Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 It's all Happening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic It's all Happening Next Topic
Page: of 5

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2015 :  3:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Marie -- sent an email to you this morning.
Cindy -- we have a carrier for Gingy which is currently at the home of the pastor we stayed with for a couple weeks before being on the street. I can get it, but the tricky part is carrying it. He's like 15ish pounds right now, and uses a small-medium plastic crate. It won't fold neatly away into a bag when not in use, so it was too much to carry.

Quick run-down of our luggage here:

Me --
1 Eagle Creek Weekender Bag: 1st off, this was a birthday present this year and I'm IN LOVE WITH IT. It has hidden backpack straps which can be zipped away as well as a couple hand-holds and an over-the-shoulder strap. Has plenty of room for everything I need, and a few items I just wanted with me. Enough clothes for 3 days in here, and with prudence, I can maximize the use to 7 days. I also keep a couple books, my tablet, a sketchbook and pencil, all our ID and important paperwork in it as well.
1 grocery sack: holds Gingy's snacks (someone recently donated a small caddy full of Beggin' Strips and Tbone treats for him, he's over the moon) and his drinking cup as well as any small snacks we have and want instant access to.

DH --
1 backpack: holds his clothes, of which he has VERY few. And his laptop.
1 'satchel': this is technically a canvas laptop bag... it graduated to holding Gingy's food, toys we're traveling with (Chuckit ball and a couple calming toys for if he's having a bad day).
1 Coathanger: holds his interview clothing... he made this into a garment bag by piling a lightweight jacket and windbreaker on top of the suit and zipping it up. He's wearing an official Navy pea coat as well, which sometimes ends up on the hanger, too if it's warm out.
1 Rolling bag: This bag was donated to us and we're using it as a toiletry / grocery bag. It also carries our only blanket. We have another blanket at the pastor's house, but it's mostly white, so we didn't dare bring it.

So... life is pretty hefty right now. We're doing good to have a free hand to swipe our bus passes right now. I'm going to need a new bus pass pretty soon (December 22nd is the last date for mine, though we're hoping to get some mail soon that we can use as proof of address to donate plasma. I just hope it gets here in time.

We've applied at an apartment -- honestly, it's a little higher than what we were looking for, but it's an awesome spot and we've been wanting a place in that particular complex since we started looking at apartments back in September. It's more money than we'd wanted to spend on rent because they do not have a 1-bedroom available right now. Only 2-3 bedrooms.

Our caseworker is working with the apartment complex to try to get us in a unit asap. The apartment management told us we could potentially expect to be in the unit no later than Monday, but there are still inspections etc. which have to be done, so we're not counting on Monday. Please pray we're in it by Christmas, though. This month has gone by so fast... I keep hearing people talk about next week like it's a holiday or something... I have to remind myself it's Christmas.

The night of my last post here, a friend got us a room and out of the rain. The following night, we went to a park we know of. They have shelters which have power. So we slept there till about 530 the next morning. We had been experiencing much warmer weather (out of the ordinary for December) so we figured it wouldn't be too bad. We were wrong... it wasn't that bad. But the chill eventually found it's way through every layer of anything we covered ourselves with if we weren't moving around. I shivered so hard, it kept waking both of us up from the bench rattling. Last night, a family member got us a room... I would have updated then, but the Motel 6 here thinks they're funny and the best joke in their comedy hour is, "Welcome to Motel 6, WE HAVE WIFI if you pay us $5/day for it..." Tonight... it's raining again. The dog smells wet.

I called the YMCA yesterday. I wanted to know if they offer free showers to the homeless. They do -- but only ONE TIME per homeless individual. I don't know of anywhere else (other than the shelters we've been turned away from) to shower except hotels. So, we've a buddy that gives us free laundry services... but no way to shower unless we're in a hotel. Showers aren't even listed in the resources and refuge guide the caseworker gave me. It lists shelters, food pantries and financial services. In Hickory, there is a place called Grace House. The homeless can shower every Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes they will randomly open the showers on other days. The trick is getting in line for the shower early. I never had to use these showers. But they're open to the homeless and anyone else in true need. I'm surprised a much larger city like Winston-Salem doesn't have a similar service. Grace House also acted as a sort of day shelter. If I knew a homeless individual and wanted to call them, I would call Grace House looking for them. Chances are, they'd be there and might even pick up the phone.

