Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile
What crazy weather!! Hard to believe that it's the end of Feb. it feels more like December. Bitter cold with high winds and about 8 to 10 inches of snow. Hard to know how much since there is so much drifting and white out conditions at times. I am so tired of this. Normally it's about 38 to 40 this time of year. We are supposed to be -22 by tomorrow night. Sheep are hunkered down in the barn out of the wind (they only seem to go in to eat or if it's snow and wind). All I can say is brrrrr!!! I got the gate shoveled out so I can get a plow in here when the wind stops. Until then there is no point with all the drifting. All the schools are closed from North Idaho to Spokane - even colleges. Step son stayed here last night as his girl friend works at the hospital in Newport and was pulling a 12 hr. shift. She managed to get in here this morning to pick him up and head back up there for her OB appointment as she is supposed to have an ultra sound today to find out what gender their baby is (due in June). I sure hope they get up there and then home to Spokane safely.

Hope everyone else is safe and warm.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  12:11:42 PM  Show Profile
It's snowing here, too. I want the sunshine back!
I am washing about 1/3 of one of my fleeces right now. I have been watching all sorts of you tube videos to remind myself how to use a drop spindle. It's been years since I bought this one and the lady I bought it from gave me a brief demo on how to use it and a piece of paper with some rough drawings and a short little description of how to do it. After watching these videos...I realize how wrong I was doing it way back when. I guess the "Yarn" I got out of it wasn't too awful considering! LOL!
Okay, I have a question. Is there a way to spin the wool with a drop spindle only combing it and not having a carder? This is Icelandic, so maybe Grace can help? I saw someone spinning "in the grease" and it looked like she was just spinning the locks withought making roving (Sarita, you asked me once if I'd ever done that...no, never)...but can that be done with a drop spindle? Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sheri, Rae and Michele...don't blow away out there. We're holding onto our hats here!
Are you getting this weather down there, Sarita? I sure hope this is winter's last stand.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I hope the temps get better for you!!

Michele, I my opinion, having fun wit hit is the most important thing! As you go, you will learn different techniques, but if you are having fun then go for it and see what happens! I really like the yarn that you did! it looks nice and fluffy!

Brenda, Do you have hand cards because if you do, you can make rolags and spin those with a drop spindle! If you don't have hand cards, then you can use a flick carder or even a small dog brush to fluff open the ends of a lock and then spin from that. If you have wool combs, you could always comb some and then pull it through a diz and make you own pulled roving and spin from that! I think with Icelandic it would be better to use combs on it and then you could spin from that.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile
I have wrote two different post, almost get done and my curser jumps somewhere else and I hit the back key and loose it all...pretty ..... aggravating.
Ladies, your yarns are both beautiful! I could think of some pretty good functions for both of them. Michelle, your color is lovely.

More Snow! I am with you Brenda. I am ready for Spring! I would comb the wool to spin.

Lori, are you getting snow too? Hope you are feeling better.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  4:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am planning to comb it...I have a nice long-haired dog's comb that looks very much like the combs I've seen on-line. But I don't have anything to card with to make rolags or roving. So, can I just spin the combed locks? Do I need to do anything special to them? I saw a lady spining locks with a spinning wheel, but didn't know if I could do that with a spindle.
We have turned white again up here. And it keeps on coming!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,

No snow, just more rain (more mud). It was ankle deep in some spots in the pasture. Everything is rocking along about the same with my tummy. I will be fine - apparently the predictions of my death by sunset were unfounded! :)

Sarita, the fleece on your blog made me drool and balance my checkbook. Alas, our money tree isn't producing much either. Glad to see you sold them all!

Been spinning away on a BFL dyed roving I bought a long time ago. I finished it today and think i will spin another solid single to ply with it so the colors don't get muddied up or lost.

