Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  09:04:45 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I bet you past your test with flying colors. Hope your new ram is doing OK. My biggest spring ram lamb is limbing and I got him caught and checked his feet and couldn't find anything, trimmed his hooves and soaked them in betadine solution, they didn't have any odor or no sores...gave him a shot just in case I was missing something. We have had so much rain and mud to contend with this Spring.

I love your sheep names, I don't have a system or plan, if a sheep's personality reminds me of someone, I usually name them that. The ewe and lamb at the bottom of my blog is named after a woman that is very dominating over her son. I just have to watch what I am saying around friends and neighbors but my hubby knows which sheep I am talking about.

The electric fence is just not working. It is 4 strands, all new wire, new post and the sheep have enough wool that they can just go through. I worked on it again last night and this morning when I turned them out...straight for the hay ground like there was no fence. They have honored it pretty much until the last week or two except for a couple of rebels. Do you guys have any luck with electric fences? If so what and how are you set up?
Rae, so glad you got your new ewe. Babies next Spring???

Jami, I will go to your web page. I really like your blog. I need some help with getting creative on the blog. I should be out in the garden weeding too but it is so muddy and looking for more rain today.

I am going to start to wash a couple of shetland fleeces today and while they are soaking, I am going to pound on the ash tree to get weavers for some basket weaving. (I am going to hate to go back to work this fall.)

Everybody have a good day
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  09:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Lori, I am sure you will sail through your test with no problems. I think your sheep names are great. Let us know how the test went.

Today is supposed to be even warmer than yesterday but I sure wish the wind would die down. I got one fleece picked and washed yesterday - finally. Today I go at it again. Should be able to start harvesting strawberries this afternoon. Everything is so late this year. Berries are smaller than normal but at least I am going to get some - it was down to 27 during the bloom so I wasn't so sure.

Sarita, how do you pound ash for making baskets? I love to weave baskets but have never made my own splits. We don't have ash here - is there another type of wood that would work too?

Jami - glad to hear you figured out the newsletter. I will have to go up on your site and check it out, it's been awhile since I visited. Glad to hear your garden is doing well. Mine is finally perking up - tomatoes look like they will live after all. Bell Peppers - still not too sure. I ate my first salad out of the garden yesterday.

Congrats on your successful barter, Rae. A new ewe - how wonderful. Are you getting the intense heat up there too?

Monica - you should post about your new blog on " across the fence" so more folks know about it. I really do like the idea so much. You never know - sometimes just a smile or nod could save someones life. Simple kindness is severely under rated.

Back to work. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Well, I passed! Didn't hit any cars or run over anyone and managed to remember all of the parts that need inspecting before you take off. Whew.

I wish we could go organic. Our land shares fences with 3 other pastures, so our critters have access to other farm animals. We apparently also have black leg in our soil. When my FIL was alive, he lost 2 very young calves to it before we could get them vaccinated, so now everything has to be vaccinated soon after it is born. We have been told that once it is in your soil, it is there always. And 36 cents a shot is a small price to pay when you are talking about the death of a calf. Our land has an old Civil War road bed that crosses it, so who knows what is here.

Sarita, we use a 3 wire electric fence to make temporary pastures so we can rotate the sheep/goat/donkey population around in the cow pasture. We use the nylon rope with the wire woven in it and push in stakes - probably just like you are using. Our lowest wire is barely clearing the grass, middle about 8" above and top wire up another 8". I wondered if their wool would insulate them enough they would go through it, but so far, only one has tried and been successful. I think the lowest wire is the biggest deterent. Noses almost always hit it or the one above it before the head gets much of the way through. I watched our sweetest old cow unintentionally bump her nose on it one night before I could stop her. It broke my heart. My boys love to dare each other to touch it, and believe it or not, the goobers do it sometimes.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:47:51 AM  Show Profile
CONGRATS Lori!!! Way to go, you rock girl, rah rah sis boom bah!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile
I am doing the Happy Dance for you Lori!!! Congrat's I knew you could...

Your right about the fence line - that is why when I put in my fences I put is way in from my property line so no other animal from other farms could get close to mine. Also, I did soil samples and such to make sure that the ground was safe. Then also I do not let folks who have or have been around animals off my driveway which is blocked from the animals. I agree that giving a shot is much better then losing any animal. I tell folks you have to find your own mission statement and practices. I have had a closed farm and herds for so many generations that I have the ability to not require such things. That is why I can give you information but everyone has to know when they stand and then go from there... Also every county and state have their own issues and you must become informed about those to make your plan.

