Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  08:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies. You're all so sweet! Brenda, I have to ask how your daughter is doing with her pregnancy and does she know what she's having this time around. You've probably already posted it somewhere, but my brain doesn't have a search function this a.m. Your grandchildren's names are unusual for sure, but definitely cool names. And Grace, what a story,must've been a real shocker. The minute I saw the little winkie, all I could think of was the work I had already done and the beautiful outfits I had purchased, but I've already gotten so much done for Evan in half the time. It's amazing how much more simple it is to prepare for boys. And you're right, I'm not going to have to go through the hair drama with a boy. Thank goodness! Thankfully the large purchases (stroller, crib, car seat, etc) were purchased before I knew the sex, so they are neutral. Poor Mom, she knitted the most adorable little hats in pink. i mean, they were flat-out adorable! She's happy though. He's healthy and will be a great addition to the family. She comforted me through that evening and as always, had all the right things to say. I just got a delivery of clothing and need to get them in the washer. I bought a 175 piece lot ranging from size 0-3 months to 2T. Only halfof them came today, so I better stop chattering and get to sorting. Whoops! This is supposed to be a sheep and goats thread. Sorry for hijacking. :) Consider Evan a shepherd in training!

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Angie, Hijack any time you want! It is the sheep and goats thread, but we all chat about everything under the sun! I think the name is wonderful and what an incredible story behind his middle name! I am so excited for you! As Grace said at least you found out now! But imagine the fun you could have had with showing his first girlfriend baby pics of him in pink if you had not found out till he was born!! hehe!!!

Grace, That is too funny! I guess doctors don't know everything!

Hope everyone has a great day! I have to go to the market as soon as Gary gets home! I am still trying to figure out what for sure to get the girls for Christmas! Talk about waiting to the last minute! I am making them princess dresses, but I am not sure I like the stuff I already got them so I am taking it back to find something different!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  08:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Monica your so right, I pulled out the dress along with the doll clothes Nick wore for the first couple of months. He was a month early and back then there was no premie clothes so I had to purchase doll clothes. That started my first business - making clothes for special needs babies - ie. premie, babies with tubes and such..

Angie I hope you know this thread is about those who have a life loving all things - what we have in common is fiber but most of all we have a love of life and sharing...

Monica I am sure the princess dresses are incredible - hope you share pictures. How is Gary doing with his health. He is always in my prayers. Not sure if I should ask but any news on the house front? I feel like I might be opening a wound but I worry.

Could someone tell me what I would be looking under at YouTube regarding the tumbler - I was going to have my son look it up so he could bring the information out on Christmas. How is the fiber working going during the holidays??? I am at a complete stand still.. I need to purchase some dye material after the last batch of huge dyeing projects. Anyone using the Greener Shades?? I finished some natural dyes and thinking of trying - any recommendation, comments, dislikes?? I had a bad batch of Cushing dyes the other day - screwed up some great alpaca - now I will have to do some thinking of how to correct the mess..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  09:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. Grace, I searched under "how to make a wool tumbler" and got quite a few results inc. this one which is a commercial model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLULrhINexc. I hope that helps.

Congrats Angie!! What a shocker that must of been. My Son and DIL will have their ultrasound today and hope to find out the gender. Hopefully this one is more accurate?? I will let you all know what the consensus is. I'm glad you found out before you removed all the tags. I loved the video. We love all the stories and don't worry about "hijacking" the thread as we are a community and care about all aspects of life. I loved the story of his name as well.

Monica - I'll bet those dresses are fantastic. I would love to see some pics too.

Gotta get to work - lots to do yet.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  11:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Just got a call from my son - Its a BOY!!! It must be something in the air....! Now I can get busy with my knitting, sewing etc. The important part is he is healthy.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Sheri!
Grace is right, boys are much easier to raise than girls! I had only one, and am so happy to have her, now! But she was much more of a challenge. I must say, though, that it was well worth it as she is now my best friend and a real joy. I'm happy to have had her, but am still glad I only had one girl! She was more difficult than all three boys put together! LOL!
And Angie, they have decided to wait until the birth to find out what this one is. They have two boys and two girls already. She is doing everything all natural this time...at home with a midwife. That girl has more energy and more courage than anybody I know!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Sheri! You are going to have so much fun. I wish I could crochet and knit to keep these hands and mind busy!

