Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. There appears to be a bit of confusion in the posts. It's Michele's family that is having the Century farm celebration. I just asked her what it was. So congrats to Michele's family. I think it's great that your state acknowledges long standing family farms.

Lori, kudos to you to not plug in and be spiteful back even though the temptation was huge. I know it can be hurtful sometimes but I, for one am very proud of you. It's actions like that that eventually will change the world for the better. Good luck with the shearing - what a big job. Will you process your wool yourself or send it out to be done?

Glad to see on your blog that you finally cooked yourself a decent meal, Grace. Hope the weather cools a bit for your animals but not so much that it complicates things. Congrats on more births. Hope everyone is staying happy and healthy.

Has anyone heard from Sarita? I hope she isnt still sick.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  5:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh am I bad - brain dead is more like it... Sorry for the mix up on the folks - sorry Michele - all I can say is lack of sleep.

I have not heard for Sarita but I admit I am so behind on my reading that I have no clue what is going on but I have her in my prayers and sure hope that she is on the mend.

I took down half the pens today now that the ladies and kids are getting a bit settled. I have left Monica and Olivia in their pens and Mishka and Lilly are still in their birthing holding patterns. I want to be able to start mucking out the barn but all in good time. I am still searching for hay getting down to the uncomfortable levels - so many hay farms went under last year that it is nail bitting time.

Little girl in the bathroom is doing wonderful and loves to snuggle - we went for a bit of a walk in a circle on the driveway so she getting sunlight and fresh air - attached to my heels and crying but we walked.

Hope everyone has a great night and can not wait to see the fleeces after shearing day.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Sheri - I constantly waffle back and forth about sending it off to the mill. Some I hope to sell as raw fleeces, and hopefully that will happen. I hate the volume loss that has to take place at a mill, and I am terrible at waiting. BUT...it really takes a lot of time to process it all myself, but there isn't near the loss, and if there is a wait, it is my own doing. Then, there is deciding which fleeces I want to turn loose of and they are all so pretty!!! How do I decide?

Thank you for the encouragement. It was really hard. Sometimes I think people act ugly on the internet because they can hide behind being anonymous. Oh well, I know some really nice ladies here! More than makes up for it!!!

I think we are going to have to find a new home for the LGD puppies. Tonight, one of them turned on Oscar (the wether goat, who fully believes he is king of the pasture and lets everyone else know it) over the goat's own food, and I had just put their dog food out. She snarled and bit and put him on the ground. I also noticed where they had been chewing on the young buck's ears, and now he is acting totally cowed down. He won't even come out of the shelter at meal time. I have tried and tried to work with them, but they are both very stubborn. Countless times I have worked with them on a leash, and you would think I am torturing them. I guess I shouldn't have let them win the first time. They need a firmer hand than my own, and will make great pets for someone. I hate giving up.

I really appreciate you ladies, more than you know.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on Mar 02 2011 7:00:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  03:07:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all, well not really. Just walked outside and hear a darn Timber Wolf out there. I tell you those need to be off the endangered list here, there are way too many!!!

Weather has been so so here, some snow today. Watching a big storm next week which would be right on schedule as hockey tournaments start. Usually for on the of state tourneys there is a blizzard or nasty storm, just part of MN weather system

Not much new on this end. Take care every one!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  04:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I hope you would defend your animals, endangered or not. I have shot towards 3, a few years back. They had all my cows in a corner, by my barn. That got the blood pumping. Of course by the time I ran to get my gun, they had backed off, but I wanted to scare them. If they would of been closer I would of done more.
Lori, I agree, people can hide on the internet. Good luck with the dogs and shearing.
Grace, don't worry about the confusion. I mix things up sometimes myself. I know what you meant. How many babies you got to go? It sure is fun to see the babies enjoying the nice weather. I could stand and watch them for hours. Doing some spinning, almost every day. I would like to get my wool spun up before we shear again. Will leave a couple batts to play with. I made some angels last year. You make them like the "old" yarn angels. Maybe some of you have made them as kids? I will have to get one out, and post a pic. It is a quick little gift, or decoration.
Sheri, hope your weather is getting nicer. Forgive me, I don't remember for sure, but were you the gal who had a friend staying the winter? If so , hope you were able to have a grand time crafting and such.
Well time to go out and "check the herd", let the sheep out, and feed the chickens. Got to head to the feed store today. One month till my heifer freshens. She has been standing in the milking stall pretty good. Will be a two person job for a while, till she gets used to being milked.