Anywho... I think that's all I've got right now...

http://lalauland.tumblr.com
http://lalauland.etsy.com
Follow me on Twitter: @lalauland
Follow me on Instagram: @lalau427
DH & I are fundraising to move cross-country: http://gofundme.com/RouteWeiller

Edited by - LaLa on Dec 17 2015 3:54:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  10:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
We stayed in a hotel lobby last night, but barely slept. We're both struggling to stay awake today. It's so bad that when we reached the bus station this morning, DH asked me a question. I was pondering the answer when I fell asleep, continuing the conversation in my dreams... he woke me a few moments later wondering why I said, "Uhm. So..." and then never finished the sentence.

Then I tried texting a friend to ask if she'd received any mail on our behalf today. That went... well...

I tried typing "Just wanted to ask if they mail had come today". Next thing I know, I jerk awake. In my sleep, I have typed "Dogs Free" and jumping awake like I did caused me to hit Send. Funny. Yes. Terribly so. But I need a bed until we get into a place. I've even tried eating small chocolate pieces and meals... We're lucky someone else was going the same place as us on the bus. I wouldn't have made it here.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  6:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
It's 30°ish out there right now. And will get colder before the night is out. We have nowhere to stay the night (yet).

So my mother called. DH picked up. At some point in the conversation, she said, "Well, I hope y'all've learned to live within your means..." I don't deny we've had some issues in the past, early in our marriage, and I believe there are times when we show those colors still in more minor slip-ups. But we've come a long way, and lack of money management wasn't the problem here. It didn't cause our homelessness. Perhaps a bit of poor judgment in choosing a vehicle in a hurry... but in that moment, it was buy a car, any car, or we'd have been on the street so much earlier than now. And what would she have said then? "Well, I hope y'all'll get your heads out of the clouds and learn cars are needs..."

I haven't slept in 48ish hours. During the bulk of that time, I walked about a mile, sat, and slept sitting up in my jeans. Forgive the TMI, but this rubbed me painfully raw. So not only am I looking at potential pneumonia tonight, but I'd like to indulge a scream each time I sit. No complaints here -- these are the facts.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7520 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7520 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  9:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Maybe they can get a stroller somewhere like Good will to help carry their fur babies and other things.just a thought.

Blessings and prayers.

darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  4:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for the suggestion, Darlene. We'll keep our eyes peeled for something like that.

Well, it's been an interesting night and day. We went to 2 different hotels looking for a spot to sit in the lobby. No go. So we went back to the hospital where we were kicked out Sunday. We were allowed in by one of the original people who gave us permission to sit there. An officer came up asking, "'Scuse me, weren't you folks barred from here earlier in the week?" We told him no (this was true, we were told to leave, nothing was said about barring or never returning) and he checked with the desk. DH also double-checked with the desk, assuring them he wanted no trouble and if necessary, we'd leave. They let us stay. We slept till like 8 this morning. Most sleep I've had since all this mess started.

Meanwhile, someone saw our Craigslist postings looking for a hotel room. Turns out, they are a veteran family in Raleigh. They have three children and are fresh off the homeless-streets as of about a couple months ago. She was PREGNANT while homeless. Tigress level: Badass. They spent the evening chatting with me via text and then drove over 100 miles today to bring us 2 sleeping bags and some extra toiletries! The sleeping bags are AWESOME!! Graded at a -20°F. I think we'll be warm no matter where we go now! They also brought me another coat which is a Columbia Sportswear jacket. I've been using a denim jacket which serves me very well and I AH-DORE it, but I really needed something a bit warmer. This jacket they brought me is the real deal, and I love the color -- a heather green which complements my hair and eyes. I really wanted to cry because supposedly 'beggars can't be choosers' so the chance of finding cheap or free clothing we like is well... almost nil. Oh, and my shoes were falling apart. Turns out the woman and I are the same shoe size (11 Wide), so she brought me the shoes she no longer needs from when they were living in the woods. We threw out my old shoes, but kept the laces (which were still good). Oh, and they brought us gedunk (military term for vending machine foods). We all shared a laugh over the fact that many military don't really use the term gedunk anymore and how DH and I were confused at first -- we each knew we'd seen the word but had to fish for the meaning. So, now, I'm going to confuse family and friends the globe over with it for some educational fun :). It's so nice connecting with fellow veteran families... We're not special snowflakes by any means, but we're different from just about any other homeless individuals I know save one. That gentleman lives under a bridge and spends his days putting his panhandler's license to good use. He knows all the best places to panhandle and treats Gingy with great respect (meaning he gets an A in my book).