Do you ladies put "socks" on your sheep when you shear? Our Jacob sheep nearly went into shock last year after she was "naked" and I luckily had a sock that came with our clippers. She was shivering, more like uncontrollable spasms, and rolling her eyes back in her head. It was 45-ish that day. After she got the sock on she was fine. She was our rescue, and I don't think she had ever been sheared in her few years of life, so I know it was cold for her. We are going to pen them back in the barn for at least that night.

Anybody heard from Grace? Kinda worried about her!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  08:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! I hope that you have a great day!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  08:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, A very Happy Birthday to you! May you realize many blessings today and in the coming year.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Sarita. I hope you have a fantastic day and a wonderful celebration.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday to youuuuu, Sarita, Happy birthday to you....

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone...you made my day! They called school off for snow and that was the icing on the cake. I got to spend my birthday at home, washing wool, crafting, cleaning and eating coconut cake....my perfect day!
I hope Grace is OK...

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:03:33 PM  Show Profile
So glad you had a good day, Sarita. I, too, hope Grace is okay.
I got about a yard of yarn spun. I would have done more, but it is taking forever for the wool to dry! I got impatient and pulled off a few locks that seemed at least mostly dry :O Haha! I would say it definately fits the category of "novelty" yarn! I sure hope more of it will be dry tomorrow so I can play with it all day!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  7:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - I am back! I computer Hard Drive crashed on Saturday evening and I just got the monster back tonight at 5pm. I had well over 800 emails so I am quickly trying to get thru it all.

I have not had a chance to read things but there was a question about spinning Icelandic in the grease without combing or carding. I do that all the time with many fibers - I do what is called spinning over the fold with is bending the fiber over my index finger and then having a drafting V which I pull the from and spin. I love doing tis type of spinning when I am evaluating fleeces - gives me tons of info on the fiber. I also love the look of it and with Icelandic it is the way most LOPI yarn is made. Good luck.

Catch up with you all later. Hope all is well.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  11:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you had a great birthday Sarita!
Yaaaa Brenda, making novelty yarn!!! Have fun with it. That is what I call my yarn.
Oh Lori, your poor ewe. My sheep are happy when the whole ordeal is over. It takes us way too long to shear them! They do enjoy getting all those itchy spots taken care of though. The first time they were sheared, I let the first one go, and he ran into his barn pen and stayed there. Then Jill joined him. I left the gate open all day, and they would not come outside! Poor things were traumatized!
Boy 800 emails, Grace. That would almost drive a person crazy! You don't want to be down for too long. I hope they were all sales!
Enjoy your weekend
Michele

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  07:32:28 AM  Show Profile
I had a great birthday! Hubby took me out to eat, washed wool, played with the sheep, had a pleasant day just going from one thing I like to do to another! I am blessed!

Foggy, moisture dripping and 35 degrees here this morning. I have a sore throat and acting like I am coming down with a chest cold. Staying home from church this morning. Danny is having biscuits and new molasses...he is a happy man.

Lambing time is nearing, I want to put in a couple more jugs in the lower east end of the barn and be ready to put down fresh straw.

Michele, Poor sheared sheep! My sheep go to butting each other like they don't know each other anymore. (I can't tell them apart either for awhile and until their personalities start shining.)

Grace, you must have a person that works on your computer that is more reasonable than we have here. It is cheaper to buy a new computer here if you have a major problem. I am glad that you have it up and going...you were missed.

Brenda, I bet your designer yarn is lovely.

My coffee is done brewing...have a good day

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  1:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Everyone must be extremely busy it's been so quiet here. Got woke up at 5 AM with a huge blast of wind. Scared me it was so loud. Decided to get up and get the coffee going just in case the power decided to quit. I went out the front door to check things out and I could hear the wind roaring but there was no air movement where I was standing. Too weird. A few minutes later the wind was down at ground level again but that was really creepy. It was like that when we had a tornado a few years ago. The wind makes me gittery with so many tall trees around me but this was really strange. It has finally died down a bit but it's snowing again. Will we ever get past this winter? We have had snow on the ground since a week before Thanksgiving.

