Pattern by Gail Neumann of Genesee, Idaho.
Knit t-shirts into rugs
Approximately 26″ x 19″
- Size 15 (10.0mm) 29″ circular knitting needles
- 7 large t-shirts
- 90 1″ strips cut from 56″-58″ wide 100 percent cotton knit fabric
- If using t-shirts, cut shirts into 1″ bands widthwise through both layers with a rotary cutter. (Use hem, arms, and collar for stuffing your next pillow.)
Cut circular bands apart at one end, making long, flat strips.
- Connect the 1″ strips together to create “yarn” by cutting a ½″ lengthwise opening in the end of each strip (like a buttonhole) and pulling the next strip through that opening-like putting two rubber bands together.
- Cast on 50 stitches. Knit as many rows as you like-the more you knit, the longer your rug. Cast off.