While we were chatting via text with the veteran family, we had the pleasure of meeting an officer. The local precinct keeps an officer at this McDonald's, particularly on busy nights. The restaurant is basically in the mall parking lot and there's a sign on the door forbidding those under the age of 18 from entering without a parent or guardian after 5pm. He gave us his card and let us know that if we ever have any problem getting Gingy into any location in the area, give him a call. He'll either set us straight on the rules regarding service dogs in that particular establishment, or he'll set the management there straight. He was very kind, and his wife is actually studying mental health for a counseling degree, so he gets the anxiety dog thing.

Anywho... that's my happy for now.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile
I am glad that you have warm sleeping bags now. I was worried about you. Looks like you have some good people on your side.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2015 :  12:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Cindy, they're quite comfy!

A couple days ago, we were talking to the apartment complex we're hoping to move into. Back in 2012, we were living in military housing when DH was discharged. They allowed us to stay in the house for an additional 2 months as we were jobless and it allowed time for us to search for work and a new home. In the meantime, they did have to pursue an eviction process -- but we had the option to leave on our own, which we did before the eviction proceedings would take place. We went to our complex's front office to inform management of our departure. They scheduled an exit inspection with us. We stood there and watched, answering the clerk's questions clearly, spelling out our names, etc. as she input the info into their computer system. We thanked her, shook hands, she wished us well, and off we went. The inspection and move were set to occur on a Saturday. We and another family (close friends and neighbors of ours in the same complex) were all set to move the same date. In fact, we moved together. The four of us adults each took multiple turns trying to contact the staff and management of the complex that Saturday. The men went to the office to state we were ready to leave and no one had showed for the inspections yet. No one was at the office, the doors were locked, and the men walked the entire campus searching for maintenance workers. No one. We took turns calling the main office (off campus), but just got their answering machines. The office in which they resided was closed for the day, we already knew. We finally each left a message explaining that we'd had inspections scheduled for that day and no one showed or was available upon departure. We asked they return our calls. No one ever did, though we continued calling throughout the month.

Six months later, we received a letter in the mail accusing us of having abandoned our house... DH contacted the number listed in the letter and explained the situation. They had actually charged us additional rent for the months following our move. Well... Long story short, the regional manager for the apartments we're looking at now wanted an explanation as to why the debt to that particular housing authority is so high -- they're still charging us the extra apparently, though every bill we've received since has been lowered to the more reasonable amount we actually owe.

DH has explained what happened, but the regional manager still has to approve us for the apartment. Please keep us in your prayers. If we don't get a place soon, that says a lot to me about location. I mean... We can bloom (such as adding skill sets) no matter where we're planted, but that doesn't mean we're planted in the right location for right now. Not having a place to go on a more permanent basis -- well... for me, that would mean living life on foot for a few months before shipping the pets and taking a Greyhound to the next stop. I'm not against or above backpacking as a lifestyle, but I need to wrap my head around how to get things done (showers, regular use of a table or desk without handing a barista my arm and leg as payment for a month of hot-cocoa and allowing me to sit for hours on end without calling the cops on the homeless person using up all the power...)

Yeah... I've thought about that. It would be a convenient way to handle such a change in circumstance. But not exactly easy... we're still attatched to things we'd rather not trash...

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2015 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
We've had our sleeping bags for 3 or 4 nights now (tough to keep track of time at the moment). The first couple nights we spent in a park shelter on a bench. Then we realized we knew a much better place to camp out. Top of a hill. Lots of trees. I'll be amazed if anyone ever finds us there. I've had the best sleep the last couple nights -- until 0200 this morning...

