cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  07:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!

Spring has sprung in Minnesota and while I know we may still have a freeze, I have the bug! It's time to get my clothes out on the line again, especially all of the cloth diapers that my little 11 week old Jackson is wearing. The problem is that we don't have a clothesline in our yard. Our old house did and I loved it to pieces, but this one doesn't. (We meant to put one in last summer but didn't get around to it.)

So, what's the best way to start from scratch with a new clothesline? I loved my old metal posts at the old house, but I'm not sure you can find those anymore?

Appreciate any tips and advice!

Catherine

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  10:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I think you can find posts at Tractor Supply Co. Also, there are retractable ones that can be mounted on a building and pulled across to somthing else (we had one of those in a former residence, it went from the garage to the house). You probably want some quick-rete to put in the post holes you dig, so it will be good and firm in the ground if you go with the posts.

Good luck! I love hanging linens on the clothesline!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile
i wonder how far apart the poles should be?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile
My grandma had her posts pretty far apart and she had to have props (wooden posts with a slit at the top) to keep the sheets and towels from dragging on the ground when the line was heavily loaded with wet clothes. It might depend on whether you are going to use cotton rope or wire for the line??

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  9:55:34 PM  Show Profile
I built mine out of logs.I peeled the bark off and then notched the 'tee' part so there was an angle piece on each side.It wasn't easy,I nailed everything too just for reinforcement,but with so many trees around,it was cheap.That clothesline lasted about 14 years!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  11:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
My husband's grandma has poles she uses to prop her lines up with too. I'm thinking about 30 feet long is about the norm.

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  3:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

Try this website. They have poles, props, clothes pins, etc. I ordered an umbrella style and it should be in any day.
www.eclothesdryers.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  06:20:40 AM  Show Profile
All this talk about clotheslines has inspired me to build a better one in my back yard. Since my little single line snapped when my son and I tried hanging a rug on it, this is the perfect time! I did check out the website Mag referred to- neat stuff! I think I have just found my weekend project.
On Monday, guess where I will be?
Karin
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  06:27:51 AM  Show Profile
I agree.. This has inspired me to find my old clothes line and clothes pins... I used my Oma's wooden prop poles for sheets.. I couldn't bring myself to throw them out (I save EVERYTHING) I'm so glad I saved them! There is NOTHING that smells as good as wind dried bedding! Just think of all the calories we'll burn bringing the clothes up from the basement and outside!

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  05:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone bought the metal poles from the above website? I was all ready to order them as I couldn't get my hubby talked into making me some, but then he brought up the fact that they don't say how big of a load they can hold. Now I'm afraid they won't be sturdy enough, anyone have any advice????

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  2:39:13 PM  Show Profile
I want to order some good clothespins. Are the ones on clothesdryers.com the ones to order. Some clothes pins pop apart from their metal springs. I want clothespins that I can keep for many years. Any advice? Thanks bunches. Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  8:28:06 PM  Show Profile
I use the trees in our yard. We have three that form an "L" shape around the patio and I have lots of cotton clothesline that I can string from tree to tree. DH hates it but it's the best way to have a temporary line that can be taken down if someone complains. Plus it's cheap. No cost for the poles and the line and pins are a couple of dollars at the dollar store. Easy to replace when they wear out.

I'll continue to use this method on the farm until we get a chance to put up some real poles, but we go through a LOT of laundry... One pair of poles may not be enough, and we have 20 acres of trees... might never get those poles up...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  1:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I use the clothesline that has been here, since the begining of time, lol. Honest, it is in the same spot it was first erected in and used by 4 generations of women in my family. It is cotton clothesrope, the line is attached to the southside of our house and is attached at the other end to the transformer pole in the backyard. It's a nice long one and you can tighten it when it gets too much slack. I like that I can get to it from my backdoor. I have planted some perinnal herbs plants near it.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  1:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mommatracy

I want to order some good clothespins. Are the ones on clothesdryers.com the ones to order. Some clothes pins pop apart from their metal springs. I want clothespins that I can keep for many years. Any advice? Thanks bunches. Tracy

