Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 It's all Happening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic It's all Happening Next Topic
Page: of 5

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Bonnie - Yes, I have. I particularly thought he might be a good dog to read books to others. But, first things first... while he is certified already, his trainer and I need to work out a few kinks. For example, he's not too keen on police uniforms, large crowds (which is good as tight crowds are one of my anxiety triggers), or loud / flamboyant personalities (also an intimdating trigger for me). RIght now, his go-to method of announcing my triggers are being flirted with is to growl about it -- work in progress.

Marie - I had considered that. But honestly, they've given me some trouble regarding which class I should take because of my anxiety. Did you gals know that anxious people can't sit behind a desk in an office as an administrative assistant or receptionist because they might just freak out and meltdown right there at the commputer? No? Cos I didn't know that either. I really wish someone had told me before I spent 2 years in school working on and never completing the certification for it and following that up with a yeeaer's experience in the field. Anywho... because of that, I've struggled to be allowed to stick with the class (call center) I've gotten into and as a bonus, I'm having to try to figure out a good way to approach the issue (advocating for myself again) to prove I can do what I wanted to do in the beginning. It's not 'too much work'. But I'd like to start advocating in an area where I don't have to fight the stereotypes right out the gate. Takes the focus off the work that needs to be done.

http://lalauland.tumblr.com
http://lalauland.etsy.com
Follow me on Twitter: @lalauland
Follow me on Instagram: @lalau427
DH & I are fundraising to move cross-country: http://gofundme.com/RouteWeiller
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  7:26:39 PM  Show Profile
If you're being passed over for a job because you "might freak out" that's immoral and possibly illegal. Is your anxiety disabling enough for you to be eligible for disability? If you need a support dog, you might qualify. I have severe depression and I've been passed over for jobs because someone felt I "couldn't handle it". I became familiar with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and now I'm waiting to start a position where I will--hold your breath--have to use a computer. Because I'm depressed you see, I must be too dumb to learn how to use a computer. Even though I have a Bachelor's degree. Employers are NOT allowed to ask you questions about your mental/emotional health unless they ask ALL applicants about their mental health. Otherwise they're breaking the law. And if they ask you, you can choose not to answer. To find out your rights as a person with anxiety issues, you might contact NAMI. It's for people and families of people with ANY kind of mental or emotional disorder. They can tell you what your rights are. Because you DO have rights.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  7:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Cindy - sorry for the confusion, but this isn't a job situation but rather courses through Goodwill. Goodwill and a local technical college co-op together to provide immediately employable skills to students. Drew and I are eligible for the courses free of charge because we're currently unemployed. I LOVE working in office environments, and am not against working a call center (additional experience, yo!) but years ago, I started a diploma / certification program at another technical college. My coursework was to certify me to become an admin assistant. I LOVE office work -- so much that I can often be found staring at office supplies in stores. Just staring. Not buying. I just feel a satisfaction from looking at them. It's literally the only work I enjoy outside the home, and blends into my homemaking and other skills and passions well.

As to my anxiety, I've never been officially diagnosed, though a counselor once made the comment off the record that a dog may be of assistance to me. After I suffered a severe attack (screaming bloody murder while Drew was driving on the interstate), he bought me a dog a family was selling. The plan was to see how things worked out, and if his presence helped, we would look into having him certified. That dog was Georgi (passed away in 2014). Over time, I was able to confidently leave home without Georgi, which made things nice for us. We did want to certify him, but then he passed. Gingy is a rescue Georgi found on the street when we were out walking. They were inseperable. Someone threw Gingy out... well, since Georgi's passing, Gingy's been the dog in my life. I had him certified, and it's been a major help since we've been in this mess.