See... being that our days are spent on foot, in a library, on a bus, in the bus station and in McDonalds, meetings with caseworkers, and online job searching, we don't see much of the weather reports. Rain is a thing we pray never happens and act like it never will because frankly, we've enough on our plates without worrying about swimming in our sleep... I awoke this morning to the pitter pats of drops falling on my head. At first, I couldn't decide whether to get mad or sleep. So I quickly snatched up my ripening clothing for today (it needs a wash, but not as badly as what I'm wearing) and shoved it into my sleeping bag to keep it dry. I rearranged a few other items, too. Round about 0230, I woke up because my ribs were aching from shivering. That's when I realized I was sleeping with a puddle at my feet and any movement resulted in immediate freezing temps -- staying in one position kept me warm. I woke DH. We argued back and forth:
Him -- staying in sleeping bags will keep us some semblance of warm.
Me -- hypothermia is a thing to fear...we're all going to die someday, but not today over my dea-- let's not go there.

We packed up and moved under an awning at a nearby building. We caught the first bus to the station. Our entire day has been dedicated to getting enough cash together to wash and dry our clothes, bedding, and bags. We happened across a reflective, waterproof emergency tent at Wal*Mart for $8. We're crossing our fingers we'll be able to rent a storage facility with any Christmas money we MIGHT get... the plan being we can stash things there daily depending what we need when.

So... I'm about to go wash up my things. I'm wet, cold and smelly. Showers are a true luxury in Winston-Salem. Showers are for the homeless individuals involved in homeless shelter programs. Except... none of the shelters would let us in. From what I've heard, the overflows don't offer showers. I checked with the YMCA. They won't let us shower there for free. In Hickory -- I could go to a place called Grace House 2-3 times weekly for a shower if I arrived early enough and was willing to stand in line. I never used their facilities, but I knew of it's existence and that it catered specifically to the homeless. We haven't showered since Wednesday last week...

Prayers, please. DH is expecting Christmas cards from family in the mail this week... He's confident his family sent along the usual monetary Christmas gifts. I hope so, for both our sakes. But -- things could be worse.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2015 :  5:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
I won't go into a whole lot of detail at the moment, but we're in a hotel for the week. This is a huge blessing given that buses aren't running Christmas and New Year's Days and I learned just yesterday that it is supposed to be raining and thundering out most of this weekend, if not all next week as well. Also, we happened across a reflective emergency tent (think foil blanket that is raised up on a rope to create a triangular 'indoor' space with open ends). We grabbed one (they're $8 and change at Wal*Mart) so we at least have a shelter for us and our things should we enter the elements again.

For now, I'm happy to be clean. Oh! And someone donated a rain slicker for Gingy! I pick it up tomorrow. I'm really excited about that, because I've never been able to find a doggy slicker his size except when I couldn't afford it. With any luck it'll include a hood that magically remains in place when he wears it. Today, we were walking to the hotel in a torrent, stopping before crossing a highway when someone turning into the highway drove through a massive puddle in front of us. I had already guided Gingy to step back, but he got started a bit late... it soaked him :(. Fortunately, we were only outdoors for a few more minutes before reaching the hotel.

Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts -- please continue them. It's nice to be able to relax a moment, but we're not out of the woods yet.

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  05:21:15 AM  Show Profile
Dear Laura, I've been off the web for a couple of months due to my own life crazies, and am just getting back to MJF. I want to go back and read all your posts and blogs to catch up with where and how you are, and will do that soon. But for today I just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you, and will keep on praying!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7520 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7520 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  9:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Prayers continue for you all, LaLa...

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Just curious... if Drew is a Navy veteran, why does he not getting benefits? Still praying for the both of you.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  2:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Amy & Darlene - Thank you for the prayers. :)

Julie - Drew is former military, however, the way he got out is rather 'unorthodox' at best. Most military service members and other veterans are shocked by it.

Long story short, the Navy has a white uniform worn on certain watch duties. In late 2012, about a month and a half after re-enlisting for another 4 years, Drew was ironing his whites when the iron burnt them. It was late at night, no stores were open, he couldn't replace them before his duty section the next evening. He asked a buddy if he could borrow his whites for his duty, the friend agreed and told him where to find the uniform. While Drew was working the next day, I was driving all over town looking for his size in the whites, getting the patches sewn on, etc. Drew went to pick up the whites which were located in berthing (ship-board dormitory), but another individual whom Drew didn't know had placed his whites close enough to his friend's for Drew to mistake them. He put on the wrong whites, the command 'caught' him in what they believed to be a stolen uniform before he was able to find and tell the owner of the uniform what happened.