Congrats on all the new babies, Grace. Another bottle fed little one, you sure have your hands full.

Glad to hear you had a good birthday, Sarita. Hope you are feeling better.

Back to work. Time to put the snow gear on and head down to the barn. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  2:54:22 PM  Show Profile
Sheri how scarey! I would say you had something like a micro burst there - it feels like all the air is sucked out and your in a bubble. Be careful - we had horrible wind all weekend - broke many things, tossed items all around and keep me on edge along with the animals. Very hard to feed in this weather.

Sarita I missed your birthday did I - sorry so a BIG BIG BIG BIRTHDAY WISH... Are you feeling O.K.??? Just about everyone I know is sick and I have been battling not to get down with something or pass it on to the little ones.

Monica, your a grandmother!!! My four legged Monica gave birth with a ton of prayers, years of skill and almost breaking my hand - read all about the adventure on the blog. She is being a great mother and I think Mishka will be delivering today. The little one in the house is doing much better but Ebony is struggling to regain her health so she is not the least bit able to care for this one. So what you going to do but feed every hour and get no sleep....

Sounds like Brenda you are having fun spinning. I managed to sit and spin a couple of nights ago because I just needed to recenter. Is there a place to see the yarn??

Lori, sorry to read about the shearing trauma - it happens and they do forget but some seem I think remember and never forget. Let's hope that is not the case..

Still trying to get thru the emails - wished they all where sales but I had one lady go off on me for a $3.75 order. Some folks just really need to get a life and calm down.. She placed the order Wednesday - got the computer back friday and shipped Saturday but that was not good enough for her because she wanted it for her daughters Monday morning Social Studies project.. I sure had to bite my lip and not tell her what I thought - do you ever get those types of customers???

Anyway better run - bottle time, butt checking time and still not sure what I am eating for dinner. Forgot to eat Sunday and almost passed out in the barn this morning... Silly Grace. Hugs to you all you have been in my thoughts, prayers and heart.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  08:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I had to laugh when I read that I was a grandma!!! I am so excited!! Oh how I wish that I could just hop in the car and come see my new grand baby!!!:)Please post pics as soon as you can! I will be praying for Ebony! Sorry about the customer! Fortunately I have not had one like that, but I am sure I will someday! I think she should have ordered it sooner! Even if you had shipped it out the next day, it still may have not made it in time!

Sarita, So happy to hear that you had a wonderful birthday!

Brenda, You need to post pics of your yarn!!:)

Sheri, Glad to hear that you are okay! That would be very scary!

Michele, I can just picture those poor sheep not knowing what to do!!:)

Well I am off to get the kids going on school work! Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  08:33:15 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful day here this morning. It is above freezing, and I even shoveled a path, and hung out 2 loads of clothes! I have 3 three calves now. 2 girls and a boy. The girls will help get the herd built back up again, after having to cull so hard a few years ago. Had to warm up one of the girls, but she is doing fine. At least they can warm up in the sunshine today. Momma's keep them outside, so have put bedding out for them. Been working on plans for the century farm celebration at my dads. Got invites made up now and he got all his info, so the application went through. He has been looking forward to this. With our grandson it will be 6 generations on that farm. We don't live there, but we farm and pasture the land.
take care all, and good luck with the babies.
michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning - it's snowing, again. At least it's warmer and the wind finally quit. My poor sheep look depressed right along with the rest of us. I think they are tired of this too! I wonder if they dream of green pastures? I know I do....

Congrats on the new babies, Michele. Glad to hear they are doing well. I kinda miss the cows. We had them for a long time but being here by myself I think I have all I can handle with just the sheep and chickens. How neat to be having a century farm celebration. What exactly is it?

Hope all is well with your babies, Grace and hopefully you got a little shut eye. I don't know how you do it. I can't believe that someone could be so impractical to order so late. People just don't get it. I used to get my fair share of lulu customers when I had the cabinet shop so I do know what you mean. Take care and be safe and remember to eat.