Still doing the Happy Dance Lori - oh and on the issue of electric fences - I never put them in because I had two boys who could not remember to shut things down so I worried they would hurt themselves. Also, I put in graduated fencing so I had safety from bad nasties come in - a bear, mountain lion and such do not stop at electric..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Lori, My prayers are with you for the CDL test today! To update this: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You would all be proud of me for standing up for myself today! I had to go down into town today and on my way back up to Oatman, there was a Chevy Blazer that was tailgating me most of the way even though I am so used to the road, I usually go about 10 miles faster than the speed limit! At one point almost to Oatman, he went to pass me on double yellow lines and on curves, but there was a car coming, so he pulled back behind me quickly! When I got into town I parked and went to find him! He was parked not far from me in front of one of the shops and I went up to him and told him that he should not tail gate people. He had his wife and 2 small kids with him! He said that I was going so slow and I yelled back that I was going 10 miles over the speed limit and that he needs to learn how to drive! I should have given him a "break test"! I could use a new jeep! So any way, I stood up for myself!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 07 2010 2:03:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Lori...oohhhh, drivin' my life away...in the words of Eddie Rabbit? If I remember correctly. Way to go.

Rae, Nellie will be okay. She'll adjust to her new flock in a short while. I have found that for the most part, unless they are bummers, the sheep don't get nearly as attached to me as I do to them. Provide food, water and shelter and they are happy.

I don't see any way for us to go organic as nice and beautiful as it sounds...just too much to deal, pest-wise. But Grace would be your option for some info on that as she's been there and done that! : )

Sheri, bell peppers here are puny too but it's just like you said about the tomatoes and just today my sugar pea pods are blooming and the potatoes began a few days back. I have a ton of lettuce and spinach is going to seed almost. And I can actually say a few corn plants are knee high! Woo hoo. With the cool weather the cilantro is awesome. I've never grown such nice cilantro! Usually it goes to seed very quickly.

I was pulling my hair out this morning working on the updates on the website. Call into support, etc. Yuck. I know just as much as the support person does but not enough to do my own coding. I use their cheater software and it's limited and frustrating sometimes. I did get the newsletter sign up on there but took the form off...it made my navigation menu disappear so now it takes you to a separate page to sign up! Technology, smeckology.

Sarita, I can show you easy how to make your blog look great, not that it doesn't now, but the new templates they have for blogger are quite simple to use with many options for some ba-zing.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:09:13 PM  Show Profile
FYI - our farm website address is:

http://www.washingtontexels.com

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:44:44 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would show you all what i have been working on lately! I got 2 books on knitting lace shawls so this is m start of yarn for a shawl! It's Shetland that I got from Sarita and it is spinning up so very nicely! so far the single is 48 wraps per inch!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Jami I signed up for your newsletter

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  9:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Ladies I just got off the computer to go to bed and checked phone messages - Monica is in need of our prayers. From what I gather Gary had an accident on his ATV - I only have that he hurt his hand and has cuts to his head. Monica is scared and in need of our prayers. Please pass it on if you belong to prayer circles - I have already sent my request in and they will be working for the higher good.

Thanks ladies and Monica we are with you and yours in this time of healing.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  9:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I need the ba-zing! I really like the looks of your rams. Nice web site. I just use the canned stuff for my blog and look at other's with envy!!!

Heah! Lori, way to go! Congratulations! Sounds like our electric fence is about the same, I think the sheep now have the longer wool and are sliding right through. It is throwing plenty of shock. I know it will put out the shock! Last night I wanted to see if the light was blinking and the sun was shining in my eyes so I took my hand to block the sun and accidently hit the live post on the charger and I got the shock of my life. Of course the ground is wet and I had on my frogs...whew, it was an almost a wet my pants moment! It took me awhile to recoup and as I am telling Danny what I did, he goes to chuckling, but saying it wasn't funny but the way I was telling him the story was funny...well, I believed that! LOL, I felt like a frog leg in hot grease there for awhile! so this morning when I turned the sheep out after all the work I have put in and the torture of electric shock and I watched the wooly little burgers just run right through it to the hay field like it wasn't there...if my cordial had been ready I would have drank the whole gallon! (I didn't)

Monica, the wool is spinning up nice. I washed a small silver fleece today and I think it would work up great in lace. I have never knitted lace yet in all my years of knitting. I love the lace shawls...you go girl!

