Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Lemon Balm Works Wonders for Depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Lemon Balm Works Wonders for Depression Next Topic
Page: of 2

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  7:17:10 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is having a bout with a minor episode of depression and you are leary of prescription medications, try lemon balm. I grow it in abundance here and last year made my own Lemon Balm Tincture.
I took it faithfully all winter, tastes just luscious with pure honey or even on a sugar cube - you can also add drops to your herbal tea. I suffer from SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I have to tell you, it made a big difference in the way I feel. Also is excellent for the immune system.
If you have never had the pleasure of smelling fresh Lemon Balm (smells kinda like Lemon Pledge) then you are in for a treat.
I am going to make various other tinctures this year - they are simple to make and making them actually is healing to your soul.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  05:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
HOw doyou go about making a tincture??

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl was born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  07:11:30 AM  Show Profile
What I do is gather fresh lemon balm that has not flowered and let it air dry in my kitchen in a small bowl (I take off the individual leaves) - this usually takes just a day or so. I then crumble the leaves and place them in a jar with a screw on lid. When I have enough leaves I place them in a bigger (old pasta glass jars work well for this) jar and cover them completely with 80 proof vodka - some people use glycerin for a sweeter taste but I use vodka it makes the best tinctures (I use a reasonably priced vodka)be sure to leave some headroom in the jar. Over the top of the jar I place either waxed paper or plastic wrap and then screw the lid on. I place the jar in a cabinet and take out every day and shake it well - this step is important. Keep checking to make sure the leaves are still completely covered with the vodka or you will get mold. Do this for anywheres from 4-6 weeks depending on how strong you want your tincture to be. I then strain the mixture through a coffee filter and make sure I squeeze out all of the "good stuff". You can then bottle it in individual small amber color glass bottles (you do not want to expose the mixture to light)with glass dropper - always use glass droppers. I have found Ebay to be an excellent source for getting amber or cobalt bottles cheaply.
If you are in a rush for some, I do have some extra and you can purchase a small bottle from me - a small bottle goes a long way.
You are then ready for your nature's medicine. Start out using about 4-5 drops. I like it with honey on a tablespoon. The flavor of Lemon Balm is very distinctive and very palatable - when I am in a rush I will place a few drops on a sugar cube and pop it in my mouth.
If you are looking for a great book on herbs and making herbal products, get yourself a book by Rosemary Gladstar - she is a wonderful herbalist.
You can make individual herb tinctures and them mix them into specific mixtures. Always be sure that the plant you are using has not been sprayed with any chemicals and be sure you know for certain the identity of the plant.
You may also want to look into Bach Remedies which are made from flower essences - Rescue Remedy is excellent to have on hand for many uses.
The world of herbs is an exciting one and you can never learn too much! There is just something so sacred about working with plants you have grown - I find it to be very spiritual and in fact, I recommend that you commune with the plant as you work with it.
Blessed Be!

Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  07:45:34 AM  Show Profile
I've just recenty started making tinctures, so I'm kind of new at
this. I did really good with the elderberry tincture and I
would like to try this one.

First, I'm going to have to get some lemon balm.

Second, What amout of dry leaves should I have? and I use
mason jars, quarts.

Could you help me with amounts?

What do you charge for a small bottle? My hubby also
suffers from SAD. I am so glad to see this post. We have been
so cloudy here and it hasn't been helping his disorder.

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  4:38:48 PM  Show Profile
I would say use a smaller size for the leaves - I think the pasta jars are like a quart size - but you can adjust. I never fill all the way with leaves - so I would say for your first time, fill half way with leaves, the rest with 80 proof vodka.
You will notice as the tincture sets for those weeks that it will start to take on a dark amber color, this is good, so do not be alarmed by it.
I have wild stawberries here in abundance as well as wild raspberries. I love the freedom of just being able to go outside and pick leaves for tea. Wild stawberry leaves have a very high count of vitamin C and raspberry leaves are just plain good for you all the way around.
What state are you in? Perhaps we can do some research on shipping small plants of lemon balm?
I change $10 a bottle for the tincture with free shipping if you are interested, I can make you up a fresh bottle. Just let me know. Also, when you are drying the leaves, make sure they contain no moisture when you are making the tincture. You can also make tincture from fresh leaves, but I use the dry ones. This summer I will try it with some fresh leaves.
What are you using the elderberry tincture for?
I am more than happy to be able to help you. Like I said, go on Ebay and invest in a Rosemary Gladstar herbal book - she is the best. Also go on a search engine like google and look up Storey Books and they also have a very good selection of country/herbal books.
If you give me your email address I can send links to articles I have written about herbs and essential oils that might interest you. I am a freelance writer and book reviewer/author interviewer so you may find some interesting information.
Blessed Be!

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  5:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, why the vodka instead of the glycerin? I made some just one time w/ a woman who had a herb farm & she used glycerin but I know nothing of making tincures, is it just the taste or does the vodka do something else? I'd love to know more.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  7:04:27 PM  Show Profile
I made the elderberry tincture for colds/flues.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  7:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Alcohol makes the strongest tinctures. People that do not want to use alcohol use glycerin and I know it has to be a special glycerin - also glycerin makes it sweeter if it is a bitter herb. I know some tinctures are made with cider vinegar also. If someone is worried about the alcohol in a tincture, using a few drops in a hot herbal drink evaporates the alcohol without harming the tincture.

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  07:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I'd love to learn to make them.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  06:46:33 AM  Show Profile
I would too but the amounts puzzle me.