take it easy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  10:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Grace Thanks for the info. I will get both those books. Let me know what you have for sale as I may not be able to find any registered goats. I will keep looking. I wish I could go to woolfest, it sounds like so much fun!
Sounds like everyones weather is getting better. It's about time. I finally get to ride my horse on Monday. I can't wait. I haven't been on him since dec! I am going to try to ride 2 times a week. we'll see how it goes. Itry to have a lesson every week but I'm broke right now and haven't been working. I'm trying to find somethings I can do from home to make some money. I am going to start selling eggs, but it will take alot of eggs to support my horses!LOL
Lori what kind of dogs are they?
Not much else going on here. My husband and I had our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday.We didn't do to much as we just bought bedroom funiture as our gift to each other. We will finally have a bedroom set for the first time in 20 years!! I can't wait till it gets here.
I love hearing everyones stories!
have a great day.
lisa
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  11:09:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace I love hearing reading your blog. You are one busy lady!
Lisa, congrats on the anniversary! My husband and I just had one, married 19yrs!
I hope all of you are staying warm and dry. I do believe wet season has just begun!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  11:19:05 AM  Show Profile
We have sunshine....how novel!! It's so nice to see the sun and have the temps at 30 instead of -10. It's supposed to cloud up and storm again later this afternoon but I'll take what I can get. Yes,I had my friend here for the winter. I think she is suffering from serious cabin fever. I think she will be heading back to CA in about two weeks or so depending on the weather. It's been a pretty long, dark winter here and not what she is used to. They get snow down there but not the dark greyness of the Pacific Northwest.

I think I would send fiber out if I could afford it. The problem for me is too many things I need to do and not enough time to actually do it all! I usually get them all picked and washed right away or at least as soon as the weather will allow. I have quiet a bit clean but uncarded already. I know that unless this weather mellows out it will be awhile before shearing. Poor things would freeze. Right now they have some super long fleeces - I guess the cold is good for something. Sorry to hear about your puppy issues. I raised Anatolians for years and it's a never give an inch when they are small proposition. I don't remember what kind of dogs you have but with an Anatolian pup you'd better nip bad behavior really quick. Not all LGD dogs are suited to guarding livestock. I know that sounds weird but different dogs have different personalities. I used to temperment test pups to see what homes they should go to. Too social - not a good guardian. Too aggressive not a good guardian, etc. It's always sad when you have to let go of an animal you've bonded with. Not everyone liked the Anatolian because they were so dominance orientated and they didn't know how to train them. I would give my eye teeth for another Anatolian with a good blood line but unfortunately with AKC recognition they are darn near impossible to find anymore. I hope you will be able to find them good homes and find another breed or pup that will work with your situation. A good guardian dog is worth it's weight for the protection they offer.

Glad to hear that all is well in your neck of the woods, Rae. I think I'd be taking a few shots myself if my animals were threatened. Do they scare off pretty easily?

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  2:36:57 PM  Show Profile
The two puppies are Komodor (I spelled that wrong) and Great Pry mix. One parent of each. They are very good guard dogs, they run off strays, and are very alert, and we haven't seen a coyote since we got them, and until yesterday, I had never seen them go after a goat or sheep. I think Sheri hit it right on the mark. They are very playful, and I didn't get the upper hand early enough. My dog, Lily, is a basset mix, she is so laid back, and that is what I was used to, and I let them run over me. They are very loveable, and that makes it hard to turn loose of them. I just can't afford to continue feeding 7 dogs!

Stan and I spent the day getting the barn ready for the shearer to come tomorrow. The floor is swept, the holding pens are assembled, and everyone is penned up and ready to go. I can't wait! We only have to set up the catch pen on the outside. I am tired tonight, but you know, it is the good kind of tired.