Everyone told DH and I this was nothing to worry about -- it would be a simple slap on the wrist, MAYBE a 45 day ship-board restriction, but nothing more. Instead, it turned out there were those in the command who had been watching him, looking for a way to get him kicked out. They waited until he went to Mast (highest form of non-court related punishment in the Navy; you stand before the captain and are interviewed and your punishment decided upon). In the Mast, they told the captain a lot of things about Drew. We were in some debt which they brought up even though it was MUCH less than any amount that could have had him booted. They lied about a few things, including our debt. Basically, they made him look really bad to the captain, who was new aboard ship and had something to prove. The captain was put in the position of discharging Drew or showing that he would allow people like the somewhat fictitious Drew they described to remain in the military.

Drew received a General discharge Under Honorable conditions. I've been told legitimate convicts have been able to find work faster than General Under Honorable recipients. In fact, it took Drew a whole year to find work again following the discharge. Almost to the exact date. In a General Under Honorable situation, an individual loses ALL of their benefits, GI Bill included. Here in NC, we have spoken with the VA, who were able to connect us with a DA who works with veterans. They have recommended Drew ask the DA about the statute of limitations on a couple of items (counseling chits which supposedly incriminated him) we have from his time in the military. Our hope is that this DA will hear Drew's history and be willing to look into it with the potential of upgrading his discharge paperwork.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  6:44:41 PM  Show Profile
I have heard in the last few weeks about individuals who are examining these discharges and working to get them changed. There was a news report about this on MPR.

By the way, how are you doing? I hope 2016 is better for you.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Dec 31 2015 6:45:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marie!

That is actually not surprising about the discharges. From 2012 and forward, many of our military were being ERB'd (Enlisted Retention Board -- click link for a Google search page which has links describing it) out of the military. It's not just Navy, though they seem to have been hit the hardest. For those not interested in reading the Google search above, let me sum up. ERB is basically a pink slip which breaks the contract of the individual being ERB'd. America has pink slipped some of our top officers on the front lines of Iraq / Afghanistan. Men and women who have served their country with near perfect records, thorough knowledge of the enemy, etc. Then the Navy turned on it's heels and said, "OMG!! We need MORE sailors now!!" So they started hiring new blood. There was a lot of outrage over it.

That being said, Marie, if you have any links to some of those broadcasts, I know Drew would love to see them. I'll look them up in the meantime.

How are we doing...?? Well... honestly...

Drew received Christmas money from family which got us into the hotel for the week of Christmas. We didn't really have a money-saving option which would have allowed us to split up our time in the hotel, so we went with a week and prayed the rain in this area would be over and done with by then. This area saw a wet Christmas as opposed to white. Not too cold... just a lot of of water. We had a great Christmas week inside out of the elements. We checked out of the hotel Wednesday, it was still raining with reports of flash flooding until 6p. We went straight to a local storage facility within brief walking distance of the Goodwill. They gave us a great deal. $32 startup fee, 1st month free, $18/mo. after that. We owe nothing more until February 1st. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it's so much better than hauling everything we have with us right now on and off the local buses. It also gives us a bit of time to slow down a tad in the evenings because depending what time we pick up our camping gear at night, we have to wait 30 minutes to just over an hour for another bus to come by. We should (*fingers crossed this time*) be in our place within under 2 weeks, keeping us from having to hang on to that storage facility for too long.

Yesterday was really rough. We have been planning to donate plasma to earn up to $400 a month. We've been to the plasma center 3 times already. To get to the plasma center, we must take at least 2 buses. 1 to the station, 1 to the plasma center, and there is nothing else we do, can do, would do, or want to do anywhere near the plasma center... so when we go, it helps if we're allowed to do what we came to do.
-- First time. They told us over phone to bring ID. Nothing was mentioned about needing a proof of address. We arrived without proof of address and were turned away.
-- Second time, we got our food stamps. Drew took this in as proof of address. It didn't have a date on it proving it had arrived within the last 30 days... we were turned away.
-- Third time, Drew forgot he needed his SSN...
-- Fourth time was yesterday. We had everything. They did an intake process for both of us. Then told me they don't allow people with anxiety to donate... apparently I might freak out and compromise the process. Thanks for looking out for me, but I have control. And they told Drew to come back when we have a "more permanent" address...
So yesterday, our plan had been to earn $100. We're out of food stamps until the 5th of January. Half the money was for food, the other half would have gone to buying us a pop-up tent to stay out of the elements from now till we're approved for our apartment...