I'm getting a book but just for chatting...

Do you use the same amout of dried whatever for each tincture?

Do you have to dry the leaves or are there any that you can use
fresh?

Like when I made elderberry. I used dried berries but I could have
used fresh. I put 1/4 of dried in a quart mason jar and filled it
with vodka. Then followed EnchantedWoodsGirls directions. Shake
then strain and keep in a cool dry place.

I keep my tinctures in mason jars. No amber bottles here.
I am going to purchase some though. With elderberry you use it
by the tea/tbs and it's easier to use with a mason jar.

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  07:00:20 AM  Show Profile
Lemon balm tea is wonderful for sore throats too.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Wow, I am learning alot! I do have a concern with the vodka..my hubby's parents were both alcoholics so he never drinks, he fights depression and anxiety. I would like to have something like this around for those days when he forgets to tell me to pick up his meds. I dont think he should switch over, it took too long to find a med to help his condition, but a back up would be good.
So what kind of glycerin do I need to find?
Is the raspberry leaf tincture as effective for womens' hormonal health as the tea is?

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl was born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  1:39:56 PM  Show Profile
When you use the alcohol to make the tincture, you put drops of the made tincture in a hot drink and the alcohol evaporates.
Get a good book on making herbal products, I highly recommend getting a book by Rosemary Gladstar.
When making tinctures you can use either fresh herbs or dried. I use the slightly dried lemon balm (hehehe don't leave it out long enough to gather dust)This year I will try the fresh lemon balm.
Regarding red raspberry leaf, it is supposed to be excellent for women's issues.
Anyone interested in herbal medicine may also want to look up Susun Weed on the internet - she is also an excellent herbalist.

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  7:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info! I, too, suffer with depression that gets worse in the winter. I take prescription medication, but there are still times I feel a little down. It would be my ideal to get off the medication completely and just treat it with natural remedies, but I'm not sure that will ever happen. But I'll definitely have to try this! I am so facinated by the healing power of plants and want to learn all I can!

Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  6:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura - I love learning about herbs, and there is always something new to learn. The lemon balm really does help - I have two new batches setting up in the cubboard they will be ready soon! I do sell them for $10 and that is a 2 oz bottle so that is enough for a long time. I do not charge a shipping fee.

http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  6:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Use Smirnoff (don't spell check that one) vodka or other popular brand in tinctures - It makes a world of difference. You will notice it in the beginning color that your tinctures will start to turn.

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  9:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
haha, you should have heard me asking my mom to buy me vodka! Still have a few months until I'm 21! But I have a trusting mother who knows I have a passion for making concoctions! Thanks for the info!

Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  7:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Laura you can make tinctures using a specific type of glycerin or you can infuse honey with herbs also. LOL - don't go and get mom mad!

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  05:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

I have a ton of lemon balm in my herb garden and keep cutting it back - YeGads! what a waste! Shame on me, the stuff grows like (a weed) and I have dried it, put leaves in ice trays for pretty cubes, added it to lemonade and stews and salads (there's an idea for a party punch with a kick - can I add the tincture mix to a pitcher of fresh squeezed lemonade?)

Anyway, I started my first "tincture" Sunday night, following your detailed instructions. I will wait patiently for it to work it's magic in a dark cupboard for the next few weeks. As I rotate between two houses it's wrapped in a paper bag and going inside my cosmetic bag for the coming weekend. Hopefully the one shake of the bottle per day isn't a strict minimum?

Thanks for a neat idea; this will be a nice little pick-me-up ... do you have to take it consistently every day for results or can you take as needed, on a low or dreary day?

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,

I have made three batches of lemon balm tincture, really enjoying the process, and the daily dose. The third batch - not so good. I was in a hurry - tried to dry the leaves a little faster in a very low oven. They dried, looked a little darker green/brown than the first two batches where I had lovely dark green dried leaves. I went ahead and steeped them in vodka for six weeks, and opened the bottle for transfer to the amber bottles last week. The mixture is very, very dark, and smells different than the first two. Not a moldy smell, not a burnt smell, but different. Should I pitch the whole batch and chalk it up to "Haste makes Waste"?

I can send you a little bottle of this "bad" batch if you want to examine it and let me know.

I am sorry I mishandled your recipe. Also, did you see your Lemon Balm Tincture recipe posted in the Farmgirl Connection cookbook?

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Anybody know where to get dried lemon balm? In Germany I would just pick it up at WalMart but here I haven't been able to find it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  5:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Would anyone be willing to send me some seeds? I know that it re-seeds itself readily as I had some years ago but never knew what to do with it - I liked it and it was easy to grow. I could trade some seeds if you'd prefer - or I'd send a sase. Yes - No?
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  04:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow, I used to grow it years ago and simply snipped off ends for my iced tea. This sounds wonderful! I don't really get depressed, but it sounds like a delicious indulgence for one's winter cup of tea, or a nice enrichment to summer lemonade.

I'll have to do that! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  11:30:39 AM  Show Profile
Chris,
I'd be happy to send you some seeds; we are in Zone 7 in Virginia and the recent cold has caused my Lemon Balm to give up for the winter, but I will research best way/time to harvest seeds and send you some. Feel free to send me an email with your mailing address!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  7:53:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,
I sent you an email. Thank you so much for your offer.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  06:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Chris, I received your address...and will send seeds as soon as I determine best time to harvest them. Happy Holidays!

Jo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Lemon Balm Works Wonders for Depression Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page