Michele, how are you?

Sherri, brown ash is the only tree that I have tried to hammer and pull the strips. We have taken small oaks and split them to make handles. We have more hickory on this place but I have not gave that a try yet. I have more basket than I know what to do and continue to get more. What is it about boxes and baskets? Danny has made me some oak strips and handles. My favorite basket to weave is the egg basket. I have made and use oak pie baskets frequently to take pies to church dinners. I make up small jelly baskets to use to give my homemade jellies when I need a small gift. What kind of baskets do you like to weave?

Rae, have you named your new sheep? What kind of cattle are you planning on getting? Beef or milk cows?

Grace, I sit down with Danny to watch some TV and he had recorded Tractor pulling...a woman driving THE BLACK WIDOW won her class at Bowling Green OHio and I thought about your story...and chuckled again.

We got another inch of rain this afternoon, I can't keep the sheep lot clean, there is mud holes everywhere. I go do chores and come in to take a shower night and morning. I have to empty the feed pans and troughs before I can feed the sheep. It is a mess! I just hope the sheep can stay healthy till we can get some dryer weather.

Later gators
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Thank you so much for posting for me!

Just to let you all know, Gary is home now after being at the emergency room for about 4 hours! He doesn't have any broken bones but he is banged up pretty good! He did have to have stitches on the top of his head! It has been a long night! Isaiah was with him and luckily he got off the ATV before it started to slide! Gary jumped off too but hit his head and rolled on the hill!

Talk to you all in the morning!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  04:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Monica prayers are coming strong your and Gary's way!! How scary and it can happen so fast.

I haven't named my new one yet as I haven't gotten it. I did not explain that part I will have her in a month as she was finishing up with a lamb she had in the spring. Told him no problem but will bring Nellie over soon.

My brother flies in tonight from Texas. He will be here 11 days, well at our folks but that is just in town here. Haven't seen him for a year so pretty excited. Told him I will let him help with chores
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  04:39:42 AM  Show Profile
best wishes to Gary, glad your son was not on at the time.
Had a dressing change yesterday. Oh gosh I have a crator behind my knee. The inflamation is gone around the wound, and the tissue is looking pink and healthy. Hoping it stays that way. Will see the doctor on Friday and ask about a tissue sample. When I first went in he put me on amoxicillian. Right now I am just taking ibuphron for pain. (I am a bad speller). Thanks Sarita for the heads up. Oh the wound is about 2x1x1/2", seems just huge. I am feeling just fine, but the wound is feeling more sore, tight, like healing is going on.
MOnica your yarn is just beautiful. Enjoy creating with it.
The dyes I ordered from ParadiseFiber are heading my way. Looking forward to playing with that.
In my opinion, all your blogs look great! I don't do one, so would not know where to start!
Humidity is gone here now. Hoping to get out and do some weeding. Gosh the weeds sure take over fast.
Take it easy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  07:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Grace, thanks for the alert on Gary. Monica, prayers are heading north (is heaven north?)...well UP...for Gary to heal up quick and calming thoughts are coming your way too. So glad it wasn't any worse and that Isaiah is fine. Maybe shaken but not hurt physically, right?

Sarita - I would love to learn how to weave baskets but only from you. I love your midwest tree fest. We plant a tree here, water the heck out of it and just hope it lives. They are not abundant by any means nor popping up on their own except in the mountains. Just not the precipitation you get. My BIL lives in Illinois and they are forested like crazy too...like 2 different worlds. I had to laugh only a bit at your shocking story...the same way Danny did. It wasn't funny but you told it funny. I always have way too many rams...I'm collecting them is what I tell my husband. : )

Rae, thanks for signing up for the newsletter. I am compiling the first issue now.

I am also going to get pictures of the hay stack for the blog so you all can see my new "fence".

Michele, so glad you're healing up although it sounds ugly. I've always said the first question I was gonna ask God when I meet him is "why spiders, huh?" But I am sure that won't be on my mind if I get the opportunity to have a chat. It will be like Dorothy meeting the Great OZzzzzz.