Just to be clear -- we purchased a couple of reflective emergency tents before Christmas money rant out. But these tents... they're made of the same material as a foil blanket. They're great for a one-time use... and for inducing panic for any individual suffering from claustrophobia. Drew's tent ripped a little night before last. That's how weak these are. We can barely sit up inside, making it difficult to get in and out. So a new tent was definitely on the list of immediate needs -- at the very least something small we could use until we're approved for our apartment. That way the only reason we need hotel rooms is for showering.

When we were turned away from the plasma donation, Drew called my mom to explain we were out of food stamps and food (she had asked he let her know). Lately, I haven't been talking to Mom much lately for personal reasons. Once he'd updated her on our current situation, he was subjected to a lengthy spiel on how she hasn't felt loved by me / us in 15 years, that she thinks we wouldn't give a rat's booty if she fell over dead today and so on... so that was nice. She's sending some cash via money gram to help with the food, but probably won't be able to do so until after 7p tonight. No buses are running today because it's New Year's and the nearest Wal*Mart is a few miles out. We're having to call around and look for a ride for Drew to pick up the cash and hopefully buy our pop-up tent. If we can't find a ride, he'll be walking...

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2016 :  5:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
We have a tent and some food to last through the 5th. We slept pretty well last night, but are planning to cover the tent with the foil blanket and foil tents tonight to try to hold in a bit more heat.

We're hoping our case manager received the information sent her regarding our living situation for 2013. If so, we should be able to move forward with preparations for our housing after Monday. Drew starts classes next week. I should be starting about a week after that...

I'm feeling a little frustrated about class -- and it's not even here yet. Hoping it will be a fun, helpful, and interesting learning experience. I have massive appreciation for unorthodox learning styles while my faith in traditional teaching methods has been shaken. That's going to take a bit of recuperation.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  5:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Well, the exciting news is that our casemanager did receive the statement yesterday (Monday). She personally hand-delivered it to the apartments we're trying to get into. Now right after Christmas, I was on the phone with the casemanager and the apartment management both. They told me that the background check done on Drew came back with something... Obviously, it doesn't tell them any specific information beyond, "Yeah, dude's got something on record..." They've asked Drew get a copy of his criminal background check for them. Had it not been for that, we'd be moving in tomorrow or Thursday.

There's only one item we can think of that would be on that record: his driving with license revoked and the fact it is an unpaid ticket due to his joblessness. They said as long as it's nothing more than a traffic violation, we're in the clear.

So, Drew went to print off his record for free at the kiosks at the courthouse yesterday. He was told he cannot print it off because he, quote, "has no criminal record"... uhm... what? So we're also wondering if maybe things got mixed up in the paperwork and all that jazz.

Bonus Round:
1. Yesterday, we saw the briefest of snow flurries. So brief, many folks thought they were bits of white paper flying about.
2. It got down below 20° last night. Our sleeping bags are graded for 20° and we have no winter wear aside from coats which are much too bulky for anything more than covering the entrances to the sleeping bags.
3. I woke up coughing this morning. If I catch another cold this soon after having gotten over the first one I caught, I think someone should volunteer to be my punching bag. Any takers?
4. According to local news, the mayor of Winston-Salem has, quote, "ended veteran homelessness"... but, we're still here!!