My anxiety -- I don't consider it a disability and have never attempted to draw disability for it. To me, it is an emotional struggle that with time and effort I can rise above depending on the circumstances. For me, it's triggered by
-- massive (tight) crowds... if I feel a group of individuals is closing in on me, I'll see you later. This applies to traffic situations, as well. I screamed the last time I was stuck in grid-lock with 7 emergency vehicles lit up and flashing in front of me, sirens blaring, and everyone honking at them angrily for blocking traffic. My poor companion had no idea what to think.
-- intimidatingly excited people.
-- extreme overwhelm.
-- at times when others are driving, I feel the vehicle is speeding forward faster than it should be. My depth perception is also a little off, so it appears other vehicles are closer than they should be. So I think we're about to wreck, but to others, "oh, we're the perfect distance from them."

Office spaces... are a balm to such environments. Everything's organized -- I just have to learn the system.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  8:40:16 PM  Show Profile
I believe it is also illegal to keep you from any classes you desire to take. I agree with Cindy, contact NAMI. They have people on the phone lines who can get you the answers you need. I called them once when I was depressed, knew I was depressed and getting anxious about it. They calmed me down and told me about some resources. By the way, they are willing to have people on their call center lines who have mental illness. That would be a really good place to advocate.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes, schools and colleges are also not allowed to discriminate. It's not their business about your emotional health. If they're about your emotional stability as a requirement for the class, they're breaking the law.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  7:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Alright, I'll call NAMI soon and ask what my rights are here. With it being Goodwill, I'm really not sure how to go about all of this other than my idea of showing my transcripts proving I've done this before -- but even there, that's me showing something that I normally wouldn't have to show an employer. I'm not wanting to call names or point fingers at follks. But it does bug me that the issue was brought up at all. To me, if someone, anyone, walks into a building with any size dog that has some form of identification claiming it is a service dog, I have no further questions unless the dog shows true aggression toward someone in the building. Then my first question becomes, "what'd they do to the poor puppy or it's owner?" Firm believer in dogs not being aggressive unless threatened or imbalanced in some way, usually caused by humans.

But shortly after our employability skills course, my casemanager at Goodwill sat us down and 'interrogated' is a strong word here... but she questioned me as to my anxiety, the severity of it, when I was diagnosed, etc. Basically her questions pertained toward the end statement of her concern Gingy would be unwelcome in an office environment and whether or not it would really and truly be a anxiety kosher environment for me with or without him. Public funding pays for courses the unemployed take through Goodwill, so my feeling was that maybe I should consider doing something different so their money (which they haven't much of) isn't wasted... but, here's the real kicker: there are literally only 3 fields they offer for those women who do not wish to enter a male-dominated work force such as welding, machinist, or contractor... The only courses they offer for us not-too-girly-but-still-kick-butt women are: office administrative fields, call center, housekeeping. They moved me from housekeeping to call center because one woman who reminds me a LOT of my grandmother saw my talents and spoke with my employability skills teacher. Together they discussed they felt I would be pleasant and personable with customers, so call center might be best for me. I'm cool with it. It gives me some experience in a field that's different from what I've done before, but still has some similarities to office work... But if I'd had a 100% choice, without anyone's input, I would've gone with office admin. Finished what I started in the past. And using that try to find work. In the meantime, Drew is planning to donate plasma in the weeks to come -- the money will go to extra expenditures as necessary. I could save some of that up and easily pay for the call center course so I'd have the skills to back me up in the future.

I'm just... haters go on and hate, but I need to get something off my chest here:

I HATE SCHOOL WITH A PASSION!!!!

Whether because I didn't speak up for myself, or because people really were that controlling, I've rarely had much say in the classes I attended or my involvement in them. Take these circumstances here... I'm no longer sure I want to take the call center class, though I recognize it's value and acknowledge my own sincere interest in doing that sort of work. It's because other people cannot decide where to put me, where I should or shouldn't be based on what little they know of me. Now take that information and apply it to a mother-daughter relationship and magnify like a million times. I just wish I knew the best thing to do for myself here...