Today I start working on the Pyr's coat, a bath with a hose, some dehairing and hopefully a belly shave to help him stay cool. Supposed to be 99 today. Too hot for man nor beast. I like it cool.

Take it easy. I'm off to do my weekly run to town to get groceries...on baby alert too...any minute now.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  07:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the prayers! Gary is doing so much better this morning! Way better than I expected! Praise God! It has been a very long night though!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:15:54 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I just read of Gary's accident. We are praying for him to have a fast recovery. So glad your son was not on there too. One to worry about is enough. Hope you are more relaxed and got some rest last night.

Thanks Grace for posting about Monica's husband. We are a pretty strong sheepy society and I feel good that we can pray for each other when we can't actually physically help each other.

Michele, so glad you are doing better, pink tissue is a great sign. Now while weeding, don't go out and find another spider!

Jami, I know our surroundings and climates are so different. I guess I had it in my head that you and Sheri live in a forrest type area, you know great pines everywhere. Did I not see your new BL ram on the web page? I will check again. Please do get pictures of your hay.
Stay cool today...washing and clipping a big dog sounds like a bath coming your way to me.

The tall sacks of fleeces is finally looking manageable. The pile is getting smaller everyday.
I started pounding on the ash trees yesterday and I guess I had let them lay a day too long so they are going in the pond to soak. I want to weave a basket so I may have to get out the reed..like grandma said, "old store brought stuff". And like I told grandma, "sometimes store bought stuff is better and easier." She would then let out a little huff and turn her back on me. She could make me feel so guilty, even when I used oleo. But in her older years (90s)she and I had homemade biscuits with oleo and jam and she liked it. She lived to be 106 but really did not have a good mind after 97. She was a true farm gal.

At 6 am I went out and worked on the electric fence again, making sure that all the wires were in proper alignment and tightened the plastic thing a ma-jigs that hold the wire so they can't move the wire up or down...Bingo..Lilly and her kids were over in the hay field before I could get back to the house. Danny said we should make lamb chops out of her but I told him that they would be so tough, we wouldn't be able to eat them. I didn't touch the coridals, had a good strong cup of coffee instead! But girls, she is driving me to want to drink!

Jami, let us know when the new baby gets here.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  09:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. I read Grace's post last night of Gary's accident and I sent my prayers and healing well wishes out immediately. I am glad to hear he is better this morning. Thank God your little one was spared but he must have been scared.

A little (stinky) excitement this morning as my partners dog flushed a skunk and she got a full face full. Poor stinky thing. I have never seen a dog with that much on her and she must have had her nose up it's butt when it let loose. She was actually yellow with it. Broke out the tomato juice (home canned of course) and tried to clean her as best we could. Phew!!! I hope she has no lingering effects as she got it at such close range. I have dealt with this before but nothing like this. Of course she doesn't understand why we won't let her in the house. Poor dear. I have been giving her pats on her butt to reassure her but she still stinks pretty bad. Any advice on this one, ladies??? She has to ride home in his truck this afternoon (that should be a LONG ride for all concerned.....!)

Sarita - I live where there is forest. I have lots of pine, fir and willow trees and a few Maples. Some quaking Aspen in the back. All the baskets I have made were either melon baskets or egg baskets made from commercial flat cane. I tried to weave with willow but didn't have any luck getting the project started without a lot of splitting in the willow. Is there a trick I don't know about?? Jami lives more in a prarie type area.

Michele I am glad to hear your bite although sore isn't causing you any more difficulties. Brown recluse bites can be so dangerous. I'll bet you are glad for the drop in humidity.

Congrats on passing your test, I knew you would with flying colors. I don't think I could handle driving a bus load of kids but I am glad someone can.