Brenda, You have one courageous daughter. I guess she's well versed in birthing, so more power to her! If I already had 2 of each, maybe I could wait until birth? Nah, who am I kidding? No chance i could wait! I get my patience from my mom. Hee! Hee!

Oh Monica, We've already decided the reveal video will be played at his wedding! That is, depending on how well behaved he is up to that point! :)

Take care everybody!
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  12:34:33 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Angie...they have said every time that they weren't going to find out early, and have come up with 4 different excuses for why they "needed" to go ahead and find out! So...we'll see if they stick to it this time!
She really wants to be a doula and a breast-feeding consultant. She believes in baby wearing and no baby sharing! She calls it "attachment parenting". I think she owns every kind of baby carrier there is, so if you have any questions, I can send you her e-mail address! I have a friend who is almost my age and just had her 9th or 10th baby, and even she asks Jessica's advice on some of this stuff. I think it is because we in my generation did not know about all these new (old) things when we were starting out. I tell Jessica I wish she could have been my friend when I was having babies! She is an amazing mom. She has opened my eyes to so many things.
I really wish you the best with your bundle of joy.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  5:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace, sorry that I didn't back with you about the wool tumbler, I did a search on youtube to find it too. Danny went to the dentist to have a jaw tooth pulled and ended up having oral surgery. The jaw bone was coming through the skin, so they clipped the bone, then had to sand the sharp edges off and stitched him up. He has been pretty miserable. To boot he is a bleeder.

Sheri, congratulations on the new baby! It is so exciting! I agree about boys being easier to raise than boys...I had two girls and 1 boy. Each of them is so unique, as i get older I can now reflect back and know that I thought I was a pretty perceptive mother but I think I had my head in a cloud when they sit and talk about what they did and I was unaware. LOL

Are you about ready for Christmas? I went shopping for groceries today and it was a mad house! So glad to get home.

Hopefully I can get some things done that I have put on the backburner for a long time. (May need to knit more baby hats in blue) I definitely want Evans little head to be warm. But that will require a trip to Columbia Mo to the yarn shop. Need a very soft yarn for this project.

Brenda, how is your new baby boy doing? You have to get us some pictures.

Monica, hope you find what you need for the girls. Angie got several homemade dolls when she was growing up.

Ladies, I have been getting the itch to felt, but I don't need to start anything until I finish some of my other projects. I found this site spmousedroppings I will try to get the complete address and share but if you do a search, you will see the cutest little felted mice. Angie made a felted halloween cupcake for one of the swaps on MJ and it was so cute...I could see a little sheep or mouse on it.

Brenda, you may get a white Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

“God whispers to us in our pleasures,
speaks to us in our conscience,
but shouts in our pains;
it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

C. S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  8:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes Brenda, please give Jessica my email (mrsbaroch@aol.com). I have already purchased 3 different types of baby carriers, but I'm thinking of getting the Moby type (she'll know what I'm talking about). I'd love to hear her input on them. Also, I'm hoping to breastfeed, but I'm not yet confident that Evan and I will find what works. Talking to someone who knows what she's doing would be a great asset! Of course, everyone knows I'm doing cloth diapers too! She sounds like a wonderful Mommy!

Mom, I just may have to make a trip to Battle Creek next week while Wayne is off to get you some baby yarn for those hats you talked about. You up for it? :) Hey Mom, I hadn't thought about putting one of those felted mice on one of my pumpkins! Good idea. That thing was so much fun to make! I love felting and still have quite a bit of the roving you sent me! Might have to mooch some gray off of you though. ;)

Grace, I was reading back through the old posts and noticed you were having problems with your hands (lanolin allergy). I was wondering if you've ever heard of a lotion called "Yes to Baby Carrots Baby Lotion" I have problems with allergies and itching especially since I got pregnant and was stocking the nursery (Imagine that, me buying stuff ahead of time LOL) Anyway, I bought this lotion because I simply liked the name. It is the most amazing lotion I've ever used! I found that they also make a hand salve/balm. I bought it at Walgreen's, but have found it in many other stores. If you're still having troubles you may want to give it a shot. (By the way, I get no financial compensation for this recommendation. LOL)

I checked out the fiber tumblers on youtube as well. Pretty amazing. I just typed wool tumbler into the search bar, but I noticed many more are listed under fleece tumbler or fiber tumbler. They look like they'd be easy to make maybe with a old dryer or sewing machine motor.