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  8:04:19 PM  Show Profile
If Goodwill is receiving public funding, then they are ABSOLUTELY out of line. Any entity that receives public funding has to comply with strict federal laws. Please contact NAMI and see what your rights are. They CANNOT ask you questions unless they ask ALL applicants the same questions. I know you have to be careful not to alienate them, but they are overstepping their bounds.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  10:06:59 PM  Show Profile
I have worked with people who have a service dog in the office. The only problem I see is that everyone wants to pet the dog and that is just not done. Whenever I see someone with a service dog, I compliment them on the dog and go about my business. Oh and the people I saw with service dogs worked in offices. So there! Next time they make a judgment about Gingy in the workplace say "I see and is this your direct experience or something you have heard." This is something you can advocate for so do the research.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  1:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Okay... I have GREAT news... and then I have angry news.

GREAT NEWS: I'm typing this from my kitchen! And Twitter is home after 6 months apart from us!! And he's all lovey and giving kisses and talking as though he never left -- I mean, he's still working out his confusion and fear of the new place and not having other cats around, but otherwise, he's totally chill. And heavy... I'm going to need kitty-diet info soon. When he left us he was 16 pounds. Now I'll be lucky if he's only 20.

Angry News: Remember the class I was saying I was signed up for? Call Center? Well... the thing is, as much as I wasn't looking forward to it, I know that it would REALLY help me out if I attended ANY class, at least to show that I'm doing something with my time in an effort to better myself for future employers. Well... I just got off the phone with my Goodwill caseworker. As far as I have known the last few weeks, I am scheduled to begin class Tuesday of next week, the 19th. My casemanager asked me when I plan to begin my job search now that we're in the apartment (which she was calling to congratulate me on). I explained I planned to begin my search more seriously once I had a class under my belt. She wanted to know what I was talking about. Apparently, to her understanding, when we had the conversation I mentioned above, I said (I do not remember ever saying this) that the call center would be too stressful on me. I remember saying I had never done it, that I was sure it had it's stresses just like any other job and that it was something I wanted to try all the same. SHE TOOK ME OUT OF THE CLASS AND IT'S FULL NOW!! She expects me to immediately start looking for work, or get into Goodwill's EDGE program to try working as a cashier or something. I'm SO MAD RIGHT NOW.

Tried calling NAMI's NC office in Raleigh. It's their open house today... I'm going to have to call an out of state NAMI to get anywhere... and pray to God they don't ask to forward me to NC.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  2:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Okay, here is what you do. Take the job with Goodwill EDGE. Be all nice and compliant. Meanwhile, continue to make noises such as "I wish I could have that call center training. I see lots of jobs in that area." Be an exemplary worker and look for work at the same time. Flood her with paper proof that you have been looking and not being hired. When she asks why, have the opinion that you think they want someone with more training. As always, be sweet, be nice, be compliant, be a good employee. Be REALLY helpful and enthused at the workplace (within limits) and treat everyone well. This is a time to show how to catch your flies using the sweetest honey you have. DO NOT make this woman regret helping you. Might want to consider taping some critical conversations with her. Keep trying to reach NAMI and getting their advice.

This is NOT the time to get angry. It is time to advocate carefully. Do not jeopardize everything that has been gained.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  7:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Good advice Marie.

Good luck Laura.

hugs

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, sorry for being AWOL a few days. Processing... settling into our new home. Etc.

I was disenrolled from the class due to my casemanager's concern my anxiety will compromise my ability to work in a call center. While I understand what you've suggested, Marie, I don't see how that will work out in the long-run as she's convinced she's right. Furthermore, I was disenrolled without my prior knowledge or consent. Due to the MLK holiday, I haven't yet been able to reach out to others within Goodwill to insure that I am in fact disenrolled... I want to doublecheck that she didn't get conversations with myself and another individual mixed up when discussing with me the other day before I don't show up for class.

