us growing up, this too shall pass.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  03:54:16 AM  Show Profile
You ladies make me laugh! You are lucky that your husbands cut grass! My husband is 6'7" and he doesn't fit very well on a mower.
Monica, I am so glad that little girl was found! I sure hope she won't suffer any trauma from it all! That is the next thing to deal with.
Grace, you are good stuff to learn facebook. My daughter is on it with her friends. I do limit the use. They have other things to do also!
Sounds like everyone is doing hay. We are blowing in 2nd cut today. The weather here has actually been very cool. The weekend is supposed to be hot again.
I have to feed all of the boys today. There will be 8 extra men at my supper table tonight. No big deal.
I hope everyones tractors get repaired before any divorces happen! Mine was overheating the other day. Had to take the rad apart and blow it out. Full of grass.
I had an awesome phone call from my great aunt. This is the lady who is 94 and still on her own! She asked me if I would like her spinning wheel! Also her carders, one was made by her dad! That is only for keepsake. I didn't know what to say. There was an auction sale of a lady who past away and no kidding there were at least 25 spinning wheels, a whole hay wagon loaded with everykind of fiber and wool etc. 2 industrial weaving looms, 3 table top looms, antique skeen spinners, you name it. My friend and I went and they were not going to be selling until 4:00 in the afternoon! I was so upset, I had to leave. The reason I say this, God didn't want me to have them because he knew my aunt was going to give hers to me! It means so much more than someone elses!
Well, enough blabbering, I have to go and hang out some laundry!
Have a great day ladies, God bless you all!
Barb

Oh yea, Happy Canada day! It is Canada's 143 birthday today!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:55:30 AM  Show Profile
Well Barb we have a push mower! I mow at times but he needed to do something to the darn thing that somehow even though I haven't touched it was my fault. OH well it is done and over and FIL and I had a good visit. He got a kick out of the fact that I ran away from home.

Lucky you on the spinning wheel, how cool!!! I got the carders that my FIL had at his house, they were his mothers. They are like new.

Off to hang out clothes too!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Barb, lucky you. But I would have loved to be at that auction!
Mower part is broken so we are going to call dealers and see if we can find one...nearest dealer is 1 1/2 hr away so at least 3 hrs on the road. I had planned to do my town trip tomorrow but looks like I better have list in hand. I hate break downs, more work on Danny and I am very thankful that we don't get mad at each other. I try to help as much as I can. Yesterday I became the block man, you know being sure the baler was blocked up so it wouldn't fall on us.
I think the old autoimmune stuff is messing with me again, I am having pains in ribs and back and coughing this morning...isn't that just fine at haying time and 4th of July...??? Has anyone heard of Q Disease?
Sarita

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page