Lots of anniversaries, marriages and farms! Congratulations to all!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  4:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Ladies, I feel like I missed something somewhere. I got busy for a couple of days and you all went like wildfire!
Did I miss a note that told what happened on Ravelry? I just joined it but haven't really been on it yet at all. Now I'm worried! Whatever it was, Lori, I'm proud of you for handling the situation with dignity.
I have been keeping up with your blog, Grace. You really have been busy, haven't you? Sounds like it's mostly been a good busy, though.
There is a picture of my first yard of yarn on my blog. I have quite a bit more done, now, but will show that laterwhen I blog about what I actually do with the yarn I'm making.
Everything okay, Sarita?
Love the Centry celebration idea. What a great honor, Michele.
Weather was gorgeous here today. I think it got up to 58 today...we were only expecting 50.
Lisa, what kind of horse do you have? I have a Quarterhorse mare. I haven't ridden since August...we are trying to work through some of our issues!
I am planning to start some major spring cleaning next week. My best friend from my Air Force days is coming to visit in two weeks...gotta clean all the winter grunge out before she gets here! I hate cleaning but I hate a dirty house more. I haven't seen her for about 20 years! I'm so excited! I wish we could have a lamb while she is here, but it may be just a little too early, yet.
I hope everyone is having some better weather.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  7:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello...so much has gone on since I was last on. Kinda not felt well, just going through the motion of going to work, choring, to bed...next day, repeat.
Lori, how did the shearing go? My shearer won't be here this Sat. after all, we are not shearing on the 12th. I have the barn and shearing area cleaned but I didn't have the labels made to tag the bags of wool. I am sorry about your puppies. Also sorry about your bad Riv. experience.
Brenda, I think our weather is changing again but I know Spring is near, the redwing blackbirds were here today. I have to say that I was relieved that we were not shearing this weekend because of the cold weather yet to come. Happy cleaning before your friend gets there. My house needs a good from top to bottom cleaning.
Rae, happy shooting. I am not a wolf fan...An old fisher and hunter patient told me that a wolf would eat its prey while it was still alive and the prey would be screaming the whole while. We have had a Mt. Lion killed just about 20 miles cross country from us and another was spotted even nearer. My gun is loaded and I will protect my livestock. A coyote was just across the road from the sheep tonight and Danny and I both shot off a few shells.
I will have to read and catch up with everyone. Tomorrow is Friday and I will have more time on Saturday.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  03:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Michele yes I would chase off the wolf no matter how and what. Just be nice to get them off the list so we could "remove" a few of them.

Sounds like we may get our winter storm Tuesday into Wed. They are watching one close and it is March so... rather the beginning and get done with it and everything can melt.

We won't shear at least until next month toward the end. Neighbor offered to come help so he could learn and then we could help them. Really nice people down the road so that helps.

I too go to work and come home, exhausted. Be glad to see this year done!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  08:14:25 AM  Show Profile
Grace- I looked up those books on amazon and they were $100. Can that be right? They had used ones for $50 but I still thought that was high. Please let me know is you have a better source.

Brenda I have to many horses! Tess, an arab mare, Rohan her son 1/2 arab 1/2 Connemara, Barney Tennesee walker, and Holly a POA. I just gave away my shetland pony to my friends neice who is 6. She is getting much more attention there. I mostly ride hunt seat and dressage. I am hoping to show Rohan this summer. I love to trail ride and spend time with my horse friends. I will try to get some pics posted.

Happy anniversary Angie. You are right behind us!

Hope everyone has a great day!!!
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  10:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - a friend of mine called me and told me that most of the books that I call my bibles in the world of animals and fiber are now in that price range because you can no longer get them.... Amazing - I will be checking it out because one of the books on Angora Bunnies is going fo $250.00 - I must be having a gold mine in my shop and not know it....

Rae sounds like you are being in the same circle as I and we just have to keep going. You will be in my thoughts and paryers.