My current plan of action is:
-- call NAMI tomorrow first thing. See what they have to say about all this.
-- go visit the lady who originally put me in the call center class and who has advocated for myself and Gingy before in a Goodwill class setting. My goal in going to her first is that I've tried discussing this with my casemanager directly during her surprise-anxiety-interview she sprung on me a few weeks ago. I left this interview thinking I'd clearly expressed a desire to stay in call center classes despite the fact I'm certain it has it's stresses (point being: what job DOESN'T stress it's workers). She apparently heard that as "this job does look too stressful for my anxiety to handle". She disenrolled me from that point without any further input from me, or my knowledge. I feel having someone like this advocate I'd like to speak with who works alongside my casemanager and knows her well, would help. This individual has researched the rights surrounding anxiety sufferers and therefore can speak to the circumstances from that angle in support of me.
-- speak to casemanager again with the support of NAMI and the advocate in her department backing me.
-- sign up for the next available call center or office technologies class and attend.
-- begin a more serious job search... though, honestly, I'm not feeling great about jobs at the moment... having a certificate in hand to say, "this lady knows her stuff" would go a long way to helping me there. I've been rejected from most jobs I've applied to. My goal is to at least be considered and at least get into the first interview. In my experience most places won't even bother giving me an interview...

Also, I have a job-search related question:

In 2007, I left my favorite job ever. I was a work-study receptionist for the school of Christian Ministries at my college. When I left, my supervisor offered to write me a letter of recommendation for my next job. I was young, naivette, overly modest and shy about it -- I felt like that would be asking him to say nice things about me and that might be a bit inappropriate. So,I politely declined and he said if I changed my mind, please let him know.

Is there a statue of limitations on offers like that, or is it something I could politely request now? If so, any suggestions on how to go about doing that? I'm still in mild contact with this supervisor (I follow him on Facebook). We rarely communicate beyond a hello, or holiday / birthday greetings.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  4:24:21 PM  Show Profile
If your in contact with him still it probably wouldn't be a problem for you to get the reference letter. You might just ask if it is still possible to get a letter from him and then see if you can call him or email him by regular email in case your message gets lost on Facebook.

Good luck Laurie. Your going to do well.

Blessings

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  3:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Darlene. Much appreciated :)

We're loving our new place. I still haven't had opportunity to speak with our case manager about my classes (she's been slammed with other appointments) but I have a plan, so I'll get something figured out soon. Right now I'm enjoying having a roof over my head. We'll be getting together with another case worker in the coming week to look at getting furniture for us.

Twitter has settled into our new place, though he got upset with us once last night -- his caretaker was free-feeding him, so he weighs a ton and I'm putting him on a diet. So we're adjusting to a new feeding routine where he yells at me if the bowl is empty. He's also back to spanking the dog every so often. Their current argument is who Twitty's pet bed belongs to. Hint: Not Gingy.

So, that's us for right now... Please continue praying as we adjust more and get back on track from here. We are still planning to leave NC and go to Montana in the coming months. This is just one lengthy pit stop on the way. We definitely need wisdom going forward.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  09:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
It's been a crazy week. We had snow (yay!!) and Gingy loved playing in that.

I finally reached NAMI. I now have the number of a specific volunteer whom I can call and talk to anytime. I also know a bit more about what to do in regards to the class situation, though it doesn't appear I'll be able to sign up for a new class until March :(. All such classes are filled up and have already begun. Everything remaining is industrial work... There are classes I'm interested in through Forsyth Tech which I don't think are available to us for free, but I'm going to ask if I cannot be put into a class schedule right away. I'm meeting with the casemanager on Friday. Lately she's been too "slammed" to meet with us (understandable in her line of work), but the last several times I've spoken with her she's basically steamrolled me rather than really listening to what I had to say. In this case, what I've to say is important to my greater success following these events. She's been a wonderful casemanager for our immediate needs involving Goodwill, but I'm really beginning to feel I'm done with her. Zero hard feelings and I think she'll continue being an asset to Drew as she's the Veteran Coordinator there, but I think I may need someone different who is more familiar with my needs and better educated as to the rights of folks with anxiety -- with or without an official diagnoses. One individual with NAMI who told me she has worked with Goodwill before (as a casemanager or something similar) gave me a number to call with Vocational Rehab where I can make a complaint against the casemanager I have currently. I feel the call should be made... but Drew wants me to wait until I meet with her on Friday. Thoughts?