Gotta run and get some berries picked before the high heat hits - supposed to be in the 90's today. Quite a switch from low 60's on the 4th. No time to acclimate. I got another fleece skirted and picked will wash today - finished washing the other one yesterday.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  10:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Sheri vinegar, lemon juice and dish soap. Works, been there, done that Good luck

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Smell ender: 1 quart peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda 1 T. liquid soap
Mix in a bucket outside, explosive if in a closed container.
This stuff works well too.
I enjoy basket making as well. But I use the boughten stuff. :( Pounding the logs does sound interesting and a good work out. The last baskets I have made are with old barb wire. I just love them. Use them outside. Rusty barb wire, that is not so brittle it breaks. Takes about an hour to make a nice sized basket. You do it just like using reed. I start with 6 or 8 spokes and add the odd one in. I wear pants and wear gloves, but have never been scratched.
Well rest time is over. The gardens are cleaned up and time to hit a few more flower beds. Have not seen any more nasty spiders!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  2:46:32 PM  Show Profile
I will have to catch up in a day or two when I have actually gotten some sleep, but I just wanted to thank you all for the prayers and well wishes! Gary is doing so much better that I had anticipated! Isaiah is fine! What happened was that they were on a dirt road and going up a hill and the ATV started to slide back and Gary was able to stop it long enough for Isaiah to get off and then he tried to put it in reverse to back down the road and it started to slide again and there was nothing he could do but jump off and when he did, he fell backwards down the road and got banged up pretty good! The worst of all of it was when he was released from the hospital, 2 nurses practically threw him into the car and I was in tears! I still can't get over how rough they treated him! I am just so glad that I have him home and out of there!

Sarita, Thank you for the compliments on the yarn!

Talk to you all later!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  11:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Friday check-in. Monica, was Gary not a good patient or what for that sort of treatment? You know, if you're gonna become a nurse, you should care about people. I know nurses make good money and rightly so but that's just not right. I'd be barking up a tree about that...

Which leads me into the next topic of these baskets. Girls, does everyone make baskets but me? I want to learn! Not bad enough to take a class or anything but from a friend. Barbed wire baskets sound fascinating...and a good place to keep my candy stash...LOLLL. Try to get at it, I tell ya! Snort, giggle.

I'm too silly to keep writing today. Not sure what has me so giddy since Fridays are not a big deal with me not working right now. And it's hotter than a southerly place I've heard about today too...whew. And I didn't get to Sterling yesterday so today's the day and Sarita, I know it's going to be bath time for more than just him. : ) I'm like Rae and the skunk potion, been there and done that.

Hope the skunk smell leaves your nose soon Sheri. I find that's the worst part...it just hangs in your nose on those teensy hairs to remind you that you're not alone in this world. And Sheri, I harvest lavender today! Yeah. It just went nutso all of a sudden.

Happy trails and weekend to all of you fine ladies. I'm off to play in the hose...oh joy.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Harvest Lavender...oh that would be a treat! I love to sew up little bags and put dried lavender bags in with wool that I am storing and in my linen drawers. I have tried many times to get it to grow here on this farm but no such luck.
Got out my reed to weave baskets but haven't started yet. Worked in wool all day yesterday. Went to town this morning, Danny is building cabinets for a customer and needed some supplies, Kirksville didn't have what he needed so we will probably do a road trip into Columbia or Kansas City tomorrow. He really wants to finish up with these monster oak cabinets.
I cried to Angie, my daughter, about wanting to make the blog cute...she has been working on it and still has a way to go. She is such a sweety!
I am going to watch youtube to see if I can figure out how to knit both socks at the same time before we make another road trip...love to knit while we travel.
Hey, I got my new Mary Janes mag today at Tracter Supply and it has painted floor cloths in there. I have one in the kitchen that Ang made for me years ago and I love it.
Have a nice week end all...Jami, wish we were closer and you could help me weave baskets...Michele, barb wire? You are one tough chick!

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  2:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Been a long time since I posted! Busy as ever with the sheep...Just wanted to show the four new lambs at the farm. Lily is jet black and is a Leicester Longwool/Border Leicester. We took in her Mama, Lorelei as a bred ewe this spring. Lorelei came from a farm that had to disperse its flock due to the owner having terminal cancer. I did not have room to take all of them, but was able to find homes for the rest. Lorelei has a permanently damaged leg so I had to take her since did not think anyone else would want her. She lambed beautifully and has been a great Mama. Then came Calypso, a purebred brown Leicester Longwool to be Lily's friend. Then two twin East Friesan lambs. The big one is Maddy and her little sister is Amber. Maddy is very protective of little Amber who is half her size. They were a set of triplets and we assume that Amber was the tiniest one! County Fair is next week. Wish us luck with the lambs! Sara

Edited by - lelasfriend on Jul 09 2010 2:22:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page