I know I've asked before and here I am heading back to the baby subject, but Brenda and Sheri, when are your grandchildren due? It has completely slipped past me.

Monica, How are the princess dresses coming? I bet they're gorgeous. Pics please!

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2010 :  08:41:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I have some of the greener shades dyes, but I haven't used them. A lot of the ladies on my ravelry group use them and love them! I will post pics as soon as I have the dresses done! Gary is doing really good! He is finally back to work which is great because he was starting to get cabin fever! The only bad part is that everything at the block house where they have supplies for the water company was a mess and they were out of things and cans of plumbing cement were left open etc... It's okay to ask!! I have decided that I am tired of the foolishness of men and I am not going to play their games anymore! The last news on the house is that Steve has to get a permit to do the electrical stuff and Jim the electrician who lives here in town has looked at it! I remembered the other day that about 4 months ago at least Steve has said that if we get the window a/c units that he would get a crew in to finish up the house in 2 weeks and we could move in! So much for that idea! I have decided to throw away all of the boxes on the porch because I am tired of them all piled up everywhere and now half of them are ruined from the rain we had this week! All of this just makes me want to be prompt with tings and not string anyone along even unintentionally!

Brenda, Can't wait to hear if it's a boy or girl!!

Sheri, Congrats!

Angie, You are too funny! I cna just see the video popping up and some opportune time!! hehe!!

Sarita, I will be saying a prayer for Danny! I hit the jackpot yesterday!! I ended up returning everything I had got for the girls and ended up getting containers for their hair stuff, hair brushes, totes, stickers, 4 barbies, stuffed animals, a make up kit with enough to split between them and the best was a whole Kaboodle case that I found at the thrift store that is crammed packed with all kinds of barbie clothes and accessories! I ma very happy with what I have now! I have started felting and I really love it!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2010 :  06:01:06 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas everyone! Our Christmas is white. Cooking to go to my mother's to have lunch with my family and then our son and his family will be here for supper.
God Bless you all
Sarita

but shouts in our pains;

C. S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  07:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - hope all the flour has settled, the wrapping paper is off the floor and your able to look at a plate of food without needing to unbuckle your belt... The Funny Farm and a great weekend and tons of hugs, smiles, giggles and magic.

Nick forgot to bring his computer so I could watch the wool tumbler YouTube site. I tried to load it on my dialup and after letting it run all night I gave up. I will find a way to see it but for now it is a no go.

I posted a holiday event on my blog that blew me away - Mother Nature's creatures really know how to celebrate the season. Hope you check it out.

I am so excited for everyone with the new arrivals coming - please keep us all posted - this thread I hope let's folks feel like their life is what we share not just our furry animals...

I mentioned all of you in our holiday prayers at the table - you are always in my thoughts, prayers and heart.

Oh I also have on the blog a thread about resolutions - would love for you to share there if you get a chance. I better get my buns in gear and get hay moved - in three days they are saying we are getting snow and below zero weather... Have a great day ladies and I will check in later.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  10:08:53 PM  Show Profile
Whew! I finished the last Christmas gift at 10:15 Christmas Eve. No, I am not proud of that. But I did get it done. After wrapping everything, ended up in bed about 12 or so, then the boys bounced us out of bed at 5:30 the next morning. Oh well, they are only little once.

Angie - so good to hear from you again. I am glad you are feeling better!

We did go and get the little brown Cotswold ewe. Course, you all probably knew it was inevitable. She sure is a talker!