I was also told of peer-to-peer classes with NAMI where I could potentially become an advocate and make a little cash on the side there. I'll be checking their website for more info on that.

We're hoping to get our furniture in this week or next... so excited to have a real bed for the first time in several months. Well... I'm chill with sleeping on the floor, but prefer a bed -- I'm really looking forward to a sofa.

In the meantime, I'm working on coming up with more cheap, easy, healthy meals that can be made ahead for lunches to be carried to school or work. Any suggestions are welcome -- Drew isn't fond of beans at all, which somewhat limits our cheap choices. I got him to agree to one recipe in which I use refried beans to stretch or replace beef. I'm cutting out most breads as I'm trying to keep our grains a bit healthier and I'm just plain sick of the usual sandwich bread. We go with wraps or find special deals on deli breads or use crackers. Lunches are purposefully kept light.

So that's this week. I'm looking forward to the weekend.

http://route427.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile
The case manager you have at Goodwill sounds as if she is good for Drew but not for you. When you meet with her, request a case manager who would work better for you. Be very polite and complementary and say that you are just looking out for all concerned. Do not make the complaint yet because Drew is getting good service from her. Stress that you need help of your own from someone who can better handle your situation.

Yes, do the peer-to-peer classes with NAMI. See if you can get a case manager with them. Definitely check out all their services.

I just googled "inexpensive healthy meals" and got a whole list of sites to look at. I won't list them here. Many of the recipes include pasta and chicken. If Drew doesn't like kidney or navy beans, try garbanzo beans or black eyed peas. Buy your ingredients in bulk and make a large pot or casserole which can be frozen and lasts several days. I like to make a hearty stew in a slow cooker and freeze it in 2 cup reusable containers I get when I buy soup at the oriental place. These is so much you can do when you cook from scratch.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  9:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Well, I went in for a meeting today... first off let me just say that I'm not good at working my way in edgewise when someone is steamrolling me... and in this case I'm using the term 'steamrolling' loosely as a descriptive for an individual who barely draws breath from the moment they greet another, leaving precious little time, room, or encouragement for others to speak.

I walked into the meeting expecting to say my piece, share my complementary gratitude for her services and state a desire to switch to another casemanager. No. This meeting, despite no real plans or directives having been set for it beyond a date and time, was entirely about my resume and the job search to follow... She was armed with about 6 pages worth of potential jobs printed from Indeed, plus multiple others she recommended I apply for online. She further attempted assisting me with my resume -- which despite my having attended a class (Employability Skills) which taught me how to write a resume, I've apparently got it all wrong, still.

She informed me the reason for my disenrollment from my class is that Gingy would not be allowed into job interviews or specific job sites (such as a call center) with me. Furthermore, as Gingy is technically in training for his full certification as a service dog, they no longer wish to allow him in classes with me. She also seemed bothered by the fact that I have no official diagnoses or anything saying I have a disability -- something she seems to believe is required for me to use a service dog at all. However, I've been researching all this myself. From what I've read of the ADA and other helpful websites on the subjects of service animals and anxiety:
- Anxiety is self-diagnosable (according to WebMD, and other random sites I've visited)
- One may train their own service dog if desired
- One need not have a direct diagnoses in order to aquire or otherwise make use of such an animal

I did manage to:
- Let her know I was sincere and interested in taking the course; also correcting her in her understanding of my prior statements. She thought I was saying the call center would be too stressful for me -- what I said was every job has it's stressors, call center is no different, and I wish to put forth the effort to try it if that's the class I'm in.
- State the aforementioned research and that I'm in contact with NAMI who are also instructing me as to my rights.
- Inform that NAMI and I are in agreement that while a job is high priority, I'm in no state to manage both a job and classes ppresently and I need a refresher on some of my office tech.