Tracy, not sure if there is a walmart near you but I bought the best clothespins from them. They are these nice big blue plastic ones and the springs, so far have not given out and I have had them near on three years.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile
I just tie my line to the brackets of my patio cover. That will give me about 24 feet of space. In the winter I just untie the line roll it up and pack it away in a lidded plastic box. We hang delicates from the shower curtain rod or on hangers from the door jams. DD doesn't think much of the Chinese laundry look.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Last summer when I stayed over at our cabin by myself, I asked DH to make sure he put my clothesline up before he left to go to San Diego. So, he strung the cotton clothesline between the posts for me - looked great. The first time I washed clothes, I started hanging them out, and the line got lower, and lower, and lower and by the time they were full, I was stepping OVER the lines to get to the other side instead of under!!! I learned a lesson - never use the cotton clotheslines - we replaced them with plastic covered wire this year.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  6:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Good to know about the cotton clotheslines - DH is going to be building me a clothesline pretty soon (hopefully!!!!) in the back yard and I was wondering about what to use for the lines. But will go for the old wooden clothespins instead of the plastic. So good to see more and more going the clothesline route these days. So much more eco-friendly.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Lea Vollmer
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lea
Evansville IN
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  11:40:04 PM  Show Profile
I think the Vermont Country Store catalog has a pulley style clothesline in it as well. I'm putting a clothesline up this spring as well - our utility bill has been outrageous and drying clothes outside should save us some!

I think I'm going to try checking at Rural King and the local Lowe's to see if they have them in stock.

Lea - Farm Girl at Heart in Indiana
My blog: www.kneedeepinfibers.blog-city.com
The cat's blog: www.justopenthecan.blogspot.com
Ravelry ID: LeaMV
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  05:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Here's another link, they carry all kinds of poles and even the umbrella type. At my old house I used a retractable 20' line from home depot. It could hold about 20 pounds of wet clothes, but was not good for more than 3 or 4 pair of heavy things like jeans. The line itself is synthetic, one of the few instances where I prefer peoplemade to cotton b/c of the droop issue.

http://www.clotheslineshop.com

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on May 07 2008 05:03:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Lea!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your cowgirl outfit!! How cute is that??!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile
I just love all this clothesline inspiration. Right now I'm using a retractable that extends the length of our front porch. I really like it, however, I really want a clothesline out the in the garden where I can feel the grass on my feet when I hang the laundry. All of these suggestions are so wonderful! Looks like I'll be spending the afternoon scouring the woods for some good cedar logs or 2 good trees about 30 ft apart!

Thanks so much. I'm so excited!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  08:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Until I get my permanent one put up, I have been using the distance between our fruit tree stakes to string up some line. It's been awesome and I LOVE the smell and feel of the fresh clothes.

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I posted this under the wonderful hubby thread but it belongs here really....

Last summer I found a pop up aluminum clothesline for the yard through our local freecycle group- simple, practical and needing a hole in the ground to rest in. I could never make up my mind where it ought to go...will there be a hoop house there next summer? a chicken coop perhaps?
SO- since I was breaking my drying racks carrying them in and out Erik came up with a WONDERFUL solution. He bought me a gorgeous openwork wrought iron umbrella stand and 8 heavy duty tent stakes and voila- my laundry was hung in 10 minutes. It looks great, required no cement or digging and I can move it if that spot doesn't get enough sun. It is sturdy and the kids can't knock it over because of the way the stakes are holding it in place. My hubby is a real honorary backyard farm girl for this one!!!!

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
What I love about hanging laundry here in Texas is by the time I get to one end of the line, the other side is usually dry. Got to love the sun!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Around here, the garages are all about 25 feet back from the houses. Traditionally, the clothesline goes between the two buildings. My house has the old hooks in place on both the house and the garage, but I've never been able to hang clothes because my husband is always working on his old cars in the driveway. Maybe this year I'll make a land grab...
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  6:24:22 PM  Show Profile
That's a nice image, Amie...You live in an older neighborhood like mine, then.

I think I'm just going to break down and order the umbrella one like my Aunt Bernie's...I've always liked it and it makes more sense than stretching a line across a portion of the yard with the dogs running in and out of the clothing. When I washed the couch covers and pillow covers from the sofa, I made a make-do clothesline on the porch and hung them up right there. It worked for sure and they smelled soooo good!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic How to make a clothesline Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page