I have decided that I have let the house "go" for too long. I am trying to tackle a room or two a day, with the craft room taking several days. I got through the den and the kitchen today, and hopefully will attack the master bedroom tomorrow (I am worse than a teenage girl about putting my clothes up!). I am hoping to get everything done by the end of the break.

Stan bought me a new spinning wheel! I am so excited. It spins like a dream. Jessica will now get my Louet, and I hope she tries to learn. This is another reason I have to clean the craft room out. Too much of my stuff is leaking into the rest of the house.

Hope you ladies aren't having to dig out too much. I won't brag that we are supposed to have 60-70 degree temps here the end of the week.

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4080 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4080 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  05:13:43 AM  Show Profile
wow catching up on all the postings! Sounds like everyone had a great Christmas. Lori you did really take it down to the wire! :) We have plenty of snow and now they are talking rain. Hopeing we are far enough north for it to be snow. Animals have access to the barn, so that is good. I will be taking down decorations outside, before they get froze on. The inside things will be put away on Sunday. It is nice to sit back and relax some, as much as I can do anyways. I seem to always need a project!
I have to agree, having boys is great fun! Had 3 of them, and now have 1 grandson. Angie you will do just fine. I didn't have a clue, and my kids all survived! :) Good things babies can't talk, and tell the silly mistakes you made!
I have heard of using an old dryer to tumble wool. Haven't tried it though.
Happy New Year to all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  08:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. Another holiday under our belt....I had a good time seeing everyone - I had 12 adults and 9 kids but I have to admit I am tired. Finally finished cleaning up and putting everything away except the tree which I always take down on New Years Day. Now gearing up for snow as we are supposed to get 6 go 10 inches tonight followed by sub zero temps by the weekend. Brrrr...!!!

My grandson is due in May. I got to see the ultra sound pics on Christmas. Now it's on to knitting and sewing baby things all the proper color coding. Babies are such fun no matter what gender they are.

My daughter in NYC said the drifts were over 4 ft. tall in places - almost as tall as she is ( she is only 4'11") she said she was only one of 15 to make it to work in her dept. yesterday. (she works on wall st.) I guess living in snow country does make a difference after all. She said it was great as she actually got something done it was so quiet.

Lori I knew you would go get the ewe. What kind of spinning wheel did you get? I sure wish I had your temps. Usually I am finishing up gifts on Christmas eve too but this year I managed a bit earlier so I know what you mean.

Grace what a wonderful site to be able to behold. It must have been like witnessing a true moment of grace. One of those aha moments that take ones breath away. What a marvelous gift to see the dance.

Hope everyone had a great time. Have a wonderful quiet day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  8:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I knew that you would get the little ewe! You will need to get us some pictures. How is the new wheel working? what kind of wheel did you get?
Sheri, I sure hate to hear that you are in for more bad weather...it seems like it works it way across and down to us. Maybe it will stay up there and Rae and Marlyn and Michelle and all those gals to the North of us will get it this time. Not that I am wishing it on anyone. The East sure got one!
I am carding and spinning some wool today to make Angie some soakers. I have one bootie done and the other one cast on. I made one bootie in about an hour yesterday so I should get another one finished tomorrow.
Today was warmer so I worked outside around the animals most of the day today. The wool is looking so good...I can't hardly keep my fingers out of it. they are just big old powderpuffs.
Yesterday in the fog, I was feeding small square bales and that required me to drag them from inside the barn to out in the sheep lot. My bottle lamb, Minnie and Queenie helped me. Minnie stood right in front of me and I was constantly having to make her move and I was trying to pull on the bale and thought it was hung up on something and when I looked back, little Queenie was on top of the bale, riding. Laughing, I just gave up and sat down on the bale and gave both girls a scratch behind the ears and had a little talk with them. They didn't seem to mind that breakfast was going to be late. Just another one of those "Yeah Moments"...Yes I am blessed and very thankful.
I got an email from the wool processor and just knew it would be my invoice...wrong, it was a note telling me that they were running behind working on alpaca. I was so disappointed. The owner called and we talked about my order and she told me they were ready to work on it (early in Dec) and wanted more information. I have been waiting on the bill and excited to get my yarn. I had even planned on giving some yarn to Ang for Christmas.
They were all set up to be able to handle the length of the Shetland and I had planned on sending much of my wool to them when we sheared this coming Spring if I liked how they did the 5 or 6 fleeces that I sent them last Spring. Now what??? I read on their web site that they were putting in a new spinning frame for alpaca. It sounds like they will be working mainly with alpaca and if that is more money for them, who can blame them?
Rae, did you watch the game tonight. Vikings won tonight!