I left with:
- Job prospects I'm honestly sick over. Not to keen on anyone looking for me when they're being a bit controlling about it. Jobs are things that come to me or they don't... no amount of resume polish or pavement pounded can force anyone's hire.
- A great prospect for class funding which I'll be looking into Monday. Good opportunity to get a decent course not offered at Goodwill.
- A link to a free online learning center. Valuable. But I don't see it teaching me to use an office copy machine or untangling the confusing mass of buttons some donkey-hat added to office telephones. Can we please go back to party-lines and wooden box phones?

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile
My twenty-five cents worth of advice:

* Workplaces are more likely to accommodate a disability when it is diagnosed. This doesn't mean they will so one has to be assertive. I was in a temporary job in which I was asked to use the bathroom when I needed to take my insulin. In there I would stand at a sink and use a counter to how my equipment. Someone complained that they were creeped out by this and I was told about it. After that I would go into a stall or the supply room to take my medication. In this case, I couldn't complain because I would lose my job.

* Companies love directives in writing. Get Gingy fully trained and certified so people are more comfortable with her around. Remember: just because all the paperwork is in order doesn't mean the company will want to hire you and may select someone who doesn't need a dog to help them. Everyone understands why a blind person needs a dog but no one understands the needs of a mentally ill person. That is slowly changing.

* Apply for the jobs the caseworker gives to you and do some research. First, call the company HR department and ask them if the position is still open and accepting resumes. Second, fill out the application. Third, document the results. Make copies of all the communications you get from the company and keep an actions log of every step taken to get the job. Fourth, look for jobs on your own and do the same documentation. Fifth, have all of this documentation ready when you meet with the case manager again. At this meeting, ask for 2 minutes of her time to summarize your thoughts. Sixth, if after the next meeting, progress on your requests is not happening, speak with a supervisor about it. As always, be polite but firm.

* Continue to work with NAMI and take advantage of any and all their services.

* Try volunteering at a social services non-profit in the area. They will be so happy to have you and will not mind Gingy. I will soon be volunteering at The Aliveness Project, an AIDS awareness and community center for people living with AIDS. A place such as this would be a good place to learn about the new office technology and it can be put on a resume.

I hope I have offered some ideas which you haven't thought of. Keep advocating for yourself and keep a positive attitude. Others notice when someone takes the bumps in their lives and turns them into opportunities.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Marie, I really loved your ideas and suggestions, though, unless it pays at least a few bucks an hour, volunteering isn't much of an option right now.

That being said, I think I've come up with a decent plan to bypass all the current drama, outsource myself a bit further and appease (at least for the moment) those in need of -- ahem -- dainty coddling...

- Some weeks ago, I was told of a single-day class (free of charge) which teaches how to portray one's resume on Linked-In. I've the information necessary to sign up to attend. It's through Goodwill and the gentleman who teaches informed me that I may return for additional instruction as each class is not a total repeat. He has folks that attend it weekly. I'm going to try signing up for Thursday's lecture as I've the day free.
- One of my favorite authors offers a $300+ How To Write Better course... I've wanted so terribly to attend online to better my writing all round, but obviously haven't the money. Last week, he and his adjunct professor decided to offer a 2 hour version of the course via WebinarOnAir for $20, BUT he later told prospective students that if they were unable to afford the $20, email the adjunct who would get them a one day scholarship to the program for the webinar. I emailed. I'll be attending free of charge on Sunday, the 7th. I'm SO EXCITED!
- I spoke with Forsyth Tech today -- they co-op with Goodwill for the classes Goodwill offers. Teachers of these classes work directly for Forsyth Tech. I learned where to go to sign up for a class (Intro to Clerical Assistance). I would attend at Goodwill Inc. but I'll be signed up via Forsyth Tech which should keep Goodwill casemanagers from disenrolling me from class. It should be out of their hands.
- While on the phone with Forsyth Tech, I learned about Career Readiness Certification. Apparently many employers in the area are requiring them. I can attend Keytrain classes to prep for the CRC testing free of charge. The test is $30 (not bad at all).
- One of the jobs casemanager found for me is for a library page at my favorite library in the area. I worked for a library once with similar duties. While that opportunity ended up being a minorly bad experience, I'm willing to give it another go this time around.
- I'm also looking into my options for taking other classes later on toward self-employment. But that will take a more gradual focus as I continue.
- Checked the NAMI site, no peer-to-peers available yet, but when they come available, I plan to take them and then train to become a mentor so I can then teach those classes myself.