And we'll pick up there tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  9:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I would call the mayor and let him know that he has indeed not ended homelessness of veterans but he could help you by letting you get a copy of Drew's criminal background check so that you can finally get into some housing. When you call his office, an assistant will take the call and they will be able to help. Man the arrogance of politicians. Call a local newspaper or TV station. They will just love to catch him at something.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  10:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
http://forsythunitedway.org/an-end-to-veteran-homelessness/

http://m.wxii12.com/news/Winston-Salem-mayor-Allen-Joines-to-seek-re-election/35181742

http://www.cityofws.org/News/ID/15359/Winston-Salem-Meets-Homeless-Veterans-Challenge

So there was a challenge to create more RESOURCES thereby ENDING it. Which they've successfully done. We've benefited. But... the news media on it makes it seem there it's no further problem. Homelessness has been eradicated, hallelujah. So people respond to our Craigslist pleas for help with, "veteran homelessness is no longer a thing here. I saw it on the news".

Also, while some of the organizations listed in the above articles have assisted us personally, most are inaccessible because we're a couple without children. They seek to assist single or preferably single male vets. In order to get in, Drew would need to disregard me or help find lodging for me elsewhere -- difficult at best without a baby in my belly or a child in tow.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
I come bearing better news thanks in part to Marie's suggestion:
1 - Our Goodwill case manager found Drew's background check in the wilderness of paperwork on her desk. She is co-op'ing with our SSVF case manager to get it to the apartments.
2 - SSVF hand-delivered the background check to the apartments today.
3 - I have clean clothes!! No for real... see, our connections at Goodwill knew of a veteran who helps out homeless vets because he works in a laundromat. So we can do about 2 loads at a time (which is plenty for us -- just means wear clothes we normally wouldn't to do our washing).
4 - Drew is working (at Goodwill) Friday morning.

I called the mayor's office today. The assistant there was very kind. She stated she'd never heard such nonsense as an individual being required to purchase his own printed copy of his own criminal background check and asked that I have my casemanager contact her. I did so. Furthermore, she assured me that the mayor and she both understand that homelessness is a 'forever' thing here in America. Something that will not be erradicated, but that the messages they gave the media were simply to inform the media and public of what they were doing. She made me feel much better about what I'd seen online. Sometimes you just get idiots (like the guy that responded to Drew's craigslisting claiming the news had said there were no more homeless veterans) in the mix. It does still bother me the way it was presented in the media (a little) but I felt better about the mayor's take on it.

With any luck, I'll be moving in while Drew is working Friday...

Edited by - LaLa on Jan 06 2016 2:41:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  2:48:20 PM  Show Profile
See how great it feels to be an advocate for yourself. I still say you can do it for others

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7520 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7520 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  8:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh how awesome! I hope it all goes well for you and Drew.

Keep up your hard work LaLa.

Blessings

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you both.

Marie - I've been looking at that a lot lately -- I would really love for some of my efforts to be put toward helping others, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions? I would particularly love aiding other veteran families before / during / after similar circumstances. Perhaps I could start off as a directory / referral resource?

Today we were told we've been approved for the apartment and our casemanager has put in a request for inspection of the place prior to our move in. No word on the date yet, but she says this part will be a fast process. Also, Drew has a paid volunteer job for tomorrow loading trucks at Goodwill through their EDGE program. I was eligible for EDGE as well, but Gingy was the wrench in that gearshift -- dogs not allowed in Goodwill's workspace, which is fine.

Gingy and I are chilling just us tomorrow -- probably at the library. Does anyone know if Lowe's Food Stores has an issue with small anxiety dogs riding around in the child seats of their shopping carts? Cos that's where I get lunch when I'm at the library... I just usually have Drew around to watch him so I don't have to drag him to every store I visit -- more for him than the stores. I've had a couple gas stations deny him entrance claiming he was a hindrance to their foods... right because I allow my service dog to snack directly off their shelves. I should add that as I'm typing this, he's stretched out on the floor of McDonald's because they let him lick the tables clean for $5 a night...

Just kidding. He's never licked a table. Nor been on top of one to lick it -- other than picnic tables at the park which he didn't lick because they're full of splinters.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  6:25:59 PM  Show Profile
LaLa, Have you ever tried calling some nursing homes and see if they would like you to visit with your pup. Old people like animals. Maybe the humane society could help with some suggestions of places that would like visits from dogs as well. Your family is in my prayers.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  12:38:01 PM  Show Profile
I would talk to your case manager at Good Will about a job like hers. Maybe you could shadow her to see what see does to see if it works for you.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic It's all Happening Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page