Have a great day everyone. I am back to work on my picture until it's time to slog down to the barn again.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  05:11:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheri, a Century Farm is one that has been in the same family ownership for 100 years. My greatgrandfather bought the place in 1911. My dad bought it from the family in I think 1961. The state fair does a program, plaque and stuff in August. It is a way to honor those families that have kept ownership for that long. They even have farms in the families for 150 years. That list is not very long though.
They are calling for 2-3 inches of snow tomorrow for us. Yes we are tired of it too. It is moisture for the ground though. I keep trying to remind myself of that fact. We get teased with above freezing days, and I certainly hate going back to cold. Yesterday high of 38 today, supposed to be a high of 18. I did start some pepper seed, but they have not come up yet.
I have had one bad expierence selling on this site, and I don't care to try selling again. Good luck with sales.
Take Care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  07:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Sorry I've been away for awhile. I hate to tease everyone but we finally had a 70 degree day yesterday. Cooler than that today but I hope we are done with our cold, cold days. I have been trying to find some time to ride my horse. He hasn't been ridden since dec!! I am hoping I will be able to show him this summer if I have enough $$$$.
I am still on my quest for goats. Does anyone know of a good book on angora goats? I am going to go visit a breeder in here in KS this month. However she is really into Alpaca(which I can't afford) and just started into colored angora goats. So she really doesn't have anything to sell. Please let me know if you all know of anyone selling well bred registered goats that are within driving distance of KS. I really didn't expect it to be this hard to buy goats!!!
I would like to go to Wool fest in Estes Park but it is the same weekend as our river festival and we may have company from out of town. Is anyone else going
Sheri, how cool is that a century. Congrats to your family. The celebration sounds like a blast.
How everyone has a great day. Today is our 20th wedding anniversary. Can't believe he put up with me and my animals for this long! hahaha.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Seri, the event sounds wonderful and I can not wait to hear how it all turns out. Amazing!!!
Michele, I am sorry to hear of your bad experience but I have been selling for 15 years and I think I have only had about a dozen really stupid buyers so don't let someone chase you away from bringing your business in bloom.
Lisa, for 16 year we showed and then became a vendor at Estes Park Wool Festival. I will be selling goats this year but you want registered and I no longer do that.. There are many books out there my favorites and ones that I always recommend to those who purchase my animals are "Cashmere - the complete guide from fibre to fashion by Sue Meech" and "Angora Goats the Northern Way by Susan Black Drummond" I have many more but those are the beginners. There are many more but those are some starters...

Today was 62 degrees - wonderful but I guess it is changing by tomorrow. We really need moisture but none in sight. I know - Never Happy!! The Mothers are having a hard time with the heat and all their fiber but the babies are getting to run around outside and having more fun then a body should be allowed.

Have a great day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile
You ladies all sound very busy. Grace, I have been following your blog and your babies are beautiful! I bet they are silky soft.

Had a mess unfold on Ravelry today. It really cut deep, and in response I would write mean, ugly things, then hit delete and backspace when I saw how un-Christian they sounded. It is hard to remember that just because someone else stoops to that level doesn't mean you have to go there too. But it still hurts.

Shearer is going to be here Friday. Stan is taking tomorrow off and we are getting the barn ready and everyone moved and in place. This is very exciting!

Hope everyones' wonderful temperatures hold for a while. I love this weather.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  3:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Lori I am so very sorry - I so understand!! You want to walk in the world and be kind and someone comes after you with all the poison and mean spiritness they can summon up. It is so hard not to defend yourself and try to cut them deeper but you are so right - it is better to let it go the best you can and move foreword in peace and light. Just know you are loved here and I only wish for your higher good.

Good luck with the shearer - lot's of work ahead of you for the next couple of days but it will be great when it is done. I will be thinking of you.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page