As it stands, I've 3 fairly immediate classes, 1 test and a host of options to review as well as a decent job prospect I hope may pan out.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  9:20:13 PM  Show Profile
This is wonderful. Are you going to celebrate by making some jewelry? Do you have any jewelry supplies with you? If not, send me an email with a list of what you would need to start and your current address. I have quite a few beads in my stash I could send to you.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  9:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Good Work Laurie, Keep it up!

You are really a great help Marie,

Hugs

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  9:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Well, the job has apparently been filled -- I think it was filled before my caseworker found the advertisement. I was at the library recently and noted some new pages. But there are other opportunities out there, as well and I'm signed up for any updates to the library opportunities which may come available.

Marie -- I have been doing a lot of crafty work for the house. I would LOVE to switch to jewelry for a bit of a change. I've been crocheting and finger-crocheting mostly. Twitty brought a kitty bed home with him and Gingy's jealous of it, so I'm crocheting a floor cushion for him and stuffing it with Wal*Mart sacks I'm making an additional cushion which Twitter can use on our bed when it's not doubling as a decorative item. And I've finished a bath mat I started on a couple weeks ago. I'll email you :) Thank you so much for all your generosity.

Darlene -- Pretty awesome, isn't it? And today, I attended the Linked In class and there I met a job-search coach who works with Goodwill. His secretary informed me that this portion of Goodwill, known as the REACT Center, takes a longer-term approach to the job search. I spoke with her at length while awaiting a moment to schedule a meeting with the coach. I explained that I've had some pretty gnarly (bad) experiences in the past with job searching and particularly with family opinions becoming overly-involved in my search. I told her I'm now in a transitional phase where a job is a necessary priority, but I've a specific goal in mind and prefer not to waste more time in career fields which will neither benefit nor further my cause. She agreed with me saying it takes time to not only define a title but also to understand the culture of the job which I'm seeking.

I've a meeting with my personal job coach next Wednesday at a different Goodwill location (the bus line for the REACT Center has crazy long wait times). I'm looking forward to seeing what he has to say once he's seen my resume(s) and how I update my LinkedIn page. I learned a lot at the class today and felt the teacher (also my job coach) and I clicked, which is a huge relief in any trainer-trainee relationship. Looking so forward to meeting with him next week.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  9:08:07 PM  Show Profile
You are really going in the right direction Laura, Keep it up!

Take care and have a good night, I would like to see Gingy's floor cushion when your done if you can post it.

hugs

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  3:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Darlene, and I will take a photo of it. I also have a cat toy I made for Twitty. Even incorporated the bell from one of his old toys.

I misplaced my 30-day bus pass amid juggling Gingy (he was antsy after a run-in with some character who yelled his entire conversation at me) and some groceries yesterday. I have 2 passes which had 10 rides between them when I left home this morning and Drew is getting me another 10-ride pass from our casemanager tomorrow. In the meantime, we're waiting for him to get enough from donating plasma to acquire new 30-day passes for each of us. Please pray I do not run out of rides -- I shouldn't, but I've still places to go, things to do... so on.

The webinar on Sunday was WONDERFUL! I'm so excited to dig back into writing. It's always been such a relief and outlet for me. If I go too long without writing, I literally can't sleep.

Today, we're at the library and I've signed up for my library card. I'll be checking out a book on ASL. Eccentric, perhaps, but I've always been interested in learning it and this'll be a good start to get my feet wet in it and "beginner ASL" just adds to my resume.

Edited by - LaLa on Feb 09 2016 3:58:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I probably know what ASL is but can't remember what it means.

You will enjoy the library. Have a good evening.

hugs

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic It's all Happening Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page