but shouts in our pains;

C. S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  07:36:23 AM  Show Profile
How upsetting Sarita - what type of contract did you have on the fiber processing??? One issue with the alpaca is processors know that the breeders will pay alot to get it done because they get more for the finished product but the mill should not be changing your processing times. I don't want to sound mean but after dealing with way too many processors you really have to be firm and stick to the contract otherwise you should be received compensation.

I love the helpers at your farm... They seem to be as helpful as mine. My sillies love to step on the back on my snowshoes and I do a face plant while trying to get their food to them during big storms. Such help. Monday while I was cleaning their barn I had them stepping on the shovel, standing in the doorways, running thru the piles and scattering stuff everywhere... I finally locked them in another pasture while I got the work done. Silly helpers..

So what is on everyone's list today?? I have several windows to recaulk, paint and get plastic on before our storm comes tonight. Not what I want to do - rather be working in firber today but I will be thankful when the temps dip below -4.

Did I read it right Lori you got a new wheel?? What kind, do you have pictures? Oh, I am so excited for you. I hope to replace my foot speed petal on my electric spinner so I can get flying on some creations soon. Electrical things and I are not the best friends but I really want it fixed and too many folks have promised to help but not shown up to do it. Hate to bug them so I guess I will just try myself.

Have a wonderful day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  08:39:43 AM  Show Profile
Sarita I did watch the game, it was AWESOME!!

Trying to play catch up around here and clean, getting a little here and there. Getting ready for your west coast storms, supposed to start with rain tomorrow and then turn to snow Friday. I do not like ice in winter Rae I am!!!

Sally is starting to bag so believe we will have a new addition or so in the sheep house soon.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  09:48:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I have been slacking off lately in the keeping up department! I guess not much is happening so I haven't had a whole lot to say. I have been in a few crazy facebook debates lately, and I think that takes a lot of my brain energy! LOL!
Angie, I will get that email to Jessica right away. She has a blog now all about natural mothering and attachment parenting. I think it is Hidden Meadow Home (Jessica Wylie). It has generated some interesting responses on her fb page!
My husband, who grew up in Iowa, is a life-long Vikings fan! He is trying to follow KC now that we have sprouted roots in MO...but I know he secretly still roots for Minnesota!
Christmas was nice...quiet...but very pleasant. The tree is down and all the decorations put away. Most of the sweets and treats are finished. Now it is time to start thinking about the New Year and making all those resolutions. #1 is get back to eating right again! LOL! No more goodies for awhile! My motto for the new year is: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. I will have to change my saying at the bottom of my signature! I am resolving to make this the year I conquer my fears! I have made great strides this year already, but 2011 is the year I will put them to rest for good. I really only have three major ones...unless, once these are conquered, a few I didn't realize come to the surface!
Anybody else wanna share their resolutions/goals for the new year?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  2:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Sarita - if you are interested, I know of another processor called Spinderella (I think that is spelled correctly) from a friend of mine that raises all longwool breeds. She showed me some roving that she sent off and it was beautifully done. Her prices seemed very reasonable to me and she said turn around was less than a month. Don't know if she does yarn or not, but she surely has a website.

I did get a new wheel! It is a Spinolution Mach 2. We saw one this summer and I spun on it a little, and it was so nice. My ever attentive husband apparently made another one of his mental notes. I saw one on ravelry that a lady was selling because she had too many wheels. I only mentioned it as a conversation topic because I had never seen one for sale before. He insisted on me having it, and two days later he sent me and my best friend, Monica, after it - the lady lives in Kansas City and met us halfway. He is such a dear! I honestly would have never bought the wheel for myself, but he wouldn't hear of me not having it.