Snow this morning and then rain - about 30 degrees colder then Thursday and more to come.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:20:40 AM  Show Profile
We are looking at adding sheep to our farm. Any pointers our breed info would be greatly appreciated. I am in Michigan and was hoping to find a local breed. I am interested in the wool but don't have time to spin this year. We also want to get a lamb or 2 in the freezer every fall. So far I have found shetlands and suffolk nearby.
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Icelandics are wonderful multi-purpose sheep. They are pretty easy keepers as sheep go and I know there are several breeders in Michigan. Icelandics are vry cold tolerant. Great wool, mild, tasty meat, and great milkers. hey are a heritage breed, so they are not as tame as some breeds, however, many of ours love nothing better than to come up for a scratch. And, the more time we spend with them, the friendlier they get.
But I am just slightly biased!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  10:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny. I have Shetlands and I love them but I don't use them for meat. I know that suffolk wool isn't very good for spinning. Shetland wool is very long and if you are planning to send the wool out for processing you have to be careful what mill you use as many aren't equipped for wool that long and can't handle it. They are cold tolerant too and work out well for me for weed control as well as they will even eat knap weed which is a real problem here. They are small enough for me to get ahold of easily as well and mine are like spoiled pets since I only have a spinners flock. There are many great fiber breeds out there and I am sure others can give you far better advice than me.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  10:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Sheri, and Icelandics are very much like shetlands in those respects. In fact, the first time I saw pictures of Sarita's Shetlands, I thought they were Icelandics. Another thing to consider (an this may be true of shetlands, I don't know), Icelandics come polled or horned. I knpw some people prefer the polled as they don't want to deal with getting bumped by thse horns. I like my horns, but other than that, they are the same. Shetlands are nice, too....if I weren't raising Icelandics, I would certainly consider raising shetlands.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  7:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Shearing day was wonderful! Danny did such a good job and was amazing to watch. What took us forever last year took him less than 3 hours, including a break! I posted several pictures on my blog. My poor babies are all nekked now. It is like looking at your children and trying to remember how small they were as babies. There just isn't much sheep under all that wool - except for Big Mama, she was rather plump! Sarita - bummer! It must have been hard to get pretty much ready and then have to wait again.

Hope everyone is staying warm. It has been nice here during the days, but cool at night. We are keeping our fingers crossed that winter is gone for good, but you know how it goes.

Past my bedtime - Take care!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  02:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Lori, That didn't happen to be Danny Smith from Missouri, Did it? He is who I use, but I know he travels all over to shear.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  03:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Jenny mine are Columbia and some are that with Shetland. I am new to them as well, only 2 1/2 years under our belt. I plan to spin and kept a small box from last year shearing just to play with and will try save more this year.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  04:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, my 2 sheep are Shetland, and border Leicester cross. My ewe is polled and the wether has horns. I personally would make sure no horns. Jacks horns keep growing, and they want to go into his head. We keep trimming every year, and I don't know how much longer we will be able to.
Lori, Brenda enjoyed your pictures on your blogs. Brenda your yarn is really nice looking, love the color.
Hope you have nicer weather Sheri. Rae we are hearing about that same storm on Tues, or Wed. Heavy wet snow, not looking forward to that. Hope that wolf has left your area.
Working on spinning white wool yesterday.
Have a great Sunday

Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  07:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I LOVE the pics on your blog!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

modjeska
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Lisa
Salina Kansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Lori great pics!
Grace- I found the book, Angora goats the northern way on the Hill Sheperd Farm website for $22. I bought it right away!! Do you know anything about them. It looks like they have some pretty nice goats.

I was wondering what kind of grain is everyone feeding there lactating does? I have been using purina goat chow but it is very expensive. are there any alternitives?
Hope everyone has a happy sunday. I have a roast in the crockpot and I am going to try and finish the sock I am knitting. It's my first time knitting socks and I am half way though my first one.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile
My heart is heavy. We lost our little billy goat, Drummer, this morning - the daddy of the twin boys. He had been "off" for a few days, and we did everything we knew to do, but it wasn't enough. Last night he seemed better, but this morning when I got home from work, I knew it wasn 't good. I hurriedly threw some towels in the wagon and got him in it and up to the house. Don't know what I thought I was going to do there that couldn't be done in the pasture. I could tell he wasn't going to make it, so I just sat and petted him and told him I loved him until he left. Ugh. I hate this. And the worst is yet to come when I have to tell Avery tonight that Drummer is gone. Please say a prayer for a little boy about 4:00 this afternoon if you can.

Lori

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page