I need to take a pic of the wheel and of the little Cotswold. I am almost guilty to admit it, but we also wound up with a herd mate of hers, who is half Merino and half Cotswold. She is a little shaggy this year, but should have spectacular wool next year. It was one year ago Monday that we bought our first wool sheep. Geez, I feel like one of those crazy ladies that collects cats. :)

Brenda - I am terrible about fulfilling goals. But this year I plan to try to finish up a bunch of works in progress and start pointedly using up my stash.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  3:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Lori, you were only about an hour and half from me! You should have come on up.
I think those are great goals, and mine for next year (2012) will be similar...IF I accomplish this year's goals!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  6:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. We have had a stormy day today. About a foot of snow so far and still snowing. Had a 4 1/2 hour power outage this afternoon too. A good excuse to sit and ply yarn and listen to an audio book on my kindle. Now it will mean moving snow like crazy. The storm is supposed to taper off tonight and we are heading into a deep freeze starting tomorrow. Gotta get this moved before it freezes solid. I'm looking forward to a peaceful evening and a bowl of homemade chicken soup. Hope all is well with everyone tonight.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Okay to try and catch up! I haven't got the dresses finished yet so I will post pics when I do! I have been trying to get things back in some order since Christmas and I finally got the girls room organized! I Have been is a serious cleaning mode lately and i stripped some painted wood in my kitchen and sanded it to bare wood and I love it now! I can't believe I haven't done it before because I have not liked it for 6 years! I also painted the bathroom and have a bit more to go to finish it completely and then on to the front room! No real word on the house yet!

Lori, Congrats on the wheel! Isn't it amazing what hubby's make mental notes of! I got a Cuisinart Food Processor for Christmas and I was so completely surprised, especially since I got a small lecture the week before about the budget when I hinted about a knitting book that I would really like! I love it though and I have used it a lot so far!

Sarita, That would be too funny to turn around to see a hitchhiker! What a sweet moment!

Brenda, My goal is to get organized!

Sheri, hope you stay warm! We are getting a good bit of cold weather here! It was only in the very low 40's today and very windy and rainy!

Grace and Rae, Stay safe and warm too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  07:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, sounds like you have really been hit hard. But sometimes weather can cause us to snuggle down and take care of spinning, knitting, or reading a book...with no guilt.
Lori, I sat and spun on a wheel like yours at Bethel show and I loved it. It spun so easily. Stan is a good man. I know what you mean about collecting sheep. There is that vision of that lovely wool. And there is that gentle sweet face. Who can not like a sheep! My are the biggest pets.
Monica, sounds like you are busy. I work on getting organized every year as well as weight loss, simplifying my life...has not worked so far...why not another year. But this year I think I will concentrate on working on this old farmhouse. I lso plan to travel more to see my grandchildren. Michigan and Nebraska, here we come.
Brenda, how is the wool coming along? Have you spun any yet? Sounds like we are in for some cold weather. Way to start the new year! But Rae, I think you will get the blunt of it after it leaves Sheri.
Grace, sounds like you will get the bad weather too. How long till birthing time for you?
I did not have a written contract with the wool processor just a verbal, I had sent 5 or 6 fleeces to see their work with plans to send them more if their equipment could handle the longer wool and they did a nice job. I talked to the owner and she said they were very busy and several were ahead of me and that it would probably be 6 months before I got my yarn back. I guess I got all ready to get my wool the first of October and I do not like to wait on anything. I past this trait on to a couple of my children. I think I will get a few fleeces ready and ship to the processor that Lori mentioned. They won't take the fleeces that are over 7 inches long. Wish I was a rich woman, I would be getting the equipment in here to open my own wool processing mill. I think I would love it. I am a happy woman when I am working with wool. I think it would be so much fun to have a store front with spinning, weaving, and rug hooking equipment and of course a wide variety of wool roving, raw wool, dyes, carders to sell and a mill in the back. I would be in heaven. My location would be the killer, so far from the population. I guess I will dream on!

but shouts in our pains;

C. S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page